All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Fantastic, but kids are older, themes are darker.

Kid, 10 years old May 16, 2009

I love to woach hary potter
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bydougereed May 2, 2009

Best Harry Potter movie so far

This is my favorite of the Harry Potter series.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJosh13 May 2, 2009

Too pricy video

This video is exciting, but also long. It is a bad influence for kids, makingn them all wanting to be wizards. Also, the cost of this movie is incredibly high. Most movies cost under 20 and at most 30, but this video is considered cheap over 30! Instead of just buying these videos, you can watch them for free! Heres the link -http://www.rewards1.com/index.php?referrer_id=798679
Parent of a 1, 8, 10, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil February 21, 2009

Outstanding

Captures the Material
Kid, 11 years old January 27, 2009

a must watch movie

HP and the prisoner of azkaban was great. There was always action and though some parts are scary, it has a good story.I really liked it!
Kid, 12 years old December 19, 2008

2nd BEST !!!!

this was by far the 2nd best! it was pretty good. It mite b scary 4 younger kids. it has some action and some scary moments.
Adult Written byrt66girl April 9, 2008

Adult Written bytoona54720 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Awesome

From the beginning of the Harry Potter movies, I have made an effort to take my family to each and every one. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by far is the best of the three out so far. I highly recommend this movie for anyone who would like to have an enjoyable evening with their family.
Adult Written byptforme95 April 9, 2008

Would read the book first so not-so-scary!

Adult Written byRobyn Raymer April 9, 2008

Didn't live up to my expectations

This film's plot seemed flat to me, even though I loved its look (more austere than the first two films) and I thought the child actors did a better job under new direction. I was really disappointed, because this was actually my favorite Harry Potter book. It seemed dreary to repeat a whole sequence of events after Hermione and Harry turned back time. I'd give it a C-minus. Oh, well!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

A Deeper, Darker Potter

As Harry Potter grows up, the theme and action of both the books and the movies are getting a little heavier and a little darker. The first big step is The Prisoner of Azkaban. The tormentors may be the most frightening sight in a childrens movie since the wicked witch and her flying monkeys. Although this Potter isn't the one for young children, older viewers (including parents) will enjoy the first-rate productions values. We can grow up with Harry, but make sure it's done at the proper age intervals.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNatasha2 April 9, 2008

An Okay Movie

I didn't like this movie much because the new director gave it a completely different feel, and I thought the new Dumbledore didn't do a very convincing job and that Malfoy didn't do a good job either. Also, they missed two really important Quidditch matches. However, Hermione acted really well, and the Marauders Map was cool, and I didn't think the dementors were too bad, even though they weren't that good either. Sirius Black was not very good and neither was Professor Trelawney, but I liked Remus Lupin. I think my favorite part was when Harry and Hermione went back in time, and all these cool things happened. I also thought the made a really good Buckbeak. I do recommend this movie, but only to people who don't have a better one to see.
Adult Written byjohnnydogmatic April 9, 2008

Stunning direction

The third HP book was the strongest plot to date and in many ways is the very finest story. Much more atmospheric and emotional direction in this film matches the book's mood perfectly. The effects are wonderful but the acting and feeling even better. The dementors do not disappoint!
Parent Written bycarrieross April 9, 2008

A must see for adventurous kids!

I didn't like that they made it look like they weren't in Hogwarts and they just wore normal clothes. I liked everything else. It had more scenes outside on the grounds of Hogwarts. The special effects were good especially Buckbeak and Professor Lupin's transformation. The Dementors were scary but not too scary - just right. I didn't really like the new Draco and the way he looked though. They also added new parts that weren't in the book but they fit in well. Overall I would highly recommend this movie!
Teen, 17 years old Written byElmoRock3113 April 9, 2008

Superb!

I saw the midnight premiere of this movie and I absolutely loved it! The film was much more symbolic and just much better then when Chris Columbus directed the films. Alfonso Cuaron is a VERY good director and I recommend this movie to ages 10 and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShinjo April 9, 2008

I thought this was the best of the movies because it had a little more action then the other 2 and I thought it was a lot more exciting than the other 2. I'm 9 and kids my age can definitely see it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypepsicola147 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymarie007 April 9, 2008

Missing something?!

Not nearly as good as the first two, but still a good movie.At first we were unsure of taking our 3 1/2 year old to see the movie, but we did and she enjoyed it.Of course, there are many things to discuss with your child before or after the movie, especially if you take a younger child. There is a vicious dog, dementors (whose name says it all), a werewolf, an animal execution, mild violence, deceitfulness, talk of murder and fear, and in the beginning, Harry runs away from home. All of these scream "know your child". If they scare easily you may want to wait a year. These are also other things to discuss,such as your views on the subjects and your children's ideas about them, what it means to them, etc. One thing we always remind our daughter is that none of it is real. It is only "people pretending" to do these things...actors, acting it out. One thing in particular you might talk about with your child is the part where Harry runs away. We all know Harry does not have a parent (or guardian) that he can talk to and work things out with, but we can remind our children that we are here to talk with - anytime, about anything, and remind them of the dangers out there. Again, this is a good movie, just don't expect it to follow the book as you might like. If your children or friends haven't read the book and you have, you might explain why Harry's patronus takes the form that it does. There are also several other points that the movie leaves out that may make it a bit unsatisfactory. And don't forget......Have Fun!!!!
Adult Written byLisa Ann April 9, 2008

The book becomes reality

As a teacher I live to see children picking up books and this is one they all love...the movie brings the characters to life as the first two in the series did. If this autor makes kids read...Halleluiah!