Musical phenomenon is still great fun but quite racy.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byMomMcA October 20, 2010

fine for older kids, but not for tweens

While I loved this movie as a teen (I was around 11 when it came out) my parents were SURE to have a talk with me about the choices Sandy was making, and why she was being bullied. (it's pretty clear she must conform to being the sex toy of a boy.... in the late 70s this wasn't a hit with feminists I am guessing). Some 8 year olds in my daughter's circle of friends are in love with this film, and guess what bullying behavior they are mimicking? "Pink Ladies" at 8- going after my kid for not being sexy enough? no kidding. I suggest parents re-watch this classic in private before they have their kids trying to mimic it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytheflickchick March 29, 2011

good

the bad stuff: a lot of kissing and making out, some language, the S word on a song, teens smoking and drinking. the good stuff: no positive role models or messages, so i think the only good thing was the movie itself. the movie: OK if you don't like musicals, good if you do
Adult Written bymom 4 ever April 9, 2008
Parent Written byBoomct June 30, 2012

Suitable for 13 year olds? Not on your life!

Really unsuitable message for kids, and certainly not for 13 year olds. But if you want your daughter to learn that she should to change her image and look and act like a tart and that this will result in happiness for all, then go ahead. Too much promiscuity and not the sort of message we should be giving our kids, even though the music and dancing is undoubtably entertaining. Stay away from this one until you're old enough to analyze the issues maturely.
Kid, 12 years old March 6, 2011

Grease: Cool Classic?

The T-Birds smoke and drink, but they also refer to girls as useful for only the purpose of having sex. This greatly bothers me. I am a girl, and girls are a lot more useful than that. We've helped the planet, invented important things (Madame Marie Curie even discovered two elements, and Mary Annings discovered the sharklike Ichthyosaur!). We've made lasting impacts on the science, art, sports, and literature worlds. Girls are people you should respects as much as yourselves, boys. The Pink Ladies is a clique who makes fun of Sandy, who did nothing wrong. Riz, the lead girl, mocks Sandy's wise choices not to do drugs or have sex before marriage. I felt uncomfortable watching this movie and although the songs may be cute and catchy, this movie is sexist and promotes inappropriate things.
Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 10, 2009

Classic Movie Musical about High School Romance!

I watched this movie when I was seven and I always walked around with my hair slicked back and a leather jacket on. I watched it when I had taken adolecensce classes and it made more sense. They don't show anything bad. Making out and some brief language is all you have to worry about. Great Movie for a summer night!!
Adult Written byilovegodsomuch July 29, 2011

Grease is the word!

This was my absolute favorite movie when I was younger and to be honest it still ranks high. It's not dirty or offensive, it's a musical! Sandy is a strong women who acts as a wonderful role-model.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper June 20, 2010
It is a great movie, but only for older kids because: Sex: Many references to sex (nothing to over the top) and couples are seen making out. They also talk about virginity and broken condoms and a girl thinks she is pregnant. Language: Many uses of "crap" as well as a couple "hell"'s, and one "@$$". The song "Greased Lightning" says "s**t" t*t" and "p*ssy". Drugs: Lots of smoking and underaged drinking
Parent of a 4, 6, 9, 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byNerdy_Mamma February 1, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written byJosieGrl April 16, 2011

good movie

I saw this when i was like five and i loved it. everything went straight over my head, now that i think about it. So if you do show kids this just tell them not to say or do whatever bad thing comes up in the movie.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bySchwim August 2, 2010

Not appropriate for tweens

Started to watch this last night with my almost 13-year old boy/girl twins. I was really disappointed in a) how bad it seemed now after all these years since I last saw it and b) how inappropriate it was--constant references to sex, "flog your log," etc. etc. I think this isn't appropriate for tweens
Kid, 11 years old December 31, 2009

Great movie!

I love grease ! I have seen it 17 times. It is a great movie and I would suggest it. But I think there is a little too much sexy stuff, and some of language is questionable. Also it encourages girls to change for boys. Like I said before this is my favorite movie ever. It all depends on how mature your kids are. I watched Grease by myself because my mom thought I could handle it, but I'm not every kid out there.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byUGA Mom June 8, 2010

Good for high schoolers

I saw this movie in the theaters when I was almost 15 and it was a little racy but of course I knew it all back then. Now, as a parent, I won't let my kids under 13 watch it. If your child listens to the dialogue there are several inappropriate mentions of sex, virginity, teen pregnancy and slutty girls. The only redeeming thing about Sandy changing in the end is that Danny tried to change for her as well.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydark rose April 9, 2008

Hmmm

good music but a lot of stuff that stinks. some of the stuff in this movie is really awesome but the other stuff is totally inapropriate. this movie has no right to have a PG rating.
Adult Written byDisneyFan April 9, 2008

A CLassic

I grew up wanting to be Olivia Newton-John and watching this movie over and over again; however, once I watched it as an adult, I realized how filthy it really is. Grease Lightening is a foul, nasty song. That said, I think you need to be careful about kids watching it--no matter how great of a movie it is. My son is at the age where he WOULD get what's going on, so I wouldn't want him watching. Perhaps younger kids won't catch onto the sexual dialogue, thereby making it actually okay for them to watch. This definately should have been a PG-13 movie, but they didn't have that rating at the time.
Adult Written bySophieM 1 January 5, 2016

great movie!

I saw this movie when i as ten and it was the reason i started doing plays. It has a great character and plot set up and even though there is some language and other inappropriate content, its has got a great story. I watch it all the time. Regarding the time it was written, these actions actions are normal.
Kid, 11 years old April 3, 2011

not for younger kids but good for tweens

this is my favorite movie but it isnt appropriate for younger kids. some songs have suggestive content. such as summer nights. greased lightning, and look at me i'm sandra dee. the gym teacher also approves of danny smoking a certain amount pack of cigarettes a day. But over all it was great movie.
Adult Written bysoymissk8 April 9, 2008

When I first saw this movie I was 13...

ANd I was SHOCKED. I knew kids who memorized the entire soudntrack in 4th grade and it was one of those movies I knew I'd see, just didn't get around to it until later. I was offended by some of the themes and shocked that it was "acceptable" for young kids! The fact that Sandy has to change herself and darkens up for some guy... and the teen pregnancy. Today I enjoy the film, but I'm 21. I think the themes are not suited for kids under 13.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMamaBearNJ December 4, 2015

Bad messages: "Don't Be Yourself! Conform!"

I think Common Sense Media needs buttons for "bad messages" and "bad role models." Sex and violence aren't the only messages we need to watch out for--although they're here, too. Sandy is picked on by other girls (today we'd call it social bullying) and even the boy who's attracted to her treats her shabbily until she learns that the secret to happiness is to conform to the norms of her peer group in everything, from clothes and hair to sexual availability. What a message for kids--or anybody! I first saw this when I was about 14, and it appalled me the way it seemed to vindicate the bullies and make the "good girl" the one who needed to "shape up." Not to mention the message implicit in Rizzo's pregnancy false alarm. "Don't worry--it won't really happen, so go on playing around." If you want to show this to kids for the fun song and dance numbers, then I'd advise adding a strong dose of talking about what would be better ways for the characters to behave.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 5, 2014

Love It

I love this film, it's a classic, well known, people love it, however some people may have issues with the sexual content in this film. I don't see it as a problem personally, it shows some good lessons in this movie and none of it concerns me all too much.