All member reviews for Holes

Great movie respects its audience's intelligence.

Adult Written bytjdavison April 9, 2008

Very Faithful Adaption of a Great Book for Kids (and Adults)

It is surprising to me how passionate many 10 - 13 year old boys are for the book. There has been a great deal of anticipation since they became aware that the movie was being made. Now that it has arrived, they won't be disappointed. Louis Sacher wrote quite a cinematic book and also the screenplay and it is obvious he knows his characters and his audience. I was very impressed with how "clean" the movie is. I can imagine the justification to add stronger language because "that's the way boys talk to each other." Instead the "bad words" are very few and very mild. The cast is excellent. Very good work from all the principals. Great lessons about tolerence, poverty, friendship, and responsibility told in subtle, appealing ways.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHemingway October 26, 2009

Best Movie

This is good movie if you want to learn how to stay out of trouble.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBloodeka January 21, 2011

Gr8 4 All Ages!!

i liked this movie.... it thought it had a nice (but not very exiting) story to it, and all ages should be aloud to watch it unless your a complete sook.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJoey123 June 22, 2009

Preview for youger viewers...

I loved this movie. Unfortunatly, there is quite a bit of language for a kids movie. a--, h-ll, d--n, crap, etc... The Lord's name is also taken in vain multiple times. The violence of the movie is slightly disturbing, even though there is never any gore.
Teen, 14 years old Written byroad December 18, 2010

evil warden

i love this movie. the warden is EVIL. when stanley's lawyer was angry at her for imprisoning stanley, i thought "go morengo"
Kid, 11 years old December 17, 2010

I hated this movie!! In my opinion it was really boring and some of the things there could scare your children and will also set a bad influence. A few not the everyday nice kind of words. So I beg you, do not watch this movie!!
Adult Written bySFDad April 9, 2008

Graet Movie for kids and parents.

This movie is based on a great book, and my kids loved it...as well as the book. It really typifies the kind of family movies that should be made far more often. check it out with your kids.
Adult Written byspongebobrocks22 April 9, 2008

bad for young kids

this is a movie that has lots of bad words and violence
Kid, 10 years old July 5, 2015

Good movie. But PG-13 is beter

It was a pretty good movie. but there were some bad parts. (spoilers coming) at one point the Warden calls the boys A--'s and Mr sir smokes at the end, Zero barfs, and the Warden scratches Mr sir in the face. The reason I think it should be rated PG-13 is because of all that. Overall the movie is pretty good, but not the best I've ever seen. If your thinking of seeing this movie, see Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black pearl instead. Its better!
Kid, 11 years old February 28, 2015

Great Story Line!

Amazing story line and plot! Love it! Some scary parts (blood, guns) This movie is where a boy is accused for stealing shoes and goes to a camp where they have to dig holes. This is a really tense movie, but good for tweens. Kids under 12 might not understand the story line and might think its boring. Some intense violence small kids (under 10) can't handle. Some language and drinking and smoking. Lots of violence and some good role models and messages.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 8, 2012

Some themes may not be okay for younger kids.

My stepdaughter has nightmares about this movie. It is definitely geared toward a little older audience. The thing that got her was the snake bite, how the lady let the snake bite her so she would die. This really affected her. It's not off for age 8, it's just pause. You really need to know your child. Some kids are really affected by death, and this movie has a more realistic feel. It's not just silly violence, it's really more of an intelligent movie, so it feels real. There's a lot of bodies in coffins and stuff, so it could be scary. Just beware.
Kid, 10 years old December 15, 2010

Um, get it!

Awesome movie!
Kid, 10 years old August 9, 2010

Very creative movie.
Kid, 9 years old December 23, 2009

Awesome movie, but a little strong language for PG

Holes is a terrrific movie. There are a few BLOODLESS dead bodies seen, people held at gunpoint, and intense close calls. Also it has a few bad words in it (2 uses of d**m, 2 or 3 uses of h**l, and one 1 use of jack***). Also filling in the "holes" may be hard for the youngest of viewers too. But on the plus side Holes has a good message of destiny, teamwork, and friendship. I recomend holes to anyone 8 and up.
Adult Written byCarrieAnnPatrick April 9, 2008

Absolutely inappropriate for elementary students

If your elementary school has this movie on their list of media choices. You want to review this movie before they show it. It deals with too many social and emotional concepts for your elementary student to understand, comprehend or even think about dealing with at this age. It will leave them with an uneasy feeling trying to work through the emotions they are left with.
Adult Written bypet_lover April 9, 2008

LUV THIS MOVIE

THIS IS A MUST WATCH FOR OLDER CHILDREN AND TWEENS AND IS ENJOYABLE FOR ALL AGES
Educator Written byWorkmanbsa May 27, 2014

Make the Older Kiddos Think

This is a challenging film. It has a rather extensive plot that it explains very well, a pretty dark look into racial tensions, and a reminder that not everyone in law enforcement is on your side. That said for an older child (8+) this movie is still easy enough to follow. As long as you go in ready to explain why they are being so mean to the black man, or what is a family curse, you will be just fine. The only complaint I have is that for a kids movie there is a bit of curses muttered. Nothing too obscene but that's probably what got it the PG rating.
Kid, 11 years old September 28, 2011

Good movie that mature 8 year olds could see.

We watched it in class today and its really good. I actually like it more than the book. Its not too violent, you see a charachter get shot when he is in his boat, and poisonus lizards bite a woman. But other than that, its fine. The langauge is really nothing, an old man yells 'thats to d-mn bad' but thats pretty much it. Its a good movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEowynBear March 7, 2011

Really Good Movie!!

I really liked the movie and book. I think the little song in it is cool and the flashbacks. I think that if I had to go there, I would have been okay with it but that is mostly because I would not like having to go to jail on a college application.
Teen, 13 years old Written byboomer77 February 27, 2011