All member reviews for Gravity

Intense, astonishing sci-fi thriller has real soul.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySadieDaisy138 November 8, 2013

SEE IT!!!

WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS. This movie is amazing. With amazing shots from space, gripping scenes, and touching moments, 'Gravity' is sure to be remembered. The positive role model is doctor Ryan Stone, who even when faced with death pushes on by herself in the vastness of space. It has a message that you should never give up. A group of satellites destroys space stations and there is a moment where Ryan is flying through space, screaming, and she can't stop herself from spinning. There is also an intense moment where Ryan goes back to her space station to find her companions dead. It is not gory, but definitely surprising. You see one astronaut who is completely frozen and it is assumed that something hit his helmet, because there is just a hole through his face. It isn't bloody at all, though. It is as if you through something through a china doll- you can see through to the other side and it is completely empty inside. Ryan also goes inside the space station to find two astronauts frozen stiff, floating by. There is another intense moment where Ryan almost dies from running out of oxygen, and her vision gets all blurry. Another time that it is sad is when Ryan's partner lets go of Ryan's hand because he is just weighing her down. He floats off into space and you hear him saying, "The view is just so beautiful up here" as he floats away and presumably dies. Another point is when Ryan gives up and starts to turn her oxygen down just so that she'll drift into a permanent sleep, but then she hallucinates that her partner is with her and so she doesn't give up. The final intense scene is when she is flying back to Earth and her capsule is burning up because it isn't meant to land. She then crashes into the water and her window breaks so her capsule starts to flood and sink. It sinks, but Ryan escapes and swims to the surface. There is a sad moment where Ryan explains how her daughter died (she was playing tag, slipped, and hit her head) and then later talks to her already-dead companion, saying "say hi to my daughter. tell her i found her red shoe. it was under the bed.", while crying (this scene made me cry). There are many occurrences of the 's' word and one 'f' word moment that is quietly muttered. The word 'NASA' is all over the place, and also the companies NPR and Facebook are mentioned. This movie is about hope and not giving up. Ryan at first didn't even seem like astronaut material, but she proved me wrong by making it back to Earth. I definitely recommend this film.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 October 15, 2013

Gravity is Very Good

I thought that Gravity was one of the best films of the years. The visual effects are astonishing. There were a couple times I had to remind myself this was filmed in front of a green screen. The acting is incredible also. The two leads (Sandra Bullock and George Clooney) are great. The only problem I had with it was the script. The script is by no means bad but some of it is slow and predictable. Overall I thought Gravity was very well casted and made.
Kid, 8 years old November 29, 2013

Gravity was great!

Gravity was an amazing sci-fi thriller starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, and was directed by Alfonso Cuaron. The movie also had a few scenes of peril and had some scenes that showed dead bodies, which could have been frightening for kids. and it had some swearing that could have been inappropriate for children. Although there was swearing in it, I think it could be all right for some kids under the age of 13. Kids who are 11, 12 probably go every day hearing someone swear. Some kids under the age of 11 could watch this, if they A: are all right with the frightening scenes, and B: are used to hearing people swear. ( there were a few swear words, including f--k, s--t, b--ch, d--n, and h--l, .) This movie kept me hooked and is all right for kids ages 11 and up.
Kid, 12 years old November 4, 2013

Mature 12 and over

Gravity is REALLY Good! Recommended for mature teens.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 October 26, 2013

Thrilling

Gravity is definitely one of the most intense films of the year. It's got Sandra Bullock and George Clooney playing astronauts who's station is hit by a shower of satellite debris, leaving them drifting, alone. There is constant peril but it is all very exciting, and some frequent language. *SPOILER* the two main in character's partner is shown with a big gap through his face after getting hit by scrap going about 150mph and this image is quite disturbing, and there is on jump scene *END OF SPOILER*. Overall this is a scary film who's visual effects are breathtaking and the extra 3D $ is worth it. Great performances too. 11-12+. Grade A
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 October 20, 2013

A remarkable feat

With a headline like that why wouldn't this movie be rated 5 stars? "Gravity" is one of the more technically perfect and visually accomplished movies I've ever seen, perhaps ever made...it was just the dialogue. Mostly from Clooney, his cocksure, easy-going talks with Bullock were probably NOT what one would have said adrift, alone in space. That bothered me, but literally all other aspects are immaculate, the dizzying cinematography, Bullock's intense, emotionally draining performance, and that score that nearly strikes you in the face along with the 3D space debris might top off what could easily become 2013's Best Picture.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShadowofchaos41 October 15, 2013

It was ok

I won't lie at first I thought this would be just crazy and ridiculously good. But it really wasn't. I fell a sleep twice because it was just so, so slow!!!, and then there were the pretty intense scenes. I also didn't care for the ending. Overall it was just ok in my opinion. I'd say wait until it comes to rental. Also lot's of uses if sh*t and 1 F-bomb near the beginning. But overall it wasn't as good as everyone makes it out to be. Barely makes 3 stars in my book.
Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2013

Gravity, brilliant movie recommended for certain people

I usually don't go to see movies in 3-D, but Gravity, I didn't even have to see it in 3-D to know that it would be SPECTACULAR so. Warner Brothers' "Gravity", was an incredible experience with a beautifully designed soundtrack, script and was visually stunning. One of the film's most important features, was the unforgettable intensity, which I guarantee will make your hands sweat. The intensity of the movie is created by a mixture of the soundtrack, graphics great acting and how realistic the movie is in general. Content Alerts: (CONTAINS MINOR SPOILERS) Language: The F word and S word are said several times during the movie, but not overused or exaggerated. Violence: There is no Man-to-man violence in this film, but there is a large amount of destruction and intense survival sequences. Graphical content: There is one brief disturbing image during an attempt to retrieve an astronaut's body (a large hole in the left side of his head with some blood stains) but the scene is made rather more sad than scary, for a picture of his family floats up onto the screen. The image appears for about 5 seconds. PG-13/M (For intense sequences, survival themes coarse language and disturbing images)
Adult Written byJEDI micah October 6, 2013

One of the best movies of 2013!!!

Intense, awesome, thrilling, heart-warming, entertaining, amazing, breathtaking - need I go on?! All of these descriptions make this movie a must-see for people looking to be thrilled while entertained! I can already see this movie being nominated for multiple Oscars! SEE THIS MOVIE!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySir Ripley October 5, 2013

Gravity is Breathtaking

(spoiler alert below) Wow. That's all I can really say. The cinematography, the special effects, the acting, the characters and the story behind them are just ... wow. Scenes where the main characters are in danger are incredibly exciting, this experience being even more enhanced in 3D. I remember ducking when a shard of debris came flying toward the camera. The music is loud, and more importantly, effective, and some scenes can be a bit of a tearjerker. Or maybe that's just me. I didn't stop crying throughout the entire thing. The positive messages in this movie are fantastic and Ryan Stone is a fantastic role model. In my honest opinion, I find her a more inspirational and stronger character than Katniss Everdeen, who pales with unreal-ism compared to Dr. Stone. George Clooney's character was incredibly lighthearted and bought a quick breath of comic relief into the film when it needed it most. Although, the character I was instantly drawn to was the Indian man who appears at the beginning, who is killed and it is later shown that shrapnel passed through his head, killing him and leaving a gaping hole through his skull. Cue a scene where a photograph of his wife and kid float past which MADE ME CRY THANKS A LOT. Other frightening scenes could include when Ryan Stone goes to investigate the wreck for any survivors, and a frozen body suddenly drops out of nowhere into the frame, and many other scenes where the characters are in danger.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg01 March 9, 2014

Tense, masterfully directed, visually stunning and astonishingly curious film by master director Alfonso Cuaron.

Violence - 3.5/5 - This movie is definitely NOT for sensitive viewers. Ryan Stone, the main character, nearly gets killed in almost every scene in the movie in many intense ways, such as trying to get inside a launch pad while there is a huge fire inside a space shuttle. One gruesome scene shows a man's face torn through half of his face. It's gory, but not terribly bloody or graphic. Several astronauts die from a debris. There is a hint in the movie that an important character dies. Sexy Stuff- 0/5 Language - 3.5/5 - Brief strong language throughout the film. "Sh*t" is said frequently, especally by the main character. "He!l" is said in a memorable line. "Dam#it", "A*s", and "F**k" is said a few times. Commercialism - 1/5 - The NASA sign is unsurprisingly everywhere. Facebook is mentioned once. A Looney Tune action figure is shown once. Drugs - 0/5 Why I love it - For many reasons. One, the cinematography is absolutely beautiful. It's so good that you think that you are in space. I agree with critics that this movie looks like "Life of Pi" in space. Two - Sandra Bullock. Sandra's performance deserves to live up by the name of "Sandy the Bull" because her acting is about as strong as a bull's body (If you're reading this, Sandra, I want you to know that I'm not offending you). She expresses joy, pain, and fear complexibly. Three - Steven Price's score. The score is so well conducted that it brings your heart strings closer to the majestity of the movie. Four - Visual Effects. The visuals are breathtaking. Everything looks real. That's all I have to say. And five - The direction. The direction is so masterful that it brings up tension through harrowing to comforting scenes. He (Alfonso Cuaron) does such an excellent job on changing the actors expressions through difficult situations. He also does a nice job on the details. No wonder he won an Oscar for directing! A lot of things in this movie are entertaining, but it also has what is most important in a movie, a good story. The story shifts from a thriller to a drama expertly. The story also has imagination and candy for the soul. Stop reading reviews now, go rent it, ask your oldest son to go see it with a mom and dad, and enjoy the ride!
Teen, 15 years old Written byJosh2515 October 14, 2013

Pretty good

This was pretty good It has positive messages about never giving up and self sacrifice. There is quite a bit of language though but the one f- word is barely heard and the only violence is an astronaut gets hit in the face with some metal and there is a huge whole in the mans face that would be way too disturbing for younger kids. The only thing I didn't like was some parts were to drawn out like the opening--you are literally sitting there staring at a picture of earth for like 3 minutes. And some other parts are like that.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCleverJane April 18, 2015

The perfect movie for the little ones trying to get into the thriller genre

I remember seeing this in the cinema. Awesome experience! It was the first thriller - after Michael Jackson's music clip (ha ha) - I had seen.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 March 29, 2015

Gravity is magnificent.

Excellent in every way. The cinematography, visual effects, music, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney's performances were flat out perfect. They are some intense scenes.
Kid, 8 years old February 1, 2015

Horrible and so boring.

My rating PG-13 for: some sci-fi action, language, and brief bloody images.
Teen, 17 years old Written byChristopherGraham January 17, 2015

"Gravity" by Christopher Graham

I thought that this film was very powerful and very effective for people of all ages. The performances were masterful, the direction was superb, the storyline was pitch-perfect, and the concept was very affectionate. Overall, I thought that this film was very powerful and pointed and is one of the greatest experiences I have ever had in a movie. Teens and 14 year olds are meant to see this excellent movie as well as adults. Younger kids should wait till they are older to see this movie based on its intense perilous sequences, disturbing images, and brief strong language.
Educator Written byPahaig101 December 15, 2014

Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 November 11, 2014

(Sighs) I wish there was an alien

Adult Written bykipwalker44 November 6, 2014

Intense, realistic survival tale is visually-astounding, but thin on storyline

Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan October 29, 2014

Gravity movie review

"Gravity" is one of the best movie experiences I have ever had in my life. The movie had an original idea of an amateur astronaut stuck in space and fighting for her life. I bought this movie when it came out on DVD. When the movie first started, the audio quality was a little off. Then, in the first ten minutes, this movie became a roller-coaster ride. The action in this movie is phenomenal. Alfonso Cuaron directed this movie with so much care. The visual effects are amazing. Sandra Bullock's character sometimes went a little too dramatic. That was one of my only complaints about this movie. "Gravity" had so many astounding effects. The introduction, the middle, and the conclusion had some of the best effects I have ever seen. Watching this movie, I knew Alfonso Cuaron took time with this film. This movie is not slow at all. There are so many themes within "Gravity". The most important one is staying calm in very dangerous situations. That includes having faith. "Gravity" has amazing cinematography. The frames, the picture quality, and transitions were all beyond expectations. It was one of my favorite movies of 2013 and was the most visually stunning.