All member reviews for Grosse Pointe Blank

Quirky mix of laughs, romance, strong violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written byexa121RC January 9, 2012

Excellent action comedy for teens and up

This is an excellent action-comedy about a professional hit-man who builds a romantic relationship with his former prom date while visiting his hometown on a mission to assassinate an important person. It is a bit tame for an R rating, it contains occasional strong language and infrequent but strong violence, though not overly so. I'm mature (not to brag) and I first watched it at 9 but for average kids, 13 and up is definitely OK.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygerbowski December 8, 2012

Darkly comic film is actually pretty good

This movie is a pretty funny, but dark comedy with quite a bit of violence. Since its about a hit-man, that's understandable, and most of it fits well within the story-line. John Cusack is very good as the serious, but funny assassin going back home for his high school reunion. Most older teens should be ok with this one, as the violence is not gratuitous.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 February 27, 2015

Dark comedy never takes things too seriously

One of my all-time favorite movies features hitmen contemplating their lives: "In Bruges," and the instant attraction of the similarity of plots and the four big names headlining the movie made me watch it! I haven't seen a great deal of John Cusack's 80s work: I've seen the better part of "Better Off Dead," haven't seen "Say Anything" and HAVE seen him in "2012." So you'll forgive me when I say I like him but just don't care about him a great deal. "GPB" changed that indefinitely. His charisma onscreen is alarming, his chemistry with his therapist, love interest and rival all share a warmth to them, even if he is quite snarky. He just completely carries this film, and the credits given to him show that he was heavily involved, co-writing and co-producing this as well. It's a passion project for sure. The only one they waste is Alan Arkin as a kind of therapist, he doesn't really go anywhere except to serve as exposition. But oh boy, Cusack's rapid-fire exchanges with Minnie Driver (perfect American accent BTW) and especially his diner sequence with Dan Akroyd, who has a ball here, are electric. My biggest complaint here is that there was fat to trim, and when he interacts with the quirky characters of Grosse Pointe, those are the moments that lose me. But I'm glad I watched it, I recommend it to older movie-loving teens and up out there, and even though it's not on par with "In Bruges" (especially the harshly rushed ending), it certainly deserves an honorable mention.