All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Terrific but intense mix of love, friendship, fear, sorrow.

Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe July 7, 2013

Even though there's darkness in this, there's a pretty fair bit for a PG movie

Really good; it's an iffy choice for the wee ones. There's a REALLY sad death: Professor Albus Dumbledore. One scene that surprised me was when I found out Harry is now a Quittich captain and Ron learning how to play.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheTrillonaire July 5, 2013

good

Definitely PG-13
Adult Written byHarry Potter 1 June 8, 2013

Harry Potter grows up brillantly!

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is a fantastically well done and richly satisfying movie. Here,we see the darkest and most mature Harry Potter movie of the 1st 6 by far. The charm and innocence of Sorcerer's Stone that so defined Sorcerer's Stone is completely gone now. Harry is growing up and preparing himself to take on his greatest challenges yet. As those who have read the book know,Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince really has 2 important storylines to it. On one hand,Half Blood Prince is a backstory story where we learn more about Voldemort's past. At the same time,Half Blood Prince is also a setup story as the events that occur in Half Blood Prince in real time are setting up the events of Deathly Hallows. The film does a brilliant job of bringing those things to life. I was especially happy with the depiction of the day Dumbledore first met the young Tom riddle. That was a scene the filmmakers nailed. I was also very pleased with the way the circumstances of the Half Blood Prince's book were handled,both in terms of that 1st Potions lessons and in the scene where Harry is forced to get rid of it.Then the acting was superb. Daniel,Rupert,Emma,and Alan have mastered their characters by this movie. And Michael Gambon gives his best performance as Dumbledore in this movie,particularly in the many scenes in which he and Harry are alone together, Finally,I was immensely satisfied with the climax. Apart from the presentation of the events themselves,the emotional aspects of the climax hit the heart for me. Even after many viewings,I get teary eyed when Dumbledore dies and when the students are all raising their wands in tribute to him. This is a very poignant time for Hogwarts. In this movie,Dumbledore is preparing Harry for what lies ahead as events culminate in the climax that sets up the major war in Deathly Hallows. My only criticisms are that they should have included the memory where that witch shows Voldemort the Cup and Locket so they,as Horcruxes that become important in Deathly Hallows, would be properly introduced in this movie. That memory should have been in the movie instead of the Ron-Lavender and Dean-Ginny stuff,which should have been cut from the movie (and the book) because it added NOTHING to the plot. A few cases mild language,but nothing to worry about. While Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is a GREAT movie,it is for high schoolers and older only. This movie includes a scene of chaos as a bridge collapses,drinking scenes,including 1 in which Hagrid and Slughorn get pretty drunk,,a girl touching a cursed necklace,scenes of the burrow burning,a boy being poisoned,Hagrid's hut burning,and an EXTREMELY sad and emotional death. This movie is for high schoolers and older only. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is a deeply rewarding movie that MUST get 5 stars.
Written byAnonymous June 2, 2013

Dark and strange

Great movie not as good but still enjoyable. A shock and intense upsetting scene that might be too much for young kids.
Educator and Parent of a 6, 7, 10, and 10 year old Written byPatzeheheh May 11, 2013

Boring, repetitive, but stunning picture.

Overall, this movie wasn't that bad, nor was it the best movie ever made, I actually thought the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ones were fine, until I noticed that they got darkier and more intense. This movie is actually very long, my daughter slept and we had to skip some parts because we didn't want to watch all of it. There is lots of "snogging" and kissing. Use of some alcohol in some places that look like bars. There is a lot of violence and gory characters, One example is Harry fights with very skinny and bony zombies and there is loud explosions. The master does die and a kid throws up in the train because he's drunk. Lots of drunk people, the red head also says "bloody hell" This deserves to be a PG-13. The good side is that they are still positive role models and they didn't replace most actors, there is good screening and it's very well animated. The magic seems so realistic and the emotions are very believable, their accents as well. It's a high-budget, but Harry Potter fans would love it better than I do.
Kid, 11 years old May 8, 2013

Really Boring- Fails to Capture Excitement

The worst of the Harry Potter movies- and that is pretty terrible. I watched this at a friend's sleepover party and I thought it was awful. The movie is boring and simply repeating things word for word. Slughorn looks nothing like himself and even the scene where Harry and Ginny snog for the 1st time is SUPER boring. Unless u hav read the 6th Harry Potter book like I hav, I wouldn't bother.
Kid, 11 years old February 16, 2013

HP and the Half-Blood Prince.

This is a great movie. Of course, there is typical Ron swearing and Hermione calls a girl a "Dimbo". Also some kissing and romance, and jealousy. One upsetting death of a main character that I cried at. A fantastic movie, reccomended for ages 10 and up.
Parent Written byShugocharafan88 January 7, 2013

I heard this from a friend but he said that Hurricane Irene is coming tommorrow... is it true???? SOMEBODY TELL ME I DON'T WANNA DIE

They are the funniest cooking gurus ever! they are from Japan and they teach you how to cook lots of different things. Here's one on how to make bentos (Japanese boxed lunch) Here's one on how to make dangos (sweet dumplings) and here's one on how to make a super yummy looking cake. Hope you like!
Kid, 8 years old December 31, 2012

Awesome Movie!!!!

Fast forward some parts like when Bellatrix shows up. Great movie! One of the best Harry Potter
Kid, 10 years old November 23, 2012

It should be PG13

This is honestly a great movie! But may you know there are some scenes in this movie that are more PG13 than PG. There's is a little minor sexual scene but nothing bad is shown like breast, of privates.
Kid, 9 years old October 30, 2012

GREAT!

This movie is great! there is almost no flaws at all. (Potential Spoiler Alert) It is very scary: Dumblodore's Death,Skeleton like creatures,Bellatrix.
Kid, 9 years old October 28, 2012

love it

good but scary and.violent
Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2012

Great film, for the whole family. Why are others claiming otherwise?

I think everyone elses reviews are completely over-the-top. I have watched this film numerous times without any fear at all. However, it does include a little action with the spells, and in one scene Harry used a spell on Draco causing him to bleed a little, but it isnt disturbing at all really. Alot of people will probably ignore my review "Because im a child". I'm not basing this on my opinion only, but I am basing it on a few households of which I have been acknowledged from. Plus my younger brothers (4, 6, 7) have all watched this and have found it fine. Thanks for taking the time to read my review.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySB-12 September 10, 2012

Harry Potter 6

MEGA great year 6
Teen, 14 years old Written bykangaroogi6 August 18, 2012

Took all the emotion OUT

This movie was a HUGE disappointment for me. I saw the previews and they looked really good, but what the previews did was take all the best parts and collage them together into somethign that LOOKED like it would be a good movie to follow the book. When I heard the movie was rated only PG, I was shocked because I thought based on the book it should be PG-13. But when I saw the movie I realized why. It takes all the emotion, action, and everything that makes the book good out of the movie. For some reason only known to the screenwriters, they added the Weasley's house getting blown up "to add more action". But they would've had more action if they had kept the battle at the end instead of having Harry and Snape just walk through the castle. In addition, the Harry/Ginny relationship is done SO badly, making it seem more like Ginny is the one interested in Harry, when in the book it's the opposite. Most of the scenes are really short and choppy, and some seem like they were added in at random spots where they really didn't belong (like the 2-second clip when Ginny says "Take my hand") So it seems like it could have been a really good movie if they'd chosen to make it that way, but they didn't. It said it was emotional but they took all the emotion OUT of it. Oh, and one more thing--I think they changed the coloring to make the entire movie greenish-blue.
Kid, 12 years old June 27, 2012

Harry Potter Lover

Yes this Harry Potter is one of the darkest yet. You must look into Voldemorts past in the movie and find out why he is so dark. Harry and Dumboldor go on a life threatening mission that keeps you on the edge of your seat and may also scare some kids. This movie is great and suspenseful! ( Also you must see it or hear about the end to understand any of the new movies)
Kid, 9 years old June 24, 2012

HARRY POTTER 6

Third to last HP is great and exciting
Teen, 13 years old Written byI like family guy June 16, 2012

Harry Potter review

Teen, 13 years old Written byMike the LEGO Dude May 5, 2012

Another Enjoyable Harry Potter Movie!

My MPAA Rating: PG-13 for Fantasy Violence and Scary Images
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 April 6, 2012

another Potter movie, another time to save your cash

like all the other Potter movies, this film stunk. its got no action, no story, and no good special effects, even if the filmmakers new what "special effects" were. its a boring, dull, fail of a "film"