Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Hercules

Lighthearted, but scary stuff is too much for littlest kids.

Parent of a 14 and 18+ year old Written byCollegeGirl_Kid... October 13, 2016

Back in Disney's Glory Days

This is a great movie. I see a lot of reviews about how the movie is "too scary" or "inappropriate" for small children, but I seriously cannot see how. In typical Disney fashion, the movie is not just targeted for children but family members of all ages (sometimes including the child at heart). However, for any of the slightly more mature references, they are done in a way that goes over a small child's head. There is nothing inappropriate, and the movie has strong messages about the difference between a idealized / public "hero" and what makes someone a "true hero." It also explores the story of our awkward hero's believed need to fit in--but then his realization that it's his individuality that makes him special. Plus, I always love to see a main character that realizes he or she can't do it alone. Individuality is great, but it's good to realize that one person can't take all the credit for one's success--that they need to rely on others to also make them stronger. (Plus, I love the references to other movies, plays, artworks, and various spoofs the movie makes)

As far as being "scary," I really don't think that's a problem. On some level, anything could scare a little kid. I mean, I had a nightmare about Peter Pan and My Little Ponies when I was little. My. Little. Ponies... (I'm weird, I know). As far as the scenes in Hercules, I would rate it "great" for 5+ and a "maybe" for anyone under 5 (depending on the kid). None of the scenes ever scared me or my siblings when we were little (or anyone I knew for that fact--or at least none who would admit it)--but it depends on the kid. Everyone's different.

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byElysse M. August 10, 2019

Not bad but mysogynist

The muses and the female character mostly have waists more slender than their necks, which gives girls AND boys toxic subconscious messages about what women should look like. The main character proves his mettle by sacrificing his powers. Typical save-the-maiden to impress her and impress dad to feel worthy story. Precedes the empowered princess revolution, so we didn’t expect much.
Adult Written byBigYoshi January 27, 2019

Cool concept, but why vegas?!?!?

Okay, so I really tried to give this a chance, but the pop culture references just don't work with the movie's setting. I am friends with a reputable Greek historian, and I watched the movie with them. They said it was the most offensive thing they have witnessed, as many references to modern culture litter the script. My specific complaint is with the choice to make cities in Greece resemble Las Vegas, Nevada. WHY?!?! WHY IS IT VEGAS?!?!?

Adult Written byK B June 8, 2018

Too scary for littles; boring for adults

There's a LOOOOOT of sharp teeth in this movie, with truly frightening monsters. Considering the bright colors and comical, cheerfully drawn images on the cover, this was a surprise. I kept sneaking furtive glances over at my 8-year old to make sure she wasn't hiding under the covers. Despite being a pretty sensitive kid, she made it through without getting too upset, but I am positive that was because we were watching it in the daytime on a small television in my bedroom. My 6-year old son wouldn't have lasted more than 20 minutes. I knew monsters would be a large part of the story but was surprised at how visually scary they were. Even putting that aside, this is not Disney's finest; neither in animation style, nor storyline. Rather boring from an adult perspective (and I *like* kids' movies!), and as a teacher, I couldn't stop being a little irritated at the incorrect depiction of the Greek gods (explain to your kids that the gods of the actual myths are ALL rather petty and temperamental rather than all good or all bad...otherwise they'll fail at least one high school exam in the future). I am not religious but come from a very religious family, so I know plenty of Christian parents are going to have a problem with the Muses' assertion of "that's the gospel truth". Depiction of the underworld will be depressing and scary to any child who has not had a conversation with parents in advance about their family's belief in what happens when you die. Some parents will be put off by the rather sexualized character of Meg, and small kids who see life in black and white may not be able to understand the complicated reason why she is initially working for Hades. Watch this one on your own first; chances are good that even if it's not too scary for your kids, you'll feel your hours with them will be better spent on a more engaging, better written film.

Adult Written byBryant Almonte-Alday May 16, 2017

AC, GV. Adult Situation, Graphic Violence.

My rating: PG for graphic cartoon violence throughout, including bloody images.

Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byJJ Math October 8, 2016

Parent Concerns

This is a great movie for toddlers or kids that just started school, but it talks about different gods, Hades, and has some scenes that may scare young children such as the lead character fighting a large dragon. This is family friendly that relays the message to be yourself.

Adult Written byBrij1234 September 29, 2015

Sort of mocks Christianity in my opinion

I didn't like how the group of women who show a lot of leg and sing about Heracles kept on singing "and that's the gospel truth" about Hercules' life. The Gospel truth is a Christian thing about the good news about Jesus Christ coming to save humans. I feel that it mocks Christianity to call Greek demi-Gods the gospel truth.

I also didn't like that Meg sold her soul to the underworld king for her ex-boyfriend.
Parent of a 7, 9, 12, and 15 year old Written bysupermommy79 May 7, 2015

Great but not for very young kids.

Ok. Showed this to my 7 year old daughter and she was scared of the Underworld and Pit of Death. Anyways my 9 and 12 year olds enjoyed it. So did my 15 year old.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bymnmama2 January 18, 2015

True to story but fairly violent

Hercules has super-human strength and uses it often throughout the movie. Lots of mythical creatures that could be frightening to younger kids (huge scary centaur, multi-headed large dragon, underworld creatures that destroy the earth).
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy February 27, 2013

Awesome.

This movie is an instant classic from Disney.I loved it as a kid.It has positive messages,good role models,educational value,and lighthearted stuff.Well,excpt for some violence,sex,rude remarks,and SOME drinking/smoking.Other than that,this movie is great.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bytrafficdesign September 18, 2011

Beware of the pit of death

I am 5 years old and the pit of death/souls scene scared me very much. I had nightmares and was freaked out and thought that it was real. I don't think this movie is for kids aged 5. (As told to my Dad who typed this).

Adult Written bynduns May 13, 2011

Not the masterpiece I remember it being

Ah, yes, I remember loving this film when I was younger, but looking at it now, it's just kind of... meh. The animations I won't dwell on as Disney was just simply trying out a different style for the film. (Even if the CGI is rather cheap for the time, and considering how good the panther head in Aladdin looked there is no excuse for that) The songs are also very nice, Menken once again impressing me, but the story is not only the most predictable of the 90's (Pretty much retelling Superman/Rocky) but most of the main characters (Keyword being MOST!) are very bland a 2-dimensional. Hercules himself is nothing more than a boring hero, that guy who barrels into danger without thinking. I can barely tolerate it in rpgs, and at least those have something to distract me from the blandness... this doesn't. The only interesting characters are Meg and Hades, Meg having more depth than most Disney females in films like these and Hades just bringing with him a great personality and the way his flames are like a mood ring is pretty cool too. Everyone else is just bland and never really changes as a character... well, not by much anyway. Something my dad pointed out while we were watching this was that the fight scenes were much more cartoony than in other Disney creations, and I can see that. While I normally see heart and soul put into the action scenes in other Disney films, these fight scenes had little to no soul, just "hey, let's have these characters kick each other around". They're entertaining, sure, but they're not the most memorable out there.

Adult Written byFerron008 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byLilyPad250 April 9, 2008

Shame on Disney

My 2 1/2 year old wanted to watch this movie, so I sat and watched it with her. I turned it off less than half of the way through due to inappropriate scenes. There was a lot of crude behavior, especially of a sexual nature and was demeaning towards women. Also the "heroine", Hercules' love interest is an immoral woman. People are rude and mean, smoke, etc.