All member reviews for Happy Feet

Ultra-cute kid flick has a few scary, emotional moments.

Teen, 15 years old Written bycwj April 9, 2008

what are people thinking

I say this movie because everyone said it was great. I was hugely let down. I don't see why people liked this boring, depressing stupid movie.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written bywillbarchi April 9, 2008

Fabulous music and animation!

If you want a really quirky musical animation, you cant go wrong with this. However, some of the heart song's are quite heavy on innuendo... In the opening, when mumble's mother (played by nicole kidman) is looking for a mate and singing, some of the male penguin's songs are quite iffy for young kids, but funny for older ones. I liked the 'Let's talk about eggs' one. xD Obviously, many of the jokes will go over the heads of young kids, but its worth pointing out that this movie isnt entirely fluffy.
Adult Written bysjaeger April 9, 2008
I thought the sexual content of this movie was completely inappropriate. I understand that the behaviors were based on the real behaviors of penguins, but I certainly don't think it's necessary to put some things on display for children to see. More specifically, the scene where two penguins fall together and are slipping and sliding around on top of each other and appear to climax together. Completely inappropriate. What I don't understand is why this type of material is constantly put into movies that are targeted towards young children.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Surprising Innuendo!

Filled with totally uncalled for innuendo. Not for kids.
Adult Written byalbrightfamily April 9, 2008

Best movie for hippity hoppity 5 year olds and up ever!!!

Teen, 17 years old Written byMaya16 July 27, 2016

Cute penguins but way too much music

This movie is what I would consider a musical. I find the Penguins adorable but there is too much singing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhappyfeetconcerner March 12, 2016

Not so Happy Feet

I found happy feet not to be family friendly. I fear it. happy feet should be rated R it's scary to see. no child should have to see happy feet. go to my webpage www.stopthehappyfeet.com today!!! we have a convention in Omaha every year please consider! stop happy feet!!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byhbs78910 January 15, 2016

Terrible

First off, whoever wrote the review for this obviously didn't watch it or doesn't have children. This was the most sexual innuendo I have ever seen in a "Children's" movie and Common Sense gives it 1 star for "sexy stuff"??? Come on guys! Overall, it was just bad. Plot was weird, lots of religious undertones, strange ending, unnecessary suspense that scared my kids. Skip it.
Parent Written byCarefulaboutmovies January 9, 2016

Disturbing!

Disturbing. Cute fuzzy little tap dancing penguin movie....I was totally caught off guard and disturbed by all the unnecessary and inappropriate sexualized stuff. The songs, too, from the very opening act were shocking. "Let's talk about sex, baby" with the word sex being edited to "x"...are you kidding me? I could go on and on with details of other disturbing scenes. I was uncomfortable with my 9 year old daughter watching this movie and I'm not super conservative. Also, pretty offended by the ultra stereotyped Latino characters which seemed purely added for random jokes. Penguins in the Arctic circle.....and we have Chicanos cracking mindless jokes? Not cool. Not even funny. I am kicking myself for not coming here first to read other parent reviews. This movie is not just bad, but is honestly disturbing how sexualized it is while being marketed to such young kids through a cute baby penquin. Yuck.
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Parent Written bymbmartin874 July 5, 2015

Confused and confusing

This movie can't decide what it wants to be. Is it a cute family comedy, a hip hop urban tale set in the Antarctic, a cautionary environmental warning, an artistic homage to the power of staying true to yourself? It's all of these and none - but not in a good way. I took my then-4-year-old son to see this thinking it would be a cute, funny, feel-good family film. I realized quickly I was wrong. This is not a film for little kids. There are some genuinely scary scenes in which a menacing, blood-thirsty seals and orcas chase and try to eat penguins. There's also a section of this film which shows a group of penguins growing increasingly depressed trapped in a zoo exhibit, slowly losing their minds. Older kids (8+) may be better with these scenes, but again, the tone of this film is really uneven. This may be one of my least favorite children's films, which is saying a lot.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEthan Does “eth... June 24, 2015

GREAT MOVIE FOR THE FAMILYS

I really like this movie. Mumble is soooo cute and penguins rock! Yes, there is some scary violence. However, it's all nature. Seals eat penguins, but thank goodness Mumble doesn't get eaten. I know there's sexual innuendo but it'll go over kids' heads. The innuendo is mild. Honestly, who cares about racial stereotypes? I don't. And the environmental message? Why are people commenting bad things about that? The message is good: We should stop overfishing and polluting. Cute movie with only a little bit of natural violence! Recommended for ages 2+! Have fun! =3
Kid, 11 years old May 24, 2015

Cute movie! But Iffy

Well I'm younger and still in middle school. I was watching this movie In class since we were rained out. I thought it was a childish movie and it is for kids but there was some content I was surprised about. There wasn't bad language but a little bit of sexual refrences. Not very many but they were dancing and I saw a penguin kissing another and slapping their' butt. They were singing the song "Somebody to love." And I thought it was cute. Violence was a little uneasy. While the main character, Mumble, is still a baby penguin, he is wandering around until he comes across three old birds who want to chase him and eat him. Doesn't sound much, but it might be much for your younger viewers. Another scene, when he is older, Mumble thinks he hears something and out jumps a big sea monster. It's comes out a the sea very fast and very startling and some kids in my class were jumping and screaming. I jumped a little. Too startling for younger ones. One other scene is where the find the love penguin caught in plastic and he starts to choke which was eh. It's very cute, but read the reviews before letting sensitive kids of young kids watch this! Very cute and family friendly. There might be some things to talk about at the end. Hope I helped!
Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2015

A fun movie with just some scares

I love this movie!Buy it at your store today.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThesmack321 March 26, 2014

What is everyones problem

Gosh guys, this movie is really good. It's so underated. I loved it and had seen it about 7 times. I would watch it again as it never gets old. I quite like how the characters fit in perfectly with the story line and all the weird customs. Its really cool to see what penguins think of us. Over all this is a 5 star movie.
Kid, 10 years old February 18, 2014

Very iffy, I don't know about this movie.

As a penguin hater, I personally hate this movie. But penguin fans might like it. There is a scene with love songs, so it gets sexual a tiny bit. Also, I put swearing because
Parent of a 7 year old Written byPixiePrincess February 9, 2014

Wonderful movie

I agree that there are a few scary scenes, but I just kept close to my little one when he watched it for the first few times. He's now 7 and still loves this movie.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

Mild violence and sex, but it's so good!

Sure some people hate this movie. But I don't. It's a classic morality tale about being different. Related underdog movies: Chicken Little, Charlotte's Web 2: Wilbur's Great Adventure, A Bug's Life, The Sword in the Stone, Ratatouille, Dumbo, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and The Rescuers. 9.5/10
Parent Written bydefcsm November 2, 2012

Tapping and Singing with a Preschooler to Happy Feet

So I finally joined Common Sense Media tonight just to add my review to this movie. I have used CSM for the last several years to look up tv shows and movies, and then decide what is right for my family. Luckily I have found this site is for parents/families from all kinds of backgrounds, opinions, and beliefs. That being said, tonight I feel the need to stick up for this movie, Happy Feet. If you decided that the movie was not right for your children or belief system, good for you. But I'd like to offer what we found: songs/music by Prince, Elvis, Stevie Wonder, The Beach Boys, Gipsy Kings, Steve Miller Band, Queen, and the Beatles! We also found tap, mambo, hip hop, and jazz dance. If you don't enjoy these varied kinds of music and dancing in real life, you probably won't want your children exposed to it either. We also found plot similarities to Finding Nemo and The Lion King, where the young main character challenges the opinions and traditions of the elders/old guard/leaders of the group. If you don't want your children to learn to think for themselves, you might not want to see this movie. It's also great for a family discussion on how wonderful it is that everyone is good at different things. Another Nemo similarity is that Mumble is captured by humans and put in an aquarium. Again, a good talking point for families about real-life zoos and aquariums. We also found some scary chase scenes involving real-life animals that feed on penguins: skuas, leopard seals, and orcas. These were just as scary as Bruce the shark trying to eat Marlon and Dory, beware. We also found ethnic stereotypes that we'll definitely talk about later: Hispanic mambo-dancing penguins, an ethics-comprised African-American evangelical preacher, and an Irish-American colony leader. There were some plot lines that actually didn't make sense, like the visit to the evangelical preacher and the journey to an old human fishing town. These could have been completely cut from the movie. I also wish they had just used "humans" instead of "aliens," to describe people. My kid loves aliens, so it's just confusing. And so tonight, my 4.5 year-old tap-danced off to bed, and I'm humming Stevie Wonder. Thanks, Happy Feet!