All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Parent of a 8 year old Written byuusarahmcg September 29, 2009

Great for getting my child to be interested in reading

I love that my daughter is crazy over Harry Potter and I give this movie all the credit for her reading level jumping from remedial to advanced last year. After seeing the movie, she was determined to read the book on her own and then started reading the second one. I love the messages of loyal friendship in this movie.
Parent Written byDeena K January 24, 2016

Super fun once you've read the book!

Such a fun movie and depicts the book perfect from a kids POV. There are scary parts in the is movie, but even the scene where Voldemort is revealed didn't scare my 7YO because he was expecting it based on having read the book. On the up side - the kids are great friends and show loyalty and integrity throughout the film (even when they are breaking every school rule.) I LOVE my son watching this film.
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written bykourtnip January 14, 2016
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byFamilyDad November 8, 2015

Nightmares Potential for Younger and/or "Sensitive"

My 8 year old had nightmares after watching this one, for several nights in a row. He had just finished reading the book, then watched the movie. The last scenes are very intense, and with frightening images. This intensity might be reduced by making sure to watch on a Saturday morning, with all the lights on, with the volume turned down, and with a parent or two near at hand.
Educator and Parent of a 10 year old Written bybeths3 March 8, 2015

Not appropriate for younger children

I think this movie is more appropriate for age 10 and above. There are many scenes that are too alarming and disturbing for younger children. Overall the movie was great but the scene where one of the bad main character's face dissolves was upsetting to my 10 year old.
Parent of a 8, 11, and 16 year old Written byBeverleyAnne December 20, 2014

Unpopular Opinion

Hello, first I would like to say I know this is probably a very unpopular opinion but I believe children should be brought into the Harry Potter world from a very young age. I let my oldest daughter X watch this on it's first release when she was 3. She has grown up not only intrigued but obsessed with the fantasy world of Harry Potter. Everything about the universe is great with positive role models to the characters learning lessons. Secondly I would like to say that the violence in this movie is not a problem and that my daughter (now 16) has not grown to become violent or extreme in any way. Sheltering kids up from Harry Potter is just as bad as letting them watch Twilight at any age. Let your kids watch Harry Potter! They are brilliant for all ages! -Bev (mother of 3)
Parent Written bythinkparent October 24, 2014

Ideal for age 6+, ok for less sensitive 5+ year olds if you skip Voldemort scene ...

This was a fabulous family movie and introduction for my almost 6-year old to the world of Harry Potter. We watched it together and I was careful to gauge his reactions and pause/skip the scenes that were troubling (such as the Voldemort reveal scene with Quirrel that was too creepy for my child - if you simply fast forward a few images, the rest was ok for him). I think a lot of the HP movies need parents to watch with their child so that you can provide context/description. Ages 7-8+ can probably watch solo, but if you watch with a 5-6 year old, stay on hand and know your child. I wouldn't push this on a very sensitive child, but it was perfect for my logical almost 6-year old who is very clear on difference between reality and fantasy world/magic so he was not that scared or affected. Potter's parents death is a very short recap scene, but could upset very sensitive children, my son was ok. The great thing was that this film sparked an interest in the book series which we read aloud (and selectively edit out too violent bits). Enjoy!!
Parent Written byrhondaveit July 7, 2014

Great books, good movie; but too scary for younger crowd

I use this site a lot for age recommendations for movies, but I think we're way off on this one. My 6 3/4 yr old and 8 1/2 yr old both had nightmares after watching this, and they're generally pretty stoic. They could handle the magic and monsters etc. but the two-faced Quirrell/Voldemort at the end was too much. If in doubt, I'd highly recommend watching it yourself first before subjecting your kid to it.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bySuzyken May 27, 2014

Reason it's PG

Great film, but has extremely scary graphics/content for young kids especially at 9 or 10 when they start to develop more fears and a sense of vulnerability. Helps to watch together and talk afterwards about positive messages of friendship and standing up for your beliefs. A lot of mixed messages of mis-treatment of kids, bullying behavior, and poor adult role models.
Adult Written bysusanna.zwerlin... March 16, 2014

great movie!!!

it's so good! you have to read the book though.the parts w/ VOLDEMORT are a bit scary for some kids.once you watch it, read and watch the other ones.(P.S. this was written by Abby, age 8.)
Parent Written bynmheller December 15, 2013

Enjoyable but intense

Good for nine year old son
Adult Written bykeving_65 August 6, 2013

Too scary / intense for little kids

I think the violence is a little much for 7 year olds - I would pause for 8 an under personally.
Adult Written byHarry Potter 1 June 7, 2013

A very faithful beginning.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a wonderful movie that does an outstanding job at bringing the excellent story of the book to life in a way faithful to the original material. The story unfolds in the same way in the movie as it does in the book so this is a very satisfying Harry potter movie. The casting is fantastic. In particular,Richard Harris was a PERFECT Dumbledore. Alan Rickman's performance as Snape was on an O+ level as well. And John Willams score for this movie is a treasure to behold. My favorite movie theme music ever! I go with 4 stars instead of 5 only because the visual effects were subpar (they would be fantastic in all 7 other HP movies). I strongly recommend this movie for people of all ages. There is NO sex or sexuality in this movie. There is no drug or tobacco use. There are 2 uses of mild profanity. Malfoy says the A word once and Ron says the H word once. All of the Violence in this movie is from creatures The iffiest parts of the movie are Fluffy and the Forbidden Forest scene. This movie is on for for Kindergarteners and older. And it's pause for those below Kindergarten. Nothing to make me say it's off for anyone.
Parent Written bySimmsMolly October 23, 2012

Think first :)

My youngest loves all the Harry Potters except the goblet of fire and she has been watching them since she was 6ish :)
Adult Written byHalfBloodPrincess August 9, 2012

First Movie is Tamer Than Later Ones

One thing you should know before letting your child watch Harry Potter is that they tend to get increasingly more violent and scary as the series progresses, as it was originally intended that you watch the first movie as a child and then mature with Harry and his friends. Once your child watches the Philosopher's Stone, they'll want to watch the rest, so you might want to hold off on the series if they're young. My eight-year-old brother had no problem with any of the movies, but if your little on is prone to nightmares, this might not be the series for them. There is a giant three-headed dog that tries to attack Harry, Ron, and Hermione, Harry and Draco find a dead unicorn, an ominous hooded figure tries to attack Harry (and had he succeeded, it's assumed he would have killed him) and, the scariest scene in the movie, Harry (accidentally) burns a character to ashes with his bare hands. Bad words are few and far between, but I think Ron uses a few "Bloody h*lls" throughout the course of the movie and Draco uses the word a*s once. Like the violence, the language gets a little worse later on in the series, but nothing too bad. I personally think that Harry and his friends are great role models for children, but they do tend to break the rules an awful lot. It's almost always for a good reason though, such as sneaking into a forbidden part of the school to save a magic stone from falling into the wrong hands. Ron can also be a bit of a jerk sometimes and Harry loses his temper once or twice during the series, but they are still brave, loyal and willing to do whatever it takes to triumph over evil, even if it means losing their own lives.
Parent Written byMy way of seeing it July 7, 2012

Age

If you trust your child they can watch this movie at a young age like 8. This movie would be too scary for kids under 8.
Adult Written bykoujokakyuu July 1, 2012

Harry Potter Chop Shop

Just wanted to say that while the film presents a neat take on Harry's world, the choice to omit certain passages is troubling to me. For example, Hermione's contribution with Snape's logic puzzle near the end is completely left out. What a disappointment! How often are young women valued for their brains? Answer: Not often enough!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 June 6, 2012

harry potter and sorcerers stone

Families can talk about the Harry Potter series. Do you like the books or movies better? What themes from the first in the series pop up again in later installments? What do you think about Harry and his friends going away to school? Would you ever want to do something like that?
Adult Written byjcorac19 May 1, 2012

I love this Movie and I watched it when I was only 4 and always wanted to be a witch:) If you don't want your kids to have an extraordinary imagination, then don't let them watch this:)
Adult Written byI_TellTheTruth March 23, 2012

Greatest Movie Of All Time :D

I adore Harry Potter. I could write a whole review on just how great the movie is, but that's not really what this site's for, is it? VIOLENCE: The movie can be very scary for young or sensitive kids. I remember being very scared of certain parts until I was older. There's a flashback to a (bloodless) murder, a ghost that pulls off his head (we see a red stump), a book with a face that jumps out of it and screams, a hooded figure drinking blood from a dead unicorn, a troll fight scene, and, of course, the ending scene ... this always scared me the most. A man is revealed to have a second face on the back of his head (and a very scary one at that)! In the same scene, the same man disintegrates when killed. LANGUAGE: Mild. There's at least one "bloody h-ll," one "d-mn," and one use of "fat a-s."