All teen and kid member reviews for Hairspray

Kid, 10 years old August 22, 2010

HeeHee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like this movie. It's very touching but kinda weird and offensive when Penny's mom shocked her with a stick because she's dating a black guy. But I think otherwise it's cool.
Kid, 11 years old December 12, 2009

i hated this movie

Kid, 12 years old September 11, 2011

(Gasp!)

This movie should be rated PG-13. I watched it when I was 11 and I was shocked at the differences in content from this one and the 2007 remake. Parents should read about it more before letting their children watch this
Teen, 17 years old Written byhamstergurl09 June 5, 2011

WAY better than the musical version

I noticed a lot of people on this page gave "Hairspray" a really scathing review and called it "inappropriate" and stuff. Heck, Common Sense Media gave it an "iffy" for 13. Are you kidding me?!?!? You obviously don't know John Waters very well. Compared to other John Waters movies, this is EXTREMELY tame. Look up "Pink Flamingos" on the internet if you want to see an inappropriate movie by John Waters. Anyway, I think "Hairspray" is a classic! Every kid should see it. It has a really good message. It is in no way inappropriate for little kids (other than the beatnik scene, but even that isn't so bad). This movie is WAY better than the musical version.
Kid, 12 years old May 30, 2011

Tut...

Tut tut tut...
Teen, 14 years old Written byKS1234 December 7, 2010

Good movie!!!!!!

I think PG is a good rating for it. The language to me isn't bad at all and I watched it when I was 9 the time before last(I just watched it the other day again). Tracy is a positive charcter and a good role model for standing up against injustice. Some people need to not rate it so harshly. All in all it IS a good movie. I would recomend it for a 9 or 10 year old.
Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2009

e.g. You should think twice before going with a tween!

the movie should be rated pg-13
Teen, 14 years old Written byjajabinx66 April 17, 2009

Hilarious Movie

Very funny, kind of wierd but a more entertaining version then the latter.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKeds43@aol.com April 9, 2008

Get up and Dance!

This is an awesome movie! Tracy is a great role model for every girl. Penny and Seaweed's relationship is hilarious. The music makes you want you get up and dance along with the cast (I learned every dance just from watching it). There is a lot of making-out (it gets a little gross), but kids will love the music. Oh, if you have a chance, see the Broadway musical version of it in NYC. It's amazing!
Kid, 12 years old January 26, 2012

lkj

kjjjjjjj
Kid, 12 years old April 13, 2011

Ok for tweens. Good for teens!

There is quite alot of Violence, Penny is put in a Mental Institution for dating a Black man. There is a Riot and Link is left in a Wheelchair. There is also some kissing and Flirting. Not as much Music and Fun as the New Version but a Cute movie that shows you to follow your dreams but do whats right(:
Kid, 12 years old February 12, 2011

Adult classic, not for children under 16

Some parts were inapproprite. They should of made the movie rated R or atleast PG-13 at the very least, instead of PG.
Teen, 13 years old Written byUryjah March 23, 2010

I haven't seen this movie, but thanks to Common Sense Media, I won't. The cursing in this film should make it PG-13, and the later version is much more mild.
Teen, 14 years old Written byaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa December 5, 2008

I could not stop laughing

It was sooooooooooooooo funny
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Good role models

There is some iffy stuff like a brief reference to drugs, but it's pretty good. Tracy and her friends are really cool because they break barriers between races, sizes, and all that fun stuff. So she's a good role model :)
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

best movie ever!

Hairspray is a funny dance musical by John Waters. Though, there are parts that may need parental guidance if you are under the age of 8.