All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Riveting fifth movie finds Harry angry, brooding.

Parent Written byLindaChek December 18, 2012

If you know what they like and what they will react badly to, there's no reason not to watch.

My son is nearly seven and has been asking for quite some time to see this movie. He has seen the first four and so far we have not found anything in any of them that has frightened him or caused him to be upset--he had a really hard time with "Marley and Me" when they put her to sleep at the end, but magical fiction doesn't scare him at all. I think it really depends on your child and what kind of things upset or frighten them. My son doesn't have any negative reaction to magical battles or fictional characters in jeopardy; many little boys really dig that kind of stuff, and he find it imaginative rather than threatening. I think if you know your child and what kinds of things scare them (if any--so far my kid is fearless!) and if your child has read or listened to the books and is prepared for the events that play out, there is no reason not to let them watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydrblue91 June 13, 2011

Harry Potter is AWESOME! Parents lay back!

I loved the movie!! I love the 5th book and movie so much! There is so much enpowernment and you feel all "ah-ha I told you so!" when the ministry finds out Voldemort really has returned. I don't understand how parents get soo concerned. I mean one there's not that much bad content (okay a kis, but really its not that bad!). Are your kids gonna run into a dementor while shopping no? Where are your kids gonna get a firewhisky? I mean really people think about it. Worst gets worst, your kids could run away on a broomstick or be picked up by the Knight Bus.
Kid, 6 years old May 1, 2015

Fifth Year

It gets really scary, and there's a death of a loved character. Harry trains some of his friends to fight, which is cool.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypurple_panther July 4, 2009

there's no drinking, smoking or drugs in this!!

People on here are so over sensitive ya know?? 100% of parents think there is too much smoking drinking and drugs?? there is none of that stuff!! they just don't like it cuz there's magic in it :( soooo pathetic (not the movie)
Adult Written byOKC Mum April 9, 2008

Dark, but in a good way

As a mum, I must say that Harry's growing up, and the progressively darker nature of each film reflects this. My 11-year-old loved it, and the 6-year-old twins were told in advance that there were bits that might be scary. The key is just knowing your child and being able to discuss any issues afterward in a way that addresses them. As an HP fan, I think it was as faithful to the book as it could have been for its length; it might help to read the series first so as not to miss out on what the writers seem to take for granted that you'll know.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymerlinforever May 6, 2011

great movie

this movie is great i own it. but i wouldent reccomend it for kids 12 and under because of the scary images.
Kid, 10 years old April 24, 2015

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I have watched every Harry Potter movie, and this is one of my favorites. I recommend watching with a parent or older sibling because some parts are scary. Definitely watch this movie. You will enjoy it more if you are nine or older!
Parent Written bythepedens April 9, 2008

good dark, brooding harry

Although Harry has some true integrity and always winds up doing the right thing, this installment is much darker than past movies. Maybe it has to do with the age that is being depicted here--the teen years, fitting in, finding out who you are, first love, defying authority, etc. Overall a good movie. Be cautious if your bringing tag along younger kids with older siblings/friends. The younger kids (under 10) may find some scenes very scary.
Kid, 11 years old June 27, 2015

Another exceptional run in the saga that will be famous for generations to come.

The Order of the Phoenix, the fifth Potter, includes scary death eaters, dementors and Voldemort. With all these scary characters, tip his movie doesn't reach the peak of violence the previous movie, Goblet of Fire, contained. Still some climactic scenes show Harry angry, and another bloody scene involving Mr. Weasly and a frightening snake. A death of a main character that the audience grew to love that makes Harry even more angry. An evil government working teacher "tortures" students. For mature tweens that have handled the past movies easily. A single kiss, quite passionate.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 December 14, 2014
It really gets good. Imelda Staulton's performance was weird, but it paid off.
Kid, 9 years old March 19, 2012

Amazing, and super funny! :)

I first thought that I didn't like this movie much, but now it is one of my favorites! Order of the Phoenix was probably the worst HP book (but still better then any other book in the world except HP books), but this film was more of a funny adaption! The acting was great, but still, you have the urge to giggle as you watch this! Mostly because as teenagers, the characters have silly feelings and emotions. This was very fast paced and fairly lighthearted. The Department of Mysteries bit was a little intense, but it certainly wasn't so intense that you couldn't continue giggling and enjoying yourself! Sirius does die, but I hate Sirius, so this wasn't a blow at all. I don't know how you could not like the Harry Potter movies because of darkness, but if you do feel that way, don't worry about this one. If anything, the darkness adds to the amusement as the teens go through life. I have a fifteen year old sister, and I can't imagine her doing stuff like Harry does! It's all very good! I just laugh through this movie, and there isn't any scene I want to skip! Everything, no matter how dramatic it's supposed to be, is funny because of the way it's done, and the way it's approached! Luna, too, is funny, not because Evanna is a bad actor, but because she is an amazing one! There is nothing scary or bad about this, it could be a PG, except for the darkness that is put into the light, if that makes sense (it does if you watch the movie)! Everybody is so perfect in this film, it just works brilliantly to make a funny, lighthearted, and extremely amazing movie! Star :)
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

not for kids IMO

I ONLY SAW about 15 minutes and had to stop. The dementer scene or whatever they are sucking the life out of Harry and that fat boy who lives with him is disturbing. Even my mum goes "EW" or something like that and walks away. When I was 10-12 kids in my class were seeing this at home and in the movies. I personally don't think anyone under 15 should watch this, unless they are very STRONG to this sort of thing. Otherwise it's disturbing
Kid, 12 years old November 13, 2015

A Must-See

This movie, while dark and violent, is extremely powerful and proves that kids can stand up for what they believe in. This is my favorite movie, and I recommend it for everyone, especially long-time fans like me.
Kid, 8 years old July 11, 2015

Ok, but a little disturbing and very violent.

I love this movie! But, it was kind of disturbing when Voldemort's 12 ft long snake attacked Mr. Weasly and there was blood everywhere. Also, Siruis's death can be upsetting. I say 12 and up.
Kid, 9 years old October 15, 2014

I watch this movie again, and again!

This movie is GREAT for tweens according to me, but it depends on if your child is mature or brave enough. I say 8, because most 7 year olds aren't ready for kissing like this.Cho Chang and Harry enventully start snogging under mistletoe in the room of requirement. Might go for 9 and up too for some 8 year old boys.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelDanRivera August 4, 2010
Very great movie. Final battle scene was truly amazing. IT WILL BLOW YOU AWAY. The great battle you've always been waiting for. this movie is a little more violent and scary than the 4 on but over it was 93/100-best for ages 9+
Adult Written byTeaspoon April 9, 2008

Harry is Getting Older and Bolder

I take my kids to see Harry Potter each year a movie comes out. They have grown up with Harry and have actually caught up with him in age (14 & 15). I think the issues in the latest movie are appropriate for their age group. Every 14 and 15 year old is dealing with attraction to the opposite sex and I feel that this movie handles Harry's attraction to Cho appropriately. The violence was not too over the top in my opionion. There are cartoons with more violence than you will see her. I have family members who have a problem with the whole concept of wizardry, thinking that it is un-Godly. I say that Harry Potter is the classic example of good against evil and that it is teaching my kids that concept in a venue that they can understand.
Educator Written bytennisguy1847 May 3, 2009

great movie!!!!!!

I am like the b iggest fan of harry potter!!! i loved it except that a LOT of the parts were left out
Adult Written byLumberg April 9, 2008
Kid, 8 years old May 15, 2015

Great fantasy movie has lots of violence and flirting.

My rating PG-13 for: violence, flirting, and brief language.