All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Terrific but intense mix of love, friendship, fear, sorrow.

Adult Written bydaniel.nicholas... July 15, 2009

Clearly Should Be Rated PG-13.

I do not know why the MPAA found it fit to rate this movie PG, when it is parallel to Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. Parents, do not be fooled, this movie is very deserving of a PG-13 rating, but somehow did not end up with it. The opening scene, along with the ending ones (where somebody is killed) maybe be too intense for kids -- specifically the opening one, which involves the collapse of a bridge. This movie also focuses on who is dating who and relationships, where the others don't touch on it so much. There is some kissing and a double line about "doing" something with someone in one scene. Characters are also drunk around teenagers and teens appear to be drinking (wine, but that is still not acceptable). This is a much better movie than the others, stayed more faithful to the book (except for one scene...) and was still a good watch. Just be careful with the rating.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byreddog23 July 21, 2009

Poor adaptation but a must see for Potter fans! Not too scary!

Sorry, this was the worse book to movie adaptation of the series. SOOOOOO much was left out! Many things that the last movies will need to be on target. If you have not read the book - please read it. The title itself was so lamely explained by Snape as "I am the Half-Blood Prince". No background on Snape as a young man at Hogwarts and what has led him to this point in time. It was edited poorly! Too much time spent snogging and not enough battling. The grand fight at the end and Dumbledore's funeral was left out completely. The way D died was not accurately done though I thought they did a great job of showing that Dumbledore believed that Draco was worth saving. The scene in the sea cave with the skeletal mob was a little scary for under 10 but if they have read the books it was scarier in print. Belletrix is just scary but no scarier than any Disney witch. The scene of Katie Bell rising in the air and being possessed was the most frightening scene. In summary the PG rating was boderline but I thought it was appropriate. Parents as always have to judge if they think it would frighten their children. I have a 9 and 12 year old and they were fine. I do hope they get another Director for the last 2 films. This one was very poorly done! We love these characters and we will be there til the end!
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byMiss Cybele July 23, 2009

PG-13 not PG

Not too sure about the amount of drinking going on. Whether the drinks were alcoholic or not, the word "beer" occurs and thats enought to get the message across. I get that teenagers are practicing at being more adult through kissing... then the rating should be PG-13, so my eight year old doesn't need to watch young people doing what adults do. I would think strongly about taking children under 12... their minds should be somewhere else.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 13 year old Written bybeckyhall July 17, 2009

Fantastic message, pretty good movie

I took all 3 of my kids to see this. We had listened to the book on CD, and my oldest has read it, so we knew what was coming. Having read the book, I was surprised at the PG rating. However, much of the violence in the book is left out of the film, so I can almost justify the PG. There are scary parts, though, and if you have sensitive kids, they will be afraid even if they know the plot. My 6 year old loved it, but she is fearless. My 10 year old is a sensitive guy, but he loves the series and really enjoyed the film. My 13 year old saw it twice in two days, and I am envious! We have talked a great deal about the good vs evil theme of the series. The final two films will be emotionally intense and somewhat violent. But isn't fighting evil intense and sometimes violent? The good guys are winning, but it isn't easy, and that's the lesson.
Kid, 11 years old June 27, 2015

I find it the best Potter in the entire series, but a very upsetting death.

This film is technically okay for ages ten and up if it wasn't for a poisoned drink, a curse and a seriously sad death of a key character, killed by a supposing friend. Flashbacks make this story dark and gloomy, but also the perfect recipe of romance and humour. A house is set on fire. Hermionie is upset when Ron continuously makes out with another girl. Super-scary water creatures try to drown Harry while Dumbledore is too stunned on a magic potion to help. Draco turns to the dark side and is hurt and shown very bloody on the bathroom floor by a spell Harry cast. Ron is poisoned and starts foaming in the mouth. Very intense, and deserves a PG-13 rating. Bloody hell, damn it. 11+.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycoolbrees09 March 23, 2011
its not as bad as some people say. great movie, and great plot. love all of the movies.
Kid, 12 years old August 6, 2009

Why Wasn't This PG-13?

this was one of the best potter films yet! there is a lot more kissing in this one though. I thought the violence was strong for a PG movie, but its all to do with spells. fantasy stuff. this one was also pretty creepy. a HIGH PG movie. think twice before brining your 7 year old.
Kid, 11 years old April 9, 2016

nothing like the book

in the whole movie there is only one part that may scare people is when harry and dumbledore are in the cave some really freaky looking people more like skeletons pop out of the water during that part I did jump and was a bit scared. People say you don't see voldermort but you actually do for .1 of a second you just see him pull a funny face but you have to look really closely so it wasn't that bad but to watch it you will have needed to have seen all the movies before it but not for young children.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheReviewerOfDoom April 26, 2010

Okay movie, extremely overrated

It was a decent movie, all in all. It followed the book (more or less) and has reasonable acting. The scene where Dumbledore and Potter are traversing the lake with the ghouls could be scary for younger children. Also, usually in movies like this, the bad guys eventually become better. Not in this. The antagonists in this movie are cruel, unchangeable, and definitely not poster children for kindness. If your kids want to see an exciting movie with great effects, but you don't want to expose them to something like "Clash of the Titans", this is a good choice.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytweeni January 8, 2010

Perfect for Eleven+

harry potter and the half blood prince, the sixth movie out of seven, contains mature content. There is a lot of kissing throughout the whole movie and one particularly scary scene for younger kids near the end (inferi). however, i love this movie! it's great for kids eleven and up. however, there isn't much action, so kids who love adventure may get bored.
Adult Written bya030976 July 18, 2009

Great movie for tweens and teens.

I saw this with my 10 year old (huge fan of the books and the movies) and we had a great time. The flirting was cute/funny and I thought it was great that Harry and Hermione were so supportive of each other in their love triangles. There were only a few scary parts, not nearly as many as there could have been, given the content of the book. I thought Spiderwick was a much scarier movie with all the monster attacking/chasing kid scenes. I also thought the movie illustrated how important it is to keep striving toward your goal.
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo April 5, 2015

Good, but scary for PG.

This movie is good. But, it's a little scary for PG. Why? One character gets all cut up by the Sectumsempra curse. A main character is poisoned and almost dies. And, a lead is killed by someone he trusted (whom he recently promoted). Of course, there are funny moments. Such as, one character is touching something on the mantel piece, and the other (who doesn't like her) says without moving his lips, "put it down, Bella. We mustn't touch what isn't ours," and she puts it down with a face. All in all, this is a good movie. P.S: It's not sexy at all! Except a kiss.
Teen, 16 years old Written bytwinklestar4884 February 17, 2010
I absolutely loved this movie. Although parents of young children should be warned of the fighting scenes at the end which contain a few "jump moments" and minor blood. it also features a lot of teenage romance, but as i said, if your child is thirteen or older, they should be fine. The alchol use doesn't concern me ecxept for the bit with Hagrid and Slughorn. they seamed very drunk.
Adult Written byjohnnydepp November 3, 2011

TOO MUCH LAVLAV AND WONWON

THERE WAS ENOUGH ADOLESCENT SNOGGING BETWEEN LAVLAV AND WONWON TO LAST ME AND MY 40 YEAR OLD UNMARRIED CHILD WHO LIVES IN MY BASEMENT A LIFETIME. BE AFRAID BECAUSE THERE IS ALSO TONS OF ADOLESCENT DATING AND HEAVY FLIRTING.......OMG
Teen, 15 years old Written byIsItgoodORnot June 5, 2010

I really hope they ACE the final one.

Half-blood prince seemed alot like a romantic comedy...And that isn't what it should be. This year it goes all downhill, some of your most favourite characters will die, and you will be left on that awkward cliff hanger, sulking your head.
Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2014

Sixth in series doesn't disappoint - although some things might not stick to book, not that I've read it

Epicboy21, yet again, and I will say this much about the film: this MUST, this should've been PG-13. I DO NOT KNOW why this is rated PG. Before my reasons, the story: Harry is in his sixth year and the Death Eaters are still out there to hunt him. And Ron and Hermione are still in the mix. First of all, there's a drop of blood dripping from the ceiling. (OK, that's PG, but there's worse.) Second of all, a little bit of realistic violence - the central bully kicks the titular character to the ground, beats him up and stomps on his nose, thus breaking it, and making it bleed. Third of all, fantasy violence nonetheless, a girl is hung up in mid-air and tortured, in pain, plus fourth of all, the most gruesome fantasy violence: zombies being blasted away and a bully having a spell called "Serpensortia!" used on him. This blasts him away, and if that isn't enough to scare you, then the next visual is: blood smothered all over his clothing. His legs, his face, his abdomen, his chest and his arms are absolutely covered in it. Tons of blood. Oh, and people catching on fire. One major death may upset viewers as he is an important character. (I'm not going to reveal here.) Also, there's blasting. And the first thing yelled in the WB logo is that weird girl Bellatrix LeStrange's saying: "I KILLED SIRIUS BLACK!" (Come on, I knew you've seen the first five anyway. At least, if you're reading this.) Luckily for you, the sexual content is calmer. The only thing I remember is a kiss. Language probably includes "d*mn" and Ron's saying "bl**dy h*ll". Anyway, it was quite good. Consumerism is also that it's based on a franchise. (But why does that matter?) Thankyou for reading.
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag August 26, 2011

Surprisingly sad, this dark, but terrific book adaption gives the thrills.

The sixth movie features both funny and dark scenes. Also, the characters are in puberty now, which gives us both hilarious but also sad scenes. There are scary scenes including strange creatures crawling out of the water. A main character dies. Very, very sad. It is okay for children 8 and up, but should be watched with parental guidance.
Parent Written byhannab January 2, 2012

best one yet

absolutley amazing film. emotional, gripping, thrilling and occasionally quite funny. kids under 9 will be rather shockked at the death and there are a lot of jump scenes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T January 4, 2015

The worst of the series...in my opinion.

Sandie Chen was definitely right--this is no PG movie. Harry fights the school bully, eventually shooting a sword out of his wand which hits his opponent in the chest. Harry is also attacked by Inferi, a zombie-like group of creatures. Snape also murders Dumbledore, and it's brutal.
Adult Written byHarry Potter 1 June 8, 2013

Harry Potter grows up brillantly!

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is a fantastically well done and richly satisfying movie. Here,we see the darkest and most mature Harry Potter movie of the 1st 6 by far. The charm and innocence of Sorcerer's Stone that so defined Sorcerer's Stone is completely gone now. Harry is growing up and preparing himself to take on his greatest challenges yet. As those who have read the book know,Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince really has 2 important storylines to it. On one hand,Half Blood Prince is a backstory story where we learn more about Voldemort's past. At the same time,Half Blood Prince is also a setup story as the events that occur in Half Blood Prince in real time are setting up the events of Deathly Hallows. The film does a brilliant job of bringing those things to life. I was especially happy with the depiction of the day Dumbledore first met the young Tom riddle. That was a scene the filmmakers nailed. I was also very pleased with the way the circumstances of the Half Blood Prince's book were handled,both in terms of that 1st Potions lessons and in the scene where Harry is forced to get rid of it.Then the acting was superb. Daniel,Rupert,Emma,and Alan have mastered their characters by this movie. And Michael Gambon gives his best performance as Dumbledore in this movie,particularly in the many scenes in which he and Harry are alone together, Finally,I was immensely satisfied with the climax. Apart from the presentation of the events themselves,the emotional aspects of the climax hit the heart for me. Even after many viewings,I get teary eyed when Dumbledore dies and when the students are all raising their wands in tribute to him. This is a very poignant time for Hogwarts. In this movie,Dumbledore is preparing Harry for what lies ahead as events culminate in the climax that sets up the major war in Deathly Hallows. My only criticisms are that they should have included the memory where that witch shows Voldemort the Cup and Locket so they,as Horcruxes that become important in Deathly Hallows, would be properly introduced in this movie. That memory should have been in the movie instead of the Ron-Lavender and Dean-Ginny stuff,which should have been cut from the movie (and the book) because it added NOTHING to the plot. A few cases mild language,but nothing to worry about. While Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is a GREAT movie,it is for high schoolers and older only. This movie includes a scene of chaos as a bridge collapses,drinking scenes,including 1 in which Hagrid and Slughorn get pretty drunk,,a girl touching a cursed necklace,scenes of the burrow burning,a boy being poisoned,Hagrid's hut burning,and an EXTREMELY sad and emotional death. This movie is for high schoolers and older only. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is a deeply rewarding movie that MUST get 5 stars.