All member reviews for Heaven Is for Real

Extremely earnest drama explores issues of family and faith.

Kid, 12 years old April 20, 2014

Scary.......

I was in the movie theater plugging my ears as Colton's father collapsed due to kidney stones and when he fractured his foot in a softball game AND when Colton and Cassie where in the bathroom throwing up.I also plugged them when Todd was passing thses kidney stones. Even though I'm 12 years old, I don't think I was ready to see this movie....... I also learned that I am very sensitive to violent scenes.
Teen, 15 years old Written byManOfMidNights April 25, 2014

Not a bad movie.

I'm one of those people who gets dragged into movie theaters for not only every movie, but especially every god movie. My parents call me an atheist if I don't go to these movies, despite the fact that I'm pretty close to agnostic. I can honestly say that out of the 4 god movies that I have seen recently, I could safely say that it is one of the top two. The story is quite depressing at times, and the themes are not really for kids. I guess taking a kid to a movie like this is understandable, if only for the morals, but don't be surprised if your kid gets upset or maybe even disturbed at some of the adult themes in it (death, injury, mourning, and doubt). Speaking of morals, the morals are great. Everybody's belief on their religion is slightly different but basically the same, but the movie shows that when a person has experienced something that's description attempts to alter the current system of popular belief, despite how happy and simple the new concept suggests it to be, it causes a lot of confusion and doubt about what is real and what's not based on past and present. If you want to take your kids to the movie to see that, go ahead, but heed my warning that it might disturb some younger viewers. Also, I'm actually not going to select any of the "Too Much Violence" or "Too Much Sex" icons to represent my review's overall point, as it really does;t have that stuff. It's just pretty sad and has some plot points that you may think your child shouldn't really be exposed to yet.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhiphoph May 9, 2014

Heaven is for Real

Heaven is for Real had some more mature topics, even as it was advertised to be a family movie. The child's father fractures his leg (you can hear a snapping sound), and later screams in pain while passing kidney stones. That father is both a pastor and a firefighter. We see him bursting into a burning building, along with seeing him praying for a dying man. A woman mourns over the death of her son (which occurred before the time frame of the film). The main couple had a miscarriage in the past. A young boy almost does during surgery, and a young girl punches two kids. As for sexual scenes, a married couple kiss and the woman whispers something suggestive to her husband. This film was very good. The little boy was adorable and did a great job acting for one so young. The film shows how everyone can struggle with faith. Even people on the church board, and the pastor himself doubts that the boy went to heaven, even as they preach about it. It has a powerful message.
Educator and Parent Written byMovie Review Maven June 1, 2014

Family friendly

Movie Title: Heaven Is for Real PG, 1 hour 40 minutes Grade: B In a Nutshell: This is a simple movie with a simple message, and yet it is very powerful. Perfectly timed for Easter, this faith-building film is based on the New York Times best-selling book Heaven Is for Real by Todd Burpo, the father of a boy who saw heaven during a hospital operation when he was only four years old. I heard a recent interview with the “real” Colton and his dad on the radio. Colton is now a teenager. He continues to share his simple message that heaven IS for real. I thought it was interesting that Colton’s parents (in real life) had such a hard time believing their son, especially considering Todd Burpo was a pastor and his wife was a believer. I suppose it’s easy to believe IN Jesus Christ, but harder to believe Jesus. What this film does well is get Christians to really think through what they believe, rather than try to convince non-Christians to believe. Uplifting theme: Heaven is real. God is real. We live after this life. When Todd Burpo gave his final sermon at the end of the movie at church, the notes that he used were only a few bullet points: “Only faith heals wounds” and “God is love.” Things I liked: I’ve always loved Thomas Haden Church ever since he was a young actor in the old TV show WINGS - Seasons 1 & 2 Greg Kinnear always gives a solid, charming performance. The Burpo’s friend, Nancy Rawling, had a beautiful indoor garden filled with flowers and lovely plants. Nancy is played by Margo Martindale, who always does a great job as a believable character. I loved the conversation Nancy and Todd had at the cemetery about their sons. It was truly touching and profound. Connor Corum, who played the young Colton Burpo, did a fantastic job and was absolutely adorable. He has a bright future in Hollywood. I loved the scene when Colton casually mentions to his mother that he saw his unborn sister in heaven. Tears streamed down the mothers face, as well as mine. I had several miscarriages and shared the pain and sorrow that Sonja Burpo felt. My heart ached for my little unborn babies. After my first miscarriage, I found a book that really helped my heart to heal. The author (Sarah Hinze) and I are now Facebook friends! It’s called Life Before Life : A Collection of Mothers’ Experiences With Their Pre-born Children. Since then, Sarah has written several other books about life before life that are very inspiring. I have read many life after life books based on people’s near death experiences, but Sarah’s books take us on a journey in the opposite direction that provide insights that teach us that this mortal life is only a part of the whole story. The movie is about what Colton saw in heaven, but it also illustrates how precious this time on earth is. Things I didn’t like: I was proud of the child actors for holding that tarantula, but I certainly wouldn’t do that for a sticker! EEK! I think British actress Kelly Reilly is so beautiful and feminine, but her singing voice didn’t add anything, unless director Randall Wallace was going for a home-towny feel for the church with small talent, but big heart. David Blaustein from ABC News Radio recently said about the movie “The earnest performances aren’t enough to elevate the vanilla narrative from a faith-based film that will only preach to the choir.” While I tend to agree, the movie still made me cry and reflect on the wonder of life and death. Inspiring lines: “If heaven is for real, wouldn’t we all live different lives?” – Todd Burpo Did Colton go to heaven? Yes. He saw the heaven Jesus wanted him to see.” – Todd Burpo “God crushed my pride and opened my heart to love and all I have to do. The one thing love requires is to let others know they’re not alone.” - Todd Burpo “You don’t have to save the world, Todd. I believe that’s already been done.” – Nancy Rawling Todd Burpo (played by Greg Kinnear) explains to his son that some people might be afraid of what Colton said he saw in heaven. “What are they afraid of?” asks the innocent Colton. His dad replies “That there might be a heaven or that there might not be.” Colton’s sister punched a kid at school who was making fun of her brother . Her parents encouraged her to be more Christian and “turn the other cheek.” Cassie says “I DID turn his other cheek when I hit him.” Things to look for: Every time there is a scene that takes place in the church, blue is a prominent color. Of course, the wall behind the podium is blue, but so is the pastor’s shirt, the children’s choir bows, and many of the other people’s clothing. I suppose director Randall Wallace wanted to use blue to depict a calming, heavenly color. I loved the cool birdhouse in their yard and the view from their home in the heartland of Nebraska. Things we learn about heaven through Colton’s experience: "Jesus has a horse." Angels have a sense of humor and laugh. "In heaven, everybody’s young" "Nobody wears glasses in heaven." People are always singing in heaven. You feel love and peace. Tips for parents: This movie is very family-friendly and a safe place to begin a discussion about death with your children.
Teen, 13 years old Written byzebra_16 July 27, 2014

Just as good as the book, but contains some mature topics and sad scenes.

This was an amazing movie, but it had some scary/sad scenes. These include the loud snap of the father breaking his leg, the father passing kidney stones, the father running into a burning building, the father praying with a dying man, Coten and Cassie vomiting, and Coten in the operating room. It also had some scenes that may be confusing for little ones; for example there are a few scenes where the parents are talking about bill issues. However if your are 11 and older (and you are not scared easily) you must go see this movie.
Parent Written byMomma of 3 May 18, 2014

LOVED IT!

I really loved this movie and I think it is an important movie for kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJodieChupp July 2, 2014
Its definitely one of the good movies too see. I went with a few of my friends for my birthday and we all cried because it was just that good.
Parent Written byBands123 May 18, 2014
Educator and Parent Written byKnitpicky July 13, 2014

Hallucinations Do Not Mean Truth

I think this is inappropriate for people who can not discern truth from fiction. This movie (and the book) basically tell about parent-prompted hallucinations a young boy had during a near-death experience. Nothing about these so-called reports of heaven actually fit with the biblical descriptions of heaven and, thus, this telling is heretical. Watch it if you want, but don't take it as truth, don't use it for evangelism and use discernment!
Kid, 9 years old August 14, 2014

Pensive, but heartwarming.

Colton, being a real child, is astonishing, and he deserved a film like this. Being completely honest, nothing technically inappropriate is in the film. I personally believe it is still for a slightly older crowd only because younger people may not understand the message of particular belief brought through in the movie, and that living on the operating table can be called a miracle. Now, let me ask you this, can you start believing in miracles by seeing something like this happen? I have no idea! It's all up to you, so either see the film or read the book, and then ask that question, and I guarantee you will be surprised by the answer.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymikethespike451 July 15, 2015

Cheesy and dumb!

Im not a atheist but this movie was very cheesy and very dumb! It's very obvious that 99% of the film was scripted and none of that stuff happened in real life! This movie was sooooooo cheesily christian! The kid only hallucinated, Heaven was never described like that in the Bible, when that girl with the painting of Jesus was on TV it was obvious that the kid lied about saying that was how Jesus looked like, you can so tell that it was fake because it was so cheesy, kid just looking for attention. It is so obvious that that kid lied about his soul going to heaven! He probably wanted attention like usual young kids since his family were in a struggle! Also, I don't understand how the family couldn't afford anything but yet they can afford the stuff they have and the house they have? I wish I had that house and my family aren't even struggling financially! Dumb movie!
Parent of a 10, 12, 15, and 17 year old Written bycome to pa pa May 12, 2014

kid takes a wild ride to heaven

this movie is a good movie it has a pinch of comdey but good
Kid, 8 years old May 14, 2015

Extremely disturbing/sad drama is all about life, and death.

My rating PG-13 for: some violence, extreme disturbing images, and some language.
Kid, 12 years old January 24, 2015

Heaven is For Real

I loved this movie. I'm a strong Christian and it teached me things I believe Christians should know. It's cute. It's clean. No language. No reason to say no. It's for 9 year olds, because of the maturity of the film. There are adult sequences like in Heaven Colton finding out he had a second sister. Love Ya Jesus!
Written byAnonymous December 11, 2014

Fantastic movie about Heaven is a great pick for familes

This life changing movie has a hospital sequence (not that graphic) and a woman talks about how her son died in the war and "damn" is heard in a song and "hell" is also heard and Todd is called an "anvil" but all in all this movie changed my life and it will change yours too!
Written byAnonymous October 4, 2014

Heartbreaking drama is fine for young tweens

My rating:PG for thematic elements,a scene of surgery and medical situations
Teen, 13 years old Written byTARDIS Tourist December 28, 2015

This religous movie is great.

A kid has a close-to-death experience and survives and experiences Heaven briefly.
Kid, 12 years old October 16, 2015

Best movie ever!

One of the best movies I have ever seen! I love iy
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew August 8, 2015
Teen, 15 years old Written byCHB_FF5fan June 14, 2015

heaven is for real

its very up lifting but depressing in areas and a little gory but very little its a good movie but any one under 10 should not see this movie unless they are prepared for a little heartbreak