Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Halloween

First Michael Myers slasher fest has violence, sex.

Adult Written byDr3w November 8, 2011

Seriously people?

I'm just going to quote a few of the other reviews first:

"There is toplessness but nothing that a kid over the age of 10 hasn't seen."

"'Halloween' is very frightening at times and it does contain SOME drug use and sexual content but nothing a mature seven-year old can't handle."

"classic horror my first R rated horror movie saw it when i was 6. Ok for 2 and up."

I would continue, but what's the point?

Ok, so this is not The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Saw. Does that mean you want your young impressionable children being exposed to this? There are so many studies that show that violence in movies (particularly sadistic violence like the violence portrayed in horror films like this one) has an awful effect on young children. So, what if they can handle it? I could probably handle having my legs chopped off too, but does that mean I would go do it? And just because your kids have probably seen a woman's breasts before they turn ten (and I certainly hadn't seen many breasts when I was ten) doesn't mean that you should willingly expose them to more.

I'll stop now before I get really upset. I guess I should have known when I was reading reviews by people who enjoy these kinds of movies that they would have different views about films.

Just out of curiosity, how old do you think your kids should be before they see the Saw movies? Twelve?

Adult Written byETHANGaming August 12, 2018

Classic Horror For 12 and up

So originally Michael Myers Halloween wasn't for kids it's an 18 when it came out but if you watch it now it's one of those films you can watch at 11 cos it's so mild there's literally no blood or gore in this film the violence is extremely mild the original Stephen King IT film is worst than this the violence in the film is stabbing but it's extremely mild I don't think there's any bad language there's no sex Real Rating : 18 you got to remember this film came out in (1979) so it was considered very violent but it's not now
My Rating : 12 +
Violence 2/10 (Very Mild)
Language 0/10
Sex 0/10
Drugs 0/10
Adult Written bymayorm January 9, 2018

One of the first horror films your kid should watch...but be cautious.

This movie is an absolute CLASSIC. Rather than relying on shock value and gore, this Carpenter masterpiece relies on creepy music, suspense, and Michael Myers stalking in the background. With little-to-no jumpscares, this is a great first horror movie to show your kids. Why should you be cautious? The opening scene is upsetting, showing a 6-year-old commit murder. There's a little bit of blood, and some nudity (part of a breast is shown). There's also a scene where a teenage girl shows her breasts for a good 30 seconds, and a sex scene with no nudity. Kills have very little, usually no blood, making this a subtle film. Some characters drink, others smoke, but, however, Laurie Strode (the protagonist) is a GREAT role model. She does everything to protect the kids she's babysitting when Myers shows up. She fights, hides, and always makes sure the kids are safe, no matter what. The ending is kept a mystery, unless you're compelled to watch the ultra-violent, not as good, but still entertaining sequel, Halloween II (which shouldn't be watched until your child is at least 15). This movie could make your child paranoid and scared, as it still is a scary movie...4 decades later. Overall, watch with your kid, skip through the nudity, and let them enjoy one of the best horror films ever made.

Adult Written byOlderThanMyAge January 4, 2012

Good classic horror

"Halloween" is a (mostly) mindless slasher flick. Giving the main villain more depth than just a ruthless killer would have been nice, but hey, you can't have it all. The sex scenes were unneeded and obviously just thrown in to entice male viewers. However, Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) is a positive female role model and teenage girls will be able to relate to her.
Teens 15 and up should be able to see this with no problem; perhaps even some mature 13 and 14 year olds. Despite its flaws, there is no denying that "Halloween" paved the way for modern day horror movies (sadly, none of them quite measure up to it).

Adult Written byryanasaurus0077 December 18, 2011

No worse than the average PG-13-rated horror flick

The original slasher film, and the prototype for what would come over the next 30+ years. Ironically, I would recommend it for the preteens, though not for the younger kids; while viewers might find a good role model in Laurie Strode (who, according to Jamie Kennedy from Scream, only survived this film because unlike some other characters, she never has sex) and possibly Dr. Loomis, there's violence (surprisingly in sparse quantities for a slasher film), some sex/nudity, a few strong profanities, and a scene where two of the girls violate Horror Movie Rule #2 by smoking marijuana--content that would today net this film a PG-13 at the very least. One of John Carpenter's finest films, and a good view.

Adult Written byGeorge M. April 30, 2019

A great horror classic

A great horror classic with some scary moments but honestly not a lot of violence. All the violence is quick and usually obscured in the darkness of the environment. There’s also a mild under the covers sex scene and some brief breast nudity. Overall it should be fine for mature 12 year olds and over. I also think this film would probably receive a PG-13 rating today if it wasn’t for the sex scene and the brief nudity.

Adult Written byB33_EE January 19, 2019

Breasts, but not scary

It’s such an amazing film that 10 year olds could see but watch out, it shows two pears of boobs at the start and end, no gore just suspense. There is only two s words but that’s it, shows people having sex but don’t see anything but boobs. Titanic shows boobs and that’s a 12. Ok for 10 year olds

Adult Written byGregH994 November 12, 2018
Parent of a 13 year old Written byKaysonC November 1, 2018
Adult Written byFilmMeUpResponsibly October 26, 2018

This ISN'T For Kids (No Matter What Parents Say)

This film is a great slasher with spectacular cinematography and drama but definitely not for younger kids, so please stop being nonsensical and saying ten year olds should watch this. Ten year olds should watch it on TV without their parents knowing and then have nightmares for a week or two, they shouldn't go to the cinema to watch an absolute gore-fest.

In addition, if you think it's ok for kids I mean no offence, it's just my opinion on the whole matter really (sorry not sorry)

Adult Written byHydroo6215 October 21, 2018

REALLY?

I've seen them all Halloween is one of my favorites. I don't know if it's because they made Jamie Lee Curtis looks so flippin psycho or old I don't know but this movie was horrible I even walked out on it. Don't bother going ain't worth your time I should have known with the opening credits when they inflated the pumpkin that it was going to be stupid.
Adult Written bySiddk21 October 18, 2018

Age should be for 13+

This movie has a lot of horror and it will be really fun to watch
Adult Written bySandra L. October 17, 2018
Adult Written byRarityfan October 16, 2018

Thy Hallowen

Even uf this is from my childhood in the 1970's it is still effective, as fans goes back and forth about this autumn's remake. The music is the best part, as it can be too intense for some. For consumerism a lot and lot versions and spoofs of Halloween.

Parent Written byRoberto I. July 19, 2018

Classic movie with lots of suspense.

Halloween is a wonderful film with an iconic horror villain. Unlike most horror movies, Halloween has little blood in it. But it has a lot of scares in it.

Adult Written byHanenberg237 June 27, 2018

Awesome great halloween movie!!

Great halloween movie for teens and younger than that if your child is mature there is a part with sex and naked breast show and not to much bored I it makes for a nice classic movie witch I highly recomend

Adult Written bySoul boss June 19, 2018

Not bad

I think that it has no gore but a lot of nudity.

Parent of a 13, 14, and 17 year old Written byRedMistZO November 22, 2017

My 14 and 17 year old love this

This was the first year my 14 year old was allowed to watch this and she loved it, my 17 year old watched it at his friends house when he was 13 (got grounded) breasts are shown, blood is shown, naked girl is stabbed while she is naked after she had sex, full frontal nudity for a second, also frightning for younger viewers also the people that say 10+, no ten year old should be watching naked people because it says in quote, “shows naked people but nothing a 10 year old hasn’t seen,” under age drinking and doing drugs, lots of swearing, but it’s a classic so a must watch

Parent Written byAlexandre M. October 28, 2017
There is not a drop of blood there is no swearing you see a boob is there a freaking problem with that
Parent Written byA C. October 21, 2017

A classic but too disturbing for developing brains

Just because your kid has watched or wants to watch horror films, it does not mean that they can “handle it” or are “mature enough”. The mature kids are the ones who possess enough self awareness to know what they can or can’t handle and opt not to watch. Most confident kids I know do not want to be exposed to disturbing images, no matter how much their friends try to talk them into it. Kids with parents who love horror movies are at a disadvantage, however, and will even risk their peace of mind to please their parents, by agreeing to watch at any age. Those are the kids I worry about the most, because they often don’t have much of a choice.

Kids who watch disturbing movies or TV at a young age have plenty of issues. Sleeping problems, concentration problems, reluctance to sleep in unfamiliar places (avoiding sleepovers); as teenagers , they don’t want to be home alone or babysit, they suffer from anxiety, phobias, etc.

As any child psychologist will tell you, developing brains can’t distinguish between what’s real and what’s not when it comes to horror movies, even if they know or you tell them there’s a difference. Kids who watch these films often exhibit symptoms of ptsd as though they’ve experienced the trauma firsthand. Their reactions may even be delayed, leading many parents to assume “oh, they’re fine”. It’s our job as parents to put our kids’ well-being first, even if that means being patient and waiting to watch that scary movie until the kids are in bed or they’re sleeping over at a friend’s - which will be much more likely if you’ve made sensible parenting choices in the first place.