All member reviews for Her Majesty

Poignant story about tolerance and friendship.

Educator and Parent Written bySactown Mom September 22, 2012

Good clean story for kids

We loved this movie. It offers a great story and very positive messages for girls, including compassion, the value of friendship, and the importance of standing up for what you believe in. It is set in New Zealand in the 1960s at the time that Queen Elizabeth visited, which offers interesting scenery and historical background.
Kid, 10 years old September 29, 2011

Yay! New Zealand!

I've seen a trailer for this film on YouTube and it looks very good.
Adult Written byJCGuest April 9, 2008

Adult Written byGoMargo April 9, 2008

a gem--destined to be a classic

A beautiful, heartwarming, funny, inspirational story. The type of movie you can watch with your parents(grandparents) and your kids. Our family (girl 10, boy 12) saw it in the theatre and now we own the DVD. You won't be disappointed. It's better than 99.9% of the so-called family fare put out by the major studios. It has real depth and meaning, works on several levels, and is genuinely entertaining throughout.
Adult Written byPaapere April 9, 2008

Adult Written byBubblesreedy April 9, 2008

A must watch for New Zealand children!

A fantastic movie is set in my beautiful country, New Zealand. I love it! The rural setting is idyllic and the wholesomeness of the children establishes well the blue-skied naivety of the 1950’s New Zealand society. The “Maori witch” Hira banished to the town periphery is portrayed well by Vicky Haughton. Hira’s unexpected friendship with the young pakeha Elizabeth is transformational; helping peel back the angry shroud Hira encased herself in and revealing a proud daughter of a chief murdered by the towns folk. A fact that Elizabeth discovers has shamefully been hidden from the children of the town. The compassion Elizabeth shows Hira reflects a pure heart and her love gives Hira hope. Their friendship ignites magic culminating in the surreal scene in which the Queen visits Hira’s dilapidated porch apologizing in person for what happened to her father and returning his prized taiaha (staff). This movie, although fiction gives us hope that wrecked relationships between people who have committed a wrong and the people who have suffered a loss of dignity because of it can be repaired and then transformed.