All member reviews for Hercules

Teen, 14 years old Written byMichikorabbit2 December 28, 2009

Less than faithful adaptation is still a good movie

This is absolutely NOTHING like the actually tale of Hercules. Hercules is actually the child of Zeus and a human woman, and Hera, who is mad at Zeus for cheating on her again, punishes Hercules by casting a spell on him that causes him to kill his family. To atone for this, he does these 12 tasks and yada yada yada. While this movie strays from the story on which it's based a little TOO much, it still is a fun movie. Watch out for violence though, Hercules decapitates a Hydra at one point.
Teen, 16 years old Written byspudsandbeans42 April 9, 2008

Overall - Mild content

Violence: Mild - A character tries to "slay" a mythical creature with a sword (its' heads are cut off but grow back again) which is eventually crushed by a rock. There are various scenes of slapstick violence where the characters remain unhurt. Sex/Nudity: None. Horror: Mild - Themes of death and the underworld aswell as some perilous scenes where the main character battles a large monster, all handled with a mild intensity. Language: None Drugs/Alcohol: None. Overall: Mild themes. Some scenes (most notably the battle with the Hydra) are likely to frighten young children.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 14, 2011

pretty good movie. meg is just awesome.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 July 28, 2010

A really good Disney classic

Although it's in inaccurate version of the tale in Greek Mythology, Hercules is a fun and enjoyable movie. Hades is a very funny villain. Violence: Lots of fighting (no blood is ever shown); some scenes of the Underworld; Hades may scare some kids with his appearance. Sex: Hercules and Megara fall in love and (eventually) kiss. Megara's figure is shape sort of like an hourglass, similar to Jasmine in Aladdin. Phil is a flirt. Language: Just stuff like "stupid", but no actual language. Kids 7+ can probably watch it.
Teen, 15 years old Written by1upmushroom October 5, 2012

A film that despite having flaws, goes to the distance.

Let's face it this has got to be the worst disney movie in terms of being faithful to it's source material. The characters are very different, most of the iffy stuff is either gone or barely implied, the main villain wasn't even a villain in the original myths, and it can be predictable, but you know what? I honestly can look past most of this, in fact, Disney's Hercules is a favorite of mine. While we're still facing things let's also face this, the original story of HERACLES (yeah, HERACLES, not Hercules) or hell, ANY greek myth at all is just not family friendly material. Changes would have to be made, though I'll get back to that later. Anyway let's go to the story which is told by 5 of the 9 Muses, Hercules in this version is a god, not a DEMI-god but a regular god, born to Zeus (played by Rip Torn of all people) AND Hera and is practically adored by everyone (even Ares) except for Hades (played by James Woods) who wants to get rid of Hercules as fast as he can. Why? Because Hades plans one ruling the cosmos by freeing (and controlling) some entities that Zeus locked away a long time ago called the Titans. (Hmm, weird. Every time I type or say that I get the strangest feeling that somewhere a mythology buff is either in rage or tears over this). So, with the "help" of his minions Pain and Panic, he manages to turn Hercules mortal and Pain and Panic end up hiding him. Unfortunately, since Pain and Panic are "bumbling" minions they drop the bottle holding the mortal potion before Hercules can drop the last drop, which means he still has his godly strength. After he unknowingly kicks both of their butts, a couple finds Hercules and decides to raise him. During the years however Hercules is often treated like a freak and doesn't feel like he belongs where he is. And it turns out he's totally right, for his foster parents reveal to him that he's adopted and, since the metal he was found with had the symbol of the gods ingrained on it, Hercules goes off to a temple to find Zeus' statue (which I think is supposed to be the same one that's one of the seven wonders of the world). Then Zeus somehow transfers his soul into the statue to talk to Hercules more directly. He basically tells Hercules to become a true hero in order to become a god (yeah that's totally how it works) and tells him to seek out Philoctetes a well known trainer of heroes. Hercules agrees and after some convincing, manages to have Phil (played by Danny Devito) train into becoming a hero. I won't say anything else about the plot besides the fact that he meets a love interest named Megara since I'm pretty sure you could figure out what happens next. Now then, let's get on to the actual review. First of all let me restate this, I'm totally fine with making a lot of changes to the story of Heracles since it's NOT family friendly at all. However I feel that the movie made too many changes to the story, from replacing characters, to compositing characters, to adding a happy ending, to making a god who really didn't appear much in the original story not only a main character but the main villain! Yeah, Hades wasn't treated kindly in this version however there are two things that make him one of my favorite villains. One is his design, it looks cool with that flame on his head and that baggy garb with the skull motif. The other thing is the personality, this is got to be one of the funniest villains I've seen, even funnier than the Queen of Hearts! It's mostly because of how odd it is, you see originally Hades was going to be a more boring and slow villain however when James Woods came in to audition he instead went for a different approach, acting more like a lawyer or an agent. The crew loved it and the script was revised to make Hades more like the lovable villain he is today. However like I said, he's still the bad guy which is I feel that doesn't have to be. In the original myth the big bad was actually Hera because Zeus cheated on her again (you heard right AGAIN) and often made Heracles' life a living pain because that was the only way she could get Zeus back. While they'd have to make a few changes Hera still could have worked as a villain, she'd kind of be like the stepmother from Cinderella. Heck, why didn't they make Typhon the bad guy? I mean sure that character's not a part of the original myth also but at least he did take over Mount Olympus and it'd be a nice nod to the mythology buffs. Plus the muses can get a little groan worthy, not a lot but there are some times where I can't look at the screen because their comedy is kind of painful to watch but like I said it doesn't happen a lot, in fact it usually lasts for about a second or two. Anyway, whine whine whine I thought you liked this movie 1upmushroom don't lie to me! Ok, ok I'll get to the stuff I did like. First of all, I liked two of the main characters, Hades (like I said) and Phil because I like Danny Devito and also because he has a great training montage number called "One Last Hope". While on the subject of numbers, I also really liked the music and songs of the film. The main three I liked is "One Last Hope", "A star was Born", and "Zero to Hero". The whole gospel thing can be a bit distracting but I like it ok. The designs are very cool, they're done by Gerald Scarfe (a VERY surprising choice, by Disney at least) and I think his work is actually used pretty well. Something interesting I noticed was that Zeus here actually looks a lot like he did in the Pastoral Symphony segment from Fantasia. However the real reason I enjoy this movie is the humor and in-jokes! Why? Because if you look hard enough, there are tons and I mean TONS of references to Greek Mythology, from other gods to the 12 labors Hercules had to face, to even references of OEDIPUS! In fact Hercules' line "And I thought 'I' had problems" in remark to the play is probably the funniest line in the film if you know what he's talking about. So yeah, Hercules does have flaws like too many changes in the story, the fact that Hades is a bad guy, and some minor parts with the muses, but overall it's a great movie and one of my favorites. Oh, wait I have to say what parents have to watch out for don't I? Well while there's not a lot of gore as Common Media implied there is a lot of action that little kids probably take, there are some sexual innuendos but nothing too obvious. I guess if I were to make one definite reason not to show this to younger kids it would probably be because of the fact that it's based on Greek Mythology. Why? Well some kids might want to learn more about the Greek myths and they'll either be exhausted from reading them because there are so many tales and so many versions of the tales that it's hard to manage. And then of course there's the actual content in the myths which is pretty adult. However I'd say let them watch it, I remember watching it when I was either 4 or 5 and I don't remember too badly affected by it. Anyway, I give Hercules a 4 out of 5, it's a flawed movie but a fun one none the less.
Kid, 12 years old November 20, 2009

Hades' firey stuff may be scary for children. Megara acts kind of sexual to impress Hercules.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykatiemay017 August 16, 2009

GREAT MOVIE

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS MOVIE!i agree it isnt very similiar to the real story but its fun, and awesome. Hades is hilariouse and i love MEG she is awesome. and so is Pegasus. its a classic disney film and i love it.. so if u havnt seen WATCH IT!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bydoglovermegan12 July 21, 2009

awesome!!!!

It`s an awesome movie though Disney did change the story a lot to make it for younger ages.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T November 8, 2014

This is no G movie.

In many ways, this is one of Disney's most intense animated films. Hercules often fights scary beasts. Once he nearly drowns in the "pit of souls." It's probably disturbing for younger kids and a great movie for the older ones.
Kid, 9 years old July 31, 2014

Good

I loved Hercules and all, but as a kid, i was kind of scared of that snake-head- chopping. I hated the romance, and i liked Hades anger. But other of all that, the movie was good. I give it four stars.
Kid, 12 years old June 30, 2014

I laugh out loud every time i watch it!

This movie is amazing for kids!And the story is awesome.There are the cutest little sidekicks ever.And then there is the feisty and beautiful Meg,She is pretty down to earth and sings one of my favorite songs ever(with the muses duet.)The muses are beautiful godesses who tell the story of hercules.And then there is the main hero,Hercules.This story teaches you that if you want to reach your dream,don't let anybody stop you and just go for it and never give up,because one day,you will reach your dream.The only warning is,If your kids see it,they will get the songs stuck in there heads and possibly sing it through out the house every day!
Kid, 11 years old May 5, 2014

LEARNING

Great Movie for Older Kids

This is a great movie, but you might want to wait a few years before letting a younger kid watch it. There's quite a bit of scary stuff and lovely-dovey parts, more so than frozen or tangled for instance, but if you're an older kid you will probably really like it. As you might have heard, this movie is extremely different from the original myths, but it is still really awesome, because if it was true to the original, it would be an absolutely horrible adult animated r-rated movie that no one on planet earth would ever want to watch, and that would be entirely nonsensical because no one would ever purposefully make a terrible movie. I think this movie still has a lot educational potential, though, despite being different, because after studying Greek mythology students could watch this and pick out all the differences between this and the original myths. There are some good messages and role models here, but I'm not going to say any more because I don't want to give away the story. All in all, this is a really fun movie for older kids. The scary parts and romantic stuff are probably too much for most kids under seven, and should be enjoyable for most in the nine and up range. For seven and eight yr olds, know your kid, you might want watch something else for now. Note: For 9+ yr olds, I wouldn't say that there's too much violence and sexy stuff, but there is some so I put that in there so that you would know.
Kid, 11 years old September 19, 2013

Hercules, a Hero to Watch

After viewing the movie as a class we decided that Hercules was fun to watch, was educational, yet did contain some inappropriate elements. First, we really enjoyed watching the movie because of the humor. There were many jokes that lightened the mood. We especially laughed at Pain and Panic's comment after Hades, their master, fell into the river of dead. Secondly, we enjoyed the movie for its educational value. The movie really conveyed a positive message. This message was that one must continue to be dedicated and show passion for those things that are true and good. Furthermore, the movie helped us learn about the ancient Greek gods and goddesses. Despite the great attributes of the movie, we all agreed that some of the content was a bit inappropriate. We believe that the movie contained too much kissing and "lovey-dovey" interaction. We also thought that some of the scenes were a bit scary and creepy, especially in the Underworld. Overall, even though the movie had a few drawbacks, we gave it 19 thumbs up out of 24.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJacob Haimovitz December 3, 2012

Hercules is too scary for kids

Hades firey stuff in Hercules is too scary for kids and gore and intense scary stuff is too scary for kids
Teen, 16 years old Written byJoseph Rock February 28, 2012

Come on Disney,you didn't even try on this one!

The animation on this movie is just HORRIBLE! Its soo ugly.It is VERY ANNOYING! Watch Charlie & The Chocolate Factory instead.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTeenParent15 January 24, 2012

Scary at some parts

This is a really good movie. There are some parts that would be scary for little kids (mostly the underworld scenes) but you can always fast forward those parts. Meg acts a little sexual but it's not that bad. And it got me interested in learning about Greek mythology.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLaLa567 January 2, 2012

Who puts the "glad" in "gladiator?" HERCULES!!!!

Just because Its not accurate, doesn't mean its not good. This is a movie, not a history lesson! I really like megara because she's witty and smart. Although this is a disney movie, its more aimed for the older kids.
Kid, 12 years old August 11, 2011

Good for people unformillyer with Greek Myths

Well I was kind of disappointed because I'm obsessed with Greek myths so I saw how many things they got wrong, still it was enjoyable.
Kid, 10 years old July 2, 2011

luv!!

I first saw it when I was 5 and today I saw it with a three year old and she loved it!!! I highly recmend it. it shows you to be ture to your heart
Teen, 13 years old Written byrobinrunner March 31, 2011

A infamouse greek tale told by a kid-friendly disney picture.

A movie about the Gods & Goddesses and greek mythology without all the blood, cusses, and plain old boringness. Hercules is the story of an outcast who finds out he is the son of Zeus, and that to be with the rest of his family on Mt. Olympus he must prove himself worthy by bieng a hero. Parents might want to talk about how the Underworld and Hades represent h.e.double-hocky-sticks and the devil. Philitites, a satre training Hercules is a player in this movie and flirts a lot, but nothing goes farther than his come-ons (besides a smooch at the end) Hades; the villain in the movie may be scary to the youngsters. spoiler alert for parents: The scariest part is somewhere towards the end where Hercules must swim through a sea of moaning dead bodies to get to his dyeing love Megera. You see him slowly ageing and beging to die. He doesn't though, and niether does Meg. Parents should also be advise of a fight where Hercules cuts a gooey head off a monster repeatedley.