Ultra-cute kid flick has a few scary, emotional moments.

Teen, 15 years old Written byhappyfeetconcerner March 12, 2016

Not so Happy Feet

I found happy feet not to be family friendly. I fear it. happy feet should be rated R it's scary to see. no child should have to see happy feet. go to my webpage www.stopthehappyfeet.com today!!! we have a convention in Omaha every year please consider! stop happy feet!!
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Teen, 14 years old Written byEthan Does “eth... June 24, 2015

GREAT MOVIE FOR THE FAMILYS

I really like this movie. Mumble is soooo cute and penguins rock! Yes, there is some scary violence. However, it's all nature. Seals eat penguins, but thank goodness Mumble doesn't get eaten. I know there's sexual innuendo but it'll go over kids' heads. The innuendo is mild. Honestly, who cares about racial stereotypes? I don't. And the environmental message? Why are people commenting bad things about that? The message is good: We should stop overfishing and polluting. Cute movie with only a little bit of natural violence! Recommended for ages 2+! Have fun! =3
Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2015

A fun movie with just some scares

I love this movie!Buy it at your store today.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThesmack321 March 26, 2014

What is everyones problem

Gosh guys, this movie is really good. It's so underated. I loved it and had seen it about 7 times. I would watch it again as it never gets old. I quite like how the characters fit in perfectly with the story line and all the weird customs. Its really cool to see what penguins think of us. Over all this is a 5 star movie.
Kid, 10 years old February 18, 2014

Very iffy, I don't know about this movie.

As a penguin hater, I personally hate this movie. But penguin fans might like it. There is a scene with love songs, so it gets sexual a tiny bit. Also, I put swearing because
Parent of a 7 year old Written byPixiePrincess February 9, 2014

Wonderful movie

I agree that there are a few scary scenes, but I just kept close to my little one when he watched it for the first few times. He's now 7 and still loves this movie.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

Mild violence and sex, but it's so good!

Sure some people hate this movie. But I don't. It's a classic morality tale about being different. Related underdog movies: Chicken Little, Charlotte's Web 2: Wilbur's Great Adventure, A Bug's Life, The Sword in the Stone, Ratatouille, Dumbo, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and The Rescuers. 9.5/10
Parent Written bydefcsm November 2, 2012

Tapping and Singing with a Preschooler to Happy Feet

So I finally joined Common Sense Media tonight just to add my review to this movie. I have used CSM for the last several years to look up tv shows and movies, and then decide what is right for my family. Luckily I have found this site is for parents/families from all kinds of backgrounds, opinions, and beliefs. That being said, tonight I feel the need to stick up for this movie, Happy Feet. If you decided that the movie was not right for your children or belief system, good for you. But I'd like to offer what we found: songs/music by Prince, Elvis, Stevie Wonder, The Beach Boys, Gipsy Kings, Steve Miller Band, Queen, and the Beatles! We also found tap, mambo, hip hop, and jazz dance. If you don't enjoy these varied kinds of music and dancing in real life, you probably won't want your children exposed to it either. We also found plot similarities to Finding Nemo and The Lion King, where the young main character challenges the opinions and traditions of the elders/old guard/leaders of the group. If you don't want your children to learn to think for themselves, you might not want to see this movie. It's also great for a family discussion on how wonderful it is that everyone is good at different things. Another Nemo similarity is that Mumble is captured by humans and put in an aquarium. Again, a good talking point for families about real-life zoos and aquariums. We also found some scary chase scenes involving real-life animals that feed on penguins: skuas, leopard seals, and orcas. These were just as scary as Bruce the shark trying to eat Marlon and Dory, beware. We also found ethnic stereotypes that we'll definitely talk about later: Hispanic mambo-dancing penguins, an ethics-comprised African-American evangelical preacher, and an Irish-American colony leader. There were some plot lines that actually didn't make sense, like the visit to the evangelical preacher and the journey to an old human fishing town. These could have been completely cut from the movie. I also wish they had just used "humans" instead of "aliens," to describe people. My kid loves aliens, so it's just confusing. And so tonight, my 4.5 year-old tap-danced off to bed, and I'm humming Stevie Wonder. Thanks, Happy Feet!
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 24, 2012

CUTE, ADVENTUROUS, AND AMAZING!!!

When is eye-popping about this movie is the computer animation on the penguins and other animals. It looks so real! Besides that, I like the music, story, and characters of this movie! Robin Williams makes me chuckle in this movie! He's a funny actor! I haven't seen the second movie, but I heard that it was terrible! I guess I have to see it for myself!
Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2012

BM

PG For Language, And Some Scary Images
Parent Written bySweeTrav May 10, 2012

Wake up!

Not for kids. Very disappointed so many people approve of this dirty-dancing, sensationalist, and unrealistic portrayal of penguins. I think people need to more carefully evaluate media representation of reality.
Parent Written byDMIM May 7, 2012

I was not happy...

My children were 5 and 8 when they watched this movie on DVD. I was shocked by the sex in this movie. The penguins dance seductively to songs like "Kiss" by Prince or "I'll Make Love to You." I'd turn these songs off on the radio, but here they were in a movie geared for young children. There was even a scene where one of the penguins is talking about making an egg with a group of female penguins and they jump behind a rock and you can hear them giggling. It's incredibly inappropriate and not at all necessary. We'll never give Happy Feet II a chance.
Kid, 12 years old February 7, 2012

tommy's family friendly review

(in ten words or less) mild rude humor mild violence very corny not worth it
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bymfa January 18, 2012

Sexual references are not appropriate for children

Since when are the lyrics "I'll make love to you, if you want me to" acceptable for a children's movie??? I was appalled (and, frankly, disgusted) by the blatant sexual references. I made the mistake of using this website's mobile app to check the recommended age on this, which meant that I failed to look at other parents' comments. We definitely will not be seeing Happy Feet 2!
Adult Written byShann January 16, 2012

Great for all ages

Just watched this movie with a five year old who loved it. He wasn't scared by anything, but if you have a young child who's easily afraid there's one or two scenes to skip. It has a great storyline children can enjoy, with another dimension for adults. I picked up on a lot of religious and interracial themes which kids would miss, as well as the obvious environmental conservation theme. The animation is superb.
Parent Written byErohiel December 27, 2011

Blatant anti-theist propaganda

What most reviewers fail to notice is the blatant anti-theist propaganda in this movie. The penguins have a 'god', and the religious leaders who are often heard quoting a penguin version of the Christian bible are portrayed as bad-guys. Not only this, but the main character goes on a quest to prove that 'aliens' exist. In the end, all the penguins are happy only after renouncing their faith and admitting the existence of 'aliens'.
Kid, 12 years old December 26, 2011

an okay movie

This movie is cute, but will appeal more so to young kids than to tweens.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhomealonefan123 December 17, 2011

this movie is a must see for the whole family! even during the holidays.

this animated movie i highly recommend to kids ages 6-12. i love this penguin movie. but some scenes that may scare younger kids. and the penguins flirt with each other. but a must see for the whole family.
Kid, 8 years old November 16, 2011