Parent reviews for Guava Island

Glover's short film mixes music, mild violence.

Based on 1 review

Wondering if Guava Island is OK for your kids?

Adult Written bysspencer33 April 23, 2019

Excellent parable about greed and the power of collective action

I great way for young people to learn about political action. Good music that will draw young people in. Themes are complex and will need discussion/deconstruction. Themes may be difficult for a younger person to understand. I showed this to my high school filmmaking class and they enjoyed it and enjoyed deconstructing the messages in it.

Adult Written byNeon 999 April 14, 2019

Solid

Donald glover can't do anything wrong can he? Fine for 9 and up
Adult Written byahmed aiman 99 April 14, 2019

This is Guava Island!

It's unfortunate that all the creativity ran out of steam just when the main plot kicked off, because all the familiarity could have been easily unfelt with a bit of the imagination Hiro Murai embellished the first act with; the animated intro sequence is a case in point. Nevertheless, almost everything else in this little movie is amazing; Donald Glover's vibrant performance, and his electrifying songs, Rihanna's charisma and lovely narration voice-over, Letitia Wright's appeal (her character is completely unnecessary, though), the lively and colourful cinematography that made the titular island anything but fictional place, just to name a few!

(7.5/10)