All member reviews for Gravity

Intense, astonishing sci-fi thriller has real soul.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydawg1551 March 9, 2014

Gravity was overall a very well made movie, but it got very predictable and there were some scenes that could be disturbing to younger audiences.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg01 March 9, 2014

Tense, masterfully directed, visually stunning and astonishingly curious film by master director Alfonso Cuaron.

Violence - 3.5/5 - This movie is definitely NOT for sensitive viewers. Ryan Stone, the main character, nearly gets killed in almost every scene in the movie in many intense ways, such as trying to get inside a launch pad while there is a huge fire inside a space shuttle. One gruesome scene shows a man's face torn through half of his face. It's gory, but not terribly bloody or graphic. Several astronauts die from a debris. There is a hint in the movie that an important character dies. Sexy Stuff- 0/5 Language - 3.5/5 - Brief strong language throughout the film. "Sh*t" is said frequently, especally by the main character. "He!l" is said in a memorable line. "Dam#it", "A*s", and "F**k" is said a few times. Commercialism - 1/5 - The NASA sign is unsurprisingly everywhere. Facebook is mentioned once. A Looney Tune action figure is shown once. Drugs - 0/5 Why I love it - For many reasons. One, the cinematography is absolutely beautiful. It's so good that you think that you are in space. I agree with critics that this movie looks like "Life of Pi" in space. Two - Sandra Bullock. Sandra's performance deserves to live up by the name of "Sandy the Bull" because her acting is about as strong as a bull's body (If you're reading this, Sandra, I want you to know that I'm not offending you). She expresses joy, pain, and fear complexibly. Three - Steven Price's score. The score is so well conducted that it brings your heart strings closer to the majestity of the movie. Four - Visual Effects. The visuals are breathtaking. Everything looks real. That's all I have to say. And five - The direction. The direction is so masterful that it brings up tension through harrowing to comforting scenes. He (Alfonso Cuaron) does such an excellent job on changing the actors expressions through difficult situations. He also does a nice job on the details. No wonder he won an Oscar for directing! A lot of things in this movie are entertaining, but it also has what is most important in a movie, a good story. The story shifts from a thriller to a drama expertly. The story also has imagination and candy for the soul. Stop reading reviews now, go rent it, ask your oldest son to go see it with a mom and dad, and enjoy the ride!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKrazyreviews March 7, 2014

Great film with great effects 9.5/10

The movie gravity is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It works better in 3D. Although the film is outstanding, it may be too intense for young viewers. And there is one scene that might disturb sensitive viewers. There is one f bomb in the film that may offend some. Other than that, I recommend gravity for fans of thriller movies.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bymyndseye711 March 7, 2014

Awesome

This was an awesome movie. Positive messages, excellent acting, great effects. There is one f word. In the beginning of the movie she gets loose (which you can see on the commercial). Her fellow astronaut comes to get her, they hook in and begin heading back. It is right then that she says it. Hopefully this helps so that you can mute it. Also, when they get back, the other astronaut has a hole blasted through his face. I doubt many 11 year olds would be bothered by this. But just a heads up for that. Honestly, there are 9 year olds who could watch this if the language were bleeped out--it just depends on your kid. But if you are avoiding it because of the F bomb--don't. It is barely audible, and now you can bleep it. This is a must see!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviefanatic88 March 6, 2014

Quite Amazing.

You don't need me to tell you how good this movie is. It won countless Oscars, had great animation, and great performance. Sandra Bullock delivers as you'd expect, same with George Clooney. Heartbreaking, Hysterical, but also Intense. I was 12 when I saw it and I did just fine, so did my 12-year-old friend who is 5 months younger. Not much of a message, but if there is one it might be to preserver because, no matter what, life is worth it.
Kid, 12 years old March 4, 2014

Don't understanding phenomenon - poor acting, nice effects.

One jump-scare involving dead bodies, explosion, some "f--k" and "hell", "damn", "God", "Jesus". Know your kid. Oh, and some drinking. And... NASA logo. Just saying.
Teen, 16 years old Written byStevie111 March 2, 2014

Very Surprised, good movie with beautiful cinematography

Dead bodies and broken heads, 1-2 f-words, very intense, and lots of dramatic themes. I thought this would stink, but it was surprisingly good and exciting.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJrAguja1997 March 2, 2014

Great movie, but note some viewers might get bored

While it's age-friendly despite its occasional use of swearing, the movie Gravity has a good message and has a great role model. Note that violence isn't quite big and no sex references were made in the movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThenextdirector March 1, 2014

Amazing!

I just saw this movie last night. I thought it was amazing! The graphics were awesome and it had a great storyline. There were some disturbing images of dead bodies, and some struggling between the two main characters. That's why I think this movie is good for 13 and over. If you have not seen this movie, you have to! It was way better than I expected!!
Adult Written byTekman2014 March 1, 2014

Gravity

This Movie I thought personally was a astonishing movie. Many people thought this was related to science. But, people got a doubt after the rating pg13. Overall this movie I think should be for 12+. It has got some violence, no sex at all, some blood, and some uses of strong language.
Adult Written bychristian2011 February 28, 2014

Intense, provocative and mind-bending. A visual masterpiece.

Gravity is definitely renowned for it's astonishing, realistic special effects and I have to say, definitely not a contradiction - I was just amazed at how the film industry is improvising on the special effects, and a prime example is this particular film. The acting performances by Bullock and Clooney are always great, yet Bullock really projects her emotions and poignant realism into this movie. This movie doesn't just showcase peril and terror, it also interprets faith and confidence. She plays as a medical engineer who is working on a satellite alongside other 2 astronauts, until a huge wave of debris flies and demolishes most of their space shuttle, then the aftermath and revelation of the incident occurs. Gravity is an amazing portrayal of courage and faith, in conjunction with incredible special effects of the setting and background showing a vivid magnified view of planet Earth. Gravity does show a brief but graphic image of a mutilated human corpse, including some indecent language (such as d*mn, h*ll, sh*t). However, if you are claustrophobic, Gravity may be a uncomfortable experience.
Teen, 15 years old Written byragtagmisfit February 20, 2014

Fantastic movie!

I loved this movie! It is meant to be a thriller but without the typical ghosts or murderers. I think whether or not you can handle it is less about age and more about what freaks you out. It is scary in a more oblivion sort of sense rather than a Chucky-murder movie. This movie can be scary for a lot of viewers of a lot of ages. The movie also has many four letter words, but nothing any tween or teen hasn't heard. I'd say it all depends on the child (or adult!), but most 12 year olds and up can handle it.
Kid, 10 years old February 20, 2014

Great movie with great messages.

This movie has a lot but not too much profanity. The violence includes a hole in a man's face, no blood is seen but obviously gore. There is no sex, I mean it all takes place in space so what are you going to do? People mention Facebook which goes under the topic of consumerism in Gravity. There is no drinking or smoking because again, it all takes place in space. So it definitely deserves 4/5 stars.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMattdirect10 February 18, 2014

One of the best Sci-Fi films of all time

Gravity has some of the best VFX I've seen in 2013. The film is very intense and goes by pretty quick. Definitely earns the Oscars for Best Cinematography, VFX and Director.
Kid, 11 years old February 8, 2014

Gravity

Gravity truly is amazing. With stunning and breathtaking videography, it is definitely one of the year's best. The cast offers an amazing and heartbreaking performance. If you have kids under 12, you should know that in Gravity, there is some swearing and near-constant peril, violence, and suspense. There are some disturbing images of dead astronauts. There is one scene where Ryan Stone almost gives up and almost commits suicide by turning off the oxygen in her escape pod. Gravity is a thrill-ride of a movie and will leave you breathless.
Kid, 9 years old January 21, 2014

Emotional, powerful, and utterly astonishing!

What parents should know: I think Gravity is a beautifully done film, but there are several things you should take note of. The overall plot is highly intense and stressful, and that might be too much for young viewers to handle (especially in 3D). One scene is really violent (it's not too much, but it's graphic and obviously noticeable), and there is a bit of bad language every now and then (some of which is pretty bad for smaller kids). The stress and drama can really attract you, however, and Sandra Bullock is usually an amazing actor. Some of the MUSIC, surprisingly, adds to suspense, and startled me a little bit, and the total silence of the first scene kind of freaked me out. If you like drama, action, and awesome actors (even with all that stuff I said), Gravity is the movie for you! What kids should know: The movie itself shocked me, amazed me, kept me on the edge of my seat, and partially scared me. Sci-fi isn't my average genre, but I love dramas too. Gravity is both! The one scene I mentioned in the other part of this review might disturb younger viewers, and if you haven't seen a drama film before, the overall intensity might be too much for you. However, if you have, then see this right away! I honestly think it's awesome in 3D, but that might not work if you get a headache from it! :D What I like about it: Almost everything! This is a powerful film about never giving up, no matter how horrible the circumstances may be. The visual/special effects are breath-taking, and I started crying at the end.........that was how happy I was! If I had a rating for this movie, it would be: PG-13 for strongly emotional thematic material throughout, one scene involving violence, some stressful situations, and strong language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBoyOfDestiny55 January 21, 2014

Gravity: Great for most kids: unnecessary gore in 2 scenes.

Gravity is an AMAZING film by Sandra Bullock. This film features a strong female lead, and is an amazing film! Most Tweens can handle the intense suspense and "Running Out Of Oxygen" stress, but what really threw me off was a scene that was not only scientifically inaccurate, but disturbing and unnecessary. In 2 scenes, (Maybe lasting a combined 45 seconds) It is shown, graphically, that all of the other astronauts are dead, impaled by bits of metal and their faces blown off. This sequence will be easy to just close your eyes during, but was not needed and I feel in fact degraded the film. The only other real issue is swearing. An occasional F--- and S--t are peppered throughout the movie, but only in extreme peril. It is passive and the viewer usually drains it out with the tension of the current scene, so it's not much to worry about unless you have a parrot for a kid. I guess this is a small note, that doesn't matter if your kid can already handle the listed issues, but George Clooney's character is definately flirtatious with Bullock, but it is mainly played for laughs, which are valuable in such a tense flick. Overall, I say pause for 11 and under, only because of the easy to avoid graphic sequence, and the swearing, which is not a thing that happens very frequently.
Kid, 10 years old January 21, 2014

Gravity Review

Just Fine. Awesome, I mean AWESOME acting, directing, and visual effects in IMAX 3-D. But the story, and plot, and the main part of the story. No. No. I'd be willing to get in on DVD when it comes out though.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJNfilmcritic January 20, 2014

The best sci fi film ever made

Gravity is the best film of 2013. But it is very tense and very scary. We see many soundless explosions that may frighten kids under 12. There are normal PG 13 profanites but you hardly notice it due to the films fast pace and intense action. This is the most beautiful,nail biting and emotional film i've ever seen and the best science fiction film ever made. This film must be seen
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2014

Outstanding! A must-see!

This movie is amazing in every way! The acting and screenplay are great, the visual effects are dazzling, and the story-line is pretty good, too. I think this movie is too intense for young children, since there are many parts that would scare them, including one gory image. But kids 13 and up (and adults of all ages) will love this movie!