All member reviews for Gravity

Intense, astonishing sci-fi thriller has real soul.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byMattmchugh October 27, 2013

Astounding and intense... Might be too much for sensitive preteens

This is an amazing movie. I saw the 3D IMAX and it was well worth the extra money. I found it thoroughly beautiful and moving. However, for kids, it can be challenging. It can be very slow-paced. Dramatically, it works, but it may tax the less patient. Then, there are scenes of peril that are intense and relentless. There are a few gruesome moments where dead bodies are shown, and a few quick f- and s- expletives. A non-believing character struggles to form a prayer -- something I found interesting though folks with a strong religious or atheist bent might take umbrage (not sure why, but strong religious or atheistic folks seem to pounce on opportunities to take umbrage). All in all, I think mature 12 and up can handle this one. Frankly, it's so good -- visually stunning, scientifically accurate (with a few errors), and emotionally vivid -- I think kids SHOULD see it. It is so far beyond most multiplex pap that it's worth a few challenges. Sensitive young ones might be upset at some points, but if they make it through, the overall experience will be uplifting. - mattmchugh
Parent Written byWe Love Movies November 23, 2013

Excellent Movie!

I just saw Gravity with my 11 year old son. The movie is excellent; very intense ... we were on the edge of our seats for the entire thing. The language is NOT significant. Only 1 F bomb (which could be mistaken for another word) and a few S bombs, but nothing outrageous, so don't let the language comments dissuade you. The one "gory" scene of a dead astronaut is predictable, so you can block younger eyes for that minute. Honorable behavior from the characters and an overall positive message. If your child is into Space exploration and science and enjoys movies like Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, The Hobbit, then they will enjoy this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySnowyjoe November 3, 2013

Gravity Review

This movie was great, but included a scary scene that had a guy with a piece of debree in his head. Gravity also has quite a bit of swearing. Nevertheless, the role models in Gravity are really good, especially George Clooney.
Parent Written byizzycoffe December 15, 2013

Amazing!!!

Gravity and Les Misérables, probably are the best movies of this year. In the case of Gravity, this flick is totally a thriller from the start to the end, the visual effects are amazing and they give you the impression of being there up in the space. The plot and the characters are very well developped,and at one point you get to be identified by one of them, I just have to say Sandra Bullock work on this movie is outstanding. The movie violence is very low, but it's pretty intense so definitely not for young kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySadieDaisy138 November 8, 2013

SEE IT!!!

WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS. This movie is amazing. With amazing shots from space, gripping scenes, and touching moments, 'Gravity' is sure to be remembered. The positive role model is doctor Ryan Stone, who even when faced with death pushes on by herself in the vastness of space. It has a message that you should never give up. A group of satellites destroys space stations and there is a moment where Ryan is flying through space, screaming, and she can't stop herself from spinning. There is also an intense moment where Ryan goes back to her space station to find her companions dead. It is not gory, but definitely surprising. You see one astronaut who is completely frozen and it is assumed that something hit his helmet, because there is just a hole through his face. It isn't bloody at all, though. It is as if you through something through a china doll- you can see through to the other side and it is completely empty inside. Ryan also goes inside the space station to find two astronauts frozen stiff, floating by. There is another intense moment where Ryan almost dies from running out of oxygen, and her vision gets all blurry. Another time that it is sad is when Ryan's partner lets go of Ryan's hand because he is just weighing her down. He floats off into space and you hear him saying, "The view is just so beautiful up here" as he floats away and presumably dies. Another point is when Ryan gives up and starts to turn her oxygen down just so that she'll drift into a permanent sleep, but then she hallucinates that her partner is with her and so she doesn't give up. The final intense scene is when she is flying back to Earth and her capsule is burning up because it isn't meant to land. She then crashes into the water and her window breaks so her capsule starts to flood and sink. It sinks, but Ryan escapes and swims to the surface. There is a sad moment where Ryan explains how her daughter died (she was playing tag, slipped, and hit her head) and then later talks to her already-dead companion, saying "say hi to my daughter. tell her i found her red shoe. it was under the bed.", while crying (this scene made me cry). There are many occurrences of the 's' word and one 'f' word moment that is quietly muttered. The word 'NASA' is all over the place, and also the companies NPR and Facebook are mentioned. This movie is about hope and not giving up. Ryan at first didn't even seem like astronaut material, but she proved me wrong by making it back to Earth. I definitely recommend this film.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMoviegoer14 November 9, 2013

Moviegoer14: Gravity (IMAX 3D)

Gravity is an outstanding achievement. Complex but gripping intense drama, deep with lovable characters and insightful visual effects. Perfectly enjoyable in 2D and in 3D, although it adds a piece while in 3D. Absolutely the best film 2013.
Kid, 11 years old November 1, 2013

Great Movie

Best Movie I Have Ever Seen.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThomasLovesCinema November 30, 2013

Just The Start

What i think: EXTREMLY AWESOME. But, what's behind this?. The start of the big bang of cinematography at science fiction, forget science fiction, SCIENCE!. This is not a movie....This..... Is a little piece of masterpiece of the entire world, Stanley Kubrick would be proud
Kid, 8 years old November 29, 2013

Gravity was great!

Gravity was an amazing sci-fi thriller starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, and was directed by Alfonso Cuaron. The movie also had a few scenes of peril and had some scenes that showed dead bodies, which could have been frightening for kids. and it had some swearing that could have been inappropriate for children. Although there was swearing in it, I think it could be all right for some kids under the age of 13. Kids who are 11, 12 probably go every day hearing someone swear. Some kids under the age of 11 could watch this, if they A: are all right with the frightening scenes, and B: are used to hearing people swear. ( there were a few swear words, including f--k, s--t, b--ch, d--n, and h--l, .) This movie kept me hooked and is all right for kids ages 11 and up.
Kid, 8 years old February 1, 2015

Horrible and so boring

This was the most boring movie ever made and nothing happened. It was a little violent with one gory scene. And there was swearing but otherwise this was a horrible movie never see it. And little point and one scary scene. And is fine for kids 10 and up. Don't waste time watching this lame movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written byChristopherGraham January 17, 2015

"Gravity" by Christopher Graham

I thought that this film was very powerful and very effective for people of all ages. The performances were masterful, the direction was superb, the storyline was pitch-perfect, and the concept was very affectionate. Overall, I thought that this film was very powerful and pointed and is one of the greatest experiences I have ever had in a movie. Teens and 14 year olds are meant to see this excellent movie as well as adults. Younger kids should wait till they are older to see this movie based on its intense perilous sequences, disturbing images, and brief strong language.
Educator Written byPahaig101 December 15, 2014

Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 November 11, 2014

(Sighs) I wish there was an alien

Adult Written bykipwalker44 November 6, 2014

Intense, realistic survival tale is visually-astounding, but thin on storyline

Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan October 29, 2014

Gravity movie review

Gravity is one of the best movie experiences I have ever had in my life. The movie had an original idea of an amateur astronaut stuck in space and fighting for her life. I bought this movie when it came out on DVD. When the movie first started, the audio quality was a little off. Then, in the first ten minutes, this movie became a roller-coaster ride. The action in this movie is phenomenal. Alfonso Cuaron directed this movie with so much care. The visual effects are amazing. Sandra Bullock's character sometimes went a little too dramatic. That was one of my only complaints about this movie. Gravity had so many astounding effects. The introduction, the middle, and the conclusion had some of the best effects I have ever seen. Watching this movie, I knew Alfonso Cuaron took time with this film. This movie is not slow at all. There are so many themes within Gravity. The most important one is staying calm in very dangerous situations. That includes having faith. Gravity has amazing cinematography. The frames, the picture quality, and transitions were all beyond expectations. It was one of my favorite movies of 2013 and was the most visually stunning.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew October 25, 2014

Dark emotional thrilling outer space movie has real heart

My rating: PG-13 for intense images,langauge,sensuality,violence and suggestive content
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2014

Great thriller

Violence- 4 (Dead bodies, a hole in someone's head is shown) Language- 2 (One use of f**k)
Kid, 11 years old October 19, 2014

Wonderful & Captivating

Gravity is a wonderful and captivating movie with unbelievable graphics! This is a very high-quality, well-made film. The only thing you should watch out for is a part where a dead astronaut is shown and it can be very disturbing. I highly recommend this book to kids 13+!
Kid, 10 years old August 25, 2014

Awesome!

Violence: 3/5 Language: 2/5 I have to agree what common sense says about this movie.
Adult Written byccb1996 August 16, 2014

A ground breaking roller coaster of a ride

Fasten your seat belts, you're about to go for a ride. Gravity is a stunning movie that doesn't let up for one second. The story follows an astronaut who is marooned in space and is desperately trying to get back to Earth. It is a feat of moviemaking. The visual effects/cinematography are gorgeous, the score ranging from the perilous to the triumphant, and features a beautifully human performance from Sandra Bullock. You will leave this movie feeling uplifted and dazzled, and reminded that hope can even come out of the impossible. There are many intense situations and some language, but this movie should be fine for kids 15 and up.