All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Parent of a 11 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... August 10, 2009

Good for tweens

Glad that this Harry Potter was age appropriate!! No nightmares or overly nasty imagery.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bydougereed May 2, 2009

Best Harry Potter movie so far

This is my favorite of the Harry Potter series.
Parent of a 1, 8, 10, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil February 21, 2009

Captures the Material
Adult Written byrt66girl April 9, 2008
Adult Written bytoona54720 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

From the beginning of the Harry Potter movies, I have made an effort to take my family to each and every one. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by far is the best of the three out so far. I highly recommend this movie for anyone who would like to have an enjoyable evening with their family.
Adult Written byptforme95 April 9, 2008

Would read the book first so not-so-scary!

Adult Written byRobyn Raymer April 9, 2008

Didn't live up to my expectations

This film's plot seemed flat to me, even though I loved its look (more austere than the first two films) and I thought the child actors did a better job under new direction. I was really disappointed, because this was actually my favorite Harry Potter book. It seemed dreary to repeat a whole sequence of events after Hermione and Harry turned back time. I'd give it a C-minus. Oh, well!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

A Deeper, Darker Potter

As Harry Potter grows up, the theme and action of both the books and the movies are getting a little heavier and a little darker. The first big step is The Prisoner of Azkaban. The tormentors may be the most frightening sight in a childrens movie since the wicked witch and her flying monkeys. Although this Potter isn't the one for young children, older viewers (including parents) will enjoy the first-rate productions values. We can grow up with Harry, but make sure it's done at the proper age intervals.
Adult Written byjohnnydogmatic April 9, 2008

Stunning direction

The third HP book was the strongest plot to date and in many ways is the very finest story. Much more atmospheric and emotional direction in this film matches the book's mood perfectly. The effects are wonderful but the acting and feeling even better. The dementors do not disappoint!
Parent Written bycarrieross April 9, 2008

A must see for adventurous kids!

I didn't like that they made it look like they weren't in Hogwarts and they just wore normal clothes. I liked everything else. It had more scenes outside on the grounds of Hogwarts. The special effects were good especially Buckbeak and Professor Lupin's transformation. The Dementors were scary but not too scary - just right. I didn't really like the new Draco and the way he looked though. They also added new parts that weren't in the book but they fit in well. Overall I would highly recommend this movie!
Adult Written bymarie007 April 9, 2008

Missing something?!

Not nearly as good as the first two, but still a good movie.At first we were unsure of taking our 3 1/2 year old to see the movie, but we did and she enjoyed it.Of course, there are many things to discuss with your child before or after the movie, especially if you take a younger child. There is a vicious dog, dementors (whose name says it all), a werewolf, an animal execution, mild violence, deceitfulness, talk of murder and fear, and in the beginning, Harry runs away from home. All of these scream "know your child". If they scare easily you may want to wait a year. These are also other things to discuss,such as your views on the subjects and your children's ideas about them, what it means to them, etc. One thing we always remind our daughter is that none of it is real. It is only "people pretending" to do these things...actors, acting it out. One thing in particular you might talk about with your child is the part where Harry runs away. We all know Harry does not have a parent (or guardian) that he can talk to and work things out with, but we can remind our children that we are here to talk with - anytime, about anything, and remind them of the dangers out there. Again, this is a good movie, just don't expect it to follow the book as you might like. If your children or friends haven't read the book and you have, you might explain why Harry's patronus takes the form that it does. There are also several other points that the movie leaves out that may make it a bit unsatisfactory. And don't forget......Have Fun!!!!
Adult Written byLisa Ann April 9, 2008

The book becomes reality

As a teacher I live to see children picking up books and this is one they all love...the movie brings the characters to life as the first two in the series did. If this autor makes kids read...Halleluiah!
Adult Written byJenniferGrant April 9, 2008
Harry must draw on his most positive memories including the love of his parents (about which he's been told) in order to keep evil at bay. That which is positive in him becomes what makes him most powerful. Both in his battle against the dementors and in the classroom exercise of Harry and his schoolmates turning their most-feared objects into things to laugh about (to release themselves from fear), there is much to think about in this movie. My 8 year old son and I had extended convserations after seeing it about what to do with fear and about the strength that can lie within us and can take us by surprise.
Adult Written byKaren L Peterson April 9, 2008
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bykerwin70 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byRainy April 9, 2008
Adult Written byDracoHOt404 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byalexo21 April 9, 2008

Good But Disappointing

I find that Harry Potter is becoming more and more for teens than kids. I actually thought this movie wasnt that good, I was expecting better. Daniel Radcliffe sucked big time. Ron and Hermione should get more credit for their acting. It's a good family movie. I hope the next one is better than this one. I'm not going to cry though... Or wait I might...
Adult Written bybrezzyegg April 9, 2008