All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Fantastic, but kids are older, themes are darker.

Kid, 10 years old June 29, 2011

Good for 7 year olds.

Ok. I was curios what common sense would say about this movie, so I searched it on their site. ON FOR AGE TEN? Seriously! I AM ten and I think it's iffy for six year olds! The only bad things about this movie are the dementors and a shrunken head says d*mn. But there are good things about this movie! The patronous charm is 100% not scary. And the ridiculus spell thing teaches people to not be afraid of their worst fears. It's a good life lesson. So if you have a seven year old who likes harry potter, lett'em watch this movie! If your six year old is not afraid of wizard violence, it's good for them.
Kid, 10 years old June 27, 2011

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

This movie is really good!!! PG- For Peril, Scary Images, some Fantasy Violence,a scene of Creature Violence, and some language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 18, 2011

The Prisoner of Azkaban redeems the Harry Potter saga.

After watching what I thought was the utter failure of The Chamber of Secrets, I was not looking forward to The Prisoner of Azkaban. After it was finished, I left the theater with an oddly impressed feeling. The story is full of dark undertones, but the magic is still there. The actors are improving substancially since The Sorcerer's Stone. I think what made the movie better was changing directors. Alfonso Cuaron ( who would go on to make Children of Men) took the director's chair from Chris Columbus and the change is noticeable and wanted. Note to parents: The dark undertones and some scary creatures make it a bit more violent and scary than its predacessors, yet it is okay for pre-teens and even some younger kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 April 6, 2011

Very good third movie.

My rating: PG [borderline with PG-13] for fantasy action, creature violence, frightening images and some language.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycoolbrees09 March 23, 2011
not the best one, but still very good
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 6, 2011

BEST HARRY POTTER MOVIE

this was the 2nd best harry potter in the whole series
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bygumwithatwist March 5, 2011

Great Movie!

To make a long story short, we all loved the movie and book. It sends a good message and is very exciting. But don't show it to any children under the age of 7.
Teen, 14 years old Written byT-Rod January 2, 2011

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004); 141 min., imdb: 7.7

Well, they're what? 13? 14? *Sigh*, they grow up so fast. Well, there's no more kiddie stuff. This is where it get's dark, serious, and dramatic. Even though you'd have to be probably 13 or so to fully enjoy it, I think it's appropriate for 10+. pOSITIVE rOLE mODELS: Professor Lupin tries to help Harry fight off the Dementors, seeing as they can't seem to keep their cold, skeletal hands off him. He helps Harry and encourages patience, and when Harry gets upset over a recent failed "Patronum", Lupin tells Harry that it's nothing to be ashamed of. That it takes grown, powerful wizards YEARS to master, or even conjure up a "Patronum." Harry is forced to make big and mature decisions more than a couple times, and he always thinks it over, other than just letting his impulse and emotions speak for him. He usually handles situations of even dire peril maturely and doesn't bottle up his emotions inside. When something is wrong, if there's something he wants changed, he doesn't just mope and pout, he changes them. He is much more mature and faces his problems head on, other than before, in which cases he just seemed like a rebellious brat at times. pOSITIVE pIECES: Harry, Ron, and even Hermoine have to learn to get their priorities in check. Harry has to learn that he doesn't always have to be serious and on his guard for Voldemort, but also needs to balance family, friends, and school as well. He has to accept that things don't always go as planned, and that he sometimes has to think about others first. I the past two films, he and his friends just did whatever it took to get the job done, not thinking of how it would affect others, or how they felt. They carelessly put their lives in jeopardy, not even taking into account, "What would happen after Harry died?" There would be no way to stop Voldemort and the whole world would be doomed because they didn't think of the consequences of their actions. Hermoine needs to learn that she can't do everything at once, and that she needs to relax, that life is not ALL about studies, though they do play a big part of it. Facing your fears, avoiding superstition, and not jumping to conclusions are also some messages. vIOLENT vEIL: Not as bad as Chambers...but in all honesty, the Dementors gave me nightmares when I was 8. The Dementors are yet ANOTHER spirit-like, hoodied, "Boogeyman" that can easily get into your kids minds and give them plenty a scary night; Werewolves are present and attack our heroes; Also, a big, black dog known as "the Grim" is stalking Harry, and, quite frankly, makes Harry paranoid; Ron is fatally wounded on the leg; And, to add on to the Dementors, they suck the soul out of people with "the dementor's kiss". nYEH nONSENSE (oR sEXUAL sTUFF): Ron and Hermoine have an obvious romance and, dating or not(I forget), share one or two kisses. Including one make-out, I'm sure. oBSCENITIES aND oBSCENE pROFANITIES: A couple uses of bloody h*ll, two or three of the British term "git." One b*tch, and a few uses of d*mn. dRUG dANGERS: More than Hagrid(including a few students, I'm sure) drink Butterbeer. nEGATIVE rOLE mODELS: Malfoy lies to get a teacher in trouble, but it's looked at as negative. Harry blows up(like a balloon) his aunt...but she had it coming. cONCLUSION: This is darker and more mature in tone and storytelling than the other two films. Because of that, I would recommend it to anyone 13+, but anyone 10+ could handle it.
Kid, 11 years old September 21, 2010
I love the Harry Potter books! They are my favorite. But I give it an iffy for 10+ because number one; there is some love. Not really very innapropriate, and I don't mind, but some people might. Two; there is a lot of action and scary stuff. Again, I don't mind a bit, but others might. If you don't care about some love and like action/scaryness/some sadness, then this is the book for you.
Kid, 9 years old September 17, 2010

Not the best movie

It's not the best movie for kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySayuri796 September 3, 2010

10+

My favorite Harry Potter movie!!! Highlights: Good role models. Harry and Hermione try 2 save someone who is innocent. Concerns: A little violent. If u don't like violence, death, or demons, this is not 4 u. Also, some scary creatures.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelDanRivera August 4, 2010
Really great movie but not the best. i have no idea what the common sense has to say about it to me it was the same as the 2nd one a little violent for kids but not too violent. over all i give it a 84/100-best for ages 8+
Teen, 17 years old Written bywaffles4waffles July 20, 2010
good movie scarier by far than the first two with the dementors and the werewolf at the end but now i dont care some language and good entertainment
Kid, 12 years old July 7, 2010
This is a great family film however is quite dark nd dim and could scare younger children. The story line is a bit deep so you must watch every little thing to make sure you understand it. The story line includes a murderer and may be too much for younger audience. I think this is one of the best Harry Potter films.
Kid, 12 years old July 1, 2010

Great Harry Potter movie: 11+

This was actually my favorite of the Harry Potter movies. Harry, Hermione, and Ron are all good role models kids can look up to. Thay are loyal to their friends, and really care for each other. THis movie is also more violent for a PG movie. The dementors are the main problem, because they are scary characters. Sirius Black might frighten young children before you find his true identity. And Lupin might be scary in warewolf form. The movie wouldn't be too bad for children if they have allready read the book, considering the director did a pretty good job staying true to the book. Prisoner of Azkaban is a little more dark than the previous two movies, but still very good.
Kid, 12 years old June 16, 2010

Harry Potter #3

Like All Harry Potter movies it is a little violent but not bad.
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2010

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Good Movies

Sorry about that last review. The only reason I gave it that was because I didn't read the full book, because it bored me at first, but now I feel right at home with it. The movie feels very brisk, especially after rewatching it, and I'm finding myself liking it a lot more now that I've done so AND read the book. Although, you won't really be able to follow the plot if you haven't read the book. I consider this movie to be among the good ones, and I highly recommend that you see it.
Kid, 10 years old June 8, 2010

really good, but sort of scary.

The only reason i said on for 7 is thats when i saw it. it really depends on how easily kids are scared. if their easily scared, this isnt for them. but if they can handle demons, werewolves, and murderes, they can see this. but if their under 7, the language is too strong with 2 or 3 uses of the h word and 2 d words.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytimmphy do June 7, 2010
best harry potter movie!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byIsItgoodORnot June 5, 2010

My favourite year.

This review was made prior to Deathly Hallows, but so far this is the best of them all.