All member reviews for Gravity

Teen, 17 years old Written bysky65z October 6, 2013

Gravity is an epic masterpiece and one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Firstly to anyone reading this review my computer would not let me click what other families should know about this. So there are positive messages and role models. The main concerns are violence and language. Now that that's out the way this is an amazing movie that must be seen in theaters. The special effects are the best I've ever seen. Okay on to content Violence- not really much very intense throughout one gross scene when they go to retrieve a dead astronauts body but nothing too bad. Note due to intensity of you can't handle suspense or get motion sick easily be weary about watching this movie as it's very suspenseful and goes into 1st person camera a lot. Language- 1 very hard to hear use of the f-word about 20 s-words the occasional d--n and h-ll. pretty light compared to most pg-13 movies these days. The language never felt gratuitous as while I don't approve of profanity it made sense in the situation they were in the entire movie. If you can handle what I've said above GO SEE THIS MOVIE NOW!!!!! It's a cinematic masterpiece that demands to be seen on the big screen
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 October 4, 2013

Gravity is a Groundbreaking movie with an excellent performance from Sandra Bullock

The Positives are the Visual Effects (truly astonishing, mind-blowing and mesmerizing), the cinematography (Excellent and has both close-up shots and far away shots at appropriate times. But the thing that hit me was the long takes. It isn’t done often in movies now a days and is truly a breath of fresh air that they did it in this movie), The Lead performance (Sandra Bullock gives an emotionally complex performance that is one of her best), the character development (I got to know and care about Sandra Bullock and George Clooney’s characters and what they were going through. Both physically and emotionally), the set pieces (They are dazzling and are shown off by long takes and plenty of far away shots), the music (Fit the movie perfectly and gave some emotional feelings), the dialogue (Everything that was said fit the movie and nothing that was said felt out of place), the symbolism (There is two scenes that evoke Christian Symbolism. As a Christian, I loved those two scenes), the Directing (Very good and truly made this film with smart decision making), the length (A breezy ninety minutes that doesn’t waste a second), the 3D (The best 3D film I’ve ever seen. Hands down.), the themes (dealing with Grief and death in a gripping way), the storyline (Simple, but its tense execution was jaw dropping), the ending (It was amazing and truly satisfying). The only negative (For some people possibly) is that the pace is a little slow. In the end, Gravity is an amazing movie with an emotional attachment and a strong backbone. I would highly recommend this film. For parents to know:There is some language (about 20 profanities including a handful of S-words and one subtle f-word) and brief disturbing images (A dead body is show with some of his face missing). It's an adult film. Most kids won't understand the complex nature of the film and will think it's "boring". Please see this film.
Teen, 17 years old Written bylotrlove October 19, 2013

Pleasant Surprise!

It's hard to know what to expect when going into a film with only two cast members inhabiting the endless void of space. I'll admit that I expected to be bored within the first 10 minutes, but I was hooked quickly. This film is a non-stop crash course journey that demonstrates just how powerful human determination can be. Our main character, Ryan (Sandra Bullock), must not only face the emptiness of space, but the emptiness left in her heart after a tragedy in her past. With an epic ending that left my heart racing until the screen turned black, I can honestly say that Gravity was a moving and intriguing film. My only problem is the profanity. There are only about 7 cuss words in the film, but over half of them are exceptionally strong words (1 f-bomb). Given this problem, as well as some brief graphic violence and overall intensity, this movie is definitely not for children.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySean Broucek October 5, 2013

Well-Acted, Intense Film Has True Soul and A Truly Stunning Experience In the Mix, But Only For Older Teens.

Parents, this visually stunning cinematic masterpiece is sure to be on the radar someone in the family, but due to the constant peril and mature themes make it better for older teens. Violence includes extensive peril, imperilment, many astronauts die, including a gruesome image of a hole in a man's face, and the emotional intensity and menacing vibe just adds to the mix. Language is pretty infrequent, but holds the new record for most uses of "f--k" in a PG-13 movie (7), and several uses of "s--t" and "b-tch" are uttered throughout. No sex or drinking. The NASA logo is seen often. In the end, this amazing sci-fi drama is beautifully filmed and well-acted, and on my list, this movie deserves 6/5 stars, and viewers can take home a empowering positive message about the human spirit, but this one is best left the older audience. SUGGESTED MPAA RATING: Rated PG-13 For Some Disturbing Images & Brief Strong Language
Kid, 12 years old October 27, 2013

This Movie Gave Me an Anxiety Attack

This movie is very intense and contains very disturbing images. Do NOT go see it at night, and if you have younger children with you, do NOT watch it in 3D because this movie will scare them ALOT.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySnowyjoe November 3, 2013

Gravity Review

This movie was great, but included a scary scene that had a guy with a piece of debree in his head. Gravity also has quite a bit of swearing. Nevertheless, the role models in Gravity are really good, especially George Clooney.
Kid, 12 years old October 26, 2013

easily best film 2013

Don't listen to anyone who gave this movie less than 5 stars, because it is absolutely amazing, stunning, and breath taking. But it is extremely intense and very sad, so 14+
Kid, 12 years old October 6, 2013

There are not enough words to describe this movie. Incredible. Awe-inspiring, Terrifying. Twelve and Up.

Three words? Terrifying. Mesmerizing. Brilliant. To tell you about this movie would take way to long, so I'll skip that. What YOU need to know, is that this movie is not only about space, but it is about the Gravity of the main characters life. And the movie, which is by far, the most simplistic movie I've ever seen, consisting of only three things, Music, Voices, and The amazing 3-D visuals (3-D film of the year. Easily.) No sound, as there's no sound in space (Which makes it all the more terrifying when things go horribly, horribly wrong, and gives you the feeling of isolation.) Anyway, the movie is masterfully made, and you feel for the characters better than in almost any movie I've seen. Now that's the review. Is it okay for kids? Well, the PG-13 rating here definantly fits, although, the reason it's iffy for Twelve is because unless your kid has been living under a rock for Twelve years, he's probably heard the F-Word at least, like, Fifty times a day. And it appears only once in this movie. But there is a variety of S-Words and lots of mild language. Hence the language bar. (Minor Spoilers ahead, but nothing that will completely ruin the film.) There isn't much violence (and although terrifying, this film proves once and for all, a single drop of blood is not needed in a movie of it to be scary.) and the only thing is the image (Which is the "Disturbing Image" that the MPAA described) of an astronaut that had a shard of some thing hit him at high speed, shatter his helmet, and blow out his brains. The image has no blood, and there is just a hole in the left side of his head that you can see through. The scene is made even more sad, rather than scary by a picture of him and his family which gently floats up to the main character's view. There is a lot of realism to this movie, and every character is believable. The worst part is when George Clooney's character is sent to go get Bullock's character (This is seen in the video review, if you want to watch this scene to check on whether or not you want your kids to see it. It happens so fast though, you can hardly see it.) and as he reaches her, the camera spins around to the character, who is suspended to a rope connected to the spaceship. Suddenly, a block going at the speed of a bullet you se fly across the screen, touch his face, and he is thrust back and slowly floats there, still. Two others are seen controlling and come down frozen and dead when they investigate. In conclusion, I didn't mark violence since there is no violence shown up close, only a split second shot of something hitting someone (Once again, it's in the video review if you want to check.) a mildly shocking, and is incredibly amplified by the increasingly intense score and loud musical cues, but it's still not a "Jump Scare" or "Gorey Bloody Mess" scene of the dead astronaut through his broken helmet, two dead, frozen astronauts (once again, no violence is shown, but a tiny tiny jump that isn't too bad), not to mention constant peril, terror, and stuff blowing up. One story is told about a kid dying after hitting her head. Nothing bloody is described, though. No one is immediately killed up close and on-screen, though. Mild flirting between George Clooney's guy and Bullock's character, nothing that would make it past a PG rating (Other than a mild story that is never finished about two women holding hands at Mardi Gras.) Drinking: Alcohol references. "When we're done, I know where the Russians hide there Vodka." One scene of a character drinking. Over all, YOU MUST SEE THIS MOVIE. One problem is when detailing EVERYTHING about the movie, the fact is that the story's inspirational characters, excellent role models, amazing cinematography, incredible acting, and unparalleled and one-of-a-kind visuals (If you have the chance, the 3-D is more than worth it and is the best 3-D of the year.) and wonderful story about life can be overshadowed by the "There's violence and drinking and language and a guy dies and--" you, when really, once again this is an incredible film about living life and what you would do to keep it. It's haunting score and themes will stay with you long after the credits. There is nothing better that can be said about the movie than Common Sense's review-- the only time I've really felt that Common Sense's review really, really, fit the movie. This is easily Oscar winning material. Bring the Teens (except ones who will find the somewhat slow-paced but still masterful story and character development boring) And be prepared for a once-in-a-lifetime wild ride. Be prepared to be thrilled and impressed.
Kid, 10 years old February 20, 2014

Great movie with great messages.

This movie has a lot but not too much profanity. The violence includes a hole in a man's face, no blood is seen but obviously gore. There is no sex, I mean it all takes place in space so what are you going to do? People mention Facebook which goes under the topic of consumerism in Gravity. There is no drinking or smoking because again, it all takes place in space. So it definitely deserves 4/5 stars.
Kid, 11 years old February 8, 2014

Gravity

Gravity truly is amazing. With stunning and breathtaking videography, it is definitely one of the year's best. The cast offers an amazing and heartbreaking performance. If you have kids under 12, you should know that in Gravity, there is some swearing and near-constant peril, violence, and suspense. There are some disturbing images of dead astronauts. There is one scene where Ryan Stone almost gives up and almost commits suicide by turning off the oxygen in her escape pod. Gravity is a thrill-ride of a movie and will leave you breathless.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySadieDaisy138 November 8, 2013

SEE IT!!!

WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS. This movie is amazing. With amazing shots from space, gripping scenes, and touching moments, 'Gravity' is sure to be remembered. The positive role model is doctor Ryan Stone, who even when faced with death pushes on by herself in the vastness of space. It has a message that you should never give up. A group of satellites destroys space stations and there is a moment where Ryan is flying through space, screaming, and she can't stop herself from spinning. There is also an intense moment where Ryan goes back to her space station to find her companions dead. It is not gory, but definitely surprising. You see one astronaut who is completely frozen and it is assumed that something hit his helmet, because there is just a hole through his face. It isn't bloody at all, though. It is as if you through something through a china doll- you can see through to the other side and it is completely empty inside. Ryan also goes inside the space station to find two astronauts frozen stiff, floating by. There is another intense moment where Ryan almost dies from running out of oxygen, and her vision gets all blurry. Another time that it is sad is when Ryan's partner lets go of Ryan's hand because he is just weighing her down. He floats off into space and you hear him saying, "The view is just so beautiful up here" as he floats away and presumably dies. Another point is when Ryan gives up and starts to turn her oxygen down just so that she'll drift into a permanent sleep, but then she hallucinates that her partner is with her and so she doesn't give up. The final intense scene is when she is flying back to Earth and her capsule is burning up because it isn't meant to land. She then crashes into the water and her window breaks so her capsule starts to flood and sink. It sinks, but Ryan escapes and swims to the surface. There is a sad moment where Ryan explains how her daughter died (she was playing tag, slipped, and hit her head) and then later talks to her already-dead companion, saying "say hi to my daughter. tell her i found her red shoe. it was under the bed.", while crying (this scene made me cry). There are many occurrences of the 's' word and one 'f' word moment that is quietly muttered. The word 'NASA' is all over the place, and also the companies NPR and Facebook are mentioned. This movie is about hope and not giving up. Ryan at first didn't even seem like astronaut material, but she proved me wrong by making it back to Earth. I definitely recommend this film.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 October 15, 2013

Gravity is Very Good

I thought that Gravity was one of the best films of the years. The visual effects are astonishing. There were a couple times I had to remind myself this was filmed in front of a green screen. The acting is incredible also. The two leads (Sandra Bullock and George Clooney) are great. The only problem I had with it was the script. The script is by no means bad but some of it is slow and predictable. Overall I thought Gravity was very well casted and made.
Kid, 8 years old November 29, 2013

Gravity was great!

Gravity was an amazing sci-fi thriller starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, and was directed by Alfonso Cuaron. The movie also had a few scenes of peril and had some scenes that showed dead bodies, which could have been frightening for kids. and it had some swearing that could have been inappropriate for children. Although there was swearing in it, I think it could be all right for some kids under the age of 13. Kids who are 11, 12 probably go every day hearing someone swear. Some kids under the age of 11 could watch this, if they A: are all right with the frightening scenes, and B: are used to hearing people swear. ( there were a few swear words, including f--k, s--t, b--ch, d--n, and h--l, .) This movie kept me hooked and is all right for kids ages 11 and up.
Kid, 12 years old November 4, 2013

Mature 12 and over

Gravity is REALLY Good! Recommended for mature teens.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 October 26, 2013

Thrilling

Gravity is definitely one of the most intense films of the year. It's got Sandra Bullock and George Clooney playing astronauts who's station is hit by a shower of satellite debris, leaving them drifting, alone. There is constant peril but it is all very exciting, and some frequent language. *SPOILER* the two main in character's partner is shown with a big gap through his face after getting hit by scrap going about 150mph and this image is quite disturbing, and there is on jump scene *END OF SPOILER*. Overall this is a scary film who's visual effects are breathtaking and the extra 3D $ is worth it. Great performances too. 11-12+. Grade A
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 October 20, 2013

A remarkable feat

With a headline like that why wouldn't this movie be rated 5 stars? "Gravity" is one of the more technically perfect and visually accomplished movies I've ever seen, perhaps ever made...it was just the dialogue. Mostly from Clooney, his cocksure, easy-going talks with Bullock were probably NOT what one would have said adrift, alone in space. That bothered me, but literally all other aspects are immaculate, the dizzying cinematography, Bullock's intense, emotionally draining performance, and that score that nearly strikes you in the face along with the 3D space debris might top off what could easily become 2013's Best Picture.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShadowofchaos41 October 15, 2013

It was ok

I won't lie at first I thought this would be just crazy and ridiculously good. But it really wasn't. I fell a sleep twice because it was just so, so slow!!!, and then there were the pretty intense scenes. I also didn't care for the ending. Overall it was just ok in my opinion. I'd say wait until it comes to rental. Also lot's of uses if sh*t and 1 F-bomb near the beginning. But overall it wasn't as good as everyone makes it out to be. Barely makes 3 stars in my book.
Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2013

Gravity, brilliant movie recommended for certain people

I usually don't go to see movies in 3-D, but Gravity, I didn't even have to see it in 3-D to know that it would be SPECTACULAR so. Warner Brothers' "Gravity", was an incredible experience with a beautifully designed soundtrack, script and was visually stunning. One of the film's most important features, was the unforgettable intensity, which I guarantee will make your hands sweat. The intensity of the movie is created by a mixture of the soundtrack, graphics great acting and how realistic the movie is in general. Content Alerts: (CONTAINS MINOR SPOILERS) Language: The F word and S word are said several times during the movie, but not overused or exaggerated. Violence: There is no Man-to-man violence in this film, but there is a large amount of destruction and intense survival sequences. Graphical content: There is one brief disturbing image during an attempt to retrieve an astronaut's body (a large hole in the left side of his head with some blood stains) but the scene is made rather more sad than scary, for a picture of his family floats up onto the screen. The image appears for about 5 seconds. PG-13/M (For intense sequences, survival themes coarse language and disturbing images)
Teen, 14 years old Written bySir Ripley October 5, 2013

Gravity is Breathtaking

(spoiler alert below) Wow. That's all I can really say. The cinematography, the special effects, the acting, the characters and the story behind them are just ... wow. Scenes where the main characters are in danger are incredibly exciting, this experience being even more enhanced in 3D. I remember ducking when a shard of debris came flying toward the camera. The music is loud, and more importantly, effective, and some scenes can be a bit of a tearjerker. Or maybe that's just me. I didn't stop crying throughout the entire thing. The positive messages in this movie are fantastic and Ryan Stone is a fantastic role model. In my honest opinion, I find her a more inspirational and stronger character than Katniss Everdeen, who pales with unreal-ism compared to Dr. Stone. George Clooney's character was incredibly lighthearted and bought a quick breath of comic relief into the film when it needed it most. Although, the character I was instantly drawn to was the Indian man who appears at the beginning, who is killed and it is later shown that shrapnel passed through his head, killing him and leaving a gaping hole through his skull. Cue a scene where a photograph of his wife and kid float past which MADE ME CRY THANKS A LOT. Other frightening scenes could include when Ryan Stone goes to investigate the wreck for any survivors, and a frozen body suddenly drops out of nowhere into the frame, and many other scenes where the characters are in danger.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg01 March 9, 2014

Tense, masterfully directed, visually stunning and astonishingly curious film by master director Alfonso Cuaron.

Violence - 3.5/5 - This movie is definitely NOT for sensitive viewers. Ryan Stone, the main character, nearly gets killed in almost every scene in the movie in many intense ways, such as trying to get inside a launch pad while there is a huge fire inside a space shuttle. One gruesome scene shows a man's face torn through half of his face. It's gory, but not terribly bloody or graphic. Several astronauts die from a debris. There is a hint in the movie that an important character dies. Sexy Stuff- 0/5 Language - 3.5/5 - Brief strong language throughout the film. "Sh*t" is said frequently, especally by the main character. "He!l" is said in a memorable line. "Dam#it", "A*s", and "F**k" is said a few times. Commercialism - 1/5 - The NASA sign is unsurprisingly everywhere. Facebook is mentioned once. A Looney Tune action figure is shown once. Drugs - 0/5 Why I love it - For many reasons. One, the cinematography is absolutely beautiful. It's so good that you think that you are in space. I agree with critics that this movie looks like "Life of Pi" in space. Two - Sandra Bullock. Sandra's performance deserves to live up by the name of "Sandy the Bull" because her acting is about as strong as a bull's body (If you're reading this, Sandra, I want you to know that I'm not offending you). She expresses joy, pain, and fear complexibly. Three - Steven Price's score. The score is so well conducted that it brings your heart strings closer to the majestity of the movie. Four - Visual Effects. The visuals are breathtaking. Everything looks real. That's all I have to say. And five - The direction. The direction is so masterful that it brings up tension through harrowing to comforting scenes. He (Alfonso Cuaron) does such an excellent job on changing the actors expressions through difficult situations. He also does a nice job on the details. No wonder he won an Oscar for directing! A lot of things in this movie are entertaining, but it also has what is most important in a movie, a good story. The story shifts from a thriller to a drama expertly. The story also has imagination and candy for the soul. Stop reading reviews now, go rent it, ask your oldest son to go see it with a mom and dad, and enjoy the ride!