All parent member reviews for Hairspray (2007)

Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Adult Written bymrbob April 9, 2008

Yeah...

This movie is very lousy, although that is only my opinion. I know that it was supposed to be great, but I didn't enjoy it.
Adult Written bymovienut33 April 9, 2008

Great movie!

Hairspray is a wonderful movie with a huge list of great actors. The songs to the message were brilliant. Parents need to know that there are a bit of sexual stuff like during the song A "Good Morning Baltimore" Tracy says, "There's the flasher who lives next door" and it shows a guy walking down the street and he opens his coat to three ladies. Also the kids from the corny Collins show both male and female take out socks from their private areas. But beside that side note: It was brilliant!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byCindyls April 9, 2008
Adult Written byRooster57 April 9, 2008

Awesome movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )

This was the best movie ever!! we loved it efron and blonsky make a cute pair!
Parent Written byLisaMT April 9, 2008

Definitely for tweens and up

Because Zac Efron and Amanda Bynes were in it, I thought it might be appropriate for my 8 year old. Boy was I wrong. Aside from the smoking and racial situations (which my daughter didn't understand), Common Sense neglected to point out the comment made near the beginning of the movie by the show's host regarding a female member of the dancing cast: "She will be away for 9 months " How am I to explain that comment? Definitely for children who know something about the birds and bees and have some historical knowledge of the 60s. As an adult, though, the movie was fun! LOVED the dancing scene w/ John Travolta and Christopher Walken! ;)
Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byjcarole April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybarb42 April 9, 2008

Excellent! Don't miss it!!!

Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bynorthlight April 9, 2008

Hillarious with a heart and message

As an adult -over the age of 40- I thought it was a great movie and provided important social commentary amongst the hilarious situations. The cast is spot on. Though I am usually very cautious and conservative taking kids to movies, this was one I really wanted my oldest to see. We love musicals. However at just barely 10, much was over her head. The rating for 11+ is the correct one. Our post-movie chat emphasized how brave and admirable Tracy is and what great parents she has. The movie is brilliant because there are so many layers. Highly recommend.
Adult Written bymwright0622 April 9, 2008

I laughed and even came close to tears

I took my daughter and her best friend to see this movie for her birthday. We all loved it! It's really funny, and has a great message to go with it! I almost cried during 'The March' part of the movie with Queen Latifah's song. Great message to everyone this day and age. If i was going to say anything negative about this movie.. It took me a short time to adjust to seeing John Travolta dressed as a Plus size woman! But he did very well with the part and it was funny. One more negative, my daugther was very shocked when her crush (Zac Efron) yelled out "Kiss my A**" she didn't realize that he said words like that.. BUT other than that, the movie was awesome and I recommend it to everyone.
Adult Written bytbs115a April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymarcia56 April 9, 2008

Great Summer Movie

I dragged my 10 yr. son with me against his will and he LOVED this movie. He laughed the entire way through it. He now watns the CD and DVD. It was amazing how I had to explain the segregation part of the story. He had no idea that people were so mean to each other over race and weight. I loved the music and enjoyed all the actors especially Nikki Blonsky. There were a few jokes that sailed over my sons head, and a few I had to explain. He oouldn't understand the teachers smoking at school or the two pregnant ladies drinking and smoking at the bar. This was a gerat time to explain a little history and the use of sarcasm and cliches to make a point in a movie. There are very few movies made today that I would see txice, but this is one of them.
Adult Written bykiramartin April 9, 2008

Fun Family Movie

Our family went to see this and we have three kids...a 7 year old boy who loves "Grease", a boy who hates musicals who is 10 and a girl who is 12 and in 7th grade. A positive message throughout the movie about love and friendship and going after your dreams and how size and color shouldn't matter. Especially with with our youngest we will be following up about the word "negro" and how we don't use that term or word in todays world and why. It should be mentioned that there were a few lines in one of the songs...something about "but I won't go all the way". It probably went over my youngest childs head...but still worth mentioning. My youngest will probably want to get the soundtrack, and my daughter really enjoyed it.
Adult Written byonlygoodthings April 9, 2008

~ABSOLUTLY LOVED IT! ~

I just loved this movie. I never did see the original Hairspray but now I want to! I saw this with my 3 kids, ages 11. 12 and 15. They all liked it very much. I smiled throughout the entire movie and found my foot tapping with every song that came on. I want to go see it again! :)
Parent of a 9 year old Written byrobinpeggy April 9, 2008

lightweight but fun

I fall asleep in most movies I take my 9-year-old to see, but this one kept me engaged. Not particularly memorable, except for the catchy tunes, but fun. When asked, my daughter knew just what it was about: "it's okay to be different."
Adult Written byjgarbarz April 9, 2008

Lots of fun and toe tapping

Some of the language and dancing was a bit suggestive, but overall was a great message of tolerance and acceptance. No problems for my 11 and 13 year old girls.
Adult Written byymwiatrek April 9, 2008

A Wonderful Family Film with a Positive Message

I took my 10 year old son and 13 year old daughter and we loved the film. The music and dancing are infectious. It makes you want to dance in the aisles. The message of acceptance and standing up for what is right is such a positive one. Overall this is a movie I would recommend for families with tweens and teens.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Fun family film!!

We recently saw the broadway show (LOVED it), and couldn't wait to see the new film version. We weren't disappointed. Parents, 9-year-old daughter and 4-year-old son all loved it. Great music, fun story with a nice message about being yourself, embracing change, and standing up for what you believe. Blonsky is adorably infectious as Tracy, Travolta a treat, and Zac Efron surprisingly good as Link. Walken a nice touch as the father. If you're looking for a feel-good movie, this should do the trick. Sadly, they left the best song from the show out of the film (Mama I'm a Big Girl Now only played during end credits). A few song lyrics could be objectionable to some parents (i.e., "I won't go all the way but I'll go pretty far"). We found them to be subtle enough that they went right past the kids. No violence, no drugs and no overtly sexual situations or language.