All parent member reviews for Happy Feet

Adult Written bymcmom2 April 9, 2008

Not really about tapdancing penguins....

We went to see this movie mainly because I have a teenage daughter who dances and was excited to see the tapping, and a son who is preschool age. The first half hr or so was ok, but I felt that as it went on, it became darker and pretty depressing. I think the enviromental issues were too much for an animated film and that it was geared towards adults, not children. The adult behind us actually started crying and I heard her say "I didn't think I would get so upset about a kids movie". That sums it up. I do feel that the previews were misleading and I probably would not have taken my son to see this movie had I known the content. I guess it was PG for a reason! (I do think some props should be given to the awesome Savion Glover who did the tapping for Mumbles--that is the reason we went to see the movie!)
Adult Written byjfamily8 April 9, 2008

THIS MOVIE HAS LIBERAL WRITTEN ALL OVER IT!!

This movie has great animation and the cutest little baby penguins. It had the potential to be a really cute movie about a penguin that didn't fit in-but that was just a mask for the real agenda. It starts with penguin "singing" mating rituals that are way too sensual for little kids to watch. It included songs with the lyrics "let's talk about ex baby" and "I'll make love to you, like you want me to" and several other songs with lyrics too sensual for young children. It had underlying themes that portrayed humans as bad people who are ignorant to the plight of animals. It shows the younger penguins rebelling against the older penguins and their traditions. It shows penguins lining up to worship and ask questions to an "all knowing" penguin. When we were walking out of the theatre my husband said "I feel like my kids have just been taken hostage". That statement pretty much sums it up.
Adult Written bymichaelsep April 9, 2008

Don't be scared away from other reviews

Okay, I read every review of this movie before my wife and I took our three year old to see it last night. It was good to know that there were some intense chase scenes that were scary but this is no different from the movie The Incredibles. As far as people's reactions to the "sexualization" of this movie, they are way too over sensitive to this. It was not a big deal. In the animal kingdom (look out big secret) animals mate and they usually have a season in which they do this. Its not like they showed the penguins "doing it". It is a great message of how we as humans need to take care of our earth collectively and globally. We do have a history of destroying animals natural habitats. Yes my daughter was frightened at times but that is okay. It was a bit slow in the middle but things picked up at the end.
Adult Written byKayhawk April 9, 2008

Happy Feet, Tortured Soul

This headline says it all. My biggest complaint about this movie was that it wasn't entertaining. Kids started squirming and crying about an hour into it, and I was tempted to do the same. The plot was schmaltzy and zoomed all over the place, with a big sloppy "message" slapped onto the last quarter of the movie. This is a mish-mash of March of the Penguins, Moulin Rouge and I don't know what else -- some boring documentary about overfishing, I suppose. Enjoy the previews when you see them on TV, that's the only fun part of the movie.
Adult Written byjuddfamily6 April 9, 2008

Disappointed

The penguins were adorable, but the movie moved too slowly. The toddler left early and then my 7 yr. old asked to leave. The seal was too vicious for a kids movie and unnessecarily large and scary! Did not see the end because the 3rd oldest asked to leave also. PLEASE keep the cartoons innocent and funny without all the drama!!!
Adult Written byskipper April 9, 2008

Tries to brain wash kids

The movie is way too long for small children and can not hold their attention in fact I got bored with the show and was ready to leave half way through the show. The under message of the movie is to brain wash the parent and the child. It is definately not a movie I will buy when it comes out on DVD.. Watching it once was one too many times.
Adult Written byhatewhatisbad April 9, 2008

mislead by cute commercials

This movie had the wrong rating. It should have been rated pg-13 for all the sexual references. Yes, we know penguiuns and other animals mate and have a season to do so but why display this on a cutesy disney kids movie? Yes, kids do see worse things at school but why show it to them here on the big screen too? We as parents and they as kids have to deal with it enough already outside of the theatre. This movie was very uncomfortable to sit thru. Each time the penguins males would sing and would surround the female penguin it felt as is they were about to jump her and rape her. The stereo-typing of certain ethnicity groups was also uncomfortable. And we wonder why this country is so messed up and why some do not respect each other just because of how they talk or how they think all in one particular group are. The way religion was portrayed was also very negative. Lovelace the "high preist penguin" was a womanizer and a liar. Well, lots of preists have been proven liars but on the big screen during a kids movie?!! What are we teaching our children? That this is all a normal way to be and oh well its okay until they get caught?!! Well, with this movie they are learning nothing good. Yes, the graphics were cute and that is the only thing i liked about the move. Overall it was a waste of time and money. We will not rent this movie when it comes out on DVD or buy any of its merchandise.
Adult Written byMommaTish April 9, 2008

Laughed my head off

Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

i cried then i laughed

i liked it because it really showed my kids that no matter if you are diffrent from other people u do not make fun of them because they are speacial.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byaveryt_m April 9, 2008

Gorgeous Animation - too bad about the story

Where did good storytelling go? There was no story to Happy Feet. Many scenes were just gimmicks for pop songs, Robin Williams schtick, or over-the-top peril or schmaltz. The best scenes were of the Antarctic and how real penguins survive. Watch for the dazzling animation of the dark winter night, the colonies of elephant seals, penguings diving and swimming, ice calving, and the cold Antarctic winds and seas. Dazzling! Also fantastic was the melding of live action actors with the animation in the final act. The story really let the animation down though. Though they were stereotypes, the Amigos were the best characters because they were *fun* not posturing or flirting or being pompously virtuous. The view of religion here was dismal - we talked about the religion and racial stereotypes right away with our kids and the commercialization of using pop and disco music. The environmental message was timely but, if that's your main reason to see "Happy Feet", please, take your children to see "An Inconvenient Truth" instead.
Adult Written byericvc April 9, 2008

Too intense, we had to walk out...

The promotions (and reviews) promise a great time -- cute penguins, lots of music, a foot-tapping sensation. But it is really needlessly scary and intense. I had hopes that the chases and persecution of Mumbles being different would ebb, but it was relentless and my kids (5+ and 8+) were crying to leave. My kids loved Madagascar, even March of the Penguins, but this was too scary. And I'm equally surprised how many other kids were shocked into silense -- there were no squeals of delight in our packed theater. The depressing thing is that this could have been so much more appealing if they didn't go so over-the-top in trying making it "thrilling."
Adult Written bydavnree April 9, 2008

A bed of nails would have been easier to endure.

While my 10 yr old and his 10 yr old friend really liked this movie, I did not. It was torture for me to sit through all 6 hrs of it ( ok so it wasn't that long but it felt like it). Watching hundreds of singing, tap dancing penguins over and over was worse than having my eyebrows waxed. I will say the lesson of someone being different and not to make fun of them is a good lesson. But the rest of it was not a good lesson. Why did the slackers all have hispanic sounding accents? Why did the lead female penguins have to have a chest that appeared to lool like cleavage? Why did the seal have to be sooooo vicious looking? This should have been an enjoyable little kid g rated movie. They show this cute little fuzzy penguin on all the ads,but parents beware, it is a PG movie and some scenes are too intense for younger children. It is a shame.
Adult Written bycom511 April 9, 2008

I almost danced

I loved that my kids had so much fun and that you could show them how each and every penguin had its own personality.
Adult Written bytobychase April 9, 2008

zzzzzz

I'm sorry....is the movie over yet? I almost fell asleep. The worst part was when my 6 year old asked me if it was over yet. She wanted to leave. Way to long and boring.
Adult Written bygotnun April 9, 2008

Too much adult content/ themes/sexula songs!

I was very diappointed in this movie. It's been marketed as a young children's movie yet it had a lot of adult themes and songs in the movie. (Ex. Princes' song: "You don't need experience to turn me on...I just need your body baby..." also the sex crayzed penguin was a bit much! The only 2 things I liked were 1. the "it doesn't matter if you're different" aspect and 2. conservation (which is stilla difficult concept in a children's movie)
Adult Written byplanetpj April 9, 2008

Innapropriate for younger kids

Bottom line, this movie is too scary for little ones. I took my 5 year old and his 5 year old friend. Both kids cried and wanted to leave. This did not seem like a children's movie to me, it seemed more like an animated movie for adults. The social, political, religious and sexual themes were inappropriate for younger kids. Although, i don't think either boy understood any of these references or themes. As an adult watching this movie, the plot was all over the place and it was waaaaay too long!
Educator and Parent Written byVIlandDad April 9, 2008

A bit sexy for a 3 year old

Music was great - very Moulin Rouge in use of montage and reworking classic songs. I agree that some of the penguin behaviour was stereotypical (as mentioned in the review) and occasionally bordered on sexist - a group of young male Latino penguins taunt female penguins to give up some booty & show them their stuff. Scene where the seals and Killer Whales attack the penguins were a bit frightening for my 3 year old.
Adult Written bygwhiz April 9, 2008

scary marketing

this flick was marketed to young kids as a cute movie musical about penguins who tap dance. none of the marketing mentions that the cute dancing tap dancing penguins are menaced by terrifying sharks and sea lions! YIKES!
Adult Written byoaklandgal83 April 9, 2008

not great for older children

The younger children liked it but the children 12+ didnt. I thought the movie was too slow and a little boring.
Adult Written bysinaj April 9, 2008

Fun flick but music is inappropos for young kids

We enjoyed the movie and appreciated the "different is OK too" message but it's disturbing to hear my 9 year old singing songs from the movie written by Prince, specifically the Kiss mash up sung by Mumble's mom and dad. Think twice before you buy the soundtrack for your kids.