All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Fantastic, but kids are older, themes are darker.

Kid, 10 years old March 20, 2012

Warewolves, Witches, and Wizards... OH, MY!

It is good for most kids and there are only a few bad words. The warewolves and mythical creatures might be to scary for some kids though.
Kid, 9 years old March 19, 2012

Amazing, this is my favorite! :)

This is my favorite Harry Potter movie! Harry, Hermione, and Ron are all just the perfect age to do this right! They aren't eleven and twelve anymore, but they're no more then the perfect thirteen! You know just how old they are! This is not scary in the slightest, and the only possibly upsetting scene would be when you think Buckbeak is dead. This movie is just so right and follows the book so well! I can't imagine a better made movie of Prisoner of Azkaban! It has every little detail, and you know no movie could be better then it! I love Draco, of course, and Hermione is so amazing too! Hermione is the best in this! I love that Ron gets held out of the end (I hate him), and Hermione does so well in it! This is exactly like the book! You have to watch it, and don't be worried about scariness or anything else! Star :)
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 26, 2012

Amazing

One of the best Potter films and beautifully directed by Alfonso Cuaron
Adult Written byAppleTango1 January 28, 2012

Great, but darker than first couple.

Great film, but I was too scared to watch it all until I was about 11 or 12. At the very beginning, Harry's great aunt gets blown up and all fat and it's a little disturbing to be honest. Scared the hell outta me when I was 7 haha, but I'm a scaredy cat like that. Quite a dark theme.... a LOT darker and more moving than the first couple; but you should still watch it. Freaky scene when Professor Reamus Lupin turns into werewolf, and can be scary / bad for younger kids when there's a killer on the loose and tries to murder hermione harry and ron.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOfficial Critic January 26, 2012

LEARNING

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Review

This third installment in the series has a slightly disjointed feel and ultimately does not top the previous two. However, I do like how the atmosphere is growing darker and the characters are maturing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJKB97 January 2, 2012

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: the story is more sirius!

The third installment in the Harry Potter saga introduces a darker, more intense story which is more complex than the other two films. Even though it is still rated PG (which suggests it's aimed at viewers 8 years and older) the monsters and creatures such as Dementors who suck the happiness out of people are introduced. Also, there is a werewolf who brutally fights with a dog. There is no bloody violence, it is mainly frightening - the director conveys a sense of a halloween style which coincides with magic also. Anyone under the age of 10 I recommend firstly an adult watches it with them, if the child is a bit scared of magical creatures. The children are getting older and the audience grows up with them almost. Make sure the child that is watching understands the plot and the storyline so he/she can appreciate the characters. Perhaps read the book first, so you can expect some scares throughout the film. Prisoner of Azkaban is probably one of the best, as it allows the viewers to delve into the background stories, away from the main theme of Harry and Voldemort and we learn more about Harry's parent's death.
Teen, 13 years old Written byXDMorsemordreXD December 30, 2011

Amazing!

Awesome adaption of an awesome book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byInSaNiTy_Chick December 17, 2011

luv it :D

...
Kid, 10 years old November 15, 2011

potter forever

were wolf is scary plus darker
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

too violent, even for me

Overall should be PG13. I personally think these films are too violent for children...
Parent of a 13, 13, and 15 year old Written byJawsFan3000 October 15, 2011

Darkest Potter yet is the best so far.

My MPAA rating: PG for scary scenes, some fantasy violence, and mild language.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycinnagurl October 2, 2011

read the book missing half the story

This is a really good movie so much was left out. The ending was not like the book. the book is so much better. bloody h*** is used as in most of the movies and the dementors may scary for some. the describes more. i really like the book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLaFontaine October 1, 2011

Creepy

I really like this movie, but it is too scary for little kids. The Dementors are very scary, and the Time Turner scene is a bit tense.
Kid, 12 years old August 30, 2011

Those Dementors are Annoying!

[On] for Kids 9+ (Good Role-Models, but Positive Messages are the Dominent of the Two) [Pause] For Kids 6-8 (Scarier then the first two, and "Butterbeer" is introduced) [Off] For Kids 5- (Violence is a No for Kids this age. Period)
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag August 26, 2011

Third Harry Potter movie is as excellent as its prequels.

The third movie in the franchise is not directed by Chris Columbus anymore, but by Alfonso Cuaron. The movie looks darker, more mature - but still has several laughters and is still suitable for children. The movie has some scary and dark parts, but it always lightens up. Suitable for children 8 and up.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg July 1, 2011

STILL THE BEST!

Too violent for younger then nine..
Kid, 10 years old June 29, 2011

Good for 7 year olds.

Ok. I was curios what common sense would say about this movie, so I searched it on their site. ON FOR AGE TEN? Seriously! I AM ten and I think it's iffy for six year olds! The only bad things about this movie are the dementors and a shrunken head says d*mn. But there are good things about this movie! The patronous charm is 100% not scary. And the ridiculus spell thing teaches people to not be afraid of their worst fears. It's a good life lesson. So if you have a seven year old who likes harry potter, lett'em watch this movie! If your six year old is not afraid of wizard violence, it's good for them.
Kid, 10 years old June 27, 2011

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

This movie is really good!!! PG- For Peril, Scary Images, some Fantasy Violence,a scene of Creature Violence, and some language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 18, 2011

The Prisoner of Azkaban redeems the Harry Potter saga.

After watching what I thought was the utter failure of The Chamber of Secrets, I was not looking forward to The Prisoner of Azkaban. After it was finished, I left the theater with an oddly impressed feeling. The story is full of dark undertones, but the magic is still there. The actors are improving substancially since The Sorcerer's Stone. I think what made the movie better was changing directors. Alfonso Cuaron ( who would go on to make Children of Men) took the director's chair from Chris Columbus and the change is noticeable and wanted. Note to parents: The dark undertones and some scary creatures make it a bit more violent and scary than its predacessors, yet it is okay for pre-teens and even some younger kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 April 6, 2011

Very good third movie.

My rating: PG [borderline with PG-13] for fantasy action, creature violence, frightening images and some language.