All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Parent of a 8 year old Written bysbg2010 October 21, 2010

Scary for younger kids

As a reader of the Harry Potter books and as a parent, I really enjoyed the movie. However my 8 year old son was really scared by this movie. He is a little sensitive to scary material. I think he could have handled the same material in the book but in the movie it's much more real and graphic. He cited the "possessed" voice of one of the characters and the werewolf transformation. Even though I used the "violent" icon, I really mean it's scary more so than violent. I also think the first two movies were not as scary.
Kid, 10 years old April 28, 2011

Parent of a 7 year old Written byDad42 January 27, 2011

Nightmares for the young audience

Although rated PD here, this is really not suitable for kids under 9/10, much too scary - it frightened my daughter aged 7 and we had to switch off, I had to spend a good deal of time calming her fears. She had loved the first two movies in the series which were not a challenge to her.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIgnotus_Peverell May 9, 2011

Masterful!

IT'S ON EMPIRES TOP FILMS OF ALL TIME LIST! ^ Needless to say, this movie is absolutely breath-taking! Alfonso Curaun took J.K Rowling's amazing work and turned it into an amazing, family classic for ALMOST all ages
Teen, 16 years old Written byannesbanannes May 7, 2011

Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2011

Totally Awesome movie for 9+

Why I chose these ratings above? Positive messages: 1. Professor Lupin teaches Harry to fight these "dementors" by focusing on happy thoughts Good Role Models:(List) 1.Professor Remus John Lupin Why? Helps Harry conqueor his fears. Forgives Sirius Black for thinking that he (Remus) betrayed Lily and James Potter accepts Sirius' apolgy for thinking that he (Sirius) was the betrayer. 2. Rubeus Hagrid Why? Comments positivly to Harry, Ron and Hermione 3. Albus Dumbledore Why? Helps Hermione and Harry save Sirius Black from a horrible fate not deserved. 4. Hermione Granger Why? Keeps Professor Lupin's secret "disease", lycanthropy a secret. 5. Sirius Black Why? He forgives Remus Lupin for thinking that he (Sirius) was the betrayer and asks Remus Lupin to forgive him for thinking that he (Remus) was the betrayer. 6. Harry Potter Why? He saves his past self from the "Dementor's Kiss". Concerns: Violence: 1.At the end of the movie, Professor Remus Lupin transforms into a werewolf and (unknowingly) trys to bite/injure Harry, and Hermione sevral times. Language: 1 use of b**** and some uses of d***. It was an excellent movie!
Kid, 12 years old July 5, 2011

Great movie

But has turned to a more scary film
Kid, 10 years old April 24, 2011

best potter movie

My fav potter movie.when hermoine punched malfoy i went LOL
Kid, 11 years old April 3, 2011

Never stop loving harry potter

I love harry potter, still.
Teen, 17 years old Written byXemnasSuperior March 10, 2011

Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2011

Romance?! Since when! Scariest Harry Potter movie though.

When I say violent,I mean scary.Seriously,I think it is the scariest out of all the movies so far.And romance? Since when! What are you talking about? That's in the 5th movie,not the 3rd!
Kid, 11 years old October 3, 2010

The best movie for the almost-tweens!

This movie is better than SillyBandz! I love it! I started watching it when I was about six and had to many nightmares, so I waited a few years and love it now! I must see for 8-9+!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySongbird21 October 15, 2009

It's a decent movie. Might be a little too scary for kids under 10. If you're strict about accuracy to the plot then prepare to be disappointed. There is no battle whatsoever between the kids and the death eaters in the prophecy room and many more changes abound.
Adult Written bylizperle April 9, 2008

the best yet

My ten year old son and I had the time of our lives at this movie even if he did reach over and hold my hand a couple of times in the scarier parts. This movie never stops. The camera follows everyone intimately so you have the feeling of "you rae there". Also, much of the movie takes place outside so it has a very different feel than the earlier ones that were safely wrapped in the inner landscape of Hogwarts. I heartily recommend reading the book first and then going together with your family. It's a great night out!
Adult Written bymdacko April 9, 2008

Harry Potter rides again!

Great movie for fans of the Harry Potter series. I would have liked to seen a bit more of the Quidditch storyline presented in the Prisoner of Azkaban book.
Kid, 8 years old May 15, 2015

Great Harry Potter movie has intense scenes but no blood.

My rating PG for: brief violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypicardisbetter May 8, 2015

Not the best but I've seen worse

Taking into account that the visuals are better than that of the previous 2, this movie isn't the best of the eight, in a nutshell it was kinda confusing
Kid, 10 years old April 29, 2015

harry potter3

The animation looks so REAL! Just remember that because this movie includes the dementors for the first time. These magical creatures will scare your little kids. And by that I mean nightmares are most possibly gonna happen. The movie is really good. Please remember this movie is most likely best for teen to adult.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTIE41 February 26, 2015

Darker than the first two

This movie takes a turn for the best in this movie, the plot is a little more quirkier than the last ones, and little funnier. there is nothing really wrong in this movie except the end may scare small kids, the movie is probably too complex for kids under 9, but this is the best of the Potter saga.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAbc1 January 6, 2015

I thought the really creepy part was when a teacher seems to be possessed. Also when the de mentors and werewolves come out.