All member reviews for Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Brisk, outrageous action movie has tons of witchy violence.

Adult Written bychristian2011 January 25, 2013

Definitely a more adult take on the children's book. Filled with intense bloody and gory action, profanity and sexual themes. Alright for kids 16+

Hansel and Gretel : Witch Hunters is like an adult version of the children's fable, with loads of intense action sequences showing demonic witches preying on the townsfolk, with loads of blood, decapitation, dismemberment, and one man walking into a bar (drunk) whom shockingly explodes with gore splattering everywhere. The mercenaries lead by Hansel & Gretel use advanced, powerful weaponry such as gating guns, missile launchers, and shotguns in combat, while the witches transform into frightening creatures which will scare younger viewers. It's a major ironic twist of the fairy tale, similar to the 2012 movie "Snow White & The Huntsman". Language is strong at times (uses of f**k, sh*t, b*tch) and there's a brief sex scene implied by Hansel and another woman in a nearby lake, some nudity is seen (breasts, buttocks). I thought it was a rather witty and exciting take on the original, and the special effects are surprisingly great. However, parents, you all should let your children pass on this one, because it's rated R for a reason. Mature 16 year old kids should handle it.
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2013

Same Old Story,Different Day

This movie is just the same fractured fairy tale with blood. There's just nothing special that stands out in this movie. Save your money.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysam varma January 25, 2013

promising..jut promising

good gory action thriller which is promising....... could have been better though
Parent Written byslipperywalrus July 4, 2013

suprisingly good

violence is gory and also kind of entertaining at the same time. the is a scene where a man and a women kiss in a lake where you can also see her rear end and also some mild language.
Kid, 12 years old October 25, 2013

I hate to break it to you, but this movie is EPIC! (after you watch it/ if you've watched it you will get that)

There's no dout bout it, this is an amazing movie. I loved this movie, this was my sort of movie, tons of violence, a bit of swearing and just BOSS attitudes. The level of violence in this is high but not that realistic. Like witches get blown to shreds, two witches fly into some wires and get completely decapitated, a witches head gets pulled off, etc. Now, I watched this and I didn't find the violence that intense, it all had a dark feeling about it but it didn't really make me dry-reach or anything. Like sometimes I might go "Ew" but thats it. The only violence that really made me feel sick was when Hansel and Gretel's Dad got hung. He was thrashing all over the place, which I found VERY disturbing. The scariest part for me was when Hansel and another girl get into a fresh spring of water, naked, and start kissing. It is then implied they have sex. This is the only sexual thing that happens in the movie though and if you don't want to see this there's a pretty long introduction before they go in, They for one, are sitting right next to it, then the girl (forgot her name) says its easier if he just gets in the spring, so Hansel gets up as she starts to undress and says that its fine, etc. Well then he gets in they kiss, blah blah blah. There is not that much swearing but Hansel and Gretel are pretty straight foreward people, easy going, theres one point where a witch casts a spell on a man and he walks into a bar with lots of people including Hansel and Gretel and he explodes, Gretel, while wiping blood and guts off her shirt says "I hate that f****ing spell. " I would say a mature 12 -13 year old.
Parent Written byDan G. February 1, 2013

Not for teens of any age!

Parents! This film is not for teens. The film contains non-stop gory violence, the whole movie is based on vengeance, there is female nudity , and the language is the worst. There are multiple reasons that this is rated R.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 June 13, 2013

Funny, and Gory...... I think a mature 12 year old can handle it.

I have to say this movie was very enjoyable. It was however very gory, but it was done in a very stylized way meaning that the blood looked pretty artificial, but it would scare some of the younger kids. There was some drinking, but bad at all. There were a few F words, and S words, but pretty mild for a R rated movie. there was one quick scene of nudity in which they show a woman's butt, and breast this scene is pretty fast though, and she gets in the water with a man, and then the scene cuts away, so no sex acts are shown. I think that a mature 12 year old can handle it.
Adult Written bydarthsitkur January 31, 2013

ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!!!!!!!!!

i finally saw this last night and it was freakin crazy lol, it topped planet terror lol, this is the goriest and the most insane movie ever and i loooooved it lol, tons of insane action and tons of extreme gore, this is an action thriller on crack and one of the best action movies ever :), P.S. the unrated, uncensored, uncut extended version is A LOT worse lol, they extended the fight scenes and made them just as insane and they also threw in even more extreme gore, and a child victim also gets his head cut in half after being force fed a poisonous frog
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byYellowbluegum June 27, 2013

Graphic violence! Gorry and disturbing.

Even though I enjoyed the movie, I thought the violence was very vivid and shockingly horrific. It had a troll stepping on someone's head and blood spilling out, bodies dismembered and blood gushing. It's very graphic and in your face. My kids, 8 and 10, will watch violence like Avengers, Iron Man etc, but this is violence of a different level. I'd definitely say 16+ viewers only!
Kid, 10 years old May 4, 2013

Really good!

Parent of a 7 and 15 year old Written byParentReviewz January 27, 2013

Goofy, Gory and a Good Time!

Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters is a more adult take on the classic fairytale that goes more in detail in the backstory and now features the two leads as bounty hunters. The violence is goofy to the point of being comical but very gory and sex is implied along with brief nudity (A Woman's Bare Breast is show briefly along with her backside.) There are about 6 F-Words along with W---e, S--t, and other mild words. It can be intense at some times but the film is mostly comical so I'd say 13+ can handle it.
Parent of a 15 year old Written by3984576 February 27, 2013

Never again do I assume a movie is PG-13!

I was fairly taken back when I took my 15 year old and her friend to this movie and realized that this was NOT a PG-13 movie. Shame on me for not making sure. Within the first 15 or so minutes the f-bomb starts to be dropped. The violence is gory. Not oh here is a bone sticking out of a limb gory but enough that I was concerned. Heads are squished, there is a hanging scene and you see the hanging victim struggle and then die. I would NOT take a child to see it even though it features Hansel and Gretel. It isn't a fairytale story for children.
Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2013

Hansel and Gretel- Jeremy Renner

cant wait until it comes out love you jeremy renner
Teen, 15 years old Written byMidoShery June 27, 2013

Amazing movie! For teens and adults.

The movie is awesome! The movie is for teens & adults only because it's a bit violent and because of the scene between the witch and Hansel (which you can skip or cover your eyes until it is over). It is full of action and a good plot. Hansel and Gretel are positive role models because they kill evil witches and help people.
Adult Written byKitKatKaity June 8, 2013

Awful and Filled with Cursing

This movie is certainly not for children. I'm surprised that Jeremy Renner would agree to be in such a poor movie after his success with movies such as The Hurt Locker, and with the fact that he has been chosen to take on the Mission Impossible franchise and the Bourne franchise. There is tons of violence and the review on commonsense media isn't accurate as far as the cursing. The F-word is thrown about constantly, not just a handful of times. That alone is enough to make the movie near unwatchable. It was a poor attempt to cash in on the styles made famous by movies such as Sin City, Red Riding Hood, and Sucker Punch. Hansel and Gretel just doesn't measure up. The violence is extremely gory, yet so far-fetched as to be humorous and the storyline is lost among the outrageous makeup and characterization.
Parent Written byShivom Oza January 31, 2013

Hansel And Gretel - Witch Hunters (2013) Review by Shivom Oza – Wicked Spin On Iconic Fairy-tale

‘Hansel And Gretel – Witch Hunters’, written and directed by Tommy Wirkola, is a part-gory-part-raunchy-part-comic and mostly-fantasy film. It is based on the continuation to the German fairy tale ‘Hansel And Gretel’. The two siblings grow up to become witch hunters, who get challenged by a group of deadly witches, which are out to attain unassailability. The film offers regular doses of laughter, butchering, witty one-liners and gorgeous ladies. Gemma Arterton (Gretel - the pick of the lot), Famke Janssen (the witch/antagonist), Joanna Kulig, Ingrid Bolsø Berdal and Pihla Viitala look ethereal on-screen (for those playing the witches, only when they take up the human form). You could watch this film just for Gemma! Otherwise, the film is a decent-watch. Something you could watch at home, but not really worth spending money on. There is not much of a story here. Following the original ‘fairy tale’, the film shows the older Hansel (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton). They turn into witch hunters and keep the humans safe! As the ‘ominous’ Blue Moon approaches, the witches congregate to capture the two famed witch hunters in order to attain unassailability. The witches are led by the powerful-yet-evil Muriel (Famke Janssen). Hansel-Gretel, aided by a white witch Mina (Pihla Viitala) and Ben (Thomas Mann). Even though the script does falter, the dialogues are quite witty. The director has focused enough on aspects such as Gemma’s irresistible looks, romantic angle between Hansel and Mina and harmless banter between most characters. So, the film, at large, does manage to entertain. The 3D is non-existent. CGI in some parts is below-par. Action sequences have been well conceived and shot. Overall, the film isn’t extraordinary but neither is it avoidable. A decent one-time watch, YET, it would be advisable you rent the DVD. Decent fare! Worth watching at home! Shivom Oza
Teen, 14 years old Written byNoa_iak September 25, 2013

A great movie for teen around 15-16 years old

sorry if i have mistakes english isn't my native language.. A wonderful movie I wached with my friends when we were in thr 9th grade [14 and 15 years old] and we all enjoyed it very much. The witches are very realistic and might frighten some kids or even teenagers but it's worth it. There is one scene as writtn by this site, in witch there is a girl nude but mothing is really shown and we found it harmless. And I marked good massge beacuse just like in any other, the good wins. I don't know what else can I say it is just a great movie.
Kid, 11 years old March 11, 2013

gory

soo gory and violent with detale
Kid, 9 years old December 26, 2013

Best Witch Movie Ever!

This was the best witch movie ever! But do not show your little kids because the witches faces may scare them! But actually the witches were funny but the blood in it looks fake so for big kids it is a fun movie to watch!
Written byAnonymous May 30, 2013

Decent

I can't believe this movie received such negative reviews. It is bloodfilled stupid fun with some funny moments. This movie was decent and I thought it was good. 3.4/5