All parent member reviews for Hairspray (2007)

Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bydmlashultlz June 13, 2009

I was concerned about the sexual sugesstiveness of many of the dance moves, the difficultly of explaining to my daughter why a male actor was dressed up as a women. I went with an open mind to this movie, based on feedback from another adult. I found myself cringing through many moments, hoping that most of the innapropriate material was going over my kids heads. In spite of some positive messages, I would not let my kids see this again.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byTrebuchet August 3, 2011

Watch it first and decide if your kids are ready

I just watched this with my 7-year-old daughter. She says "It was very very good. The music was great. I loved her dance and that she beat the villain." I wasn't sure this was for little kids, and we watched it together. The part about the civil rights movement was strong stuff, and kind of hard for a child to grasp. But it is important, and a good opportunity to discuss it. The language was mostly fine, words like d**n and a**, but I did have to explain why "Negro" isn't appropriate language today and why it was correct to use it in the movie. There were teens smoking in the bathroom, but again, she knows smoking isn't a good idea. At one point, Pfeiffer's character tries to break up the heroine's parents' marriage, which is not a kid-friendly scene, even if it isn't very graphic. There are some suggestive moments but mostly it is kissing or confined to dance moves. There are police portrayed as bad guys obstructing constitutional rights, but since that is historically accurate I didn't mind it. On the whole, though, it is a lovely, upbeat movie about courage and dancing.
Adult Written byvictorianezine April 9, 2008

Too sexually sophisticated for little kids

No naked bodies or people blown apart. But this is an older teen comedy! It's moderately interesting, but not great Sort of a weak sister to GREASE!
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 6, 2014

I Don't Understand How It Is Inappropriate

I don't think this movie needs an age group, it's more of how you raise your child. It has a great message to why segregation should end (As this film is based in the 50s) although I do find they focus on Tracy's weight much more in the remake than they do in the original which made me feel slightly uncomfortable that it was such a big deal. I watched the original film before this movie came out thanks to my mother who hates remakes with a passion and rented the original the day I was planning to go with my friend to the theatres to see this film, so I have seen both films in proper order and fully enjoyed this film. This film also shows people that skin colour shouldn't matter which is another great message, I enjoy the acting in it as well as the songs.
Educator and Parent Written bylesdianeg December 29, 2013

Teachable Moments!

Great movie to watch with your children. Just watched with my almost-9 year old daughter, who loves music, dance, art -- everything artsy. Besides the fact that there are great actors and fun music and dancing throughout, the movie provides a good opportunity to discuss the history of race relations in the US. It is also a good opportunity to discuss how leaders come from all of our communities. Tracy and Queen Latifah are great on many levels to discuss how women are smart, funny, pretty and wise in all sorts of ways. We watched it online and we were able to press pause to have discussions about the important issues that were featured in the film. MANY teachable moments.
Educator and Parent Written byTabytha January 25, 2013

Strong Characters with Positive Messages!

Tracy is a strong female lead that is atypical of strong female leads; a very important factor which plays into my appreciation of the film. There is some content that is a little 'old' for children (some mild sexual references), but the overall themes and general message of acceptance and equality far outweigh any concerns I had allowing my 9 year old to watch it. It is a really great way to have the conversation about accepting people for who they are - regardless of external differences. Tracy and the ensemble really shine as 'unlikely' heroines and heroes! Loved seeing Tracy's mom overcome her own insecurities about her body too. Loved the cast and the music! A great time!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfallcline August 8, 2010

Excellent Movie

I love this movie, it has great messages about acceptance of others, and that our differences actually make the world more interesting. Tracey is a great role model.
Adult Written byOut of the Box August 4, 2010

A great film with opportunities for smart discussion

This is a smart, fun movie with great acting, dancing, and musical numbers. I took my kids to see it in the theatre at ages 6 and 8. It was over the 6-year-old's head, but we all enjoyed it and fell in love with the soundtrack. When my kids checked out High School Musical, I had to leave the room because the acting was so awful. Hairspray is that rare movie for kids that doesn't insult their intelligence and can be enjoyed by the entire family. And--bonus--the social issues raised were a great springboard to talk about racism, body image, mean behavior, etc.
Parent of a 9, 13, and 17 year old Written byPie Mama July 30, 2010

Great messages!!!

I love how it teaches that being different is O.K., and to let people be themselves, and love them the way they are, no matter how much you weigh or what the color of your skin is! It also has the message to make your dreams come true! Also,it has very fun numbers and very good actors! There are some scenes that may not be good for kids under 10.(also, girl power!)
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byAimeeblue June 13, 2010

Parent of a 4, 6, 9, 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byNerdy_Mamma December 30, 2009

Parent of a 3, 7, and 9 year old Written bystephen.davis@g... December 10, 2009

Great Movie for Kids

Great movie. Brilliant. Our kids (9 and 6) loved it! We've seen it at least 6 times. Singing and dancing are great and overall message terrific. There's some behavior which you wouldn't condone but there's good reason for it in the movie. This and High School Musical are our kids favorites!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byjshill0619 June 16, 2009

You should think first before seeing this with a tween!

This movie is fantastic for adults, but some of the music lyrics are too sexually suggestive and are highly innappropriate for tweens who are highly impressionable and don't need to be learning about sexual matters through music lyrics.
Adult Written byKatster April 29, 2009

Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 10, 2009

One of the best musicals ever was put into a blender with the perfect cast, great music, and a touching message.

This movie continues to be one of my favorite movies of ALL time. The content was chopped up in half and would go over kid's heads anyway. But I realized that you will never see these pefrect actors in one movie, very often. It's fun, upbeat, and great for black history month!
Adult Written byannataya February 3, 2009

Good times

This fun musical is good for all ages. Most references are harmless...REALLY. Also if you watch with your kids should solve any misunderstanding. ENJOY!
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bycrisleem April 9, 2008

Loved it so much we saw it 4 times then bought the DVD

There are certainly some moment that I wish had bee left out....exactly like Grease! Some inappropriate 'sex' type remarks. The movie would have been equally awesome without them. But they were very minor and the movie is so fast moving and hysterical my kids didn't notice. I never notice the same type things in Grease till I was an adult. But this movie was the goofiest thing I've seen in years. We had a blast all four times we sang and danced in our seats the whole movie. Even my husband gave several out loud hard laughs! We bought it the day it came out. It's worth it.
Adult Written bymrbob April 9, 2008

Yeah...

This movie is very lousy, although that is only my opinion. I know that it was supposed to be great, but I didn't enjoy it.
Adult Written bymovienut33 April 9, 2008

Great movie!

Hairspray is a wonderful movie with a huge list of great actors. The songs to the message were brilliant. Parents need to know that there are a bit of sexual stuff like during the song A "Good Morning Baltimore" Tracy says, "There's the flasher who lives next door" and it shows a guy walking down the street and he opens his coat to three ladies. Also the kids from the corny Collins show both male and female take out socks from their private areas. But beside that side note: It was brilliant!!!!!!!!