All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Parent of a 7 year old Written byDad42 January 27, 2011

Nightmares for the young audience

Although rated PD here, this is really not suitable for kids under 9/10, much too scary - it frightened my daughter aged 7 and we had to switch off, I had to spend a good deal of time calming her fears. She had loved the first two movies in the series which were not a challenge to her.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bysbg2010 October 21, 2010

Scary for younger kids

As a reader of the Harry Potter books and as a parent, I really enjoyed the movie. However my 8 year old son was really scared by this movie. He is a little sensitive to scary material. I think he could have handled the same material in the book but in the movie it's much more real and graphic. He cited the "possessed" voice of one of the characters and the werewolf transformation. Even though I used the "violent" icon, I really mean it's scary more so than violent. I also think the first two movies were not as scary.
Adult Written bylizperle April 9, 2008

the best yet

My ten year old son and I had the time of our lives at this movie even if he did reach over and hold my hand a couple of times in the scarier parts. This movie never stops. The camera follows everyone intimately so you have the feeling of "you rae there". Also, much of the movie takes place outside so it has a very different feel than the earlier ones that were safely wrapped in the inner landscape of Hogwarts. I heartily recommend reading the book first and then going together with your family. It's a great night out!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byrang October 10, 2010
good
Adult Written byalexo21 April 9, 2008

Good But Disappointing

I find that Harry Potter is becoming more and more for teens than kids. I actually thought this movie wasnt that good, I was expecting better. Daniel Radcliffe sucked big time. Ron and Hermione should get more credit for their acting. It's a good family movie. I hope the next one is better than this one. I'm not going to cry though... Or wait I might...
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

good

i luv harry potter movies there awsome! but this could have been rated PG.
Adult Written bylaurynx February 25, 2015

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think this movie is amazing, one of my favorite Harry Potter films. This one in particular is quite frightening so I recommend small children don't watch this. I really thoroughly enjoy all Harry Potter films. I have since i was a young girl. WATCH IT.........
Adult Written byAppleTango1 January 28, 2012

Great, but darker than first couple.

Great film, but I was too scared to watch it all until I was about 11 or 12. At the very beginning, Harry's great aunt gets blown up and all fat and it's a little disturbing to be honest. Scared the hell outta me when I was 7 haha, but I'm a scaredy cat like that. Quite a dark theme.... a LOT darker and more moving than the first couple; but you should still watch it. Freaky scene when Professor Reamus Lupin turns into werewolf, and can be scary / bad for younger kids when there's a killer on the loose and tries to murder hermione harry and ron.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySongbird21 October 15, 2009
It's a decent movie. Might be a little too scary for kids under 10. If you're strict about accuracy to the plot then prepare to be disappointed. There is no battle whatsoever between the kids and the death eaters in the prophecy room and many more changes abound.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byuusarahmcg September 29, 2009

Way too scary (spoiler)

The dementors are scary, the scene with the divinity teacher predicting Harry's future terrified my daughter, the animangus was scary expecially when he dragged Ron into the whomping willow! Also scary: warewolf transformation. All in all, this movie was WAY too much for my daughter. However, she loves HP and begs to see this movie again.
Adult Written byptforme95 April 9, 2008

Would read the book first so not-so-scary!

Adult Written bymdacko April 9, 2008

Harry Potter rides again!

Great movie for fans of the Harry Potter series. I would have liked to seen a bit more of the Quidditch storyline presented in the Prisoner of Azkaban book.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bydodgerfan April 9, 2008

Best of the Potter Films

This is the best of the films, with the kids' acting improving and the storytelling (i.e., directing) really good. My boys (8 and 11) have seen this any number of times. The werewolf scenes were a bit too intense for my younger son when the movie first came out.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byCriticKing May 4, 2016

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is a 2004 British fantasy film directed by Alfonso Cuarón and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. It is based on the novel of the same name by J. K. Rowling. The film, which is the third instalment in the Harry Potter film series, was written by Steve Kloves and produced by Chris Columbus (director of the first two instalments), David Heyman, and Mark Radcliffe. The story follows Harry Potter's third year at Hogwarts as he is informed that a prisoner named Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban intending to kill him. Themes: Conquering fear is a hug theme here. Friendship, love, bravery, and loyalty are always major themes in the series. So is the idea of making good choices. Diverse cast and strong female characters. Violence: Harry's school book attacks him (the book is equipped with eyes and teeth and attacks very abruptly so it may cause a jump). Draco gets kicked by a Hippogriff (a sort of mix between a falcon and a horse). His father makes a complaint and arranges to have the Hippogriff executed. We see the execution from on top of a hill and the actual killing is not visible. All we see is the executioner raise and then lower his axe from far away and we see birds fly when the axe lowers. However as shown later, the Hippogriff was rescued and all the executioner was really lowering his axe on was a pumpkin. Hermione punches Draco in the face. A black dog attacks Ron and drags him by the leg. Harry disarms Snape, and in the process sends him flying across the room and crashing into a bed. Lupin's transformation into a werewolf is particularly frightening. You see his backbone protrude and reshape as well as his feet and his face. He then goes on to attack Harry, Ron & Hermione but is intercepted by Sirius (as a dog). They erupt into a fight and Lupin nearly kills Sirius. Recommended MPAA Rating: PG-13 for some creature violence and frightening images. Language: 3 uses of bloody hell, 2 uses of bloody, 1 use of damn and 1 mild use of bitch. Drug Use: In the oppening sequence, Marge, Vernon and Petunia drink some brandy. Marge also lets her pet bulldog drink brandy out of her glass. Fudge and Rosmerta drink some alcoholic drinks from a bottle. Sex: Nudity: Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban is considered as "The best!" All viewers aged 10 and up will be admitted to see the film.
Parent of a 8, 12, and 16 year old Written bylauradavis723@m... January 26, 2016
I'm 8 years old and Prisoner of Azkaban is violent. The movie has black ghosts called Dementors that suck your soul and a powerful spell ''Expecto Patronum.'' This can be scary.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byFatherof two September 7, 2015

very amazing

I am almost 7 years old. The violence did not shock me.The werewolf transformation is so cool. I like all three movies. It is not appropriate for ages under 5. I think it is good because there are more rescuing than murdering. I have the feeling of magic happening in the real world while watching the movie. The knight bus passed between two cars is amazing. I want to see the rest if HP defeats Voldemort but my father said wait until next year. I just want to read HP books for now.
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo February 8, 2015

Real great.

this is so great, but younger kids might be scared of the following: the dementors, sirius black, the boggart, and lupin (as a werewolf).
Adult Written byHarry Potter 1 June 7, 2013

The only Harry Potter movie I don't reccomend.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is an epic failure of a movie because they did such a poor job of book to movie translation. Some very critical plot points are left out,resulting in a very unfulfilling movie. This movie completely misses the boat by failing to include plot points such as why the marauders became animagi in the 1st place,the history of the map,and,most importantly,what motivated Sirius to escape from Azkaban. As Sirius escape from Azkaban sets in motion the events of the book that set in motion the rest of the series,to not explain to movie audience exactly what motivated Sirius to escape from Azkaban was an epic plot failure. Although there are some great aspects to this movie,the fact they did such a bad job with the plot makes an epic failure. Alfonso talks on the DVD extras about "exploring emotional territories." And that's exactly what went wrong with this movie. Alfonso was more interested in "emotional territories" than in plot and this movie suffers for it. This movie is 19 minutes shorter than the 5 star classic Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets,so you can't say they didn't have time to explain these things. I will admit,the Knight Bus scene was fun and Buckbeak is breathtaking. And Hermione's punch was awesome. And the time turner scene was quite well done. But,when the plot fails,the movie fails. Epic Fail. i do not recommend this movie. However,in terms of who it's okay for,it's not much worse than Chamber of Secrets. The werewolf and the big dog are probably equal to the giant talking spider and the basilisk. The only thing that would make Azkaban somewhat worse than Chamber would be the dementors. Because of the creepiness of the dementors,though,this is off for preschoolers and kindergarteners. It's pause for kids in grades 1-2. It's on for kids in 3rd grade and older.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

too violent, even for me

Overall should be PG13. I personally think these films are too violent for children...
Parent of a 13, 13, and 15 year old Written byJawsFan3000 October 15, 2011

Darkest Potter yet is the best so far.

My MPAA rating: PG for scary scenes, some fantasy violence, and mild language.