Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Riveting fifth movie finds Harry angry, brooding.

Adult Written byLindaChek December 18, 2012

If you know what they like and what they will react badly to, there's no reason not to watch.

My son is nearly seven and has been asking for quite some time to see this movie. He has seen the first four and so far we have not found anything in any of them that has frightened him or caused him to be upset--he had a really hard time with "Marley and Me" when they put her to sleep at the end, but magical fiction doesn't scare him at all. I think it really depends on your child and what kind of things upset or frighten them. My son doesn't have any negative reaction to magical battles or fictional characters in jeopardy; many little boys really dig that kind of stuff, and he find it imaginative rather than threatening. I think if you know your child and what kinds of things scare them (if any--so far my kid is fearless!) and if your child has read or listened to the books and is prepared for the events that play out, there is no reason not to let them watch.

Adult Written byOKC Mum April 9, 2008

Dark, but in a good way

As a mum, I must say that Harry's growing up, and the progressively darker nature of each film reflects this. My 11-year-old loved it, and the 6-year-old twins were told in advance that there were bits that might be scary. The key is just knowing your child and being able to discuss any issues afterward in a way that addresses them. As an HP fan, I think it was as faithful to the book as it could have been for its length; it might help to read the series first so as not to miss out on what the writers seem to take for granted that you'll know.
Adult Written byTeaspoon April 9, 2008

Harry is Getting Older and Bolder

I take my kids to see Harry Potter each year a movie comes out. They have grown up with Harry and have actually caught up with him in age (14 & 15). I think the issues in the latest movie are appropriate for their age group. Every 14 and 15 year old is dealing with attraction to the opposite sex and I feel that this movie handles Harry's attraction to Cho appropriately. The violence was not too over the top in my opionion. There are cartoons with more violence than you will see her. I have family members who have a problem with the whole concept of wizardry, thinking that it is un-Godly. I say that Harry Potter is the classic example of good against evil and that it is teaching my kids that concept in a venue that they can understand.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

not for kids IMO

I ONLY SAW about 15 minutes and had to stop. The dementer scene or whatever they are sucking the life out of Harry and that fat boy who lives with him is disturbing. Even my mum goes "EW" or something like that and walks away. When I was 10-12 kids in my class were seeing this at home and in the movies. I personally don't think anyone under 15 should watch this, unless they are very STRONG to this sort of thing. Otherwise it's disturbing

Parent Written bythepedens April 9, 2008

good dark, brooding harry

Although Harry has some true integrity and always winds up doing the right thing, this installment is much darker than past movies. Maybe it has to do with the age that is being depicted here--the teen years, fitting in, finding out who you are, first love, defying authority, etc. Overall a good movie. Be cautious if your bringing tag along younger kids with older siblings/friends. The younger kids (under 10) may find some scenes very scary.
Adult Written bytennisguy1847 May 3, 2009

great movie!!!!!!

I am like the b iggest fan of harry potter!!! i loved it except that a LOT of the parts were left out
Adult Written bytxmugglemom April 9, 2008

Great movie...OK for kids depending on the kid....

I took my 7 and 15 year olds to see this movie. I didn't think twice about the 15 year old. My 7 year old on the other hand took some consideration...he had seen the previous 4 movies and the trailers for Phoenix. I had read Phoenix and knew what to expect. He's pretty mature for 7 and I figured he might be a bit uneasy during several scenes but not outright scared. I was right. I think it really depends on the kid...if your child is sensitive or scares easily this is probably not a good choice. If they're OK with some scary scenes/images and you talk with them afterwards it's probably OK. That's the only reason I gave it the 11-12 year old rating. Enjoy responsibly!
Adult Written byHarry Potter 1 June 8, 2013

Harry Potter's Order acjieves an outstanding O.W.L

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix gets an O for Outstanding. The book to movie translation of Order of the Phoenix was seamless. Daniel,Rupert,and Emma all give their best performances of the 1st 5 films in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. All 3 have settled into their main roles quite nicely by this point and their performance gives the movie a solid foundation. Then the connection between Harry and Voldemort is well done. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is largely a story about the connection between Harry and Voldemort and the film carries this out well. Then the scenes between Harry and Snape provide us with some fantastic acting. I've always liked Alan Rickman's Snape,and those Occlumency scenes,especially in the later ones where Snape is criticizing Harry's father and Harry is defending his father,show some real tension between Harry and Snape. You can truly feel the tension between Harry and Snape in these scenes. And I LOVED Luna Lovegood. Luna is a character who I became a far bigger fan of after the movies came out. Evanna Lynch is a PERFECT Luna. And the movie does a good job of showing you,especially in that scene towards the end in the corridor,that Harry and Luna are true friends and not just "buddy buddy." The harry-Luna friendship is one of my favorites in the Harry Potter series because it transcends age,year,gender,and even house. Luna became the closest friend Harry ever had outside of Gryffindor house and I really appreciate the Harry-Luna friendship for this reason. As for the Dumbledore-Voldemort duel in the Department of Mysteries,well that greatness of that scene speaks for itself. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix does a fantastic job of book to movie translation,as unimportant things such as Qudditch are left out and important things such as Dumbeldore's Army,the battles in the Department of Mysteries,and the prophecy are included. My only criticism is that Marietta Edgecombe should have been in the movie and been the D.A. traitor. Marrieta was the traitor in the book and she should have been the traitor in the movie. Cho Chang should have been cut from the movie herself,not given Marietta's role. Still,I felt so fulfilled and satisfied when I walked out of the theatre for the 1st time after seeing this movie that I can't give it anything less than 5 stars. Parents should be aware that this movie contains scenes where Harry is forced to write in his own blood in a detention,some dark and scary dream scenes that include Harry have a flashback vision to Cedric's murder and a vision of a massive snake bite,and a death that likely will produce varying degrees of emotional reaction from viewers,depending on how much they cared about the character that died. It should also be noted that the Dumbledore-Voldemort duel at the climax of the movie is pretty intense. Like with Goblet of Fire,I'd say that Order of the Phoenix is not for elementary school children. Middle schoolers and high schoolers should be able to cope with Order of the Phoenix and it's an outstanding movie for that age group. Watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is a 5 star experience.

Adult Written byvoicedancer April 9, 2008

Disappointing casting

ro, Reread the TOoTP and enjoy structuring the massive holocaust that is to come in Book 6 and finally in 7. This movie is sad. Tonks is kooky, dramatic, cartoon-charactered in energy and appearance and madly in love and totally unpredictable. She zings in and out of scenes. She's a TEASE, a NERVE in motion.Not so in the movie. Luna, likewise, should be awkward,neglected-looking, embarrasing to be seen with, clingy, needy, brusk, goofy, full of wierd unsolicited advice and "magical facts." In the final chapters of Deathly Hallows, these two NON-conformists play vital NON-conformists' roles. Here it's poor casting and dull, stiff directing. It's not that Daniel is such a stick - it's that he was instructed to frown and moan and stand with a stiff neck. Poor directing with no respect for the various ages of the audience - from wide eyed actionlovers to mature motivation seekers. The sense of continuity in the "WAR", the need for escalation of fear and threat, are mouthed but not Lived. The provocations for HP's anger, the zany twins rebellion, the prophecy of Draco's rank as "Deputy" to Umbridge - None would ever have been understandable to someone who hadn't read the book. Even the music was nondescript. HP 5 was melodramatic and shallow. I'd rate it as a "Do over!"
Parent of a 10 year old Written byreviewer_3.14159265 July 17, 2010

good, but the most violent harry potter yet.

It's not the best HP, but it's still a family favorite, along with all the other HP's. It is violent, with one big, half hour battle at the end, and theres other violent parts including a centaur being strangled by a rope, a man being bitten by a snake (from a first person view) and practice dummies being blown to dust and blasted by spells. But on the bright side, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Neville, Luna, Ginny, and Sirius are good role models.

Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Best Harry Potter film yet!!

My dad and I both loved this movie (we see all the Harry Potter movies together- it's a tradition). This one is my favorite. The characters aren't little kids anymore, and the story appeals more to older people now. All in all, a great movie. Dont miss it!!
Adult Written byshark95 April 9, 2008

great!

Harry Potter books are like the bible to me. the Movie wasn't exactly liked the books and there were many changes, but you can't expect to fit about 800 pages into like a 2 hour movie. it is a little dark for real little children to see but i would take a six year old to it. people complain about it not being like the book but a lot of people i know that the movie have never read a book. there are people that only read the books or only watch the movies the ones that do both just have to deal with a few changes. Over all the movie was a hit and the violence wasn't terrible only a few dementors, centur attack and wand dueling fight. The kiss was flimed very well. a five star for me.
Adult Written bysatan March 15, 2011
one of the best so far

Parent of a 14 year old Written byMoneyprincess June 18, 2009

Please Read This!

Ronald Weasley uses the British cuss word, bloody, in the movie and I think you should look it up in a British dictionary before you let your children watch this movie.

Adult Written byLumberg April 9, 2008
Adult Written bydreamer1996 April 9, 2008

This movie is horrible it just isn't okay for my children's influence

Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written byrlfromm April 9, 2008
Adult Written byellableu April 9, 2008
Parent of a 8 and 8 year old Written byEzri_B April 9, 2008

If you love the books, then remember it's not the same

My whole family LOVED the first half of this movie. We are avid readers of the books, my 6 year old knows more trivia then most teenagers do. The begining made me really happy. Then last half nearly devastated me. The begining was true to the book (or at least as close as you can be by cutting down a book to fit movie time.) The last half wasn't even accurate. It was just wrong, and it wasn't that they had to cut it that way for time's sake, it was just wrong. Very disapointing for all of us.
Adult Written byteachna April 9, 2008