Parent Written byCarefulaboutmovies January 9, 2016

Disturbing!

Disturbing. Cute fuzzy little tap dancing penguin movie....I was totally caught off guard and disturbed by all the unnecessary and inappropriate sexualized stuff. The songs, too, from the very opening act were shocking. "Let's talk about sex, baby" with the word sex being edited to "x"...are you kidding me? I could go on and on with details of other disturbing scenes. I was uncomfortable with my 9 year old daughter watching this movie and I'm not super conservative. Also, pretty offended by the ultra stereotyped Latino characters which seemed purely added for random jokes. Penguins in the Arctic circle.....and we have Chicanos cracking mindless jokes? Not cool. Not even funny. I am kicking myself for not coming here first to read other parent reviews. This movie is not just bad, but is honestly disturbing how sexualized it is while being marketed to such young kids through a cute baby penquin. Yuck.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 16, 2012

Cute.

Happy Feet isn't that scary,I mean,there were some scary moments but it was such a cute movie (coming from a male.)
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 25, 2012

happy feet

Families can talk about how to accept and embrace each person's unique qualities. What makes Mumble different from the other penguins? Do you think it's hard for him to pursue his dream even when the others think it's weird? Why do some people think that everyone should conform and "fit in"? Has there ever been a time when you didn't feel like you fit in? How did that make you feel? How can people's individual abilities benefit their community and the larger world?
Adult Written bySarah Grace September 27, 2010

Weird.

Eww, eww, eww. I can't believe I even watched this entire movie. Kids movie, huh? The music was gross, and the whole thing was just creepy and weird :( Kind of shocked me for a kids show.
Parent Written byDaisey042 December 26, 2009

Not such a happy show

The show started out pretty cute, but like most movies something mean has to be in it. There is too many scary scenes and depressing scenes in it. You feel sorry for "Happy Feet" the peguin. He goes through so much in the movie. It's an emotional movie.
Parent of an infant, 1, 3, 6, 7, and 9 year old Written byTheKennedys November 2, 2009

A Must See For All Kids Ages 3-12!

Although this movie is a little scary at times, I recommend it for kids between 3 and 12! Younger than that might get a little scared, and older might get a little bored! Awesome movie! A favorite of my 4 children who can watch TV!
Adult Written byHockeyLuvR April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008
Adult Written bygarfield2711 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byloie April 9, 2008

I creid and laughed

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Surprising Innuendo!

Filled with totally uncalled for innuendo. Not for kids.
Adult Written byalbrightfamily April 9, 2008

Best movie for hippity hoppity 5 year olds and up ever!!!

Adult Written byscallywag05 n. January 2, 2017

Sex

In one scene the penguin looks like it is innocently slipping around and slipping with another penguin but actually is moving into multiple sex positions.
Educator and Parent of a 1, 5, and 5 year old Written byKira M. November 18, 2016
Did not appeal to my sense of humor, but the animation is beautiful. Some scary moments, especially the elaphant seal, but overall my sensitive 4-year olds enjoyed the movie. Positive message about being true to yourself.
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Parent Written bymbmartin874 July 5, 2015

Confused and confusing

This movie can't decide what it wants to be. Is it a cute family comedy, a hip hop urban tale set in the Antarctic, a cautionary environmental warning, an artistic homage to the power of staying true to yourself? It's all of these and none - but not in a good way. I took my then-4-year-old son to see this thinking it would be a cute, funny, feel-good family film. I realized quickly I was wrong. This is not a film for little kids. There are some genuinely scary scenes in which a menacing, blood-thirsty seals and orcas chase and try to eat penguins. There's also a section of this film which shows a group of penguins growing increasingly depressed trapped in a zoo exhibit, slowly losing their minds. Older kids (8+) may be better with these scenes, but again, the tone of this film is really uneven. This may be one of my least favorite children's films, which is saying a lot.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byPixiePrincess February 9, 2014

Wonderful movie

I agree that there are a few scary scenes, but I just kept close to my little one when he watched it for the first few times. He's now 7 and still loves this movie.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

Mild violence and sex, but it's so good!

Sure some people hate this movie. But I don't. It's a classic morality tale about being different. Related underdog movies: Chicken Little, Charlotte's Web 2: Wilbur's Great Adventure, A Bug's Life, The Sword in the Stone, Ratatouille, Dumbo, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and The Rescuers. 9.5/10
Parent Written bydefcsm November 2, 2012

Tapping and Singing with a Preschooler to Happy Feet

So I finally joined Common Sense Media tonight just to add my review to this movie. I have used CSM for the last several years to look up tv shows and movies, and then decide what is right for my family. Luckily I have found this site is for parents/families from all kinds of backgrounds, opinions, and beliefs. That being said, tonight I feel the need to stick up for this movie, Happy Feet. If you decided that the movie was not right for your children or belief system, good for you. But I'd like to offer what we found: songs/music by Prince, Elvis, Stevie Wonder, The Beach Boys, Gipsy Kings, Steve Miller Band, Queen, and the Beatles! We also found tap, mambo, hip hop, and jazz dance. If you don't enjoy these varied kinds of music and dancing in real life, you probably won't want your children exposed to it either. We also found plot similarities to Finding Nemo and The Lion King, where the young main character challenges the opinions and traditions of the elders/old guard/leaders of the group. If you don't want your children to learn to think for themselves, you might not want to see this movie. It's also great for a family discussion on how wonderful it is that everyone is good at different things. Another Nemo similarity is that Mumble is captured by humans and put in an aquarium. Again, a good talking point for families about real-life zoos and aquariums. We also found some scary chase scenes involving real-life animals that feed on penguins: skuas, leopard seals, and orcas. These were just as scary as Bruce the shark trying to eat Marlon and Dory, beware. We also found ethnic stereotypes that we'll definitely talk about later: Hispanic mambo-dancing penguins, an ethics-comprised African-American evangelical preacher, and an Irish-American colony leader. There were some plot lines that actually didn't make sense, like the visit to the evangelical preacher and the journey to an old human fishing town. These could have been completely cut from the movie. I also wish they had just used "humans" instead of "aliens," to describe people. My kid loves aliens, so it's just confusing. And so tonight, my 4.5 year-old tap-danced off to bed, and I'm humming Stevie Wonder. Thanks, Happy Feet!
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 24, 2012

CUTE, ADVENTUROUS, AND AMAZING!!!

When is eye-popping about this movie is the computer animation on the penguins and other animals. It looks so real! Besides that, I like the music, story, and characters of this movie! Robin Williams makes me chuckle in this movie! He's a funny actor! I haven't seen the second movie, but I heard that it was terrible! I guess I have to see it for myself!