All member reviews for Her

Graceful, strange romance with intense moments of sexuality.

Parent of a 11 and 16 year old Written bylightworker23 December 29, 2013

Great acting, but a little creepy & boring

NOT for kids 15 and younger. I rely on Commonsensemedia's judicious reviews & recommendations and I almost always agree. However, they were off with this one. We began watching it with our 16 year-old and she became very uncomfortable and left the room after a scene where the main character calls a phone sex line. My husband and I turned off the film shortly after because we found it to be a bit creepy and dull. The acting is great, however, and the story idea is not a bad one.
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah January 10, 2014

Timely, thought-provoking, funny, and touching.

This movie is amazing. It's a fully engaging and 100% believable exploration of what it is to be human and our desperation to connect with others, balancing drama and humor with perfect timing and context. The depiction of the future was perfect because it was subtle and just familiar enough to be relatable, but the thing is that I honestly could see stuff like this happening within my lifetime. (Namely, our protagonist works for a company that writes love letters for other people.) The concept is so timely yet avoids being odd or unintentionally comical because of the direction and actors' awareness of the subject matter. The acting is amazing across the board; Joaquin Phoenix is perfectly cast and captures every emotion perfectly and Scarlett Johannson creates a character with only her voice without issues. That wouldn't be particularly impressive if the film was animated, but she's the leading lady and is never shown, but has just as solid of a presence. The whole film's production is well done: landscapes, subtle wardrobe changes, scenery, and technology, and the people the inhabit it are, again, so realistically shown. Everything bridges the gap between now and then, but this film is more human than any other. This film unfortunately did not open in a wide release until today (January 10) so it couldn't make it onto my Best of 2013 list, but rest assured, this WILL be on my Best of 2014 list. 9.5/10, incredible, two thumbs up, far above average, etc.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJustin Rivera March 16, 2014

One Of The Greatest Films Of Our Time

A heartbreaking and thought provoking work of contemporary style art. This film raises questions regarding humanity, what is real and what is not, and the limits of evolution, "Her" will have you pondering life itself long after you've left the theatre. It's sophisticated yet unflinchingly engrossing, tear-jerking yet undeniably hilarious. Spike Jonze has given us a unique and original film, that is completely flawless. Beautiful cinematography and visuals, stunning performances, flawless execution, an intelligent script and a philosophical premise. "Her" is a film that should definitely be seen, it is a very important film that brings up questions regarding the idea of love. However, this film is not for those who lack maturity. This film has sexual themes in it (nothing too graphic besides a very brief topless scene ) and the thing about those themes is that immature teens will definitely not take this film seriously. This film is for those who like intellect and meaning in a film, it's not about a mindless romance between a man and an operating system, there's more to it than that. If you think about it, this film uses personification to it's advantage. It's supposed to make you think that this operating system is like a person, she thinks, she feels, she experiences emotion. As far as content goes, this film is all good, but as far as the message goes, it's all about maturity level. So to be clear, I did not mark this film "pause 14 and under" due to it's content. This film is a masterwork that should be seen due to it's originality, it's superb acting and it's importance.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHudstorm May 27, 2014

Very good movie, but that doesn't mean all should watch it.

This movie is stunning visually, and will keep you watching until the very end. Despite all of this good stuff, this movie is definitely not for everyone. The main character, Theodore, is a recently divorced husband looking for sex and someone to love. These circumstances cause the movie to become very sexual in some scenes, much too sexual for many kids under the age of 14. Along with a ton of swear words and sexual innuendos, you will come to find that the movie has some good messages about love and its mysteries. Overall, it is up to you to make the call on whether or not this movie is right for your child. You should to talk to them, and ask them how they feel about watching a movie with so much language and sex in it. If you think your child is ready, then I would say go for it. If you are not sure or don't think they are ready, you can watch the movie yourself first and then make a final decision from there.
Parent Written byshanghaischells February 15, 2014

Interesting but uncomfortable for 14 and under

I normally trust Common Sense Media's staff reviews. I usually find them to be a little more conservative than my own personal beliefs BUT they really undersold the explicit "phone" sex in this film. I caution other parents that while the film is useful for a discussion about our relationship with technology that benefit does not out way the explicit sexual content. Full verbal orgasms and threesomes seem pretty explicit to me. 16 and up for this film.
Parent Written byaseltine June 22, 2014

Intriguing ideas, Good acting, inappropriate amount of fantasy sex & swearing

The amount of swearing is inappropriate, and unnecessary for this movie. There are around 40 "F" words and some "P" words. Hollywood seems bent on trying to beat the other movie for amount of swearing that they can throw into the movie. I don't like it. I think it devalues the movie and the actors themselves. The amount of fantasy sex and a couple scenes of graphic sex is inappropriate for a young person under 17. I am not calling a person under 17 a kid, I am saying that the amount of fantasy sex and graphic sex will make a young person with moral convictions very uncomfortable. My daughter is over 17, she can see it, but she would be very uncomfortable with the scenes. I am not saying that the amount of fantasy sex or graphic sex is inappropriate for what the movie is striving to do. The idea of the movie is pretty intriguing. The AI in this movie is not evil as it is in some movies, such as 2001 Space Odyssey, Colossus: The Forbin Project, The Matrix Movies etc. The AI is more like I Robot. The idea of the O/S is very interesting, and the interweaving of the AI with the O/S experimenting and learning is what is interesting to me. The actors are some of the best in Hollywood and they do a good job, I just feel that the amount of swear words devalues their acting ability and really is not needed to make a good movie, and does not make a good movie better.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHorrorlover1213 January 10, 2014

Surprisingly good a little weird though..

The sex scene was a little disturbing. It's mostly sound not nudity. Good movie overall, but there's a good amount of cussing (f--k & s-it) and it's kind of a weird plot considering a man falls in love with his phone and has a sexual relationship with it. In my opinion I wouldn't consider it really inappropriate but that's me. You have to know your kid/teen and how he or she handles this somewhat disturbing content.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycj98 February 23, 2014

Odd yet thought-provoking

This movie definitely has an odd concept and some very unusual scenes, sexual and otherwise. There's a fair amount of language in this movie, nothing anyone in 7th grade or higher hasn't heard. Sex scenes aren't visually graphic but they are there. Full frontal nudity of a pregnant woman, a particularly weird instance of chat sex featuring the phrase "oh yeah, choke me with the dead cat!", a romantic(?) sex conversation between the main character and his computer's persona, and a scene where the persona hires a prostitute so he can pretend it's her.
Teen, 14 years old Written byERICYUILL November 28, 2014

Her is great!! For mature viewers

Her is a amazing strange love story with interesting and heartfelt characters. There are a handful of moments that aren't very appropriate for kids, including talk on a sex hotline (played for laughs) and images of a naked lady (pregnant and full frontal) but it only lasts a couple of seconds. With that said her is a powerful movie which will make you think.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAVTRlover 4 January 20, 2014

Her

This was an extremely, extremely enjoyable movie. It had its sweet parts, it had its funny parts, it had its sad parts, and it had its uncomfortable parts. There were two "phone sex" scenes. One was between two people, and you could see the man's face as the woman orgasmed and asked him to choke her with a dead cat's tale. This was a really wierd and uncomfortable scene. He pictured a nude pregnant woman during this scene. There is a quick flash of her breasts. The other scene was between an OS and the man, but the screen was black, this lasts for about a minute. There was also a scene when the OS wanted to have actual sex with the man, so they hired a surrogate, but they stopped before actually having sex. There was frequent profanity, including one memorable scene in witch a hologram in a game was cussing out the player. The man also talks about getting too drunk because he wanted to have sex on a date last night. This was a sweet movie, and was very fun and memorable. I laughed a lot, and this tied with American Hustle for my favorite movie of the year.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 18, 2014

Innovative, in that Jonze sort of way

I'm happy to report that Jonze, with only four films under his belt, has shown incredible range as a director, and I muse see "Adaptation" to complete his body of work. "Her" is completely original, and sadly realistic as more and more people become nearly as in love with their phones as Phoenix's Theodore does. It's at once a stirring message movie mixed with an emotional, honest love story that sadly rings true to all of us who have felt rejection or love or both at the same time. It's complex, and doesn't just let its gimmick of a man falling for his phone overtake its theme. I just would've liked it to be a little shorter, and it would have been perfect. Content-wise: surprisingly graphic verbal sex scenes. Best for older teens.
Adult Written bykipwalker44 October 22, 2014

Beautiful, bizarre romance is very psychological

"Her" has all the ingredients for a perfect movie- superbly acted, well-developed and sympathetic characters, innovative plot line, authentic dialogue, gorgeous cinematography and score, you name it. However, due to a couple of scenes depicting graphic sex, it's better to wait until you're 17 or older to see this film.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats January 19, 2014

A Spike Jonze Love Story

Her is a beautiful, poignant film that explores adult relationships to the extreme while also exploring how huge technology is modern culture and how close humans and their computers are becoming. Her explores human emotions until there's little left to explore. It blends social commentary with very real characters so effortlessly and is still visually-striking. Her is a genius film and one of my favorite films of all time. Two characters have phone sex and at a different time, two characters have sex over the phone. There are sexual references throughout and some heavy language. Brief nudity of a topless, pregnant woman.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybranman894 January 13, 2014

Her is Great

Her is one of the best pictures of the year. It is entertaining throughout, sad, but most of all just a great movie. The acting from everyone is spot-on, the writing is excellent, and even the special effects are done well, and are nice to look at. I do have one issue with the film, I found it a little disappointing. The rest of the movie is perfect though, and even though I might have found the ending a little disappointing (make sure you read a little in that sentence), the movie is still great.
Adult Written byJoshR 1 June 27, 2015

Her creates a beautiful and resonant vision of the future, some adult situations/themes

Her tells the story of Theodore Twombly, a lonely man living in the near, but believable future. Theodore has just gone through a divorce with his wife, who he had deeply loved. When Theodore buys a brand new OS, it is female and can talk, and has very real human emotions. And as ridiculous as it sounds, Theodore falls in love with Samantha, the OS. Her is a beautiful film, Joaquin Phoenix makes a fantastic performance as the main character, and Scarlett Johanson is great as Samantha. Even though the plot sounds ridiculous, it is executed extremely well. But parents, be warned, Her is not necessarily for kids. It has a great deal of bad language and some sexual content. Near the beginning of the film, Theodore has explicit phone sex(not with Samantha) while imagining a topless pregnant woman. This scene is not all that long, and no sex is scene on screen, but the dialogue is sexually explicit. Later on in the film, Theodore has phone sex with Samantha, there is not really any dialogue except for some moaning. Another scene involves a sex surrogate, no sex ends up happening as the characters come to realize what they are doing isn't right. This scene mostly consists of kissing and like I said before, no sex. As for language, there are a great number of F bombs in this film as well as some sexual dialogue. As I said before, Her is a fantastic film. It has a message about who we are as humans and how much we can love someone. Her is a little iffy for a 16 year old depending on how the parent would feel, but it would be absolutely fine for 17 year olds.
Teen, 16 years old Written byirontap June 24, 2015

Best of 2013

Adult Written bymichaelmcgcp. February 2, 2015

Wow amazing but read

I am 15 years old and this was uncomfortable for me. Yes this was a great movie but there was a lot of fantasty sex including an operating system moaning while he fantasizes over a naked pregnant woman. Also it is very depressing because he is falling in love with a computer who wishes to have a body. It is very sad for me to watch because you know in the back of your head that hes in love with a voice. If you have mature kids who wil not be overwhelmed by the sex and discussions then its ok. If you decide to watch it with them have acess to a remote to either mute or fast forward any uncomfortable parts. Overall it was a great movie amd will leave you filled with emotions.
Adult Written bychristian2011 December 28, 2014

Eccentric and futuristic love story with

Her is truly the preposition of the new age of the romance genre movies. I'm honestly not into romance themed films but Her definitely caught me off guard. It really conveyed a sublime, eloquent message to the term of which we conventionally define "true love" yet in a different interpretation in this film. The characters in this movie had such depth, dialogue, and genuine qualities, and the script was near perfect - "makes you feel like they're real people". HER may be a brilliant sci-fi romance movie but it's not intended for younger audiences due to several highly suggestible reasons. First, it contains language, rather frequent and strong (uses of f**k, sh*t) and other anatomical crude terms; second is sexual content, which there's "indirect sexual intercourse" between a man and his voice operating system, implied masturbation, and some other sexual references. One scene includes a fully nude woman posing while pregnant with very explicit nudity, such as breasts, buttocks, and her private region, graphically shot, but only for a few seconds. Nevertheless, HER is a magical experience which mature audiences are guaranteed to enjoy. Great acting, great story.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew December 26, 2014

Mature dramedy has salty language but sweet plot

My rating: PG-13 for sexual content,language and some nudity
Teen, 16 years old Written byStevie111 September 16, 2014

In My Opinion dumb and not best picture nominee worthy

I did not like this film. I didn't think it was put together particularly well, and it was boring. It just didn't appeal to me. The sexual content was pretty strong and there is full frontal female nudity, which just wasn't necessary in this film. I was just really disappointed. I don't recommend this.