Lighthearted, but scary stuff is too much for littlest kids.

Adult Written byLilyPad250 April 9, 2008

Shame on Disney

My 2 1/2 year old wanted to watch this movie, so I sat and watched it with her. I turned it off less than half of the way through due to inappropriate scenes. There was a lot of crude behavior, especially of a sexual nature and was demeaning towards women. Also the "heroine", Hercules' love interest is an immoral woman. People are rude and mean, smoke, etc.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMichikorabbit2 December 28, 2009

Less than faithful adaptation is still a good movie

This is absolutely NOTHING like the actually tale of Hercules. Hercules is actually the child of Zeus and a human woman, and Hera, who is mad at Zeus for cheating on her again, punishes Hercules by casting a spell on him that causes him to kill his family. To atone for this, he does these 12 tasks and yada yada yada. While this movie strays from the story on which it's based a little TOO much, it still is a fun movie. Watch out for violence though, Hercules decapitates a Hydra at one point.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bytrafficdesign September 18, 2011

Beware of the pit of death

I am 5 years old and the pit of death/souls scene scared me very much. I had nightmares and was freaked out and thought that it was real. I don't think this movie is for kids aged 5. (As told to my Dad who typed this).
Teen, 16 years old Written byJoseph Rock February 28, 2012

Come on Disney,you didn't even try on this one!

The animation on this movie is just HORRIBLE! Its soo ugly.It is VERY ANNOYING! Watch Charlie & The Chocolate Factory instead.
Teen, 16 years old Written byspudsandbeans42 April 9, 2008

Overall - Mild content

Violence: Mild - A character tries to "slay" a mythical creature with a sword (its' heads are cut off but grow back again) which is eventually crushed by a rock. There are various scenes of slapstick violence where the characters remain unhurt. Sex/Nudity: None. Horror: Mild - Themes of death and the underworld aswell as some perilous scenes where the main character battles a large monster, all handled with a mild intensity. Language: None Drugs/Alcohol: None. Overall: Mild themes. Some scenes (most notably the battle with the Hydra) are likely to frighten young children.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 14, 2011
pretty good movie. meg is just awesome.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written byweaselaferret May 22, 2015

Eh...

Disappointing movie- hard to believe it was Disney. The storyline is pretty generic, not very original. A very boring movie, if you ask me. The character with the most substance was probably Meg, the lead female. There are way better movies, so I recommend finding something else. There are a lot of scary scenes, plus a gross one where he cuts off the head of a hydra. Not much happens as far as plot goes, just nobody likes him- training- becomes a hero- saves the world. If you're watching it for the mythology part, don't bother. It doesn't follow it AT ALL.
Teen, 15 years old Written by1upmushroom October 5, 2012

A film that despite having flaws, goes to the distance.

Let's face it this has got to be the worst disney movie in terms of being faithful to it's source material. The characters are very different, most of the iffy stuff is either gone or barely implied, the main villain wasn't even a villain in the original myths, and it can be predictable, but you know what? I honestly can look past most of this, in fact, Disney's Hercules is a favorite of mine. While we're still facing things let's also face this, the original story of HERACLES (yeah, HERACLES, not Hercules) or hell, ANY greek myth at all is just not family friendly material. Changes would have to be made, though I'll get back to that later. Anyway let's go to the story which is told by 5 of the 9 Muses, Hercules in this version is a god, not a DEMI-god but a regular god, born to Zeus (played by Rip Torn of all people) AND Hera and is practically adored by everyone (even Ares) except for Hades (played by James Woods) who wants to get rid of Hercules as fast as he can. Why? Because Hades plans one ruling the cosmos by freeing (and controlling) some entities that Zeus locked away a long time ago called the Titans. (Hmm, weird. Every time I type or say that I get the strangest feeling that somewhere a mythology buff is either in rage or tears over this). So, with the "help" of his minions Pain and Panic, he manages to turn Hercules mortal and Pain and Panic end up hiding him. Unfortunately, since Pain and Panic are "bumbling" minions they drop the bottle holding the mortal potion before Hercules can drop the last drop, which means he still has his godly strength. After he unknowingly kicks both of their butts, a couple finds Hercules and decides to raise him. During the years however Hercules is often treated like a freak and doesn't feel like he belongs where he is. And it turns out he's totally right, for his foster parents reveal to him that he's adopted and, since the metal he was found with had the symbol of the gods ingrained on it, Hercules goes off to a temple to find Zeus' statue (which I think is supposed to be the same one that's one of the seven wonders of the world). Then Zeus somehow transfers his soul into the statue to talk to Hercules more directly. He basically tells Hercules to become a true hero in order to become a god (yeah that's totally how it works) and tells him to seek out Philoctetes a well known trainer of heroes. Hercules agrees and after some convincing, manages to have Phil (played by Danny Devito) train into becoming a hero. I won't say anything else about the plot besides the fact that he meets a love interest named Megara since I'm pretty sure you could figure out what happens next. Now then, let's get on to the actual review. First of all let me restate this, I'm totally fine with making a lot of changes to the story of Heracles since it's NOT family friendly at all. However I feel that the movie made too many changes to the story, from replacing characters, to compositing characters, to adding a happy ending, to making a god who really didn't appear much in the original story not only a main character but the main villain! Yeah, Hades wasn't treated kindly in this version however there are two things that make him one of my favorite villains. One is his design, it looks cool with that flame on his head and that baggy garb with the skull motif. The other thing is the personality, this is got to be one of the funniest villains I've seen, even funnier than the Queen of Hearts! It's mostly because of how odd it is, you see originally Hades was going to be a more boring and slow villain however when James Woods came in to audition he instead went for a different approach, acting more like a lawyer or an agent. The crew loved it and the script was revised to make Hades more like the lovable villain he is today. However like I said, he's still the bad guy which is I feel that doesn't have to be. In the original myth the big bad was actually Hera because Zeus cheated on her again (you heard right AGAIN) and often made Heracles' life a living pain because that was the only way she could get Zeus back. While they'd have to make a few changes Hera still could have worked as a villain, she'd kind of be like the stepmother from Cinderella. Heck, why didn't they make Typhon the bad guy? I mean sure that character's not a part of the original myth also but at least he did take over Mount Olympus and it'd be a nice nod to the mythology buffs. Plus the muses can get a little groan worthy, not a lot but there are some times where I can't look at the screen because their comedy is kind of painful to watch but like I said it doesn't happen a lot, in fact it usually lasts for about a second or two. Anyway, whine whine whine I thought you liked this movie 1upmushroom don't lie to me! Ok, ok I'll get to the stuff I did like. First of all, I liked two of the main characters, Hades (like I said) and Phil because I like Danny Devito and also because he has a great training montage number called "One Last Hope". While on the subject of numbers, I also really liked the music and songs of the film. The main three I liked is "One Last Hope", "A star was Born", and "Zero to Hero". The whole gospel thing can be a bit distracting but I like it ok. The designs are very cool, they're done by Gerald Scarfe (a VERY surprising choice, by Disney at least) and I think his work is actually used pretty well. Something interesting I noticed was that Zeus here actually looks a lot like he did in the Pastoral Symphony segment from Fantasia. However the real reason I enjoy this movie is the humor and in-jokes! Why? Because if you look hard enough, there are tons and I mean TONS of references to Greek Mythology, from other gods to the 12 labors Hercules had to face, to even references of OEDIPUS! In fact Hercules' line "And I thought 'I' had problems" in remark to the play is probably the funniest line in the film if you know what he's talking about. So yeah, Hercules does have flaws like too many changes in the story, the fact that Hades is a bad guy, and some minor parts with the muses, but overall it's a great movie and one of my favorites. Oh, wait I have to say what parents have to watch out for don't I? Well while there's not a lot of gore as Common Media implied there is a lot of action that little kids probably take, there are some sexual innuendos but nothing too obvious. I guess if I were to make one definite reason not to show this to younger kids it would probably be because of the fact that it's based on Greek Mythology. Why? Well some kids might want to learn more about the Greek myths and they'll either be exhausted from reading them because there are so many tales and so many versions of the tales that it's hard to manage. And then of course there's the actual content in the myths which is pretty adult. However I'd say let them watch it, I remember watching it when I was either 4 or 5 and I don't remember too badly affected by it. Anyway, I give Hercules a 4 out of 5, it's a flawed movie but a fun one none the less.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 July 28, 2010

A really good Disney classic

Although it's in inaccurate version of the tale in Greek Mythology, Hercules is a fun and enjoyable movie. Hades is a very funny villain. Violence: Lots of fighting (no blood is ever shown); some scenes of the Underworld; Hades may scare some kids with his appearance. Sex: Hercules and Megara fall in love and (eventually) kiss. Megara's figure is shape sort of like an hourglass, similar to Jasmine in Aladdin. Phil is a flirt. Language: Just stuff like "stupid", but no actual language. Kids 7+ can probably watch it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykatiemay017 August 16, 2009

GREAT MOVIE

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS MOVIE!i agree it isnt very similiar to the real story but its fun, and awesome. Hades is hilariouse and i love MEG she is awesome. and so is Pegasus. its a classic disney film and i love it.. so if u havnt seen WATCH IT!!!!
Adult Written byFerron008 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byImBubbles January 31, 2016

I want me some Air-Hercs!!!

Hercules was a great story about love, honor, and courage. Hercules is a story about a young boy named Hercules who is neglected for being “Too Strong”. He has a goal to be united with his father Zeus on mount Olympus so he gets trained to be a hero by a goat thing named Phil. Hades is trying to stop Hercules so that he can continue with his evil plans. This wonderful movie has a message that is to be courageous, brave, and honorable. I give this movie 4 out of 5 bubbles because it is a musical and that's just not my style. I gave the age for this review 5 and up because it is very appropriate for all ages and is very kid friendly. Overall Hercules was very well made and I definitely recommend watching this movie.
Adult Written byBrij1234 September 29, 2015

Sort of mocks Christianity in my opinion

I didn't like how the group of women who show a lot of leg and sing about Heracles kept on singing "and that's the gospel truth" about Hercules' life. The Gospel truth is a Christian thing about the good news about Jesus Christ coming to save humans. I feel that it mocks Christianity to call Greek demi-Gods the gospel truth. I also didn't like that Meg sold her soul to the underworld king for her ex-boyfriend.
Teen, 17 years old Written bygorilla99swell August 24, 2015

This is my favourite

I will admit this film is funny, and the voices are great. This is what started the adult humor genre for kids films. the plot is that Zeus has a new born baby which he names hercules who he believes to be the next ruler of Olympus. Until the villains Hades who is voiced by James Woods (the hades character is funny, but we all remember how scary his character in Stuart Little 2 was). takes him in an attempt to kill him, but he fails to and then has to find other ways to. I totally recommend this film
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T November 8, 2014

Despite it's excellence, this is no G movie.

In many ways, this is one of Disney's best animated films, but also one of the most intense. Hercules often fights scary beasts, including a hydra, a cyclops, and more. Once he nearly drowns in the "pit of souls" when he deliberately jumps in to save his girlfriend, Megara. Hades can also get a bit crude, not to mention how annoying his henchmen are. It's probably disturbing for younger kids and a great movie for the older ones.
Kid, 12 years old June 30, 2014

I laugh out loud every time i watch it!

This movie is amazing for kids!And the story is awesome.There are the cutest little sidekicks ever.And then there is the feisty and beautiful Meg,She is pretty down to earth and sings one of my favorite songs ever(with the muses duet.)The muses are beautiful godesses who tell the story of hercules.And then there is the main hero,Hercules.This story teaches you that if you want to reach your dream,don't let anybody stop you and just go for it and never give up,because one day,you will reach your dream.The only warning is,If your kids see it,they will get the songs stuck in there heads and possibly sing it through out the house every day!
Teen, 15 years old Written byJacob Haimovitz December 3, 2012

Hercules is too scary for kids

Hades firey stuff in Hercules is too scary for kids and gore and intense scary stuff is too scary for kids
Adult Written bynduns May 13, 2011

Not the masterpiece I remember it being

Ah, yes, I remember loving this film when I was younger, but looking at it now, it's just kind of... meh. The animations I won't dwell on as Disney was just simply trying out a different style for the film. (Even if the CGI is rather cheap for the time, and considering how good the panther head in Aladdin looked there is no excuse for that) The songs are also very nice, Menken once again impressing me, but the story is not only the most predictable of the 90's (Pretty much retelling Superman/Rocky) but most of the main characters (Keyword being MOST!) are very bland a 2-dimensional. Hercules himself is nothing more than a boring hero, that guy who barrels into danger without thinking. I can barely tolerate it in rpgs, and at least those have something to distract me from the blandness... this doesn't. The only interesting characters are Meg and Hades, Meg having more depth than most Disney females in films like these and Hades just bringing with him a great personality and the way his flames are like a mood ring is pretty cool too. Everyone else is just bland and never really changes as a character... well, not by much anyway. Something my dad pointed out while we were watching this was that the fight scenes were much more cartoony than in other Disney creations, and I can see that. While I normally see heart and soul put into the action scenes in other Disney films, these fight scenes had little to no soul, just "hey, let's have these characters kick each other around". They're entertaining, sure, but they're not the most memorable out there.
Kid, 12 years old November 20, 2009
Hades' firey stuff may be scary for children. Megara acts kind of sexual to impress Hercules.