All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

First Potter movie is a magical ride but also intense.

Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2011

Good movie to start the Harry Potter series.

Very good movie with good introduction of Harry, his friends, and all the wizards and witches at Hogwarts. Wonderful account of Harry's adventure with the Philosopher's stone.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2011

A LIIITLE Scary but awesome

It is such a wonderful, enchanting and magical film- but I do find the man with two faces very scary. Although I haven't looked up at that part for 1 year, I still think it is too scary for me! Don't get me wrong though, it's an awesome film! The best of the series I think!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJamie and James March 15, 2010

Wait till' they're older. GREAT MOVIE!

You see, my kids don't watch a lot of movies, but sure enough, they loved the fantasy in this. Truth be told, I I probably love it more than them. Parents, kids won't really get into this movie until they're older than 7(probaby 9), but then you can't take them away from these movie-I know from experience.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byParatrooperWife October 19, 2009

Rare...parent with young kids who love this movie

I am one of the rare parents who allow my 4 and 6 year old kids to watch this and the first Harry Potter movies. The movies after these too are just WAY too intense for my kids and won't allow them to watch them until they are MUCH older. Socerer's Stone is one of the two I don't mind them watching. Yes, there are parts that parents should definitely talk to their kids about (death of Harry's parents, unicorn death, Voldemort's possession of Quirrel, Quirrel's death). Those parts and a few others our 4 year old still wants to have clarified when he watches. But he is obsessed with this movie! He and our daughter love the fantasy and magic of it all. I have made HUGE deal about all of it being pretend, just a story. My kids have embraced that and are able to enjoy movies like this without negative repercussions. I particularly like the fact that my 6 year old can see how strong and smart a girl Hermoine is compared to all the other characters. Again, I am the rare parent who knows what my children are able to deal with and understand. Parents...watch it first and decide for yourself!!!
Written byAnonymous June 2, 2013

Great Start

A great start to the Potter series. A little violence might be scary to younger children. Great family movie.
Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2011

Great...Great...Great:)

Great Movie! This one and the Last one is Defiantly my Favorites! This Shows where it all started and very little violence.. No Cursing.. and NO Sexy Stuff(: This Movie is Great for All Ages and I Recommend it so Anyone!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlbus Severus July 14, 2011

Great movie with scary parts for younger viewers.

Children under the age of 8 might find Voldemort scary and sensitive 8-10 year olds as well. This movie focus on bravery, love and friendship. There are some sad scenes with Harry dealing with the lose of this parents but mostly this is a fun film. This is one of my favorite movies from the series.
Educator and Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written bysrediaz March 10, 2011

Read the book, it is better

The books are much better than the movies. I do not really like the movies all that well. They had to cut too much out. My husband, who has not read the books, has trouble following the plot of the movies.
Kid, 12 years old August 10, 2010

Great movie

I first saw this movie when I was about 4 or 5. It was cool, and the best thing in the movie were (and still are) the chocolate frogs and candies. Firsty I didn't knew who were Harry Potter, Ron Weasley or Hermiona Granger, but later I found out. But I remembered a brave boy with scar, a silly red-haired boy and very clever girl. Though that, the book that screams was a bit frightening for me when I was 4 or 5.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byLB2010 May 7, 2010

Not too bad for younger viewers

I let my kindergartner watch this one HP movie -- the only one she gets to watch -- and only with me present, and I skip parts. I skip the part when Hagrid tells Harry about his parents' death. Oops one time she saw the 1-second bit about his mom getting killed -- and that child fretted on 'what happened? what happened to his mom?' for the rest of the night. So we skip that part now, even though she already knows about it. We definitely skip the latter 1/4 of the movie, like the scary Forbidden Forest scene with Voldemort and the unicorn, & definitely the bit about Prof Quirrell unwrapping his head scarf and the scary face of Voldemort appearing on the back of his head. Mostly it's a cute kids' film - life with the Dursleys is about as Cinderella as it gets, and Harry spends a lot of time exploring and discovering with his friends. Starting with Chamber of Secrets and onwards, I'm waiting until she's old enough to read and understand the books first.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byNiche March 7, 2010

Too loud and frantic in the tense moments for us

Our family does not like any of the Harry Potter movies. These movies are too frantic, tense, loud and packed full of so many busy special effects we all had a headache afterwards. Maybe we all enjoyed the books too much to like the movie versions.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 April 23, 2011

A Perilous Adventure

This movie isn't really vulgar enough to PG-13, but is bloody close to. It has kids cussing, perilous violence and just jerks all over the place. (Snape and Draco.)
Kid, 11 years old March 26, 2011

Good for 11+

I like all Harry Potter movies so I am doing a view of all of them here. The themes get darker as you go through the movies. The bad guys are bad role models and send bad messages but the good guys are good role models and send good messages. Some violence but no blood or gore. I you like fantasy movies and magic then the Harry Potter films sre for you.
Kid, 9 years old December 3, 2014

Can't Miss It

You have to watch this! I watched it first when I was five and I loved it. It's great for the whole family however the concept of Voldemort and his possessing Quirrell may scare very young children. It didn't really scare me, but it enchanted me. I do recommend reading the book before watching the movie, I did
Teen, 14 years old Written byOfficial Critic January 26, 2012

LEARNING

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Review

It's a great and magical start to the Harry Potter series. It's very faithful to the book - this should please fans of the book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 November 16, 2011

Harry's Debut Film is Fun For The Whole Family

The first Harry Potter movie is the best for little ones, and is a failry good start for viewing Fantasy Films. It is much less scary than the later movies. However some things you should know about before you watch it are (spoilers! Only read this if you're worried about your child) Violence-Voldemort kills Harry's mother during a flashback , and attempts to kill Harry. Scary Moments- Harry, Ron, and Hermoine's first glimpse of Fluffy can startle kids while he starts barking at them. One scene has a troll in a bathroom with Hermoine. However Harry and Ron stop him pretty easily. the first time we see a hooded figure of Voldemort in the Forbidden Forest he's drinking unicorn blood (this scene is scary),Harry Ron and Hermoine land into a strange plant that attempts to kill them, Harry finds out Professor Quirrel works for Voldemort and has him on the back of his head. (really scary for kids) Language- Draco Malfoy says a- as in human rear
Parent of a 9 year old Written bywhitt105 October 15, 2011

Intense and too violent for under 9/10 yrs.

Some scary moments- the 3 headed dog and ghost attack scene are the worst. As always, the books are better, but a great movie just the same. My almost 10 yr old loved it but stated she thought it may be too scary for younger kids.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byMamaLlama3 October 13, 2011

Great movie but more appropriate for older kids

I really enjoyed this movie. The books are much better, but the movies are still very fun. However, I don't think it's appropriate for my 7 (almost 8) year old. He has really enjoyed the books, but a book is usually only as scary as you make it with your own imagination....it's different when you see everything come to life on the big screen. The scene with Voldemort and the unicorn in the forest, Voldemort's face on the back of Prof. Quirrells' head, etc. Those are things that I think are still a little much for my son. I think I'll wait until he's a little older before I let him see this one.
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag August 26, 2011

First book adaption of the popular fantasy franchise became cult and is excellently made.

This is the first movie in the popular and excellent fantasy franchise "Harry Potter". For children and adults it is a magical and excellent book adaption (also if you have not read the books). The music of John Williams is great and the movie will touch you at the very heart. At the beginning, the movies were aimed at younger kids, and so this one is kind of harmless. The violence in this movie is not bad, but the end of the movie is scary and can give young viewers nightmare. So can the bit in the forest. You should be at least 8 if you want to watch this movie.
Adult Written bycourtsport April 29, 2011

perfect for all ages

this movie is perfect for all ages im 18 now but i grew up on these movies and books and i loved them and looking back now i believe that every kids should have the chance to see these exciting movies and should have the chance to fall in love with them just as millions already have.