All parent member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJamie and James March 15, 2010

Wait till' they're older. GREAT MOVIE!

You see, my kids don't watch a lot of movies, but sure enough, they loved the fantasy in this. Truth be told, I I probably love it more than them. Parents, kids won't really get into this movie until they're older than 7(probaby 9), but then you can't take them away from these movie-I know from experience.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byParatrooperWife October 19, 2009

Rare...parent with young kids who love this movie

I am one of the rare parents who allow my 4 and 6 year old kids to watch this and the first Harry Potter movies. The movies after these too are just WAY too intense for my kids and won't allow them to watch them until they are MUCH older. Socerer's Stone is one of the two I don't mind them watching. Yes, there are parts that parents should definitely talk to their kids about (death of Harry's parents, unicorn death, Voldemort's possession of Quirrel, Quirrel's death). Those parts and a few others our 4 year old still wants to have clarified when he watches. But he is obsessed with this movie! He and our daughter love the fantasy and magic of it all. I have made HUGE deal about all of it being pretend, just a story. My kids have embraced that and are able to enjoy movies like this without negative repercussions. I particularly like the fact that my 6 year old can see how strong and smart a girl Hermoine is compared to all the other characters. Again, I am the rare parent who knows what my children are able to deal with and understand. Parents...watch it first and decide for yourself!!!
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byNiche March 7, 2010

Too loud and frantic in the tense moments for us

Our family does not like any of the Harry Potter movies. These movies are too frantic, tense, loud and packed full of so many busy special effects we all had a headache afterwards. Maybe we all enjoyed the books too much to like the movie versions.
Educator and Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written bysrediaz March 10, 2011

Read the book, it is better

The books are much better than the movies. I do not really like the movies all that well. They had to cut too much out. My husband, who has not read the books, has trouble following the plot of the movies.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byLB2010 May 7, 2010

Not too bad for younger viewers

I let my kindergartner watch this one HP movie -- the only one she gets to watch -- and only with me present, and I skip parts. I skip the part when Hagrid tells Harry about his parents' death. Oops one time she saw the 1-second bit about his mom getting killed -- and that child fretted on 'what happened? what happened to his mom?' for the rest of the night. So we skip that part now, even though she already knows about it. We definitely skip the latter 1/4 of the movie, like the scary Forbidden Forest scene with Voldemort and the unicorn, & definitely the bit about Prof Quirrell unwrapping his head scarf and the scary face of Voldemort appearing on the back of his head. Mostly it's a cute kids' film - life with the Dursleys is about as Cinderella as it gets, and Harry spends a lot of time exploring and discovering with his friends. Starting with Chamber of Secrets and onwards, I'm waiting until she's old enough to read and understand the books first.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 5, 2014

The Beginning of An Era

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is a lovely movie, it's filled with excitement and magical creativity. I think these are some of the best childrens' books and movies around because they teach good lessons, they have good role models and they teach people truths, not everyone who seems good is and not everyone who seems evil is either. This is the film that really kicked the franchise off and made it go mad in a good way, kids around the world and adults love it, and there's a reason. It's a good story, it's lovely, and it starts with a boy named Harry who lived under a cupboard, forgotten and shunned for being odd. He then ends up going to Hogwarts and his life begins, he makes friends, goes on adventures, attends class, he's learning and discovering things not only about himself and his family, but about his friends, his courses, the people around him in general. I wouldn't call any of the scenes in this movie frightening, the most frightening scene is a scene near the end, which doesn't last long, doesn't hold much violence and is quite tame.
Adult Written bycourtsport April 29, 2011

perfect for all ages

this movie is perfect for all ages im 18 now but i grew up on these movies and books and i loved them and looking back now i believe that every kids should have the chance to see these exciting movies and should have the chance to fall in love with them just as millions already have.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 7 year old Written byMamaLlama3 October 13, 2011

Great movie but more appropriate for older kids

I really enjoyed this movie. The books are much better, but the movies are still very fun. However, I don't think it's appropriate for my 7 (almost 8) year old. He has really enjoyed the books, but a book is usually only as scary as you make it with your own imagination....it's different when you see everything come to life on the big screen. The scene with Voldemort and the unicorn in the forest, Voldemort's face on the back of Prof. Quirrells' head, etc. Those are things that I think are still a little much for my son. I think I'll wait until he's a little older before I let him see this one.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byrlm10706 February 1, 2011

We love HP!!!

We are HUGE Harry Potter fans in our house. My husband and I have read the books at least 5 times each and we have seen the movies countless times... literally, I could not count the amount of times that I've seen them. Both of our kids have been watching Harry Potter since they were able to watch movies. There can be some scary parts, but that's why we watch with them. I think as long as you watch with your kids they will be fine. That way you can talk about anything that's a little scary for them.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymomonick February 25, 2010

Awesome!

A great first episode for a great series. My only concern is a little violence. I am 9 years old (mom is with me).
Parent of a 9 year old Written bywhitt105 October 15, 2011

Intense and too violent for under 9/10 yrs.

Some scary moments- the 3 headed dog and ghost attack scene are the worst. As always, the books are better, but a great movie just the same. My almost 10 yr old loved it but stated she thought it may be too scary for younger kids.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMangoFlamingo December 6, 2009

Not bad, but read the BOOK first!

I liked the movie ok (and my 5 and 7 year old loved it) however the book is just SOOOOOO much better. I'd recommend reading the book first and THEN watching the movie
Adult Written byjodybsummers July 23, 2015

If your kids scare easily, I would wait

We decided to give it a go with our 9 year old who frightens easily because she had grown out of a lot of her fears and had matured in the past year. The scene with the unicorns blood and the two faces at the end freaked her out pretty good. I would wait if you have kids that frighten easily.
Adult Written bydshush January 29, 2010
love it. best to watch the scary scenes on mute the first time for the younger crowd. and i think that there are some scary parts in the movie, especially in the second half, says n. and snape is very snape-ish, says m. we really imagined snape like this.
Adult Written byHarryPotter April 9, 2008

LOVED IT!!!

I LOVE THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS AND MOCIES AND GAMES SO MUCH! I know that I'm an adult but I still find this series so interesting. Very well done.
Parent of a 8, 14, and 16 year old Written bymomofvt December 20, 2012

Read the books first

This is a beautiful film, but children should not watch it unless they have read the book. The books are amazing and this is a good gauge to see if your children are old enough to see the movies. Don't put someone else's images in their heads before they've had their own.
Parent Written bybillythefrog March 13, 2012

Great film but some may not like the "bloody" word

The "bloody" word is used in exclamation a few times which I am not happy about my six old hearing and he needs my company to watch the more scarey parts of the film which he loves.
Parent Written byannabirdie October 7, 2011

Too gory for young kids.

I was excited to watch this with my kids who were really enjoying the book, and the beginning was great. Well portrayed characters and an exciting storyline. From the "lost in the woods" scene and onwards I pretty much had to fastforward so as not to allow my kids to be terrified beyond belief! The scene with the "dead and bloodied unicorn" also includes a shot of Voldemort bent over drinking the unicorns blood! How gross. The scene where Voldemort is unmasked is absolutely terrifying and extremely dark and gratuitously violent. My kids were worried about Harry and why his face was all bloody. This kind of gore really ruined a nice movie for us.
Adult Written byMusicgirl23 July 1, 2011

10 is a good age to start...

Perhaps I am somewhat old-fashioned as a 20-year-old, but having seen this movie when I was 11, I feel that a rating of 10+ is appropriate, just like I feel that is about the right age for starting to read the books (especially as they are all in print). The reason I feel this way is in part because, once they get started, it will be hard for them to stop, and I DEFINITELY would not recommend anything past book three for younger than 10! Plus, I feel that fantasy needs to be approached carefully, especially if your religion looks at things like witchcraft in a negative fashion. It can be hard for young children to realize that little of what happens on the big screen is possible in real life, and it's easier to wait until they are able to seperate them.
Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written bykptown December 12, 2010

fine movie, a little scary

We should have waited to see this movie for at least another year, until they were 9. It was just too much for my sensitive 8 year old AND my NON-sensitive 8 year old. Its a fine movie, but they were both disturbed by the peril and icky moments.