All member reviews for Grease

Musical phenomenon is still great fun, but quite racy.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byMomMcA October 20, 2010

fine for older kids, but not for tweens

While I loved this movie as a teen (I was around 11 when it came out) my parents were SURE to have a talk with me about the choices Sandy was making, and why she was being bullied. (it's pretty clear she must conform to being the sex toy of a boy.... in the late 70s this wasn't a hit with feminists I am guessing). Some 8 year olds in my daughter's circle of friends are in love with this film, and guess what bullying behavior they are mimicking? "Pink Ladies" at 8- going after my kid for not being sexy enough? no kidding. I suggest parents re-watch this classic in private before they have their kids trying to mimic it.
Adult Written bymom 4 ever April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written bytheflickchick March 29, 2011

good

the bad stuff: a lot of kissing and making out, some language, the S word on a song, teens smoking and drinking. the good stuff: no positive role models or messages, so i think the only good thing was the movie itself. the movie: OK if you don't like musicals, good if you do
Parent Written byBoomct June 30, 2012

Suitable for 13 year olds? Not on your life!

Really unsuitable message for kids, and certainly not for 13 year olds. But if you want your daughter to learn that she should to change her image and look and act like a tart and that this will result in happiness for all, then go ahead. Too much promiscuity and not the sort of message we should be giving our kids, even though the music and dancing is undoubtably entertaining. Stay away from this one until you're old enough to analyze the issues maturely.
Written byAnonymous December 12, 2012

I can't believe that all that content was going in but I didn't sing with it. Today's kids don't watch this movie is not for you.

The Song called Grease Lightnin' has Strong Sexual Content in this song in the movie. I can't believed that I watch this when I was Under 13 years old. ...and this movie is bad for kids too oh no!. This should have been Rated R. By the way they have the Sing-a-Long Version being Rated PG-13 and should be Rated NC-17 because of the Sexual Content in the Song Grease Lightnin' and should not be watched by kids and teens at all Minus 18 & 19 Year Olds.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper June 20, 2010

It is a great movie, but only for older kids because: Sex: Many references to sex (nothing to over the top) and couples are seen making out. They also talk about virginity and broken condoms and a girl thinks she is pregnant. Language: Many uses of "crap" as well as a couple "hell"'s, and one "@$$". The song "Greased Lightning" says "s**t" t*t" and "p*ssy". Drugs: Lots of smoking and underaged drinking
Parent Written byKendall2 June 1, 2013

Wow, Threw this Movie in the Trash as Soon as I Reviewed it!

I'm shocked that this movie has so many positive reviews. I previewed it recently, knowing that it was popular and hoping that it would be a fun movie for my kids to watch. I didn't enjoy it at all. It was raunchy and unbelievably silly. The exaggerated, stereotypical behavior of the characters was very annoying. I'm surprised that John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John accepted parts in this movie. The cheap sexual innuendos, silly, sleezy songs, corny jokes and lack of morals of most of the characters made this movie a complete waste of time, in my opinion. I don't plan to let my kids or teens watch it but I couldn't get them to watch it if I tried. They would all say, "Mom, where did you find such a stupid movie?" I disagree that it would be okay to let younger children watch it because even if they didn't understand the sexual content, the tone of the movie wouldn't go over their heads.
Kid, 11 years old April 3, 2011

not for younger kids but good for tweens

this is my favorite movie but it isnt appropriate for younger kids. some songs have suggestive content. such as summer nights. greased lightning, and look at me i'm sandra dee. the gym teacher also approves of danny smoking a certain amount pack of cigarettes a day. But over all it was great movie.
Kid, 11 years old December 31, 2009

Great movie!

I love grease ! I have seen it 17 times. It is a great movie and I would suggest it. But I think there is a little too much sexy stuff, and some of language is questionable. Also it encourages girls to change for boys. Like I said before this is my favorite movie ever. It all depends on how mature your kids are. I watched Grease by myself because my mom thought I could handle it, but I'm not every kid out there.
Parent of a 3 and 9 year old Written bymoviemum July 24, 2009

Great Movie!

One of my favorites, but soooo inappropriate! But, buy the CD and liston We Go Together, You're The One That I Want, Hopelssly Devoted, and Summer Nights although you might consider it a bit iffy!
Adult Written byDisneyFan April 9, 2008

A CLassic

I grew up wanting to be Olivia Newton-John and watching this movie over and over again; however, once I watched it as an adult, I realized how filthy it really is. Grease Lightening is a foul, nasty song. That said, I think you need to be careful about kids watching it--no matter how great of a movie it is. My son is at the age where he WOULD get what's going on, so I wouldn't want him watching. Perhaps younger kids won't catch onto the sexual dialogue, thereby making it actually okay for them to watch. This definately should have been a PG-13 movie, but they didn't have that rating at the time.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJosieGrl April 16, 2011

good movie

I saw this when i was like five and i loved it. everything went straight over my head, now that i think about it. So if you do show kids this just tell them not to say or do whatever bad thing comes up in the movie.
Kid, 12 years old March 6, 2011

Grease: Cool Classic?

The T-Birds smoke and drink, but they also refer to girls as useful for only the purpose of having sex. This greatly bothers me. I am a girl, and girls are a lot more useful than that. We've helped the planet, invented important things (Madame Marie Curie even discovered two elements, and Mary Annings discovered the sharklike Ichthyosaur!). We've made lasting impacts on the science, art, sports, and literature worlds. Girls are people you should respects as much as yourselves, boys. The Pink Ladies is a clique who makes fun of Sandy, who did nothing wrong. Riz, the lead girl, mocks Sandy's wise choices not to do drugs or have sex before marriage. I felt uncomfortable watching this movie and although the songs may be cute and catchy, this movie is sexist and promotes inappropriate things.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bySchwim August 2, 2010

Not appropriate for tweens

Started to watch this last night with my almost 13-year old boy/girl twins. I was really disappointed in a) how bad it seemed now after all these years since I last saw it and b) how inappropriate it was--constant references to sex, "flog your log," etc. etc. I think this isn't appropriate for tweens
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byUGA Mom June 8, 2010

Good for high schoolers

I saw this movie in the theaters when I was almost 15 and it was a little racy but of course I knew it all back then. Now, as a parent, I won't let my kids under 13 watch it. If your child listens to the dialogue there are several inappropriate mentions of sex, virginity, teen pregnancy and slutty girls. The only redeeming thing about Sandy changing in the end is that Danny tried to change for her as well.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydark rose April 9, 2008

Hmmm

good music but a lot of stuff that stinks. some of the stuff in this movie is really awesome but the other stuff is totally inapropriate. this movie has no right to have a PG rating.
Educator Written bySaskiwi August 9, 2013

Icky...

It depresses me that this is considered great tween viewing. The overall message is abysmal- be a tramp and get your man. Yes the songs are catchy and have become iconic over the years, but it still is kind of awful that we feed this pap to young kids without a second thought... Definitely only for teens in my book and only after some conversations about peer pressure and sexual choices!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydreweth August 30, 2009

Classic movie rated before "PG-13", keep that in mind.

No doubt about it. "Grease" is a classic. Just a classic that should be showed to people 13 and up. Lots of talk about sex between the T-Pig- I mean the T-birds sadly portray gangs in High School accurately.
Adult Written bysoymissk8 April 9, 2008

When I first saw this movie I was 13...

ANd I was SHOCKED. I knew kids who memorized the entire soudntrack in 4th grade and it was one of those movies I knew I'd see, just didn't get around to it until later. I was offended by some of the themes and shocked that it was "acceptable" for young kids! The fact that Sandy has to change herself and darkens up for some guy... and the teen pregnancy. Today I enjoy the film, but I'm 21. I think the themes are not suited for kids under 13.
Adult Written byilovegodsomuch July 29, 2011

Grease is the word!

This was my absolute favorite movie when I was younger and to be honest it still ranks high. It's not dirty or offensive, it's a musical! Sandy is a strong women who acts as a wonderful role-model.