All parent member reviews for Gulliver's Travels

Parent of a 7 year old Written byshakesmcgillicutty January 2, 2011

Very Funny! Not for kids under 12

This movie is way better than the original, much funnier and very clever. As an adult I liked it very much and found myself laughing out loud. However, Gulliver's Travel is for the 12+ crowd. I brought my 7 yr old son and found myself wishing I hadn't.. Although I'm sure he didn't learn anything new, I cringed several times at what he was hearing. The humor was a bit crass, with language such as, "I'm a big lame ass", "It blows", "Wanna shoot some poos, go for some brews?", "Hey sexy", "Stone cold fox" and "I find you incredibly sexy". There's also a boat named "Ship Happens." In one scene the princess asks her fiancee what he likes about her and he points to her breasts. When Gulliver falls on the ground, he lands on an unfortunate Lilliputian. It's apparent that the little man goes inside Gulliver's bottom (gross!). There's also a scene where Gulliver puts out a fire by urinating on a building and several people. Overall, I liked the movie for me and would have no problem taking my 12 year old niece, but NOT my 7 yr old.
Adult Written byvery fun movie December 10, 2011

good movie for 12 and up

there is a lot of ads like coca-cola and stuff, also there is words like stupid, idiot, fat.... gulliver is a very good role motel at the and where he is humiliated and comes back to say sorry....
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

gullivers travel

this is the 3rd boringist movie ever.
Educator Written byBarney Vincelette December 26, 2011

Commercial success achieved through a choice to be an artistic failure

The theme of this movie is that Gulliver is on a mission to convert all the world to American commercial pop culture. The Lilliputian civilization is an eligent and beautiful civilization with 18th century architecture, music, clothes, speech, and alembication; but this is all wrong. In modern arrogance, they must be brought down to the level of Nike shoes, Pepsi-Cola, video games, classical music which is too cerebral for the McDonald's eating disco dancing mind, must be replaced with something more dumbed down. Obesity, an inevitable byproduct of the way of life that Gulliver imports to replace all beauty in a once isolated civilization, is accepted and encouraged. It is obvious that the movie was not written by any one script writer, but by committees of marketers from all the corporate sponsors because the one and only purpose of the movie is to indoctrinate children to be prodigious consumers of the junk culture way of life that is most profitable for the companies represented. This movie chose to be an artistic failure in order to achieve commercial success. I think we are guaranteed that Jonathan Swift would be most disappointed to see his literary masterpiece so grievously misrepresented.
Adult Written byshino13 November 29, 2011

sweet!

good movie but language and violence is a problem
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byent_mom November 12, 2011

A kid's review (age 7)

It's a really good movie, but he (Gulliver) lies a lot. He learns that lying doesn't get what you really want. Kids may think it's really fun, but there's a few kinda gross parts. Nothing really that scary.
Parent Written byCatty201 August 28, 2011

Pleasantly Impressed

Parent Written byjddolan July 9, 2011

If you like dumb movies ...

By adult standards the jokes are mostly inoffensive but do you really want to encourage your kids to laugh at fart jokes and similar antics. I disagree that Gulliver "redeems" himself. Indeed, his dishonesty is rewarded -- he gets the girl, he secures a dream job -- which is no positive message at all. No one should expose their kids to such idiocy.
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written bybethanystardust June 26, 2011

Not a 'PG' movie, in my mind

The use of "lame ass" is totally inappropriate for a PG movie, especially in the way it is used here. It's not just an offhand comment, it's an actual conversation regarding the translation of the term (which they are trying to convince a Lilliputian is a positive saying) using the phrase over and over again. This would have been easily changed to "lame-o" (or similar) and gotten the same effect while being much less offensive. Not sure what I was expecting with this, but it certainly wasn't crude humor and language to be rampant. I'm disappointed that I let my 7 year old watch this, mostly because of the "lame ass" portion. Can't believe it was PG, based on what was PG when I was a kid!
Adult Written byurface222 June 5, 2011

good, violent

There is a scene where a woman punches a man in the face.
Parent Written byLizSutton May 20, 2011

I do not encourage your young kids to watch it. The language used on this movie is outrageous. The scene where Jack Black is potting and make comments about it is also disgusting.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 5 year old Written byLiberalMommy May 18, 2011

Maybe 8 and up?

I REALLY liked this movie. What I didn't like is that it is marked "Family" in Redbox, which to me, should indicate appropriateness for the WHOLE family. While you can explain to a 10 year old that they shouldn't use the word "lame-ass", my five year old, had she not been distracted by pudding, would be repeating it at kindergarten. If he had just said it once, that would be one thing, and a five year old wouldn't likely notice. But it was repeated like 10 times within 2 minutes!
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written byAmyBMom May 16, 2011

Liked it for even younger kids with the exception of the "lame ass" talk

Funny, not scary. Didn't like to use of "lame ass" several times, but otherwise I didn't see anything I was worried about my 6 and 8 year old seeing.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byvelder April 20, 2011

Parent of a 10 year old Written byhickchick March 24, 2011

My 10 year old son said " it was wicked!" it was fun for the whole family.
Parent of a 6, 9, and 12 year old Written byoakhillsdrive March 4, 2011

Jack being stereo typical Jack.

Even at $1.25 a ticket, I was so disappointed in this movie. Instead of being something I'd want my family to eventually own on DVD, it ended being something I wish I could take a "Magic Eraser" to, to scrub out of their heads. The "A" word repeated over and over again in the same scene didn't help. The fact that they had him drop his pants and urinate on the castle to put out a fire left my thoroughly disgusted. Even my kids left the movie talking about how silly it was. But given Jack's movies of the past I don't know what I was expecting. I was hoping for "Kung Fu Panda" -Jack Black and end up with "Shallow Hal" Jack
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bysmciff February 18, 2011

A tasteless take on a classic story

I took my kids and each took a friend, and I was very sorry. In addition to Gulliver putting out a fire in a questionable way (with bodily fluid), we also saw Gulliver's bare backside. Maybe I'm too conservative, but I was embarrassed that I took my kids' friends to this movie and I wish I had walked out. It was more of a pre-teen boy bathroom humor movie, and I wish I had checked it out beforehand.
Adult Written bySuez February 12, 2011

I was absolutely disappointed in this movie. I took 2, 9 year old girls and an 8 year old. I quickly checked here to see what the suggested age was and the language factor and then went out the door. I could handle my kids hearing "lame ass" one time but the same lame phrase several times? It was ridiculous. Plus there was usage of God several times in the ending song and Hell. The urination was disturbing, but not half as disturbing as the excessive views of Jack Blacks backside and rolls. Commonsense reviews said nothing of excessive skin being shown. It was disgusting and inappropriate. I should have walked out of the theater with my group! Still asking myself why I didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if my girls had nightmares from the nastiness of the movie. Did I mention the derogatory remarks about women?
Parent of a 8 year old Written bykerim January 22, 2011

Why in the world did the movie makers think it was appropriate to have him pee on the castle to save the king? I am sorry but I do not remember anything like this in the story. Gross humor ... Also the main actor is mis-cast IMO. Just lame as a movie. Save your $ and find something else to do with your kids.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byDLeeLee January 10, 2011

12 years old or olderfo Gulliver

I did not like the cursing in the movie or the scene where there is urination. I took my 8 year old to see the movie, but I NEVER would have if I had known about those two things.