Rollicking Halloween fun for tweens and up.

a great movie

not all that scary a good film 4 kids love a must see

Great movie with good laughs!

I really enjoyed it.It was interesting to see Sarah Jessica Parker in that character. It was a little unrealistic but,it was a Halloween movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypeace6001 October 14, 2011

A great Halloween classic!

Its a great Halloween oldie, I think maybe kids that are NOT that sensitive, but I personally thought it was a unique and really bewitching movie.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bylittleone522 February 19, 2011

Beware of the word "Virgin"

A great movie for the whole family. My only concern is the constant use of the word "virgin" as this may lead to an uncomfortable question from your children. Depending on how easily spooked your kids get, this movie may also contain some frightening scenes for the little ones. The message in this movie is clear and a possitive one as it shows that family and friends stick together. There really isnt any bad language in this movie. As I said before my only concern was the use of the word "virgin" so I leave it up to parents to decide if this movie is appropriate for their child.
Parent Written byScratchDad November 3, 2014

cute and silly, "virgin" every 5 minutes

I had originally held off watching this with my kids after reading the Common Sense review. Luckily after to talk to MY peers I felt more secure in showing it to my 5 and 8 year old. I have to stress there's very little to be worried about in this movie other than the word "virgin." There are a couple of scary moments but the biggest is at the top of the movie and a kid dies in that scene but really I don't think my kids even knew that happened. Even the mean bullies are pretty tame. There's no swearing. Violence is limited to sparks coming out of a witch's hands and zapping kids. The later "scary" scenes are mixed with silliness. My kids loved it: both of them. For people I knew I'd say this film is fine for 5 or 6 year old, but I'm saying 7 to be safe. I'm writing my first review for this movie just because the official one seems SO off. I'll reiterate "virgin" is used a 100 times in this movie so you may get asked about that but other than that it's a perfect Halloween time movie.
Parent Written bytarmale September 30, 2011

Good movie with some risque language

I love this movie! My kids watched it when they were little and it was just fine then. However, since this is a Disney moive I'm surprised about the word "virgin" being used constantly in the movie as in "the candle was lit by a virgin". Now I don't like them watching it as much. They could have easily used the word "child" as it is after all a children's movie
Teen, 14 years old Written bysarah_emily October 21, 2011

Think Logically

I've been watching this movie since I was seven years old. The movie always made me laugh, and the witches were more silly than evil. If anything, occasional profanity would be the one "iffy" part of it. And the average 7 year old wouldn't understand any of the sexual references.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bycaribbeandream November 3, 2015

Classic Halloween movie for teens and above

We look forward to watching this movie every Halloween. There is a reason why this movie is still going strong 20 years after it's release. It's a classic.
Kid, 7 years old June 28, 2014

The 3 Witches

There was a little violence but the film was funny and really good for kids my age.
Adult Written byJacieDaize October 19, 2011

It's not for kids or adults!

VERY sexual in talk. Some of which is talking about nudity and private parts. Loved it growing up but now that I know what it's talking about I was very shocked and had to turn it off! It's not for kids nor for adults either.
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag January 3, 2013

Pure entertainment... some scary content.

"Hocus Pocus" is a Halloween comedy released in 1993. -------------------------- Nowhere meant to be any serious, "Hocus Pocus" is quite a lot of fun. It became a cult classic over the years, especially to those who were born in the 1990s or later, and for many families it is the traditional Halloween film. Yes, it is not great, but still, you get what you're most likely expecting from a movie like this: a sweet Halloween movie, with minor scares, much comic relief and not much to think about. But, let's face it: the movie nowhere intended to be more than that. There are no great actors, not much story and at least one plot hole. But anyway, it doesn't matter with this one, the fun isn't spoiled because of the fact. In conclusion, "Hocus Pocus" is an entertaining film with lots of silly fun, and perfect if you look for a movie you can watch on Halloween. -------------------------------------- (SPOILERS may follow:) Being a Halloween comedy, this is a movie that may scare younger viewers. But also, there are many moments of comic relief. There is a zombie character (but he is a good one), and at two points, his head falls off. And in one scene, his fingers get torn off by a manhole. All this is comic, and he never has pain or something, and continues "living". A cat (actually an enchanted boy) gets run over by a car, but because of a spell quickly comes back to life. It is hard to rate this movie, it aims at younger viewers and because of its many, many moments of comic relief it is handable, but there are surely many children who will be frightened. But with parental guidance, it should be okay for younger viewers around 6.
Adult Written byFelicity1169 August 21, 2012

Still my favorite Halloween Movie

I loved this movie as a kid and I still do. It's cheesy and outdated but some how I still find it enjoyable. I watch it every year with my family along with Halloween Town and Charlie Brown. There is some iffy sex stuff but it really does go over most kids heads like the saying goes. You might have to explain what a virgin is just because they use the term so much. It can also be a little scary but honestly what fun is Halloween with out a scary movie?
Kid, 12 years old December 2, 2011

Hocus Pocus 101

Don't even bother with this movie. It is very sexual, creepy, and the language use is out of control! I am sure some 11 year olds might enjoy this, but I hated it! :(
Teen, 16 years old Written byFrankieStineMon... November 4, 2010

best for 2+ if there not scared. some r. it depends.

common sense, epic fail. my cousinns were 2(i think hard to remember havent seen them in 2 years) and 3. i think austin(2) wached it, but i know tori(3)wached it. the blond one is not so bad. and it is verry good. my cousin(s) werent scared. they loved it. i was8 or 9 when i wached it. no problem there. :)
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written byRunesong October 13, 2011

Good tween Halloween fun, if you can get past some mildly "iffy" content.

This movie is another tween pick with an appropriate amount of scare minus the gore. Based loosely on the Salem witch trials, the story centers around 3 "real" witches that return in the present as a result of a curse they cast on the town when originally sentenced to death in the past. There are a couple of unnecessary words (see main review above) & a few mild sexual references, such as the use of the word "virgin" in reference to spell requirements which result in the use of a young girl to light a candle & Sarah Jessica Parker's sometimes flirtatious, although childish & obviously unstable, character. The children are positive role models that stick together & try to do the right thing as they learn the history of the town & it's famous witches, despite the threat of personal peril. The evil, but bumbling, witches are comical most of the time, never too scary despite being out to get the town's children, & are eventually foiled again. Overall, a playful Halloween adventure for tweens!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bydramaqueen@hotm... September 2, 2011

a fun halloween movie yay!!!

fun halloween movie i think its great for all ages fun halloween movie yay!
Parent of a 1, 4, 5, and 8 year old Written byUTMomof4 October 30, 2010
This movie scared me when I was a kid, I was about 8 when I watched it. I think there are more sexual references than people are remembering, the blond witch is really slutty. I won't be letting my 8 year old and younger kids watch it. I'd say wait until they are 11 or 12.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMadelineMini November 8, 2014

A Great Halloween Classic!

This movie is hilarious and not too scary for younger kids! There is some inappropriate humor including the Madonna costume and the devil, but it just slips through children's minds. Overall a great classic for the whole family to enjoy!
Kid, 12 years old October 23, 2011

Pointless, DO NOT SEE MOVIE

I've watched this movie 2 times and I still have the same opinion: it's VERY STUPID. It's very pointless and it was just a waste of time watching it.