All parent member reviews for Happy Feet

Educator and Parent Written byhybs January 16, 2013

Strange and not in a good way

Ugh. I do not understand the love for this movie. Very strange. Very sexual. Rather dull for long stretches. Wants to convey important messages, but very heavy-handed. Has some fun musical moments. The tap dancing was great, but skip the rest of the movie.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bymfa January 18, 2012

Sexual references are not appropriate for children

Since when are the lyrics "I'll make love to you, if you want me to" acceptable for a children's movie??? I was appalled (and, frankly, disgusted) by the blatant sexual references. I made the mistake of using this website's mobile app to check the recommended age on this, which meant that I failed to look at other parents' comments. We definitely will not be seeing Happy Feet 2!
Adult Written bywhatever9696 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bysbm_dvd April 9, 2008

best family film currently showing

My son and I saw this film today and we both really enjoyed it. The audience we were part of appeared to have an age range of 5-50 and they all seemed to enjoy it. Yes you will be dancing in your seat. No it is not racist. Personaly, I think that this is one of those movies where if you think it is racist that is because YOU are a the kind of neo-racist that things that racism is in EVERYTHING. I have also read that some adults are conserned about hints at sexuality in the film. I do not think this is really an issue. The mating rituals of the penguins is somewhat a mild focus. But is that so terrible? There was nothing that I found offensive or had issue with my 9YO child witnessing or hearing. I think the message of being true to who you are AND for the human race to be aware of our affect on our world are excellent messages in a family movie.
Adult Written byericvc April 9, 2008

Too intense, we had to walk out...

The promotions (and reviews) promise a great time -- cute penguins, lots of music, a foot-tapping sensation. But it is really needlessly scary and intense. I had hopes that the chases and persecution of Mumbles being different would ebb, but it was relentless and my kids (5+ and 8+) were crying to leave. My kids loved Madagascar, even March of the Penguins, but this was too scary. And I'm equally surprised how many other kids were shocked into silense -- there were no squeals of delight in our packed theater. The depressing thing is that this could have been so much more appealing if they didn't go so over-the-top in trying making it "thrilling."
Parent of a 7 year old Written byPixiePrincess February 9, 2014

Wonderful movie

I agree that there are a few scary scenes, but I just kept close to my little one when he watched it for the first few times. He's now 7 and still loves this movie.
Parent Written byhebba17 November 5, 2013

full of stereotypes, bullying, sexual innuendo, and mortality.

for some reason, i thought this movie was going to be a sweet, simple story about a cute little dancing penguin. i was absolutely WRONG. the songs have sexual content, the stereotypes are glaring, and the language is awful. at one point, one of the penguins mentions another penguin "killing himself", and that's after several other references of death. humans are called "featherless and fat". bullying and taunting are presented lightly. everything about this movie was terrible. there is no reason to voluntarily expose your children to any of these things. completely, completely NOT RECOMMENDED.
Adult Written bymassak April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymrsrobinson97 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bystepforone April 9, 2008

Not a happy film

I was really expecting light entertainment. Been looking forward to this film coming out on DVD. I am so disappointed in it! It was too violent for little ones (or at least it was scary) and sad and pushed environmental causes down our throats. I really don't want my 6 yo to feel like humans are evil aliens out to destroy the cute little penguins. We had both been looking forward to this movie but I'm glad I watched it first after she went to bed. She has a real issue about people being sad or scared on film. She starts crying and won't finish the movie. She would hate this movie if I had let her watch it. This is not the way it was marketed at all. Sooo glad we didn't go see it in the theatre.
Adult Written bykimmeroo April 9, 2008

Adult Written bynatensuz April 9, 2008

Adult Written bynurseterra April 9, 2008

Sex filled soap opera for children

I thought I was taking to watch a cute movie about penguins...instead it was a soap opera aimed at innocent children. I was very disappointed that the movie had such a sexual content...Singing "I'll make love to you," the all knowing penguin asking the ladies who was going to be "first." I was disgusted.
Adult Written byMiquell April 9, 2008

Great Lesson

I appreciate the message the movie sends out-
Adult Written bylmacmillan April 9, 2008

NOT SUITABLE FOR UNDER 8 YEARS.

I'll be brief since we who have children don't have time to waste! Don't take your child if he/she is under 8 years old. Scary violence, slow plot line and stereotypical behavior. My son bounced back and forth between bored and frightened. If Robin Williams hadn't had a couple funny lines, (yes, just a couple) my son wouldn't have even giggled. And honestly, how many times is watching penguins lip-sync to pop music funny? Maybe 2 to 3 times, then the novelty wears thin. The message of being environmentally conscious and accepting differences is great, but next time (message to the studios) more humor, less violence. Parents just want their children to be entertained. The lecturing we'll save for when they're older.
Adult Written bydrod13579 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymegnkyle April 9, 2008

I was disappointed in this movie. I brought my 8 year-old daughter and 5 year-old son to this and they were divided, my daughter liked it, my son was bored and asked to leave several times. That said, I was uncomfortable with the sexual innuendo, it was blatent and not over my daughter's head. I really thought this movie was a bit of a downer. I am already aware the environment is in trouble and they hit you over the head with it but then had a ridculous ending with people showing up in a helicopter, to do what......? Then they start dancing wit penguins. If you are going to make a documentary on the environment I am all for it and maybe we will be entertained. But I thought this was a funny, light-hearted family movie and then they lecture to us. And one more observation, after about the third musical number I started thinking about Hello Dolly. Just when you thought you were getting back to the story,,,another musical number. My poor son, he was so excited to go see this movie, afterall, weren't the trailers cute and funny. I hate to be mislead, misspend my money and disappoint my children. I can only hope Charlotte's Web will be more redeeming.
Adult Written byDae1 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bykelliec12 April 9, 2008

GREAT MOVIE!!

This movie is GREAT! It's good for both children and adults. Keeps you smiling and on the edge of your seat the whole movie! Had NOTHING bad to say about it!
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byvbluebass April 9, 2008

Not as Advertised

All of the cute, fluffy silliness that was so heavily advertised is merely a ploy to get families into the theater. Once there, you are bombarded with the "evils of mankind" and our callous approach to the environment. All cuteness is quickly thrown out the window and you are left with a heaviness that only Hollywood slef-righteous guilt can give you. My whole family left the theater extremely disappointed.