All member reviews for Grease

Musical phenomenon is great fun, but a bit racy.

Age

Teen, 14 years old Written bytigerheart3495 January 19, 2015

Great 50s Fun

While it was a little sexy, Grease was great and most of the bad stuff went right over my head. Maybe watch it first before showing it to your kids.
Adult Written byopalwolf219 January 17, 2015

Grease

Grease is better for older audiences.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 11 year old Written byMHR75killsU January 6, 2015

An Iconic Musical Gives More Than Entertainment

I loved this film growing up and I still love it now. However, as a father, I am given as much pause in this film now as I am enjoyment. Released (to the best of my knowledge) before the PG-13 rating was created, this film is loaded with sexual content. The first half of the movie seems to have almost one sexual reference or more per line of lyric or sentence of dialogue. That being said, there is a positive takeaway message to be seen in the two main characters. While Danny was a different person, maybe his real self, with Sandy, he did a 180 with his friends. In the beginning of the movie you could point out to your teens how he is unhappy because he changes himself to please others. By the end of the movie we see both Danny and Sandy change themselves almost completely to make the other happy but they end up finding a common ground.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykc123 December 22, 2014

Amazing

Definitely my favourite movie of all time. There is some bad language in it, but kids are most likely not to understand most of the things they say. Definitely worth it to watch, it's one of those movies that you get sad when it's over. You just have fun through the whole thing.
Adult Written bys80 December 16, 2014

For 12 year olds?

Really? This site thinks it's appropriate for 12-year-olds to watch a musical with a song that refers to a car as a "pu...sy wagon" and sends the overall message that if you change everything about your identity, then and only then will the person you're interested in accept you. This movie is much more perverse than most R-rated comedies. The main character, a high school student, is viewed as prudish and arrogant because she's a virgin, and the only way this problem is dealt with is when that character sheds her image and becomes what she thinks everybody else wants her to be with no negative repercussions. Sure, they don't show any sex, but the message behind every scene (often in an insidious manner) is that teens must do it.
Kid, 12 years old October 8, 2014

This is it. Stuff the sequel. This, is the best of the musicals, and, Paramount can never remake it.

John Travolta... Olivia Newton-John, in this classic of a film. This is it. Stuff the sequel. Violence includes a car door, hitting someone, in the face, by accident, but, no blood. Car crashes and stuff. The sex stuff is all references and minimal stuff. PG-13 these days. Softer PG-13. Language includes "sh--", "t-t", "h-ll", et-cetera. Smoking, throughout the teenagers.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 5, 2014

Love It

I love this film, it's a classic, well known, people love it, however some people may have issues with the sexual content in this film. I don't see it as a problem personally, it shows some good lessons in this movie and none of it concerns me all too much.
Kid, 12 years old September 5, 2014

I really like this movie, but I don't like the ending. Sandy changes herself completely so she can fit in and have Danny. Bad message...
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2014

Not Good

I would not recommend this movie. The message is basically, "If your boyfriend doesn't like you, you're not good enough. You need to change into a sleazy creep who does drugs and wears tight pants." The friends are disloyal and mean to each other. There are two redeeming qualities: Frenchie and some of the singing.
Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2014

great movie

its really great but there is kissing cigars and beer and ear piercing at home the music is great but i would recommend it for mature 12 year olds and up
Teen, 14 years old Written byErin_aimeee April 1, 2014

this is a terrible movie.

honestly it isn't worth your time. there's nothing good about it. It is honestly a terrible movie about a girl who gets jealous when john travolta is seen with other girls. i mean who cares??????? the songs are so annoying.
Teen, 16 years old Written bygilly_boy February 18, 2014

psycology doesn't make a lick of sense here

I don't see how this could be a classic, this movie doesn't tell people anything! It definitely gave the wrong message in the ending: If you like someone a lot, change yourself to fit the bill. Lie! There is also the fact that the story makes barely any sense; I get that Danny was being a jerk in the beginning because of peer pressure but does it have to go on and off through out the movie. I can understand why Sandy will get made at Danny for those jerky moments but why does she keep going after him. Maybe it's the time period this takes place in and that's why I don't understand but this is ridiculous. I wish I could erase my mind this is so bad.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTruman Burbank November 27, 2013

I watched this with my parents!

Grease. Grease is a fun musical with great acting and very funny scenes. John travolta is GREAT as Danny, and Olivia Newton John is deliciously over the top as Sandy. Though it is funny, it is pretty raunchy, but the majority of it will go over a child's head. sex and nudity: 5.5/10. Quite a lot of innuendo and dialogue, but not much is actually shown. But, there are still referances to "Gang bangs" "French kisses" "Unprotected intercourse" and "Flogging your log". Violence: 2/10. Pretty much nothing. One mildly intense car chase, but it doesn't get much worse than that. Alcohol and drugs: 5/10. A lot of under age drinking, and under age smoking too. There is also references to drugs, but they don't ever get to bad. Language: 5/10. The F-word is used in italian, and a few s**ts are scattered throughout. though its unlikely anyone in he family will pick up the foreign curse words, and i'm sure the kids will be able to take the "s" words. Grease is't a perfect film, but it is still a lot of fun while you watch it. It gets pretty sexy at times, but in my opinion, nothing a 8 year old can't handle.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLilly Jones17 November 15, 2013

Great for kids 2 and up!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing really bad, just a few curse words and a little butt to balls.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBroadwayFan7 November 8, 2013

Good Classic Movie for Teens

Grease is a great movie for older teens and adults. It has some very catchy songs, and the dancing is also awesome. The characters are very likeable, even Rizzo, who I felt sorry for, and teens could probably identify with them. Grease wouldn't be good for younger children because of the language, references to sex, and several makeout scenes. I would definitely recommend watching this if you love musicals, comedies, John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written bydrewhinkle September 29, 2013

too racy

Teen, 13 years old Written byhiphoph June 28, 2013

Great Music, Iffy Story Line

Grease is a musical about romances between different high-school couples, focusing on Sandy and Danny. Though the film has great music, a lot of the film focuses on sex. A boy is shown looking up a girl's skirt. In one scene, a couple is shown making out in a car. Later in the scene, they talk about a broken condom (which the guy states that he had bought in seventh grade) and it leads to the girl being afraid that she might be pregnant. Danny tries to go farther with Sandy than she wants. An older man hits on a teenager. All of the songs have iffy lyrics (swearing and one song that's making fun of Sandy for being modest). Teenagers are shown smoking. Danny tries to fight multiple people, though the fight never really happens. At the end of the film, Sandy and Danny both try to change for each other (mostly through clothing), though it bothered me that Danny took his jacket off at the end, making it like Sandy was the only one willing to change. I also felt that the ending of the film almost told viewers that if you have to act trashy to get a guy, that's fine. I love the music, don't like the story line.
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2013

Grease lightning

Kid, 11 years old May 14, 2013

Grease is the word

As a child I think that Grease is a fun musical that everyone should see. Yes it can get a little inappropriate such as sex, drugs, and language, but at the end you know that you love it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJennypenny123 April 1, 2013

Grease

Great movie I have seen It multiple times. I recommend that kids at the age of 13 or 14 to watch this movie, because of the sexual content, language, drinking and smoking.