All member reviews for Happy Feet Two

Penguin sequel has fun musical numbers, a few mild scares.

Adult Written byDr3w November 18, 2011

"Fluffed Up"

Just wanted to protest the film-maker's decision to insert a completely unnecessary homosexual character into a children's animated film. Bill apparently harbors a same-sex affection for his best friend, Will. After leaving the millions-strong swarm, Bill, who the Boston Phoenix calls a "latently gay krill," talks about his longing for children. Then he suggests that he and Will could "start a little swarm of our own." Will immediately counters, "We're both males!" Bill then suggests adopting. As the conversation continues, Bill pleads for Will to "have me as a partner. I'm a heck of a wingman!" Cue Bill singing Wham!'s "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" and Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up." Will eventually tells Bill that he can stay with him. "But no hanky panky," he warns. The arrangement doesn't last long. When the pair is startled by something, Bill jumps on Will's back. Will says it's time for them to part ways. I'll probably be considered a homophobic religious wack job for this, but I really don't want my kids being exposed to this kind of nonsense. It makes them laugh at something that isn't funny. Plus, too much adult humor. Characters use "fluff" as a substitute curse word and some innuendo makes it into the dialogue. Bottom line: Skip this mediocre flick and watch a Pixar movie over again instead.
Parent Written bySnappy Mom November 18, 2011

HAPPY FEET IS SWEET BUT WATCH OUT FOR SYLVESTER AND TWEETY

I took my 3 year old daughter to see her first movie today. There's really nothing else in the theatre besides Happy Feet Two so that's what we chose. I really wanted to bring her to a movie rather than watching a DVD at home so she could have the overall experience of going to the movies. Having worked in the film business and being a great lover of movies, it really warmed my heart to share one of my very favorite pastimes with her. That said, I felt the quality of the film was lacking. She did not find it scary - thank goodness. I distracted her a bit during the scene with the predatory skua birds, though that may not have been necessary. She enjoyed the music, the dancing penguins and the brightness of the characters. However sweet the film was, I was disappointed by the dumbed-down dialoge and character development. This movie just doesn't value the intelligence of children. While I understand that a movie might not play to adults, this film felt stripped of narrative and character even for little ones. All children are astute and perceptive. They are sensitive and don't need emotions whittled down to nothing. The characters in this film barely emote. This is particularly a problem for the main character of Erik, a baby penguin who little ones would identify with the most. All of his emotional responses to what is going on around him feel watered down. The animation doesn't register the fear, disappointment, courage, and love this little fuzzy penguin is feeling. I only know he felt those emotions because the (badly written) dialogue told me so. Children are so sensitive and aware of the emotions around them, even if they don't understand them all. If the characters were more expressive, we would have had more to talk about after the film. But on another note, and to be fair, I thought the Bill and Will storyline was thoughtful for older children. Now for my biggest concern - PARENTS BE FOREWARNED - the antiquated violence of the Looney Tunes short that proceeds Happy Feet Two. It's a Sylvester/Tweety Bird cartoon in the classic style where Sylvester tries to capture and kill Tweety at all cost. And by "classic style" I mean there are lots of antics like slamming windows on fingers, chasing with a baseball bat, being thrown out a window, etc. I was surprised and dumbfounded with how to explain this to my daughter. Perhaps if I had done more research I would have known this short film was playing before the feature film and could have arrived later. Even though I grew up on Tom and Jerry and turned out fine, I would never want my daughter watching it and certainly not at this age. But back to Happy Feet Two. I thought it was a sweet film, just not the smartest, most elevated version of children's fare. My daughter said she liked every part of the movie, that none of it scared her and that she wanted to go to the movies again tomorrow.
Parent of a 9, 10, 14, and 14 year old Written bynew guy02 November 18, 2011

note to parents

i would just like to remind parents of smaller children before going to the theater this weekend that this movie is rated pg and some content may not be sutible for all ages ps. i have heard some qustionable coments made alredy in the trailer if that info helps you decide.
Adult Written bynduns November 28, 2011

Um...

I enjoyed the film and certainly had fun watching it, but as I left the theater, I was wondering exactly what happened in this film. I was a tad confused by a lot of story elements. Not to mention a lot of subplots are introduced and not many are fully explored. Two of them are outright dropped within seconds, and the addition of the Krill didn't really help the film in any way. Nevertheless, the visuals are incredible and the music, unlike in the first one, is actually memorable, so for that reason alone, it is worth seeing.
Adult Written byricky12100 November 23, 2011

good movie

it a really good movie watch it
Adult Written byfilm_noir_lover November 22, 2011

Nice but Nietzhe

While I think the film is terrific as a kids film, some of the older ones may pick up on the independence as a form of rebellion, rather than leadership. Also, some of the existential questions may also sit in the minds of the older children.
Adult Written bySTRIDER9 April 7, 2013

cute

Its a really cute adventure.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

Also a good sequel

Just like the Charlotte's Web sequel or the sequels to Toy Story or The Rescuers Down Under. Nothing bad in it. Nothing like the disappointing Cars sequel. 8.5/10
Parent of a 9, 13, and 15 year old Written byGOOD MOTHER March 25, 2012

Family movie

I thought it was a great family movie. Not to many family movies these days. Adults and kids will enjoy.
Parent Written bykylog42 November 28, 2011

Too scary for my 4 1/2 year old

I brought my 4 1/2 year old daughter, who has seen Toy Story, Cars and the latest Winnie the Pooh movie. I wish I hadn't brought her. This had way more scary parts for a young child than any of the above movies. That coupled with a positively adorable protagonist, in the baby penguin Eric, made the scary parts just much too scary for her. In addition, the themes were way over the head of a young child, and yet not done in a way where she just missed it. I'm thinking of the repeated existential themes ("what's the point of living, we're all just going to die") and the themes about highly fallible parents, not to mention the palpable risk of young seals/penguins losing their parents. Last, as an adult, this movie sucks. The writing is far poorer than any of the Pixar movies I've seen, which generally stitch together a plot line and dialog which are simultaneously accessible to both adults and young children. The one upside: the music numbers. When it comes out on video, it might be worth buying to make a highlight reel of the music numbers -- *that* would be perfect for young children. In short, pass.
Parent Written bytento45 November 24, 2011

Happy

Parent Written byMysteryE November 20, 2011

Bill and Will are fantastic! Love those krill!

This movie does not have as much dance as you would think. There are some fantastic songs, and the overall movie is mildly entertaining. It doesn't contain enough relief from the scenes of peril, and even i was thinking "enough already" after challenge after dangerous challenge was thrown our way. I especially didn't like one scene where the baby penguins were in danger of being eaten by the seagulls. Pretty scary stuff, especially for little kids. As far as the review that was concerned about the two krill Bill and Will - I do consider that individual a homophobic wack job. The two krill overall come off as good guy buddies, with the kind of slightly sideways comments expected from close male friends. In fact, we liked these two characters the best of all. Some good messages about believing in yourself and working as a team. But not strongly message-filled overall.
Teen, 13 years old Written byC Jack August 7, 2013

Worst Movie I have ever seen

Too much singing and way to much just messing around. The first was way better than this one. If they keep making more im not watching them. Not good for teens.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAmun-Ra September 21, 2012

Gay krill are adorable

i liked this movie, though the original was better as it usually is with sequals. the main storyline was a bit slow and didnt really flow right. so they added a little second storyline about two krill trying to be carnivores. I liked the gay krill couple very much and i think it is good that they added them inot the movie to teach children that gay people should be accepted and treated as normal people. Anybody who says they dont want their children to see something as "obscene" as a very UNflamboyant gay couple are just ignorant closeminded people. BTW i dont have gay parents, im straight, and i dont have any gay friends so im not biased, im just a good person. its good to teach children good things when their young so they grow up with good values and they dont turn into jerks. Also there were a lot of adorable baby animals but they got into kind of dangerous situations that even made a sixteen year old almost cry in fear for the daddy elephant seal :(
Kid, 11 years old September 2, 2012

not enough

they need to put some other animals in this movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byHarleyTye May 23, 2012

Happy Feet = Happy Viewers

it's a good fun movie that i recomend, with singing, slight violence, and dancing. this movie shows that even the smallest of steps makes a BIG difference.
Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2012

FM

PG For Some Mild Rude Humor, Language, And Some Few Scary Monments
Parent Written bySally Fields April 6, 2012

Gender imbalance

Another example of predominantly male protagonists, so not recommended for your daughters!
Kid, 11 years old March 16, 2012

Happy Feet Two

This was OK. It was an improvement on the first. This one was not as slow. There were some scary scenes, and Bill and Will try to turn carnivorous. Ramon and Carmen flirt. But other than that this was a pretty clean movie. I didn't love it, but it was watchable.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymrbookworm01 December 4, 2011

OK movie, but not for the youngest kids

I watched this movie in theaters and I thought it was an ok movie. It has some peril that might be a little too much for younger kids, but it's still a good movie and has a positive message about the importance of family and friends, following your dreams, and that anyone can make a change. Plus, the musical numbers are really good to listen to. Violence: Peril and brief mild slapstick violence, and krill fish are shown being eaten by predators, but nothing graphic is shown. Sex: Mumble and Gloria hug each other, and Ramon is shown flirting with a female penguin named Carmen, and he shouts at her, "You, me, egg, now!" Consumerism: This movie has merchandise for sale, and some real-life songs, like "We Are The Champions" are heard being sung by characters.