All member reviews for Hancock

Has action, heart, but superhero is an alcoholic.

Teen, 14 years old Written byOldBob13 April 14, 2010

A message about respect is drowned out by language, excessive drinking

Despite popular belief, superhero movies can indeed be funny, and the hit 2008 action-comedy Hancock proves it without a doubt. Hancock is a quirky blend of action, comedy, romance, a dash of drama and a pinch of sci-fi. Basically, it has enough variety to appease fans of many genres. You want to laugh? It's here. You want to cry? You probably will. You want to jump out of your seat? You just might. While there is plenty to like, Hancock is not a superhero movie for the young kids, and the PG-13 is spot-on, due to alcohol abuse and lots of language. Best reserved for teens or mature preteens. Other than that mentioned, Hancock also has quite a bit a violence and blood, some sexual tension, and excessive consumerism. I gave it three stars, but it almost teeters down to two. Only watch it with an open mind, and expect disappointment.
Kid, 8 years old March 19, 2010

Should be drama

Tons of violence. Most of it isn't bloody but it is action packed.Two kisses. Very strong language. Like about three uses of F**k. And ***hole a few times.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bytkmom April 9, 2008

Good movie but not for kids

This movie was very violent! I think the PG-13 rating and even the usually good information on this site are significantly understating the quite realistic violence in this movie. Don't get me wrong. The movie is well made, the characters interesting and the plot quirky and absorbing but I would definitely NOT bring kids of any age to this movie!
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bydsloanak March 7, 2009

IT was an okay movie.

I liked it to a degree. I mean its hard not to like a movie with will smith in it.There is a little twist in the movie which is great and kinda catches you off guard. NO KIDS SHOULD WATCH THIS MOVIE..This is Adult content=D
Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written bydadoftwo December 18, 2008

Caution:Unrated version starts with sex scene

I looked at the common sense rating before renting Hancock at Netflix. It showed no sex scenes. Then I watched it at home. (Mild Spoiler Warning) At the beginning of the film, it has a woman driving Hancock back to his trailer where she wants to have sex with him. The scene that follows is inappropriate for kids. While it does not show any body parts, the conversation and results of the encounter are crude and rude. Then there is the problem with the use of swear words throughout the movie. But that rather pales to the scene where Hancock (Spoiler warning) puts one prisoner's head up another prisoner's buttocks. While we only see the results, the language was crude as is the resulting image. As for the quality of the story, it is severely lacking, and neither my 13 or 15 year old found the movie to be good or worth seeing in the first place. Very disappointing movie from Will Smith.
Adult Written bystacymavros April 9, 2008

Started fun--ended dark

This movie began in a comical albeit questionable way--at the end was very violent and graphically dark. The storyline could've held its own without the gross violent content and ridiculous swearing. We took our girls to see Hancock--and left towards the end when the violence became too much--gunshot wounds, knife to the back of the neck etc. Many people think kids are resilient--but remember that what we expose them to cannot be undone. Those images won't be erased from my girls' memories...not good. Also worth mentioning is that although the movie is rated PG 13 the trailers beforehand were very, very inappropriate--many were rated R and one preview was shocking--drug use, sexual content and OMG images. So, when taking your kids to see Hancock be forwarned that you will be hit with previews that will not be age appropriate in any way. I rated this movie for ages 13-16 with the preference of closer to 16.
Adult Written byhomer2 April 9, 2008

very good movie and with objectionable material.

the violence was a big issue and was pretty gruesome at the end.the langauge was also a big issue with asses and other foul langauge.but the movie overall was very good.
Adult Written byEditorJen April 9, 2008

A total disaster

Run don't walk away from "Hancock". We took our 12-year-old son and he left in the middle, when after Hancock says he'll put a bad guy's head in another's a** (a word said about 250 times in the movie) you actually see the guy's head in the other's bottom. I have never seen anything so stupidly disgusting in all my life. The story made little sense, which is due, I'm sure, in part to the fact that this movie had 4 directors. The funny parts were okay-funny, but the saddest part of this movie is it could have been good. Apparently, catering to the type who likes bathroom humor, a ton of bad language, and sheer stupidness is what now passes for funny. Too bad. And boo to Will Smith who was one of the producers. Don't waste your time or money on this one. Go see "The Incredible Hulk" instead. It's good and worth every dime and minute you spend on it.
Adult Written byeinfinet April 9, 2008

Great movie

The movie was good and the violence was iffy. In the last 30 minutes there was blood. Lauguage had 3 f--k's,lots of sh-- and like 50 a-- a--hole and jacka-- overall i recomed 13 and up or if you are mature 11 and up.And I forgot Hancock is very alholic and in one scene flies drunk.
Adult Written byjoolz_43344 April 9, 2008

I walked out

My husband, myself, and our son (13 yrs old) watched it expecting it to be more of a family-friendly-superhero-movie. It turned out to be a lot of profanity including 'a**, and a**hole'. Children were also using these words in the movie. There were many parts that completely offended me when everyone in the movie theater was laughing. For example, Hancock got mad at a kid for calling him the above words so he punched him up in the air. I don't think it's funny or acceptable for an adult to punch or hurt a child. Another part when Hancock was in prison, he litterally put one guy's head up another guys' you-know-what. Hancock isn't just an alcoholic, he has major issues. Needless to say, we didn't stay more than 30 minutes of the movie.
Adult Written byJuliebecky October 27, 2014

Hancock Costume

I really like the movie as well as Will Smith Hancock Costume, See here (http://goo.gl/LnwT7u)
Adult Written by11 year old kid September 22, 2014

Soo good

Its amazing
Kid, 12 years old August 3, 2014

Hilarious superhero movies, excites & entertains.

Parents can expect extensive cartoonish action sequences, that gradually become darker as the movie progresses. The language includes one use of "f-word," as well as several other milder curse words. The unrated version includes a sex scenes and an addition use of "f--k." This movie is one of the best superhero movies I have scene in a long time. Hancock is an alcoholic and is rude to women. Will Smith has definitely not lost his touch. I would definitely recommend this for kids who love action and humor and Will Smith.
Kid, 12 years old January 12, 2014

Appealing comedy isn't wrong-headed; go see it

Hi. Today, I'm reviewing the movie Hancock and here's the review. First, we'll start with the synopsis: When an alcoholic Hancock (Will Smith) is repeatedly called an "*sshole", he wakes up drunk and destroys Chinese enemies. He then finds out Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman) is at risk of his car being hit by a train, with him in it. As he saves him, the victim starts promoting Hancock. Expect violence aplenty, with action such as shooting, fist-fights and even one instance of a man's hand cut off (the actual cut is off-screen); there's one subtitled, censored use of the F-word, as well as one at the start by Hancock himself. He frequently drinks, swears, causes damage and fights. Nevertheless, it's a good movie. Watch it. (And the consumerism part is the whole promotion thing.) Thankyou for reading.
Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2013

Hancock

Really great movie. The only bad content in this movie is a bit of swearing and violence, but not to much. Otherwise this is one of the best movies I've seen
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBombFunn June 11, 2013

Not as good if you watch it more than 2 or 3 times

This is a very good movie. The plot is attention catching, acting is very clever.However, don't watchit frequently. It will get old after a little while.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 16, 2012

hancock

Families can talk about why kids want to see this movie -- is it because of the story, or because of all the hype? Discuss why Hancock is so distant and angry in the beginning of the movie. How are both Hancock the character and Hancock the movie different from and similar to other cinematic superheroes? What would you say the movie's messages are? How does Hancock change over the course of the film? What do he and Ray teach each other?
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 August 22, 2012

funny and entertaining superhero comedy has lots of destructive violence

this wildly entertaining superhero flick mixes hilarious jokes and humor with lots of destructive action. its one of those movies that every kid, a teen or a tween, would be raving to see. but keep in mind that this is a very violent and profane movie, with tons of explosions, gun fights, fist fights, destruction of buildings and property, a head shoved up a butt (not shown but you can see the man with a head stuck in his butt) stabbings, and a graphic scene where Hancock cuts off a mans hand (the hand is shown for a long period of time, stained with blood) there is frequent strong language, including one f***k, plenty of sh**, and lots of a**hole
Parent Written byNotYourMom June 24, 2012

Not For Kids Under 17

Not really for children under 17. There is a lot of swearing, sex, alcohol abuse ect. Not something you want your children to imitate and certainly not a hero for your children to look up to.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNo Name, for real. May 29, 2012

Great superhero movie

Lots of foul language, lots of uses of A--hole, and s--t.