All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Fantastic, but kids are older, themes are darker.

Kid, 10 years old November 15, 2011

potter forever

were wolf is scary plus darker
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

too violent, even for me

Overall should be PG13. I personally think these films are too violent for children...
Parent of a 13, 13, and 15 year old Written byJawsFan3000 October 15, 2011

Darkest Potter yet is the best so far.

My MPAA rating: PG for scary scenes, some fantasy violence, and mild language.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycinnagurl October 2, 2011

read the book missing half the story

This is a really good movie so much was left out. The ending was not like the book. the book is so much better. bloody h*** is used as in most of the movies and the dementors may scary for some. the describes more. i really like the book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLaFontaine October 1, 2011

Creepy

I really like this movie, but it is too scary for little kids. The Dementors are very scary, and the Time Turner scene is a bit tense.
Kid, 12 years old August 30, 2011

Those Dementors are Annoying!

[On] for Kids 9+ (Good Role-Models, but Positive Messages are the Dominent of the Two) [Pause] For Kids 6-8 (Scarier then the first two, and "Butterbeer" is introduced) [Off] For Kids 5- (Violence is a No for Kids this age. Period)
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag August 26, 2011

Third Harry Potter movie is as excellent as its prequels.

The third movie in the franchise is not directed by Chris Columbus anymore, but by Alfonso Cuaron. The movie looks darker, more mature - but still has several laughters and is still suitable for children. The movie has some scary and dark parts, but it always lightens up. Suitable for children 8 and up.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg July 1, 2011

STILL THE BEST!

Too violent for younger then nine..
Kid, 10 years old June 29, 2011

Good for 7 year olds.

Ok. I was curios what common sense would say about this movie, so I searched it on their site. ON FOR AGE TEN? Seriously! I AM ten and I think it's iffy for six year olds! The only bad things about this movie are the dementors and a shrunken head says d*mn. But there are good things about this movie! The patronous charm is 100% not scary. And the ridiculus spell thing teaches people to not be afraid of their worst fears. It's a good life lesson. So if you have a seven year old who likes harry potter, lett'em watch this movie! If your six year old is not afraid of wizard violence, it's good for them.
Kid, 10 years old June 27, 2011

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

This movie is really good!!! PG- For Peril, Scary Images, some Fantasy Violence,a scene of Creature Violence, and some language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 18, 2011

The Prisoner of Azkaban redeems the Harry Potter saga.

After watching what I thought was the utter failure of The Chamber of Secrets, I was not looking forward to The Prisoner of Azkaban. After it was finished, I left the theater with an oddly impressed feeling. The story is full of dark undertones, but the magic is still there. The actors are improving substancially since The Sorcerer's Stone. I think what made the movie better was changing directors. Alfonso Cuaron ( who would go on to make Children of Men) took the director's chair from Chris Columbus and the change is noticeable and wanted. Note to parents: The dark undertones and some scary creatures make it a bit more violent and scary than its predacessors, yet it is okay for pre-teens and even some younger kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 April 6, 2011

Very good third movie.

My rating: PG [borderline with PG-13] for fantasy action, creature violence, frightening images and some language.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycoolbrees09 March 23, 2011
not the best one, but still very good
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 6, 2011

BEST HARRY POTTER MOVIE

this was the 2nd best harry potter in the whole series
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bygumwithatwist March 5, 2011

Great Movie!

To make a long story short, we all loved the movie and book. It sends a good message and is very exciting. But don't show it to any children under the age of 7.
Teen, 14 years old Written byT-Rod January 2, 2011

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004); 141 min., imdb: 7.7

Well, they're what? 13? 14? *Sigh*, they grow up so fast. Well, there's no more kiddie stuff. This is where it get's dark, serious, and dramatic. Even though you'd have to be probably 13 or so to fully enjoy it, I think it's appropriate for 10+. pOSITIVE rOLE mODELS: Professor Lupin tries to help Harry fight off the Dementors, seeing as they can't seem to keep their cold, skeletal hands off him. He helps Harry and encourages patience, and when Harry gets upset over a recent failed "Patronum", Lupin tells Harry that it's nothing to be ashamed of. That it takes grown, powerful wizards YEARS to master, or even conjure up a "Patronum." Harry is forced to make big and mature decisions more than a couple times, and he always thinks it over, other than just letting his impulse and emotions speak for him. He usually handles situations of even dire peril maturely and doesn't bottle up his emotions inside. When something is wrong, if there's something he wants changed, he doesn't just mope and pout, he changes them. He is much more mature and faces his problems head on, other than before, in which cases he just seemed like a rebellious brat at times. pOSITIVE pIECES: Harry, Ron, and even Hermoine have to learn to get their priorities in check. Harry has to learn that he doesn't always have to be serious and on his guard for Voldemort, but also needs to balance family, friends, and school as well. He has to accept that things don't always go as planned, and that he sometimes has to think about others first. I the past two films, he and his friends just did whatever it took to get the job done, not thinking of how it would affect others, or how they felt. They carelessly put their lives in jeopardy, not even taking into account, "What would happen after Harry died?" There would be no way to stop Voldemort and the whole world would be doomed because they didn't think of the consequences of their actions. Hermoine needs to learn that she can't do everything at once, and that she needs to relax, that life is not ALL about studies, though they do play a big part of it. Facing your fears, avoiding superstition, and not jumping to conclusions are also some messages. vIOLENT vEIL: Not as bad as Chambers...but in all honesty, the Dementors gave me nightmares when I was 8. The Dementors are yet ANOTHER spirit-like, hoodied, "Boogeyman" that can easily get into your kids minds and give them plenty a scary night; Werewolves are present and attack our heroes; Also, a big, black dog known as "the Grim" is stalking Harry, and, quite frankly, makes Harry paranoid; Ron is fatally wounded on the leg; And, to add on to the Dementors, they suck the soul out of people with "the dementor's kiss". nYEH nONSENSE (oR sEXUAL sTUFF): Ron and Hermoine have an obvious romance and, dating or not(I forget), share one or two kisses. Including one make-out, I'm sure. oBSCENITIES aND oBSCENE pROFANITIES: A couple uses of bloody h*ll, two or three of the British term "git." One b*tch, and a few uses of d*mn. dRUG dANGERS: More than Hagrid(including a few students, I'm sure) drink Butterbeer. nEGATIVE rOLE mODELS: Malfoy lies to get a teacher in trouble, but it's looked at as negative. Harry blows up(like a balloon) his aunt...but she had it coming. cONCLUSION: This is darker and more mature in tone and storytelling than the other two films. Because of that, I would recommend it to anyone 13+, but anyone 10+ could handle it.
Kid, 11 years old September 21, 2010
I love the Harry Potter books! They are my favorite. But I give it an iffy for 10+ because number one; there is some love. Not really very innapropriate, and I don't mind, but some people might. Two; there is a lot of action and scary stuff. Again, I don't mind a bit, but others might. If you don't care about some love and like action/scaryness/some sadness, then this is the book for you.
Kid, 9 years old September 17, 2010

Not the best movie

It's not the best movie for kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySayuri796 September 3, 2010

10+

My favorite Harry Potter movie!!! Highlights: Good role models. Harry and Hermione try 2 save someone who is innocent. Concerns: A little violent. If u don't like violence, death, or demons, this is not 4 u. Also, some scary creatures.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelDanRivera August 4, 2010
Really great movie but not the best. i have no idea what the common sense has to say about it to me it was the same as the 2nd one a little violent for kids but not too violent. over all i give it a 84/100-best for ages 8+