All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Terrific but intense mix of love, friendship, fear, sorrow.

Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byMiss Cybele July 23, 2009

PG-13 not PG

Not too sure about the amount of drinking going on. Whether the drinks were alcoholic or not, the word "beer" occurs and thats enought to get the message across. I get that teenagers are practicing at being more adult through kissing... then the rating should be PG-13, so my eight year old doesn't need to watch young people doing what adults do. I would think strongly about taking children under 12... their minds should be somewhere else.
Adult Written bydaniel.nicholas... July 15, 2009

Clearly Should Be Rated PG-13.

I do not know why the MPAA found it fit to rate this movie PG, when it is parallel to Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. Parents, do not be fooled, this movie is very deserving of a PG-13 rating, but somehow did not end up with it. The opening scene, along with the ending ones (where somebody is killed) maybe be too intense for kids -- specifically the opening one, which involves the collapse of a bridge. This movie also focuses on who is dating who and relationships, where the others don't touch on it so much. There is some kissing and a double line about "doing" something with someone in one scene. Characters are also drunk around teenagers and teens appear to be drinking (wine, but that is still not acceptable). This is a much better movie than the others, stayed more faithful to the book (except for one scene...) and was still a good watch. Just be careful with the rating.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheReviewerOfDoom April 26, 2010

Okay movie, extremely overrated

It was a decent movie, all in all. It followed the book (more or less) and has reasonable acting. The scene where Dumbledore and Potter are traversing the lake with the ghouls could be scary for younger children. Also, usually in movies like this, the bad guys eventually become better. Not in this. The antagonists in this movie are cruel, unchangeable, and definitely not poster children for kindness. If your kids want to see an exciting movie with great effects, but you don't want to expose them to something like "Clash of the Titans", this is a good choice.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOldBob13 April 19, 2010

Sixth Harry Potter installment excells in effects, falls flat on storyline

Whether you love them or hate them, the Harry Potter books and movies have become a part of today's culture. The latest installment to the Potter series, The Half-Blood Prince, excells in visual effects, script, and even offers a few laughs. But it falls face-flat on storyline and plotting. There are quite a bit of plot holes, random sub-plots, and problems with pacing. So this will probably disappoint newbies. Diehards will love it though, and I highly recommend it to them only. Content issues are noticable. Scary scenes, drug use, making out (snogging) and blood make up this installment. My little sister, who is 10, was scared at a scene with zombies, so this is best reserved for older preteens and up, depending on your family. One more grumble: Witchcraft never exactly shows up in the Half-Blood Prince, but the fact that there are "good witches" in the Potter films make me a bit uneasy. If you are an adult with children, make sure to talk to your kids about what witches are really like.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bykec July 15, 2009

Should be PG-13

Good movie but definitely deserved a PG-13 rating. Numerous violent and scary parts.
Adult Written byaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... June 27, 2009

so bad
Adult Written bynathanpark July 14, 2009

Not a review but an Warning for parents out there with kids ages 6-11 This movie is not for that audience

i belive that this film has gone darker than the previous, Ever since the 4th film its been going dark and dark and this film should not deserve a PG Rating. You need to know your kids, When i steped into a theatre once in a PG13 Movie i saw too many kids, Parents you are falling for the wrong things and not taking reviews seriously, this movie is not a ovie you would want to take your 10 year olds to, This is a dark PG, on the border of PG/Pg13, in britan it is 12a (Same thing as PG13 Here) Our MPAA did not do this rate this right. Later kids will get night mares and it is too scary, the inferi,Dumbledores death, Tom riddles horid past, Destruction of the borrow and ECT before you watch it i suggest you know your kids and know the movie. This is sad.
Parent of a 10 and 16 year old Written bysuzy.cook July 21, 2009

Another great installment in the epic drama of Harry Potter

Perfect for kids 10 and up. I think there wasn't really anything scary until the skeletons in the lake near the end of the movie. If you read the book, it was expected and not that shocking. I can't wait for the next two movies.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBishopberry August 15, 2010

Best Movie in the Series So Far

I think this is the best Harry Potter movie yet. I am dedicated to the books and I was extremely disappointed with "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix". This movie lived up to my expectations and then some. I love the scene when Harry, Ron, and Hermione enter Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. It's truly magical. This movie is a must see. There is some violence, but nothing to be concerned about. It stays true to the book plot and only adds to your suspense if you haven't read the novels. SEE THIS MOVIE :)
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bycasandreas July 17, 2009

PG rating is spot on.

I am still digesting the movie after having seen it only hours ago, but I thinki the PG rating is spot on. I don't feel the "snogging" was anything to worry about as you the camera doesn't really stay on the scene long. The one close up kiss was short and sweet. As for the violence, most is suggestive and also brief or the camera cuts away quickly. I think though for content I would recommend reading the book which is the best possible way experience the magical world. There is just so much that can't be condensed into 2 1/2 hours.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytweeni January 8, 2010

Perfect for Eleven+

harry potter and the half blood prince, the sixth movie out of seven, contains mature content. There is a lot of kissing throughout the whole movie and one particularly scary scene for younger kids near the end (inferi). however, i love this movie! it's great for kids eleven and up. however, there isn't much action, so kids who love adventure may get bored.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycoolbrees09 March 23, 2011

its not as bad as some people say. great movie, and great plot. love all of the movies.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover1996 April 4, 2010

this is a great movie, i liked it the best in all of the movies, i thought that it was an amazing mix of love and action, a must see for all harry potter fans
Parent of an infant, 11, and 13 year old Written bymamaof3 July 16, 2009

O M G this movie was A M A Z I N G!!! It was the BEST Harry Potter movie yet!!! With the exception of Narcissa Malfoy and Tonks, the actors are perfect and exactly as you would picture them in the book, and the special effects were phenomenal! There was only one thing that freaked me out a little: Katie Bell getting Cursed by the Dark necklace was a bit frightening even for a thirteen year-old. Other than that, it was a fantastic magical adventure that I want to watch again and again!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bywritergirl8 July 8, 2010

I am completely and totally obsessed with Harry Potter, so this review may be a bit bias but... I LOVED IT! If you haven't seen HBP yet, you definitely should. While there is a bit of drinking, it's not a huge deal and barely prominent except for in one scene. Harry, Ron and Hermione drink butterbeer, but butterbeer contains very little alcohol (as said in book four) and so it's not a big deal. Drinking is only prominent in one scene, when a major character is poisoned. Ron is often caught staring at Hermione's lips (laughs gleefully) and there is a lot of flirting between the two, but then Ron snogs another character, leaving a heartbroken Hermione (played excellently by Emma Watson, who is really at her best in this movie) to sob with Harry, who is also pining over his crush. It is a very, very sad scene (or at least it was for me, because I am in love with the idea of Ron and Hermione) and made me a little misty, so it might upset younger children, who will not understand exactly what is going on, but will be upset that the female lead is crying. Also, there is a blood curling scream that comes out of nowhere, which can be a shock to people who have not read the books and didn't know what was coming. During a very dark scene, extras are shown in a corridor making out and smoking something. Two major characters (NOT teens) get very drunk, one to the point of passing out, but it is done comediclly.Kids might be frightened by a giant, dead spider. Teens start relationships, flirt, end relationships, cry over relationships- overall, HBP is more sexually charged then the other Harry Potter movies, which is wonderful for adult and teen viewers such as myself, my mom, and my grandmother, but not so much for the younger kids. As for violence, well, there's a disgustingly bloody scene, but the character is Healed. The worst part is when disgusting skeletal creatures kind of attempt to kill Harry... it's pretty gross, definitely something I'd have my kid close its eyes for if I had one. Another unsettling part of the movie would be when a huge character dies. It is drawn out and very, very sad. All of the characters cry and are devastated. However, this is nothing compared to what I presume will happen in the seventh movie, because in the seventh book characters start dropping like flies. So, all in all, bring your older tweens, but keep seven year olds away from your TV and use your own judgment on your eight year olds. It's definitely fine for 9, unless you don't want your nine year old to see a lot of kissing and teen relationships.
Adult Written bya030976 July 18, 2009

Great movie for tweens and teens.

I saw this with my 10 year old (huge fan of the books and the movies) and we had a great time. The flirting was cute/funny and I thought it was great that Harry and Hermione were so supportive of each other in their love triangles. There were only a few scary parts, not nearly as many as there could have been, given the content of the book. I thought Spiderwick was a much scarier movie with all the monster attacking/chasing kid scenes. I also thought the movie illustrated how important it is to keep striving toward your goal.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byBlueJade July 16, 2009

This is the funniest HP movie yet -- most of the humor is about the awkwardness of young love. Other laughs emerge as the 3 main characters realize that their problems keep reoccurring. It's the nervous laughs of inevitabililty. I saw this movie with three 10-year-old Harry Potter fans. They haven't finished the series yet, but they have seen all the previous movies and read some of the books. We liked it. This was not as violent as some other films rated PG -- including The Lion, The Witch & the Wardrobe (battle scenes and gruesome killing of Aslan are much worse), Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (gory battles), City of Embers (much darker) or the PG-13 Golden Compass (rather weird & violent) and Pirates/Caribbean 3. The violence includes: Harry's bloody nose, Draco bloody after Harry nearly kills him in fear, and the death of a major character at the end. True, the Death Eaters and Bellatrix can be scary, but we didn't think they were as scary as the last movie. Bellatrix (played by Helen Bonham Carter) was so over the top she came off silly and childish (slightly amusing, too). Toward the end, the weird, gaunt bodies that try to grab Harry in the water in the underground cave are rather terrifying. They scared the kids the most. (I thought they looked like a contorted old Led Zepplin album cover.) You can close your eyes during that part and not miss the plot. The violence will seem more dramatic on the big screen, rather than on a DVD via TV. On a TV screen, this HP will seem tame compared to the previous 2 movies. Draco has interesting moral choices in the film. His actions could lead to good discussions about what he chose. You could also have positive discussions about young romance problems and girl/boy friendships. I like the way the 3 friends want to work together to help Harry. Ron's sister, Ginny, is becoming a good fourth friend. Good conversations could happen later about how siblings interact in this film, too. This film doesn't follow the book quite as closely as earlier movies. You may need to brush up on characters (such as Luna, Draco, Snape, Bellatrix) beforehand to better understand their personalities and motives. Like earlier films, this one has imaginative sets and the Quidditch scenes just keep getting better. This film is also not as grand in scope earlier ones. I think even 8 year olds that know that story (perhaps thru older siblings) and have seen similar types of films will have a good time. Go with your kids, even teen-agers, so you can have interesting conversations with them afterwards.
Kid, 12 years old August 14, 2010

Best movie yet: comedy, love, action.... everything a movie need to be awesome. I don't agree with the following reveiwer. This movie is not inappropriate unless you're like five. Of course, there are jokes in there that only adults would understand, but it's not like its not a kid friendly movie.... ITS SUPPOSED TO BE. Not that Sinfoniarc adult doesn't have a right to his own opinion, but it's pretty appropriate for kids 5 and up.
Adult Written byGlittermommy July 9, 2009

I'm just wondering why HP 6 is given the same rating as Disney's Up. It doesn't make sense. Up should have been rated G if they are making HP 6 PG.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bymickeym_k July 17, 2009

Should have been PG-13. (Some Spoilers)

I took my 13 yr old son to see this movie. We both really liked it. The chaste kissing by the kids was no big deal. The reason I think that this movie should be PG-13 is the violence. There are some scary parts. Dead people hiding underwater drag Harry down, but he is saved by Dumbledore. Harry is forced to feed Dumbledore a cursed potion, though Dumbledore begs him to stop. A couple of Wizard homes are burned. And a major character doesn't just die, this is murder. I also disagree that just because a child has read the book, they can handle the movie. What a child imagines is much different then watching what adult movie makers conjure up and is shown on a screen 30-80 ft. tall with sound coming at you from all directions.