All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

First Potter movie is a magical ride but also intense.

Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2011

Good movie to start the Harry Potter series.

Very good movie with good introduction of Harry, his friends, and all the wizards and witches at Hogwarts. Wonderful account of Harry's adventure with the Philosopher's stone.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJamie and James March 15, 2010

Wait till' they're older. GREAT MOVIE!

You see, my kids don't watch a lot of movies, but sure enough, they loved the fantasy in this. Truth be told, I I probably love it more than them. Parents, kids won't really get into this movie until they're older than 7(probaby 9), but then you can't take them away from these movie-I know from experience.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2011

A LIIITLE Scary but awesome

It is such a wonderful, enchanting and magical film- but I do find the man with two faces very scary. Although I haven't looked up at that part for 1 year, I still think it is too scary for me! Don't get me wrong though, it's an awesome film! The best of the series I think!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byParatrooperWife October 19, 2009

Rare...parent with young kids who love this movie

I am one of the rare parents who allow my 4 and 6 year old kids to watch this and the first Harry Potter movies. The movies after these too are just WAY too intense for my kids and won't allow them to watch them until they are MUCH older. Socerer's Stone is one of the two I don't mind them watching. Yes, there are parts that parents should definitely talk to their kids about (death of Harry's parents, unicorn death, Voldemort's possession of Quirrel, Quirrel's death). Those parts and a few others our 4 year old still wants to have clarified when he watches. But he is obsessed with this movie! He and our daughter love the fantasy and magic of it all. I have made HUGE deal about all of it being pretend, just a story. My kids have embraced that and are able to enjoy movies like this without negative repercussions. I particularly like the fact that my 6 year old can see how strong and smart a girl Hermoine is compared to all the other characters. Again, I am the rare parent who knows what my children are able to deal with and understand. Parents...watch it first and decide for yourself!!!
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byNiche March 7, 2010

Too loud and frantic in the tense moments for us

Our family does not like any of the Harry Potter movies. These movies are too frantic, tense, loud and packed full of so many busy special effects we all had a headache afterwards. Maybe we all enjoyed the books too much to like the movie versions.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 5, 2014

The Beginning of An Era

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is a lovely movie, it's filled with excitement and magical creativity. I think these are some of the best childrens' books and movies around because they teach good lessons, they have good role models and they teach people truths, not everyone who seems good is and not everyone who seems evil is either. This is the film that really kicked the franchise off and made it go mad in a good way, kids around the world and adults love it, and there's a reason. It's a good story, it's lovely, and it starts with a boy named Harry who lived under a cupboard, forgotten and shunned for being odd. He then ends up going to Hogwarts and his life begins, he makes friends, goes on adventures, attends class, he's learning and discovering things not only about himself and his family, but about his friends, his courses, the people around him in general. I wouldn't call any of the scenes in this movie frightening, the most frightening scene is a scene near the end, which doesn't last long, doesn't hold much violence and is quite tame.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byLB2010 May 7, 2010

Not too bad for younger viewers

I let my kindergartner watch this one HP movie -- the only one she gets to watch -- and only with me present, and I skip parts. I skip the part when Hagrid tells Harry about his parents' death. Oops one time she saw the 1-second bit about his mom getting killed -- and that child fretted on 'what happened? what happened to his mom?' for the rest of the night. So we skip that part now, even though she already knows about it. We definitely skip the latter 1/4 of the movie, like the scary Forbidden Forest scene with Voldemort and the unicorn, & definitely the bit about Prof Quirrell unwrapping his head scarf and the scary face of Voldemort appearing on the back of his head. Mostly it's a cute kids' film - life with the Dursleys is about as Cinderella as it gets, and Harry spends a lot of time exploring and discovering with his friends. Starting with Chamber of Secrets and onwards, I'm waiting until she's old enough to read and understand the books first.
Adult Written bycourtsport April 29, 2011

perfect for all ages

this movie is perfect for all ages im 18 now but i grew up on these movies and books and i loved them and looking back now i believe that every kids should have the chance to see these exciting movies and should have the chance to fall in love with them just as millions already have.
Educator and Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written bysrediaz March 10, 2011

Read the book, it is better

The books are much better than the movies. I do not really like the movies all that well. They had to cut too much out. My husband, who has not read the books, has trouble following the plot of the movies.
Kid, 12 years old August 10, 2010

Great movie

I first saw this movie when I was about 4 or 5. It was cool, and the best thing in the movie were (and still are) the chocolate frogs and candies. Firsty I didn't knew who were Harry Potter, Ron Weasley or Hermiona Granger, but later I found out. But I remembered a brave boy with scar, a silly red-haired boy and very clever girl. Though that, the book that screams was a bit frightening for me when I was 4 or 5.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byMamaLlama3 October 13, 2011

Great movie but more appropriate for older kids

I really enjoyed this movie. The books are much better, but the movies are still very fun. However, I don't think it's appropriate for my 7 (almost 8) year old. He has really enjoyed the books, but a book is usually only as scary as you make it with your own imagination....it's different when you see everything come to life on the big screen. The scene with Voldemort and the unicorn in the forest, Voldemort's face on the back of Prof. Quirrells' head, etc. Those are things that I think are still a little much for my son. I think I'll wait until he's a little older before I let him see this one.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bywhitt105 October 15, 2011

Intense and too violent for under 9/10 yrs.

Some scary moments- the 3 headed dog and ghost attack scene are the worst. As always, the books are better, but a great movie just the same. My almost 10 yr old loved it but stated she thought it may be too scary for younger kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlbus Severus July 14, 2011

Great movie with scary parts for younger viewers.

Children under the age of 8 might find Voldemort scary and sensitive 8-10 year olds as well. This movie focus on bravery, love and friendship. There are some sad scenes with Harry dealing with the lose of this parents but mostly this is a fun film. This is one of my favorite movies from the series.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byrlm10706 February 1, 2011

We love HP!!!

We are HUGE Harry Potter fans in our house. My husband and I have read the books at least 5 times each and we have seen the movies countless times... literally, I could not count the amount of times that I've seen them. Both of our kids have been watching Harry Potter since they were able to watch movies. There can be some scary parts, but that's why we watch with them. I think as long as you watch with your kids they will be fine. That way you can talk about anything that's a little scary for them.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymomonick February 25, 2010

Awesome!

A great first episode for a great series. My only concern is a little violence. I am 9 years old (mom is with me).
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMangoFlamingo December 6, 2009

Not bad, but read the BOOK first!

I liked the movie ok (and my 5 and 7 year old loved it) however the book is just SOOOOOO much better. I'd recommend reading the book first and THEN watching the movie
Parent Written bybillythefrog March 13, 2012

Great film but some may not like the "bloody" word

The "bloody" word is used in exclamation a few times which I am not happy about my six old hearing and he needs my company to watch the more scarey parts of the film which he loves.
Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2011

Great...Great...Great:)

Great Movie! This one and the Last one is Defiantly my Favorites! This Shows where it all started and very little violence.. No Cursing.. and NO Sexy Stuff(: This Movie is Great for All Ages and I Recommend it so Anyone!
Parent of a 8, 14, and 16 year old Written bymomofvt December 20, 2012

Read the books first

This is a beautiful film, but children should not watch it unless they have read the book. The books are amazing and this is a good gauge to see if your children are old enough to see the movies. Don't put someone else's images in their heads before they've had their own.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 November 16, 2011

Harry's Debut Film is Fun For The Whole Family

The first Harry Potter movie is the best for little ones, and is a failry good start for viewing Fantasy Films. It is much less scary than the later movies. However some things you should know about before you watch it are (spoilers! Only read this if you're worried about your child) Violence-Voldemort kills Harry's mother during a flashback , and attempts to kill Harry. Scary Moments- Harry, Ron, and Hermoine's first glimpse of Fluffy can startle kids while he starts barking at them. One scene has a troll in a bathroom with Hermoine. However Harry and Ron stop him pretty easily. the first time we see a hooded figure of Voldemort in the Forbidden Forest he's drinking unicorn blood (this scene is scary),Harry Ron and Hermoine land into a strange plant that attempts to kill them, Harry finds out Professor Quirrel works for Voldemort and has him on the back of his head. (really scary for kids) Language- Draco Malfoy says a- as in human rear