Parent Written byL G October 8, 2016

surprisingly interesting and enjoyable

We picked this movie because it was featured on a top 30 kids movies on netflix list. I enjoyed it because it had good character development and a complex story, and delved into real world issues - I was actually surprised how much I liked it. There was some violence, but not more than most comics or superhero cartoons. There is a shooting off in the distance where someone is killed, and there is reference to lynching, because part of the storyline is in that time period. There is bullying from both kids and adults, so it may not be appropriate for younger children. It starts off a little slow, and at first my kids wanted to turn it off, but we encouraged them to give it a chance, and then they liked it.
Adult Written byclhallen April 9, 2008

Spiritual and funny movie for such a harsh setting.

The movie "Holes" was my favorite for 2003. I think that it could become a popular "cult" film, like "The Princess Bride." It made me laugh, especially when the Warden tells X-ray that he can have "an extra shower token and a snack" as a reward for supposedly finding the lipstick tube. It shows how a sincere guileless person like Stanley can respond positively to a negative environment, helping other people on the way. It has a message about our relationship to our ancestors, and to others in our cultural tradition. Captures the "magic realism" of some Latin American literature. The ending is breathtakingly spiritual, but avoids maudlin sentimentality: boys eating onions in a desert oasis. A bit reminiscent of the "well in the wilderness" theme of St. Exupery's "Little Prince."
Adult Written byadrian April 9, 2008

An awesome movie for the whole family

This was a great movie to watch with the kids. I don't usually enjoy many kids movies because of their poor writing and implausibility. This one was a great relief. Awesome story, funny characters, and some very good messages made this movie one I could recommend to anyone.
Adult Written bynglenn April 9, 2008

Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful!

Adult Written byEliMama April 9, 2008
Adult Written bysting April 9, 2008

Great!!

I really love this movie! It plays a big part on being friends, which kids need these days. Also being honest. It has a good story line that both kids and adults can follow. A great movie to watch!!