All member reviews for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2011

Good movie to start the Harry Potter series.

Very good movie with good introduction of Harry, his friends, and all the wizards and witches at Hogwarts. Wonderful account of Harry's adventure with the Philosopher's stone.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2011

A LIIITLE Scary but awesome

It is such a wonderful, enchanting and magical film- but I do find the man with two faces very scary. Although I haven't looked up at that part for 1 year, I still think it is too scary for me! Don't get me wrong though, it's an awesome film! The best of the series I think!
Kid, 12 years old August 10, 2010

Great movie

I first saw this movie when I was about 4 or 5. It was cool, and the best thing in the movie were (and still are) the chocolate frogs and candies. Firsty I didn't knew who were Harry Potter, Ron Weasley or Hermiona Granger, but later I found out. But I remembered a brave boy with scar, a silly red-haired boy and very clever girl. Though that, the book that screams was a bit frightening for me when I was 4 or 5.
Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2011

Great...Great...Great:)

Great Movie! This one and the Last one is Defiantly my Favorites! This Shows where it all started and very little violence.. No Cursing.. and NO Sexy Stuff(: This Movie is Great for All Ages and I Recommend it so Anyone!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlbus Severus July 14, 2011

Great movie with scary parts for younger viewers.

Children under the age of 8 might find Voldemort scary and sensitive 8-10 year olds as well. This movie focus on bravery, love and friendship. There are some sad scenes with Harry dealing with the lose of this parents but mostly this is a fun film. This is one of my favorite movies from the series.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 April 23, 2011

A Perilous Adventure

This movie isn't really vulgar enough to PG-13, but is bloody close to. It has kids cussing, perilous violence and just jerks all over the place. (Snape and Draco.)
Kid, 11 years old March 26, 2011

Good for 11+

I like all Harry Potter movies so I am doing a view of all of them here. The themes get darker as you go through the movies. The bad guys are bad role models and send bad messages but the good guys are good role models and send good messages. Some violence but no blood or gore. I you like fantasy movies and magic then the Harry Potter films sre for you.
Kid, 9 years old December 3, 2014

Can't Miss It

You have to watch this! I watched it first when I was five and I loved it. It's great for the whole family however the concept of Voldemort and his possessing Quirrell may scare very young children. It didn't really scare me, but it enchanted me. I do recommend reading the book before watching the movie, I did
Teen, 14 years old Written byOfficial Critic January 26, 2012

LEARNING

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Review

It's a great and magical start to the Harry Potter series. It's very faithful to the book - this should please fans of the book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 November 16, 2011

Harry's Debut Film is Fun For The Whole Family

The first Harry Potter movie is the best for little ones, and is a failry good start for viewing Fantasy Films. It is much less scary than the later movies. However some things you should know about before you watch it are (spoilers! Only read this if you're worried about your child) Violence-Voldemort kills Harry's mother during a flashback , and attempts to kill Harry. Scary Moments- Harry, Ron, and Hermoine's first glimpse of Fluffy can startle kids while he starts barking at them. One scene has a troll in a bathroom with Hermoine. However Harry and Ron stop him pretty easily. the first time we see a hooded figure of Voldemort in the Forbidden Forest he's drinking unicorn blood (this scene is scary),Harry Ron and Hermoine land into a strange plant that attempts to kill them, Harry finds out Professor Quirrel works for Voldemort and has him on the back of his head. (really scary for kids) Language- Draco Malfoy says a- as in human rear
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag August 26, 2011

First book adaption of the popular fantasy franchise became cult and is excellently made.

This is the first movie in the popular and excellent fantasy franchise "Harry Potter". For children and adults it is a magical and excellent book adaption (also if you have not read the books). The music of John Williams is great and the movie will touch you at the very heart. At the beginning, the movies were aimed at younger kids, and so this one is kind of harmless. The violence in this movie is not bad, but the end of the movie is scary and can give young viewers nightmare. So can the bit in the forest. You should be at least 8 if you want to watch this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 April 6, 2011

A solid but unfaithful start to the saga.

My rating: PG for some fantasy action and scary images. Positive Messages: 3/5 - Says to stay true to your friends, but has trouble making that clear, at times. Positive Role Models: 2/5 - Some, but no definitively positive ones. Violence: 2.5/5 - Some potential scariness, including a flashback to the murder of Harry's parents. The violence, however, is limited to a bloodless and slightly comical troll attack, and wizards playing "Quidditch" roughly. Sex: 0/5 - None. Language: 1/5 - Mild British slang, i.e. "bloody hell" and "peabrain". Consumerism: 5/5 - It is, after all, the highest-grossing franchise. Drugs & Drinking: 1/5 - A pub is shown, but nobody is shown actually drinking.
Kid, 12 years old August 18, 2010

Amazing movie you have to see!

I love this movie!! It's one of my favorites! The cast is so young in this movie and the story is great. I've read the books and it was a great transfer from book to movie. If you haven't read the books you should before you see the movie. The only parts iffy for kids are the end, where Harry fights voldemort, and I personally think that when Hagrid is telling Harry about voldemort the flashback is a little scary. At least it was when I was younger. Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone is a total must see.
Teen, 16 years old Written byspudsandbeans42 April 9, 2008

Overall - Mild content

Violence: Mild - There is a scene of a dead unicorn being consumed by a hooded figure (the figure's mouth is revealed to be dripping with silver blood) but nothing is glorified and the sequence takes place in the shadows where not much is seen. There is also a brief confrontation where a wand is forcefully stuck up a magical creature's nose in order to disarm it and a further confrontation with violent chess pieces. All scenes are handled with a mild intensity. Sex/Nudity: None. Horror - Mild - Themes of death are handled briefly in flashback and in a scene where a hooded figure appears to be slowly consuming a unicorn (this is, however, brief and within the context of fantasy). Characters are menaced/attacked by a variety of supernatural creatures. Language: Very mild - Terms like 'bloody hell' and 'damn' are used infrequently. Drugs/Alcohol: None. Overall: Mild themes. There are a variety of scenes in this film that may scare younger children (especially if shown on a big screen) however all but one of these scenes is fantastical in nature and probably won't cause confusion or require explanation. The final confrontation between the film's villain and the main character occasionally strays into moderate territory in terms of horror but there is nothing that is unsuitable for children aged around 10 years old. There is a mild amount of violence in the film which children are unlikely to be concerned with/influenced by and the film contains only very mild language.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBookworm_96 April 30, 2011

Love them all!!!

I think that this movie was so well done and is one of the best movies based after a book. It followed the story line almost perfectly and carried on throughout the series. I recommend it to everyone who hasn't seen it already!
Kid, 10 years old March 24, 2011

Always watch this one first before watching the other harry potter movies

Loved it!!! Not scary at all , a little violent but awesome!!!!! It's always a good time to watch this one to learn about the whole series! I don't mean to be rude but harry potter looked very cute when he was youung like the 1st 2 he looked cute, Sorry I had to say that. Anyway, Harry potter, STILL THE BEST MOVIE, GAME, BOOK IN THE UNIVERSE!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byXemnasSuperior March 10, 2011

Ah the first

The classic first Harry Potter never gets old and the only thing I hated was the Dursleys.
Teen, 17 years old Written byUgli Chic January 4, 2011

"This is just the beginning!"~ Count Dooku :)

What can I say? I was blown away by how real the whole story seemed. Special effects: the Hogwarts grounds, magical spells, creatures, and Quidditch were amazing. The actors were so talented to do this movie, because most of the stuff they did was special effects, unseen. A couple bad words here and there. If you have younger children, be careful or avoid some of the darker scenes where the main characters nearly get killed by monster creatures or the main bad guys. **SPOILER ALERT** Also an issue involving one of the professors getting possessed by the bad guy's spirit, Voldemort. Parasitic relationship with Voldemort's face on the back of the professor's head, gaining sustanance from his body. Otherwise, very masterfully done. I felt I could relate to the characters a lot, and the music was beautiful.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypancake007 January 5, 2010

One or two concerns, but that doesn't take away from the rest of the movie.

There is one instance (Draco talking to Harry about Neville during the flying lesson) where there is a slight language concern. And with this series, there is and will be violence, because they are in a war. When this movie first came out (I was in the 1st or 2nd grade) the forest scene with Voldemort in the cloak scared me a little, but this is the movie that really started me reading. I would suggest this movie to anyone and everyone who asked.
Kid, 9 years old January 2, 2009

It's Good

It's not as good as the book but it's a great movie!They chose really good people to play the main people! It's not boring at all