All member reviews for Hanna

Violent thriller is a high-stakes teen-assassin tale.

Parent Written bymaryjayne January 12, 2012

Inappropriate level of violence for its child audience

Good soundtrack, actors and filming nice to look at, thrilling though frequently unbelievable storyline. Mostly enjoyable but certainly not for kids. It's rated 12 in the UK and there's NO WAY I'd want my 12 year old to see it. It's clearly aimed at the younger market and while there wasn't as much gore as you'd usually get in an adult film of this genre, there's so much violence I'm very surpised indeed that it wasn't classified 15. It makes me lose all faith in the classification board! I felt that the fact that most of the violence was perpetrated by a child character made it all the more inappropriate for a 12 year-old child to watch.
Adult Written bypvtplatypus January 3, 2012

Hanna

Hanna is one of the best action flicks of the year. I'm not gonna go into details about the story, just see it. There is some quick scenes of violence, they aren't graphic but definitely too much for a preteen. Just like every PG-13 movie today, there is one use of the F word, as well as a few S words. The sexual content is mostly kept to a minimum. There is a camper shaking, with moaning. A girl makes a remark about this. Overall, any somewhat mature teen can probably see this. Great suspense thriller, highly recommended.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBieberFreakinFever December 30, 2011

Rated R Material

This movie was pritty good. It told a great story. But something i really don't get about this movie is why is rated PG-13? There is some bad languge, brief sexual refrences, and several (about 95% of the movie) scenes of violence, not to mention lots of blood and disturbing images. I'm not to lie the movies violence was so intense it scared me sometimes. I really thought after watching this that it was great, but it should have been rated R.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySithLordBeast December 2, 2011

crap

This is possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. No plot or backround whatsoever, and it seems like all the director wanted to do was kill everyone in the whole freaking movie. Who cares about content-wise just don't watch the movie cuz of its sorry-ness. I seriously just wasted 2 hours of my life. WHAT THE HECK WERE THE DIRECTORS THINKING?!?!?!?!?!?! I'd rather watch Dora...........
Teen, 14 years old Written byMktheReviewer November 23, 2011

Very good movie but watch out for other things..

REALLY GREAT MOVIE! I was blown away actually. Great acting, great story, great everything. BUT. Brace yourselves. Do not see this with anyone younger than 13 in the area. There is one scene with a married couple having some very loud sex. Another scene describes being lesbian. Violence wasn't too bad, not much blood but definitely a lot of chases, threats, and punches.
Kid, 12 years old October 27, 2011

AWESOME!!!

I really liked it. It might be too intense, violent, and gory for some other people my age. I don't get "the movie's messages are fairly negative, suggesting that if you have killer instincts, it's your destiny to give in to them." I mean, Hanna only killed the evil people that were trying to kill her.
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2011

Too Dark for Kids

Good story, beautifully filmed. Wow - the violence is very wet - lots of scenes featuring that sound effect that's like mac-n-cheese being stirred in a bowl. Also, scenes exploiting childhood iconography in hauntingly sinister ways. This is really an adult movie with a kid protagonist - should be rated R.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysky65z October 9, 2011

Good movie. Odd ending

This movie is not as violent as the review says and what did you expect in a movie about an assassin. The only bad language is one quiet F-bomb and that's it. I did feel a little let down at the ending but other than that it was good.
Parent Written byROBERT BOB October 5, 2011

Don't waist your time and mind.

PLEASE DON'T LET YOUR KIDS SEE THIS MOVIE, Im 51 and shot it off after 5 min.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysasuke the awsome October 5, 2011

HANNA IS AWESOME!!

i think that this is a FANTASTIC movie and is totally fine for some 13 year olds like me but then again it is very violent and if you arent usted to this kinda film i suggest you wait until your are about 14 there is a TON of violence but most of it isnt graphic as in the film style it flashes out right before most of the deaths. just a warning THERE IS A GRAPHIC SCENE INVOLVING A DEAD MAN STRING BY THE FEET IMPALED WITH ARROWS 5 TIMES OVER. so as i said it depends on the child!!:)
Teen, 13 years old Written byijustlovemovies September 30, 2011

so so not so intenses thriller

well this movie wasent as good as i expected or as intense but still worth giving a try. there is some blood such as pulling arrows out of peoples bodys or bleeding gums the movie is also filled with sex (not shown) i did not enjoy this movie personaly
Teen, 16 years old Written bymrswendel September 11, 2011

Good, but not for children

I liked the movie - but it is definitely not on for younger children. It takes a more mature child to understand the manipulation of Hanna and its implications - a younger one would just be left with scenes of brutality and violence with no context with which to understand it. A decent movie for adults (I especially liked the quick-witted Sophie), but not appropriate for those 15 and under, I feel.
Kid, 11 years old August 27, 2011

It was good:D

I liked it. I thought it was a little hard to follow though.
Adult Written bykhan2705 June 5, 2011

intense and stylish spy action thriller.

3.5/5 Hanna (Saoirse Ronan) is 16 years old. She is bright, inquisitive, and a devoted daughter. Uniquely, she has the strength, the stamina, and the smarts of a soldier; these come from being raised by her widowed father Erik (Eric Bana), an ex-CIA man, in the wilds of North Finland. Erik has taught Hanna to hunt, put her through extreme self-defense workouts, and home-schooled her with only an encyclopedia and a book of fairy tales. Hanna has been living a life unlike any other teenager; her upbringing and training have been one and the same, all geared to making her the perfect assassin. But out in the world there is unfinished business for Hanna's family, and it is with a combination of pride and apprehension that Erik realizes his daughter can no longer be held back. ok first of all wow, this movie is directed by Joe Wright who directed two of my favorite movies, Pride and Prejudice and Atonement. i love those movies but this one is pretty different from those two. it is a spy thriller, really modern type and very different and stylish type of filmmaking, an artistic suspence thriller. direction is pitch perfect and he knows how to make this kind of movies too, he proves it with those thrilling unique action scenes. liked his direction in this movie. perfectly written, good screenplay that could have been slightly better but still good. story of this revenge and spy-chase and before that the training you might have seen in movies but trust me this one stands out as different and effective movie that you won't even think for a while that its cliched or something, its unique. cinematography is excellent with so much of varying locations that looks stunning and lovely, superb work by them. art direction costumes etc lovely. editing again is perfect. the action fighting scenes are superb and pretty satisfying well done action suquences. Saoirse Ronan outshines in this movie and she may shock you with how well she is in this movie, just pure perfect. this talented teen actress does those physical action sequences so well which is superb, two thumbs up for that. she did a good job as a teenager who has lived a life like no others, trained by her own father in intense physical training to fight and to be a perfect assassin only living in a isolated place and not seeing the actual world but as she finally comes in the actual world how she sees everything is what is interesting to see. Hanna's father played by the wonderful Eric Bana, you won't see much of him as this movie belongs to Hanna or should i say Saoirse Ronan. but still he did a good job. then there is one of my most favorite actress Cate Blanchett who did a nice job playing this evil arrogant villain in this movie. other supporting cast including Olivia Williams, Jason Flemyng, Jessica Barden , Tom Hollander and Jamie Beamish. so perfect casting and nice performances. movie is a wonderful satisfying entertaning enjoyable movie. at provides that high octane entertainment and the stylishness you would love to see. movie has a nice pace, it starts slow but then gets fast. also it had a nice score by the chemical brothers. i liked its many scenes but the one towards the end with Hanna and Marrisa are one to remeber. it is a good fantastic movie to watch and one of the best this year. Highly recommended. awsome.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySamaraMorgan June 1, 2011

Amazing,

My name is actually Hannah, and after this movie came out, people have been telling me i need to dye my hair blond. My parents tool me and my sister (9) to see it. One word: Amazing!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBrandon4News May 26, 2011

Balls-out originality.

I've always been one to give credit to a director for being ballsy, or as we call it in the high-brow world of critiquing- ambitious. Even if the film the director directs is indeed total crap, it always gets sufficient markings in my book just for the genuinely impressive audacity of its intentions. An explosion-filled FX-fest with no story and bland direction... no balls. Our movie-going generation exists in a reality largely devoid of action movies with balls. It's a true sickness that many of us are forced to feel nowadays while watching atrocious so-called 'thrill rides' of the modern age. Even this year, we've been subjected to "Battle: Los Angeles" and "The Mechanic". But do not give up hope! There is a cure to the sickness, and it's called "Hanna", the new Joe Wright-helmed film starring Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Olivia Williams, and Cate Blanchett. Hanna is a girl who never experienced childhood or experienced free early youth. After her father's wife is brutally murdered by an eccentric special operative of the government when she is only a toddler, the two run away to a secluded section of the wilderness. Amidst the total seclusion, Hanna is taught to become a survivor and a warrior. All is well until she decides it's time for her to experience Earth as most people know it. This decision triggers extraordinary deception, betrayal, prevalent annihilation, and ultimately- confusion. An elaborate web of lies is woven that estranges Hanna from her father, and coerces her into a world she's not prepared to accept or engage in. Regardless of a unique vision and directorial style that the film incorporates, it would be nearly successful due to the performances alone, all of them being brilliantly executed. Saoirse Ronan plays the unknowingly out-of-place badass better than anyone could ever be expected to. With true ferocity and undeniable grit, she injects so much raw power into her role. Aside from her, the rest of the cast is perfect. It's always a refreshing occurrence when there isn't a weak link. It's odd; "Hanna" actually feels stylistically congruent to an art film, rather than a conventional Hollywood thriller. Joe Wright adds something new or intriguing to each shot, whether it be an extended tracking shot or a fast-cutting chase scene laced with cinematographic genius. Wright really gives the film the edge it needs to overcome some of the minor hindrances of the script, some of the tiny plot holes. Also, it should be mentioned; the soundtrack that accompanies this film can only be described transcendent. The Chemical Brothers' compelling and often astoundingly polished score never detracts from the relevance of a scene, but instead amplifies it to new levels. I guess you could call it the definition of icing on the cake. This movie is an exhilarating, original, skillfully crafted piece of action cinema. With its refreshingly artsy directorial approach and breathtaking action sequences, "Hanna" is something totally new and totally ballsy, two adjectives we aren't used to hearing very often.
Parent of a 12, 14, and 17 year old Written bybillydog May 7, 2011

Bourne Identity meets Kill Bill. Stylish but a lot of graphic violence. Difficult to watch a child fighting grown-ups
Teen, 14 years old Written byLordiLover April 28, 2011

Perfect for 12+

Love this movie, I saw it. Some stuff may scare younger viewers, but i recommend it for anyone looking for a thrill.
Teen, 16 years old Written bysummerluver April 28, 2011

I saw this last night and it is a great movie! There is a ton of action but not that much blood and it has a few scenes that lighten the mood and make you laugh in it. Overalli would recommend this to anyone thirteen and older who loves a thrilling action flick
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bypopcornqueen April 22, 2011

Too violent for younger teens

I liked the movie for myself, but wouldn't consider taking my 13 year old. Just about every scene contained bloody, graphic violence (shooting, stabbing, neckbreaking, you name it) that I don't consider appropriate for that age group. I don't think the PG-13 rating was correctly assigned. Seems like the raters are far more concerned with sex than with violence. The people in front of us brought their 4 year old with them. Get a babysitter or wait until it comes out on disc!