All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Terrific but intense mix of love, friendship, fear, sorrow.

Adult Written bydaniel.nicholas... July 15, 2009

Clearly Should Be Rated PG-13.

I do not know why the MPAA found it fit to rate this movie PG, when it is parallel to Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. Parents, do not be fooled, this movie is very deserving of a PG-13 rating, but somehow did not end up with it. The opening scene, along with the ending ones (where somebody is killed) maybe be too intense for kids -- specifically the opening one, which involves the collapse of a bridge. This movie also focuses on who is dating who and relationships, where the others don't touch on it so much. There is some kissing and a double line about "doing" something with someone in one scene. Characters are also drunk around teenagers and teens appear to be drinking (wine, but that is still not acceptable). This is a much better movie than the others, stayed more faithful to the book (except for one scene...) and was still a good watch. Just be careful with the rating.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byMiss Cybele July 23, 2009

PG-13 not PG

Not too sure about the amount of drinking going on. Whether the drinks were alcoholic or not, the word "beer" occurs and thats enought to get the message across. I get that teenagers are practicing at being more adult through kissing... then the rating should be PG-13, so my eight year old doesn't need to watch young people doing what adults do. I would think strongly about taking children under 12... their minds should be somewhere else.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycoolbrees09 March 23, 2011

its not as bad as some people say. great movie, and great plot. love all of the movies.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheReviewerOfDoom April 26, 2010

Okay movie, extremely overrated

It was a decent movie, all in all. It followed the book (more or less) and has reasonable acting. The scene where Dumbledore and Potter are traversing the lake with the ghouls could be scary for younger children. Also, usually in movies like this, the bad guys eventually become better. Not in this. The antagonists in this movie are cruel, unchangeable, and definitely not poster children for kindness. If your kids want to see an exciting movie with great effects, but you don't want to expose them to something like "Clash of the Titans", this is a good choice.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytweeni January 8, 2010

Perfect for Eleven+

harry potter and the half blood prince, the sixth movie out of seven, contains mature content. There is a lot of kissing throughout the whole movie and one particularly scary scene for younger kids near the end (inferi). however, i love this movie! it's great for kids eleven and up. however, there isn't much action, so kids who love adventure may get bored.
Adult Written byjohnnydepp November 3, 2011

TOO MUCH LAVLAV AND WONWON

THERE WAS ENOUGH ADOLESCENT SNOGGING BETWEEN LAVLAV AND WONWON TO LAST ME AND MY 40 YEAR OLD UNMARRIED CHILD WHO LIVES IN MY BASEMENT A LIFETIME. BE AFRAID BECAUSE THERE IS ALSO TONS OF ADOLESCENT DATING AND HEAVY FLIRTING.......OMG
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag August 26, 2011

Surprisingly sad, this dark, but terrific book adaption gives the thrills.

The sixth movie features both funny and dark scenes. Also, the characters are in puberty now, which gives us both hilarious but also sad scenes. There are scary scenes including strange creatures crawling out of the water. A main character dies. Very, very sad. It is okay for children 8 and up, but should be watched with parental guidance.
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2011

Harry Potter and the Half-Blooded Prince 101

Harry Potter and the Half-Blooded Prince is an exciting Harry Potter movie! There are some violent scenes, but all-together it is a great movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byStayPositive March 5, 2011

I'm a big fan of the Harry Potter books and movies, but I just felt this one wasn't that good. Rupert Grint didn't play Ron was well as he did in the others, and Daniel Radcliffe's performance was also slightly lacking. Overall, an ok movie but not one that I'll see over and over again
Kid, 12 years old August 14, 2010

Best movie yet: comedy, love, action.... everything a movie need to be awesome. I don't agree with the following reveiwer. This movie is not inappropriate unless you're like five. Of course, there are jokes in there that only adults would understand, but it's not like its not a kid friendly movie.... ITS SUPPOSED TO BE. Not that Sinfoniarc adult doesn't have a right to his own opinion, but it's pretty appropriate for kids 5 and up.
Kid, 11 years old June 21, 2010

Teen, 15 years old Written byIsItgoodORnot June 5, 2010

I really hope they ACE the final one.

Half-blood prince seemed alot like a romantic comedy...And that isn't what it should be. This year it goes all downhill, some of your most favourite characters will die, and you will be left on that awkward cliff hanger, sulking your head.
Teen, 16 years old Written bytwinklestar4884 February 17, 2010

I absolutely loved this movie. Although parents of young children should be warned of the fighting scenes at the end which contain a few "jump moments" and minor blood. it also features a lot of teenage romance, but as i said, if your child is thirteen or older, they should be fine. The alchol use doesn't concern me ecxept for the bit with Hagrid and Slughorn. they seamed very drunk.
Kid, 10 years old January 12, 2010

Worse than the others.

I found the movie to be boring. It didn't have that effect that you get when you watch the others. One dissapointing part is that I don't see Harry's scar. I just think this movie is drifting off. I hope the next one is better.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn October 8, 2009

Kid, 12 years old August 6, 2009

Why Wasn't This PG-13?

this was one of the best potter films yet! there is a lot more kissing in this one though. I thought the violence was strong for a PG movie, but its all to do with spells. fantasy stuff. this one was also pretty creepy. a HIGH PG movie. think twice before brining your 7 year old.
Kid, 11 years old July 31, 2009

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST HP MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!there is one parrt where harry touches the water in the cave and inferi(zombies)jumps out so that might scare younger kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymuffin.WOman July 19, 2009

AMAZING!!! but for a more mature audience

this movie was amazing!!! but could be extremely upsetting for kids under 12. in one part a character has a kind of seizure thing-which in itself is scary- and rises into the air and screams. its really scary. and towards the end creepy skeletal dead creatures emerge from a dark lake, lots of them. and a beloved character pleads for mercy while drinking a substance that seems to be killing him. and at the very end a beloved character is killed by a person he trusted. throughout the movie there is a lot of kissing, all involving teens. but thats not too bad. all in all, its an amazing movie, but could be scary and inappropriate for kids under the age of 12.
Adult Written bya030976 July 18, 2009

Great movie for tweens and teens.

I saw this with my 10 year old (huge fan of the books and the movies) and we had a great time. The flirting was cute/funny and I thought it was great that Harry and Hermione were so supportive of each other in their love triangles. There were only a few scary parts, not nearly as many as there could have been, given the content of the book. I thought Spiderwick was a much scarier movie with all the monster attacking/chasing kid scenes. I also thought the movie illustrated how important it is to keep striving toward your goal.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 13 year old Written bybeckyhall July 17, 2009

Fantastic message, pretty good movie

I took all 3 of my kids to see this. We had listened to the book on CD, and my oldest has read it, so we knew what was coming. Having read the book, I was surprised at the PG rating. However, much of the violence in the book is left out of the film, so I can almost justify the PG. There are scary parts, though, and if you have sensitive kids, they will be afraid even if they know the plot. My 6 year old loved it, but she is fearless. My 10 year old is a sensitive guy, but he loves the series and really enjoyed the film. My 13 year old saw it twice in two days, and I am envious! We have talked a great deal about the good vs evil theme of the series. The final two films will be emotionally intense and somewhat violent. But isn't fighting evil intense and sometimes violent? The good guys are winning, but it isn't easy, and that's the lesson.