All member reviews for Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Poignant transsexual musical brims with wit, adult themes.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bylikethewatch February 23, 2011

For parents and teens who like gay musicals

The mythology that Hedwig borrows for "The Origin of Love" positively interprets queer experiences of longing, love, and identity as natural and equal to the experiences of straight people. I recommend this for adolescents who are curious about queer lives: their parents, their friends, their own. It is a musical, a love story, a bildungsroman (I love the irony of this), and a piece of modern mythology.
Teen, 17 years old Written byhamstergurl09 September 1, 2011

Total Indie Film; Totally Amazing

WHOA. "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" rocked my world. This movie is SO good. It's refreshing to see a musical/ movie with not only an original plot, but brilliant songs and phenomenal acting. John Cameron Mitchell is amazing as Hedwig, and the other actors are awesome, too. This movie is ripe with symbolism, as most indie films are. You could write an entire analytical essay on the last ten minutes of the film alone. The ending is very much open to interpretation, and extremely symbolic, so much so that I was actually pretty confused while I was watching it. I would recommend this movie for people at least 15 (I just saw it today and I'm 14, even though my profile says 17, that was a mistake). Some people will probably be uncomfortable with this movie's subject matter, since the main character is a transsexual with a botched sex change operation. There's swearing and some sexual stuff, and a brief shot of male nudity shown from behind. This movie has very positive messages, a lot about love and discovering who you really are. "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" is brilliant; I definitely recommend this movie. Also, if you ever get the opportunity to see the live show version, that's excellent too.
Teen, 13 years old Written byabsolutepleasure February 3, 2013

Great film, just not for kids and younger teens. ^^

The film has some really catchy tunes and is even kind of inspiring, it's just not for younger teens and children. I'd suggest 15 and up because of the sexual scenes, profanity and alcohol use.