Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Hellboy

Extreme gore, language in comic book movie reboot.

Parent of a 18+ and 18+ year old Written bynuenjins July 24, 2019

Surprisingly well done and interesting throughout. Way more gore and horror from older version.

People tend to see the previous films through rose colored nostalgia glasses. I personally think this is, by far, the best Hellboy movie. The comparisons and the promotions highlighted the differences and the worst versions of the makeup and did not do this movie justice. This is way more gritty, gory and adult, but it is also more action packed, true to the comic story and better paced with a satisfying plot that doesn't plod along. All said this movie would have been a hit if it wasn't for the nostalgia backlash and early presumptions, and because of that I'm pretty sur ewe won't get a sequel, which is actually a shame as I think this was a worthy reboot and way too scrutinized. Keep in mind though, this is an action horror movie with all the disturbing and disgusting elements of the genre, so for anyone thinking "Marvel" or "superhero" , this may be offputting very quickly with the amount of gore and abhorent demonic story. Definitely not for everyone.
Adult Written byCpkjdwr April 19, 2019

Worst version of Hellboy ever made

Terrible movie. They should of made it as the original Hellboy's son. It being a different actor for Hellboy ruined the movie.
Adult Written byreversetimelordian1 April 20, 2019

Not appropriate for children

Hellboy is an extremely dark, bloody, and gory film with disturbing imagery. The film, however, has pacing issues, and multiple jokes teenagers would find funny. I'd recommend to not bring children to this gorefest of a film though due to some particular scenes in the film (e.g. as seen in the trailer, a film gets skinned and sliced in half by a demon, while another shot of the trailer shows a person getting impaled by a demon's leg).

Adult Written byNeon 999 April 14, 2019

Enjoyably bad

Helllboy is terribly incompetent. The plot is pointless, characters have no depth, the humor sucks, cg sucks, editing is garabge and it's so painfully edgy with it's excessive gore and language to the point where it's almost self aware ( almost being the key word) however tje action is fairly enjoyable and theres a few interesting shot but thats about it. Adults only
Adult Written byRhyley grant April 11, 2019
It's extremely violent and very gore the word f--k used throughout the movie deffintly over 18+
Adult Written byGeminiLAP12 July 27, 2019

Dark, gritty, and gory! Enjoyable movie!

I don't get the bad reviews, honestly. I've seen and liked both Hellboy film versions. David Harbour did the role justice, just as Ron Perlman did before. This version is definitely darker and gorier...if you're into that, then you'll dig this movie. My 13 year old son was going to watch this with us but changed his mind at the last minute. I'm kinda glad about that because I think it would've been a bit much for him as far as the gory visuals go anyway (he's not into horror movies, and the gore factor in this film is right up there). There are a handful of F-bombs, and a few other cuss words throughout, but nothing our 13 year old hasn't heard before. The language isn't really a huge deal, but the violence and gore may be too much for some younger people, so just keep that in mind.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byLeofilmer June 30, 2019

Dark, scary, bloody, disgusting. Only for adults.

This movie is just a nightmare. Horrible. Good adventure but it's so violent that ends up Restricted horror movie.

Adult Written bymoviecrticsz June 27, 2019

Horrible reboot full of boring sequences

Terrible boring doesnt make even a little sense. 13/100

Parent of a 13 year old Written byayej2 April 25, 2019

Stick to the original

I think for a reboot this movie is good discard the violence and everything else it was ok

Adult Written bytbsWatcher April 22, 2019

Not for everyone!

This Hellboy is a little to dark for movies and as much as i love Milla Jovovich, they could have picked someone else to play the witch. She just doesn't have the dark , "evil destroy all humanity" needed for this roll. I guess my big problem with Hellboy is, for the "Son of the fallen one" you'd think he'd not get his ass handed to him so much. When Perlmans Hellboy was taking a knock down u were given the feeling that he just underestimated his attacker, got up got angry then did his beat down. Don't get me wrong Perlman had his flaws but his Hellboy was created for a wider age group and I think they did a pretty good job. If you want dark Hellboy stick to the comics. If ur going to put him on screen ur going to limit ur audience and most likely loose money.
Adult Written byGrreeeenn April 18, 2019

Feel like trailer spoiled the entire movie

Trailer:
Really spoiled the entire movie for me, I could effortlessly predict the whole thing and pair that with the main character can’t die trope, the movie was almost unenjoyable.
Adult Written byOctaneless April 17, 2019

Not way to gory and no innoproprient scenes

Good
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byA Caring Mother April 14, 2019

Adult Written bySam Marrick April 11, 2019

Fun but sloppy (in more ways than one).

It doesnt have the natural worldbuilding and storytelling of Del Toro's movies. Expect LOTS of clunky exposition and clumsy handling of themes and character motivations. Also the hero this time around is more charicaturized and one note than Perlman's nuanced and heartfelt portrayal. But it was never boring.
Expect a deluge of gore. Guts/brains of all kinds are spilled rugularly. Much of it is over the top and even comical but there is some genuinely gnarly imagery sprinked throughout the movie; especially towards the end. A couple dozen f words give or take.
Adult Written by8firefae April 11, 2019

Don't Listen to people comparing it to del Toro's Hellboy

This movie was awesome.
I wasn't sure about seeing it because most of the reviews were bad. Then I read those reviews and realized that they were mostly comparing the film to del Toro and Pearlman's Hellboy, which, if you are a fan or even a casual reader of the comics, is a bit watered down, but still pretty good.
This film was very much a METAL movie. Like hard metal. There is a lot of violence and a bit of gore, but I'm usually gore squeamish (won't watch any SAW movies, but I do enjoy horror) and it didn't bother me any because it doesn't linger on it.
This movie is also very much a movie for fans of Hellboy from the comics.
The film mostly suffers from some pacing issues. Things happen a bit quickly, not leaving much time for development and felt a bit like they had enough content they could do a mini series if they wanted. (Which I would love.) However, the sped up pacing did not detract from the film.
Most people are going to complain because there is a LOT of violence and gore in the film and it certainly isn't a movie for kids. It is very much a movie for adults, those who like metal, and those who are fans of Hellboy.