All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Parent of a 8 year old Written bysbg2010 October 21, 2010

Scary for younger kids

As a reader of the Harry Potter books and as a parent, I really enjoyed the movie. However my 8 year old son was really scared by this movie. He is a little sensitive to scary material. I think he could have handled the same material in the book but in the movie it's much more real and graphic. He cited the "possessed" voice of one of the characters and the werewolf transformation. Even though I used the "violent" icon, I really mean it's scary more so than violent. I also think the first two movies were not as scary.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byDad42 January 27, 2011

Nightmares for the young audience

Although rated PD here, this is really not suitable for kids under 9/10, much too scary - it frightened my daughter aged 7 and we had to switch off, I had to spend a good deal of time calming her fears. She had loved the first two movies in the series which were not a challenge to her.
Adult Written bylizperle April 9, 2008

the best yet

My ten year old son and I had the time of our lives at this movie even if he did reach over and hold my hand a couple of times in the scarier parts. This movie never stops. The camera follows everyone intimately so you have the feeling of "you rae there". Also, much of the movie takes place outside so it has a very different feel than the earlier ones that were safely wrapped in the inner landscape of Hogwarts. I heartily recommend reading the book first and then going together with your family. It's a great night out!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byrang October 10, 2010
good
Adult Written byalexo21 April 9, 2008

Good But Disappointing

I find that Harry Potter is becoming more and more for teens than kids. I actually thought this movie wasnt that good, I was expecting better. Daniel Radcliffe sucked big time. Ron and Hermione should get more credit for their acting. It's a good family movie. I hope the next one is better than this one. I'm not going to cry though... Or wait I might...
Adult Written bylaurynx February 25, 2015

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think this movie is amazing, one of my favorite Harry Potter films. This one in particular is quite frightening so I recommend small children don't watch this. I really thoroughly enjoy all Harry Potter films. I have since i was a young girl. WATCH IT.........
Adult Written byAppleTango1 January 28, 2012

Great, but darker than first couple.

Great film, but I was too scared to watch it all until I was about 11 or 12. At the very beginning, Harry's great aunt gets blown up and all fat and it's a little disturbing to be honest. Scared the hell outta me when I was 7 haha, but I'm a scaredy cat like that. Quite a dark theme.... a LOT darker and more moving than the first couple; but you should still watch it. Freaky scene when Professor Reamus Lupin turns into werewolf, and can be scary / bad for younger kids when there's a killer on the loose and tries to murder hermione harry and ron.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

good

i luv harry potter movies there awsome! but this could have been rated PG.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySongbird21 October 15, 2009
It's a decent movie. Might be a little too scary for kids under 10. If you're strict about accuracy to the plot then prepare to be disappointed. There is no battle whatsoever between the kids and the death eaters in the prophecy room and many more changes abound.
Adult Written byRainy April 9, 2008
Parent of a 8 year old Written byuusarahmcg September 29, 2009

Way too scary (spoiler)

The dementors are scary, the scene with the divinity teacher predicting Harry's future terrified my daughter, the animangus was scary expecially when he dragged Ron into the whomping willow! Also scary: warewolf transformation. All in all, this movie was WAY too much for my daughter. However, she loves HP and begs to see this movie again.
Adult Written bytoona54720 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Awesome

From the beginning of the Harry Potter movies, I have made an effort to take my family to each and every one. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by far is the best of the three out so far. I highly recommend this movie for anyone who would like to have an enjoyable evening with their family.
Adult Written byptforme95 April 9, 2008

Would read the book first so not-so-scary!

Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

A Deeper, Darker Potter

As Harry Potter grows up, the theme and action of both the books and the movies are getting a little heavier and a little darker. The first big step is The Prisoner of Azkaban. The tormentors may be the most frightening sight in a childrens movie since the wicked witch and her flying monkeys. Although this Potter isn't the one for young children, older viewers (including parents) will enjoy the first-rate productions values. We can grow up with Harry, but make sure it's done at the proper age intervals.
Adult Written bymdacko April 9, 2008

Harry Potter rides again!

Great movie for fans of the Harry Potter series. I would have liked to seen a bit more of the Quidditch storyline presented in the Prisoner of Azkaban book.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bydodgerfan April 9, 2008

Best of the Potter Films

This is the best of the films, with the kids' acting improving and the storytelling (i.e., directing) really good. My boys (8 and 11) have seen this any number of times. The werewolf scenes were a bit too intense for my younger son when the movie first came out.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byCriticKing May 4, 2016

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is a 2004 British fantasy film directed by Alfonso Cuarón and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is based on the novel of the same name by J. K. Rowling. The film, which is the third instalment in the Harry Potter film series, was written by Steve Kloves and produced by Chris Columbus (director of the first two instalments), David Heyman, and Mark Radcliffe. The story follows Harry Potter's third year at Hogwarts as he is informed that a prisoner named Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban intending to kill him. Themes: Conquering fear is a hug theme here. Friendship, love, bravery, and loyalty are always major themes in the series. So is the idea of making good choices. Diverse cast and strong female characters. Violence: Harry's school book attacks him (the book is equipped with eyes and teeth and attacks very abruptly so it may cause a jump). Draco gets kicked by a Hippogriff (a sort of mix between a falcon and a horse). His father makes a complaint and arranges to have the Hippogriff executed. We see the execution from on top of a hill and the actual killing is not visible. All we see is the executioner raise and then lower his axe from far away and we see birds fly when the axe lowers. However as shown later, the Hippogriff was rescued and all the executioner was really lowering his axe on was a pumpkin. Hermione punches Draco in the face. A black dog attacks Ron and drags him by the leg. Harry disarms Snape, and in the process sends him flying across the room and crashing into a bed. Lupin's transformation into a werewolf is particularly frightening. You see his backbone protrude and reshape as well as his feet and his face. He then goes on to attack Harry, Ron & Hermione but is intercepted by Sirius (as a dog). They erupt into a fight and Lupin nearly kills Sirius. Recommended MPAA Rating: PG-13 for some creature violence and frightening images. Language: 3 uses of bloody hell, 2 uses of bloody, 1 use of damn and 1 mild use of bitch. Drug Use: In the oppening sequence, Marge, Vernon and Petunia drink some brandy. Marge also lets her pet bulldog drink brandy out of her glass. Fudge and Rosmerta drink some alcoholic drinks from a bottle. Sex: Nudity: Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban is considered as "The best!" All viewers aged 10 and up will be admitted to see the film.
Parent of a 8, 12, and 16 year old Written bylauradavis723@m... January 26, 2016
I'm 8 years old and Prisoner of Azkaban is violent. The movie has black ghosts called Dementors that suck your soul and a powerful spell ''Expecto Patronum.'' This can be scary.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byFatherof two September 7, 2015

very amazing

I am almost 7 years old. The violence did not shock me.The werewolf transformation is so cool. I like all three movies. It is not appropriate for ages under 5. I think it is good because there are more rescuing than murdering. I have the feeling of magic happening in the real world while watching the movie. The knight bus passed between two cars is amazing. I want to see the rest if HP defeats Voldemort but my father said wait until next year. I just want to read HP books for now.