All member reviews for Hachi: A Dog's Tale

Dramatic story of a dog's devotion is emotionally intense.

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byBella1612 September 18, 2010

So Sad!!!!!!

Such a good story! I was sobbing at the end of it.
Kid, 12 years old September 12, 2010

Good

This film is really heart-warming, I was close to tears by the end of it. It has good role models because the dog is very loyal to his owner,but...the sexual stuff and the sadness is a bit too much for younger kids so I say 8+
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

sad true story

A beautiful, but extremely sad true story about a dog devoted to his owner. I think it's ok for kids, but If It can make an adult bawl her eyes out, I'd hate to see what it would do a child
Teen, 15 years old Written byHiddenWolf May 16, 2011

Great role models based off an inspirational story that truly shows the interspecies bond between a man and a dog giving meaning to the very real phrase 'a dog is a mans best friend' :)
Teen, 17 years old Written byBlue-Bunny August 13, 2011

Emotionally-gripping...

The movie is based off a true story, which took place during early 1900s Japan. It's about a man named Hidesaburō Ueno who took in and cared for an Akita dog named Hachiko. The dog would wait each day for the man at the Shibuya Train Station. The movie also centers on a sweet dog named Hachiko, who would wait for his owner, Parker, each and everyday, before and after work. Both the story and the movie have the same storyline overall. Hachi is faithful and loyal to Parker, even after he died, and never gave up on him. Despite his owner's death, Hachi would still continue his daily routine at the train station. The movie was good because you could actually feel the emotions of the characters. The despair and loss in Hachiko when Parker died was immensely touching and the end was tear-jerking. Aside from all that, the musical score was great and peaceful. Anyways, just to conclude, the movie was engaging.
Parent of a 8, 11, and 16 year old Written byReadWithMeMom October 15, 2010

A Little Slow, could put you to sleep

I used 5 kleenexes toward the end and I wasn't all that into the story because it was moving so slowly. Older kids may lose interest fairly soon, but younger kids might watch it all (and be calm enough for bed right after).
Teen, 14 years old Written byLaurenCK June 23, 2012

Hachi-Should not be rated G!

This movie was very entertaining, a little slow, but entertaining. There were two scenes of sexual innuendo. It was very, very sad at the end. There was some wine and a 6-pack of beer shown. I think that it should not have been rated G. If your not sure, see the movie first and decide. Happy Viewing!
Adult Written bycosmicore April 23, 2012

Tearjerker. A Story of Loyality to the End.

This movie is the heart-wrenching tale of Haciko, an Akita pup who grows up, and lives and loves his master. When his master unexpectedly passes away, Hachi continues to go to the train station to wait for his master's return, unaware that his master had passed away. If I were the family, I would have brought Hachi to the grave site so he could gain a shred of closure. Hachi is a very positive movie for such a sad turn of events. It made me and (especially) my Grandmother cry (My Grandfather passed away in '10 and Grandma said she feels like the dog in a sense, even though she understands he is not coming back.) If you watch this movie and it does not make you shed a tear or stir your soul in the slightest sense...I feel very sad for you. Amazing, AMAZING movie.
Adult Written bywonder dove September 29, 2012

Devestating yet beautiful.

I remember when I first saw this movie I said I wouldn't cry. Well, only half way through it I couldn't help myself! This story is SO SAD! As soon as Hachi's master (Parker) dies, it's almost impossible not to cry from then on. To watch what Hachi does every day, waiting for his master to return and also when Parker's daughter takes the dog into her home to care for him, he runs away... just so heartbreaking because you feel the sadness and confusion Hachi is going through. Would definitely make sensitive children cry their eyes out, some children may not completely understand what it means, but adults will need to have a kleenex box (or two) handy. Good for families of all ages I think.
Parent Written byconcerned for kids November 3, 2012

Slow and Sad

It's a very "lovely" movie. But my 14 year old daughter fell asleep, my wife was crying, and my 11 year old son and I were waiting for something (anything) to happen. I can understand however that some people could get emotionally involved in this movie.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykristin1234 October 13, 2012

Movie about death and grief too upsetting for my 7-year-old.

The packaging of this DVD is very misleading. Nowhere did it even allude to the fact that this movie is about death and grief. My seven-year-old sobbed and sobbed for about the last 40 minutes of the movie. We kept waiting for an uplifting shift in tone and content but it never came in any significant way. After his beloved owner (Richard Gere) dies, the dog Hachi is grief-stricken and for the rest of his life waits at the train station for the master who will never return. It was heartbreaking. In the end Hachi is elderly and still waiting at the train station for his owner, and then he, too, eventually dies, resulting in more sobs from my daughter. I am very surprised that this was rated G. I'm also surprised the Common Sense Media reviewer thought it is appropriate for children as young as 6.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystormyMAYNARD November 22, 2012

you should watch it

i loved it and made me cry
Teen, 17 years old Written byadvocatewhat'sright January 11, 2013

Heartwarming/heartbreaking

It's a sweet story about friendship, loyalty, and the rare, invincible bonds that occasionally form almost instantaneously in the most unlikely places. As said in the main review, this is definitely a tear-jearer movie. It's also kind of like The Fox and the Hound or Old Yeller. Overall 8.5/10 sad but sweet.
Kid, 12 years old October 22, 2012

Hachi is the best dog ever!!!!!!!!!

This is the best non animated movie ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Kid, 10 years old August 20, 2013

Good movie

This is a very good movie it might be alright for older kids but too much for young kids
Parent Written byMisti72 July 21, 2013

not for sensitive kids

The biggest issue for our family was that the owner dies in the movie and sensitive children will be really upset. My daughter bawled her eyes out hysterically the rest of the movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheBombFunn August 6, 2013

Emotionally gripping...

The movie is based off a true story, which took place during early 1900s Japan. It's about a man named Hidesaburō Ueno who took in and cared for an Akita dog named Hachiko. The dog was shipped off to a different country, after being crated. Anyway the movie was good because you can actually feel the character's emotions. Overall, this movie was heart warming and I recommend this to all!
Kid, 8 years old August 23, 2013

for mature kids like me

very good movie but for kids 7 and older
Educator and Parent Written byhaskyfrank50 July 1, 2013

Family dog

It's a good and a lesson to learn about being left out and someone comes a takes you home and tries to finds a home for you but fails and still takes you in.
Parent Written bydavidc7 February 14, 2015

Very moving movie for older

Although a great movie, it is a very sad and a little to raw for younger audiences, specially if they are sensitive. I am a 42 year old man and ended up with tears. Definitely, I would not recommend it to younger kids.